InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ That Green-Eyed Demon ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen


Chapter 30: That Green-Eyed Demon

Maruku had given up wasting his arrows in favor of chasing the youkai he'd been aiming for. He was faster than the other winged demon, and easily caught hold of its leg before it could fly higher, using his own momentum to swing the attacker to the side. The demon faltered as it was thrown off balance when the windwalker released his hold.

Maruku quickly turned to fly after, forcing his opponent to sweep along the ground to avoid crashing. He was able to grab the demon's ankle once more, deliberately bracing his wings to slow their forward progress. The youkai turned its head and glared, shaking its leg to dislodge the windwalker's hand, but to no avail.

Maruku winced slightly as he noted the fairly youthful features of his opponent. The boy was no older than Marieko. Ataru's promise of power must have drawn him and others of similar age...

The demon stopped and swung around to swipe at Maruku's grip while the older winged youkai was slightly distracted. It grinned and shot forward, grabbing branches off the nearest trees and throwing them back at the windwalker.

Maruku easily dodged the projectiles, grabbing one right from the hand of the demon before it could turn and throw.

The young youkai looked at its hand in surprise, before seeing the windwalker flying right beside it.

"Looking for this?" Maruku asked with a grin. He swung the branch, receiving a satisfying thump as it connected with the demon's shoulder.

The boy caught the other end of the branch and yanked. Maruku let go, sending the youkai backwards by its own force. It righted itself and flew back towards him, swinging the arm holding the branch back in preparation for hitting the windwalker in return.

Maruku didn't give it the time to finish the maneuver, pausing in his own flight as the demon charged. His fist struck the winged youkai's jaw, reversing its forward motion. The branch fell from its loose grip as it lost height. The demon's body tore up dirt and grass as it skidded along the ground, coming to rest some twenty feet away.

When it didn't immediately get up, Maruku half-turned back to the others to see where he might be needed, frowning slightly in regret.

Two more demons had joined the battle, swooping towards Sango.

The demon exterminator stood frozen in place, wide eyes fixed on the faster of the two winged youkai. A malicious grin spread on its lips as it came closer.

Sango's breath caught. She never thought she'd see such an evil look aimed in her direction. She never thought she'd see such an expression coming from him ever... He was a gentle healer, not a fighter...

Golden hair framed a familiar tanned face.

"N-Nik... o-rai?" she whispered.

The winged demon bore down on her as she could do nothing but stare.

"Sango! Move!"

She registered the voice calling her, but couldn't force her limbs to obey.

"Sango!"

"But I thought..." she murmured disbelievingly, shaking her head slightly in denial. He'd been so kind. How could he...?

"Sango! Move, damn it!"

The demon was almost on top of her. Only a few more feet, and it would be within easy striking range.

Seconds later, something barreled into her from the side, knocking her to the ground.

The tangle of purple and black rolled to a stop, dust settling.

Miroku pushed himself up by his arms, but Sango stopped him, clutching his robes and burying her face in the fabric.

"It wasn't him," the demon exterminator whispered.

Miroku couldn't make out what she muttered into his robes. "What?"

She pulled away slightly, taking a deep breath. "It wasn't him."

"Who?" The monk's brows drew together in confusion.

"Nikorai." Sango shook her head, clutching tighter at the purple material in her hands. "I thought it was him, but it wasn't."

She hadn't looked up, and so missed slight pain that flashed in his eyes. "How do you know?" he asked, keeping his voice as neutral as he could.

"This one had green eyes, not blue."

"You could see--"

Miroku dropped the sentence, pushing himself away and raising his staff to block the claws aimed for his back. This wasn't the time to be dwelling on personal matters! They were in the middle of a battle!

Both he and Sango rolled away, in opposite directions, when the Nikorai-look-alike drew back to strike again.

Miroku leaped to his feet, spinning around, only to throw himself back down to the hard earth as the second of the two demons he'd seen earlier, a rather rough-looking female, flew past.

"Hey, you stupid bird! Over here!"

The monk's head flew up at Shippo's yell.

The female youkai's eyes narrowed as she noticed the kitsune.

Shippo set his feet, one hand behind his back. When the demon drew closer, he threw the rock he'd been hiding as hard as he could. He smirked when his aim proved perfect, striking the demon right between the eyes.

Of course, this didn't really hurt the youkai, but only angered her.

The little fox demon had counted on that very reaction. He stuck his tongue out at the demon, waiting for her to charge.

She didn't disappoint, picking up speed as she flew towards him.

Biting his lip, Shippo shifted from foot to foot, knowing that if his timing was off, his plan wouldn't work.

'3... 2... 1... Go!' he thought, diving to the side and covering his head.

He waited for a second before looking up, peeking through his fingers. "Good job, Kirara!" he cried, jumping up and rushing towards where the transformed fire cat sat on top of the winged youkai.

