InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Aerial Assault ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 7: Aerial Assault


"Is it Kouga?" Sango asked, waiting for some signal as to exactly which direction the shards were coming from.

"No," was Inuyasha's almost immediate response. "Stink's worse than that wimpy wolf."

"Which way?"

Kagome bit her lip, concentrating hard on the approaching shards. "I can't... That way!" she turned around and pointed off somewhere in the woods around them.

"We would be easy targets moving through untraveled parts of the forest," Miroku said, looking through the trees in the direction the girl indicated.

"They're much closer," Kagome added.

"Then we'll just let them come to us," Inuyasha smirked, cracking his knuckles.

"It does not look like we have to wait too long," Miroku commented, holding his staff in front of him defensively as they could all hear the trees nearby rushing with whatever was moving towards them.

It suddenly became quiet, seconds before something vaulted out of the tree in front of them. It landed with hardly a sound as they all whirled to face it.

"Ah, so now I've found you," the demon grinned, red eyes flashing. It looked almost like the winged youkai that had confronted them the day before, only this one was female, or so it seemed. The sleeveless robe she wore was torn and so full of grime it was hard to tell what the original color was. The same went for the hair, although it appeared to be a dark color, to go with the nearly-black wings protruding from her back.

"Could this be who we were to wait for?" Miroku asked the others, watching every move the youkai made.

"Ah, so you were waiting for me, were you?" the demon replied, it's evil smile growing wider. "Then that will just make things easier-- give me the shards."

"I thought she didn't want the shards?" Shippo asked from Kagome's shoulder, eyes wide in confusion.

"It was probably just a trick," Inuyasha growled. "You think we're just going to give you the shards, demon?"

The winged female cocked her head to the side as if considering the question. "If you won't hand them over, then I'll just have to take them by force!" she cried, launching herself at the hanyou.

The others quickly moved out of the way as Inuyasha jumped and landed behind the youkai, narrowly missing catching her wing in his claws.

"You have to get through me first!"

"All the more fun for me, then," the demon responded, again throwing herself at her opponent.

This time, Inuyasha caught the youkai and flipped her over into a tree, the impact shaking leaves and feathers to the forest floor. The demoness was back on her feet instantly, ready to attack.

"Where's the shard, Kagome?" Inuyasha called as he blocked yet again. The demon was attacking so quickly, he had no time to draw Tetsusaiga.

"There's more than one! But I... I don't know," she whispered. The hanyou had apparently forgotten she couldn't see. The other youkai was moving so fast, she could only sense where it was at the time, not tell exactly where on its body the shards were located. "I don't know."

The demoness pushed off of the ground, and hovered in the air above Inuyasha. "This is quite fun, but I want the Shikon shards now. Give them to me!" She then flew down at the half-demon, knocking him to the ground before shooting up again.

"Hiraikotsu!" Sango cried, throwing the giant boomerang at the winged youkai.

It was easily dodged, and the demon exterminator had to duck as the wind from the demon's wings threw it off course.

Miroku held out his arm and reached for the prayer beads that kept his air void under control, but Sango stopped him. "No! We have to get the shard first!"

"This is no fair fight, Sango!" Miroku yelled as he glared up at the demon chasing after Inuyasha. The hanyou had managed to avoid a direct hit since the first one, but still had no chance to draw his sword.

"Who said anything about fighting fair?" the winged demon smirked at the others below, this time changing direction and zooming towards the rest of the group. Miroku, Sango, and Shippo jumped out of the way, but Kagome stood rooted to the spot.

"Damn it, Kagome, move!" Inuyasha yelled, running towards her. He managed to knock them both to the ground and roll out of the way just before the youkai swooped past.

The hanyou jumped to his feet and finally managed to draw Tetsusaiga. "Where are the shards, Kagome? Tell me!"

"I don't know!" she cried, still lying huddled on the ground where she'd landed. "I don't know!"

"Then I'll just have to hack it to pieces and find out!" Inuyasha raised the transformed sword and took a few racing steps before jumping towards the demon in the air.

The winged youkai turned just as the sword arced toward its right wing, so all Inuyasha caught was air. The demoness managed to push him out of the way, throwing him into the tops of the trees. He fell to the ground with a loud thud, but slowly picked himself back up.

Sango threw Hiraikotsu once more, hoping to distract the youkai enough that Inuyasha could stand and get in one good hit before he was attacked once more.

The hanyou's swing was once again dodged. He avoided the flapping wings on his way down, and launched back up again as soon as his feet touched the ground.

He managed to clip the demoness' left wing this time. She shrieked in outrage and pain, landing on the ground a few feet away.

"You'll pay for that!"

Inuyasha was thankful she was staying on the ground for the time being, but knew he needed to act fast if he was going to keep her that way.

"Only if you can catch me first, you overgrown crow!" he yelled in return, charging with Tetsusaiga held ready to swing.

"Quite easily done!" One grimy hand fisted in his robes and threw him up and over, into another tree.

'Damn, she's fast!' he thought, getting to his feet. It had to be the Shikon shards. But how were they going to find them without Kagome's help?