InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Unexpected Apology ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 6: Unexpected Apology


"Sango, can you tell me more about those windwalkers? You said you'd heard of them before?" Kagome walked alongside the demon exterminator, placing each foot carefully. It was slow going overall for the group, but she'd managed not to trip as much as she had the day before at the more leisurely pace.

"There's really not that much that is known about them. Some consider them to be merely legends, they're so rarely seen."

"Keh. Legendary? Didn't look that great to me," Inuyasha snorted derisively.

Sango nodded in response, smiling a bit at the hanyou. "I didn't mean that they're all-powerful. They just tend to stick to their own kind, and not bother others. They actually are a quite peaceful race of youkai, from what I have heard of them."

Kagome giggled. "Sounds like they wouldn't give you much of a challenge, Inuyasha."

He grunted in response, turning his head to scan the woods around them as he walked.

"Windwalkers aren't particularly strong. They can fly, and shapechange like a lot of youkai," Sango continued. "That's why they keep to themselves. No one even knows where their villages are. I've heard that they live high in the trees. But if they shapechange, they could live as birds, and not in their human-like form."

"Do you know anything of their leaders? The one that we saw apparently wasn't one of them, since he kept referring to 'his lady'."

Sango thoughtfully looked at the ground, a small frown on her face. "Actually, no. I believe I may actually be one of the only people from... my village... that has seen one." She cleared her throat, pausing a moment, then went on more quietly. "I said before they're almost legends only. I suppose I should count myself fortunate to have seen one. And there's still the possibility that we will see at least one more, if what he said was true."

"What do you think 'his lady' could want? It would have to be something big if it's in return for Shikon shards, or even information about them. And why wouldn't they want them for themselves? I suppose it could be a trap..."

"Didn't think of that before, did you?" Inuyasha replied sarcastically.

"Don't be a jerk, Inuyasha." Kagome resisted the urge to stick her tongue out at him, but barely.

"But he's so good at it," Shippo piped up from the girl's shoulder.

"You little brat," Kagome heard the hanyou mutter before Shippo squealed and leaped off her shoulder.

"I don't think those two will ever change," Sango muttered, chuckling.

Kagome was shaking her head at the two demons' antics. "I think I'd be afraid if they did. I'd wonder what had possessed one or the other of them if they started acting nice towards each other on a regular basis."

"So do you believe we are walking into a trap, Sango?" Miroku asked from behind them. The monk had been silent for most of the day, and startled the two girls with his question.

The demon exterminator nodded her head. "It is a possibility, but as I said, the windwalkers are peaceful youkai. Unless they do really want the Shikon no Tama, there would be no reason to approach us. Perhaps there really is something they need us for, but I can't imagine what it could be."

"Hmm. If the male that approached us yesterday was anything to go by, perhaps the women will be quite attractive."

Sango turned and glared at Miroku. "Don't you ever think of anything else?"

"What? Did you not find the youkai to be quite handsome?"

Kagome rolled her eyes as Sango faced front and refused to acknowledge the question.

"Kagome! Help!" Shippo came running back towards them, followed closely by Inuyasha.

The hanyou tripped on something Shippo threw at the ground. The kitsune then launched himself at Kagome, nearly knocking her over as he scrambled up to her shoulder.

"Shippo, you need to be more careful. You nearly knocked Kagome down. She can't see you, remember?" Sango scolded.

"Sorry," Shippo squeaked in response, biting his lip and waiting for Kagome to reprimand him as well.

"Get over here, brat. I'll show you what a jerk I can be," Inuyasha growled, standing a few in front of the others.

Kagome shook her head, frowning. "Just leave it alone. We need to keep going, not stand here waiting while you two fight like children."

Inuyasha folded his arms over his chest and snorted. "Well, it's not my fault we haven't gone very far today."

He realized his mistake when Kagome looked at the ground. His ears flattened back as he waited for her to 'sit' him. He did deserve it for that remark.

"I know," she merely replied quietly.

"Kagome... "

She shook her head, wiping at her eyes to clear the tears that formed readily.

"Kagome... I'm sorry." The words were so unexpected, and so quiet, she almost didn't believe she'd heard them. She knew he wouldn't repeat them if asked, however, and bit her lip, nodding slightly to acknowledge his apology.

"Let's go, then," Inuyasha muttered gruffly after a pause, then turned to continue on down the path.

"Wow," Shippo whispered to Kagome. He was about to say more, but the girl stopped him.

"Hush, Shippo." She didn't want Inuyasha to yell at the kitsune, thinking he was making another wisecrack comment. She was still digesting the fact that the hanyou had voluntarily apologized.

"Do you know anything more about these windwalkers, Sango?" Miroku asked after the group had walked on a few feet.

She tilted her head to the side, running back through what she could remember others telling her about the winged youkai. "Something about the clans being split by wing color-- much like the different wolf packs. There's some kind of hierarchy among them, but I'm not sure where the one we saw could possibly fit in."

Kagome had only been half-listening to the other two humans as she walked. She was still pondering Inuyasha's apology, and what could be his reasons for actually taking the initiative to do so for once. Something else was beginning to pull at the back of her mind, though she was too deep in thought to recognize it. It was perfectly understandable, then, when she suddenly ran into him from behind, considering she could not see him in the first place.

"I- Inuyasha?" she asked as he turned around to steady her with a clawed hand on her arm.

He didn't respond. Instead, she could hear him sniffing the air.

"Inuyasha what is it?" Sango asked as she, too, stopped on the path.

Before he could reply, Kagome spoke in a surprised tone. "Shikon shards. Coming this way, fast."