The demon groaned and tried to push the great feline's weight off of her back.

Shippo smacked her over the head with another rock before she could get very far. The demon's head slumped back to the ground with an audible thump, and the spread of dust.

The kitsune turned away, grinning and brushing his hands together in satisfaction.

He squealed and began to run when he realized the blond-haired demon Miroku and Sango had been fighting was now coming straight for him.

"Help!"

"Hiraikotsu!" he heard Sango yell, but didn't dare look behind him.

A loud thud followed the demon exterminator's call.

Shippo ran several more feet before glancing over his shoulder.

The winged demon that had been chasing him was on the ground momentarily, but it hadn't yet been put out of commission. It rose quickly, and launched back into the air before anyone could catch it.

The kitsune grabbed another rock and threw it, hitting the youkai in the back. He bent to grab another missile, hoping to cause enough of a distraction that Sango could get another hit in.

Maruku beat her to the first chance, however, swooping in behind the demon with a large tree branch. He swung, the youkai sailing forward with the force of the blow.

Sango's bone boomerang came at it from the opposite direction, knocking it in the chest.

The demon dazedly fell to the ground, head lolling in the dirt as it blinked in confusion.

Miroku dashed over, studying the face and blank green eyes for a moment before giving the youkai a solid punch to the jaw.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>

"Come on, is that the best you can do?" Inuyasha taunted, swiping at the brown-robed demon to his left while ducking to avoid the pale-haired one on his right. The third, whose wings were off-white with gray tips, he'd just thrown into a tree, and it had yet to detangle itself from the branches.

His claws caught in the demon's robe, but the brown fabric was jerked away with a tearing sound as the winged youkai leaped backwards.

Inuyasha spun around, shifting to the side to avoid the brunt of the heavy tree branch aimed for his chest. It hit him in the arm, his quick movements having startled the demon holding it into loosening its grip. The hanyou's claws dug into the wood as he yanked the branch away from his light haired attacker, tossing it carelessly off to the side.

Startled at the faint whoosh of air, Inuyasha glanced up towards a tree further down the path, ducking just in time as an arrow whizzed past his head.

"Back to that game, are we?" he muttered, casting glances at the remaining two demons as he charged towards the one wielding the bow and arrows.

Fangs bared in a menacing grin, Inuyasha kept up his pace, allowing the chasers to gain on him. He couldn't kill them, by Maruku's request, but he could cause some serious damage in other ways.

The winged youkai shooting at him ran out of missiles after it fired off a few more arrows. With a growl, it launched off the tree and flew towards him at full speed.

He could feel the two behind him grasping at his streaming hair, but missing in their attempts. 'This is too easy,' he thought idly as he ran. 'Did that Ataru send his stupidest clan members after us?'

Inuyasha suddenly put on a burst of speed, racing ahead of the pale-haired one and the brown-robed one who were chasing him, on a crash course with the one ahead.

'Just a little bit further...'

"Hiraikotsu!"

Sango's loud cry, along with the boomerang flying towards the youkai, gave Inuyasha the chance he needed.

While the two winged demons behind him were distracted, and flying faster to escape the airborne weapon's path, the hanyou ducked and rolled out of the way.

The three demons crashed headlong into each other, falling to the earth in a heap of dust and floating feathers.

Inuyasha rushed over to inspect his handiwork, quickly knocking two of the demon's heads together again when they began to move.

He blinked slowly, taking several deep breaths.

"Do you think that was it?" he heard Sango ask behind him and turned to face the others.

They all seemed well, if a bit weary from the battle.

"I am not certain, but I do not sense any others in this area," Maruku replied, glancing around.

Inuyasha snorted, inspecting his claws nonchalantly. "The others probably got scared and flew back home."

"I expected there to be more resistance. Something seems out of place."

The others remained silent as their breathing and heart rates slowly returned to normal.

"So that was supposed to be an ambush?" Shippo asked several moments later, climbing up to Miroku's shoulder.

"Some ambush," Inuyasha muttered, folding his arms across his chest.

"There could be others waiting further ahead," Miroku put in, nodding towards the path.

"Indeed. Ataru could merely have sent these as a test."

Inuyasha's widened as he shouted, pointing one clawed finger at the pile of demons he'd recently tricked into taking each other down. "If this is the test, then what the hell were those ones that took Kagome?"

"My conviction that they were not sent by Ataru is stronger now that we have fought these opponents here."

"Then who do you think--"

Miroku quietly, but firmly, cut the hanyou's tirade off. "Inuyasha, we do not have the time to argue now. As you pointed out earlier, we must hurry to find Lady Kagome."

"Keh. Fine."

With a toss of his long hair, the hanyou loped off down the path, leaving the others to follow behind, shaking their heads.

No one noticed a detransformed Kirara sneaking off under the bushes.