InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Protector ❯ A Gift of Understanding ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silent Protector
December 24, 2005
By: AznAngel6767
A.N.: …must you remind me that I don't own the characters…. *sobs*
 
His eyes followed her every move. Watching her as she left the building with her mother; following her as they went shopping from store to store. It's been like this for the last couple of years. Him at the tender age of ten, and her, nine. At the moment she entered this world, he had been summoned to protect her and her alone. Watching, but never touching. Seeing, but never seen. Listening, but never heard.
He had always known that it was his duty… his destiny, but that didn't lessen the pain in his heart. Darkness was where he dwelled, but it was the light he longed for. Like his father before him, and his father before, this was his calling; this was why he lived: to protect.
 
“Kagome, watch out!” a female's voice screamed in fright, bringing him out of his thoughts. Snapping his eyes back to where the little girl had wandered off into the busy street, he ran to where she stood, frozen. Grabbing her by the waist, he threw them both onto the freshly cut grass of the park. Air entering his lungs in heavy pants, he looked down, only to find himself staring into sparkling brown orbs.
Swallowing carefully, he pushed himself off the little girl and stretched out a hand to help her up. She grabbed onto it, pulled herself straight, and kept holding on. At that moment, he felt his heart rate speed up, and it wasn't due to the accident that almost happened. Of that he was positive.
Abruptly, she smiled and wrapped her arms around his midsection, her head coming to rest just below his chin. Nuzzling into his chest, she whispered, “Thank you.”
“Kagome! Oh my God, Kagome! Are you okay?”
The voice snapped him out of his reverie, causing him to pull away. Turning his back, he ran back to where he belonged. The shadows.
 
“Happy birthday, Kags.” a male said as he hugged the girl.
“Thanks, Shippo. There's food over on that table. Go grab some before the other guests get here.” Kagome laughed as she watched him walk towards the table she indicated before turn back to greet the other people.
“Happy sweet sixteen, sis.” Arms wrapped themselves around her waist from behind.
“You said that already, bro. That's the tenth time.” She commented as she turned around to wrap her arms around the person's neck. “Where's mom?”
“Backyard. Entertaining the guests.”
She groaned, placing her head on his shoulder. “Let me guess, baby pictures?”
“Nope. Worse. Ballet videos,” he laughed.
“Souta! Why didn't you stop them?”
“Couldn't. She had put it on before I got there.” Her brother laughed whole-heartedly at her expense. “Besides Kagome, the videos aren't that bad.”
“Easy for you to say. You're not the one who's gonna be scarred for life.” The only response she received was him chuckling before giving her a quick kiss on the cheeks and wandering off to find his friends.
“Hey, there, Kagome. Happy birthday.”
Spinning around, she smiled as she was engulfed by a warm embrace. Hugging the person back, she sighed contentedly. It's been a while since she felt this happy.
“Thanks for coming, Miroku. And this time, do try to keep your hands to yourself.”
“Hey! That wasn't my fault. She fell and I merely helped her up,” he argued.
“Miroku. Helping her up does not require you to grope the poor girl. But anyways, how have you been? Sango coming today?”
“She should be, last time I checked. Told her I would pick her up, but she had to say no.” he rolled his eyes as she laughed. “But I've been doing fine. School's hell, but then again, it's always been hell.”
As she looking up to reply, a figure by the door caught her attention. Turning her eyes back to him, she whispered. “Sango just arrived. Go say hi.”
A nod was her only answer as he walked towards the door. Sango had been his steady girlfriend for the last four years. Finally! Someone who was brave enough to date the pervert. But with this relationship, Kagome couldn't tell which was braver: a girl willing to date a pervert, or a guy willing to date someone who could beat him up with one hand tied behind her back.
Taking a deep breath, she walked outside to the front of the house and closed her eyes. Absorbing the silence for a few minutes, she opened her eyes once more to glance around the neighborhood. Turning to walk back to the party, a box on the floor gave her pause. Bending, she took a closer look. Brows furrowing in confusion, she lightly ran her fingers over her name written on the package. Looking up once more, she tried to find the depositor, only to find no one.
Shrugging, she sat down on the sidewalk and began to open the container. A small gasp of wonder escaped her lips as her eyes landed on the simple chain within. A beautiful silver necklace reflected the sun's shine as she took it from the box. What caught her breath, however, was the engraving on the small angel. `You'll never be alone.'
The one statement caused tears to well up. Apparently, someone knew… someone understood how she truly felt. Looking back down, she grabbed the card gently.
For a beautiful princess that outshines any stars in the sky. For an angel whose heart is bigger than all others. I'll always be watching over you, keeping you safe from harm. Happy sixteenth birthday.
Your silent protector.
A smile graced her lips as she placed the chain around her slim neck. Unknown to her, a smile formed on someone else's lips as well.
 
A.N.: …how was it? A bit… different, shall we say, than what the original characters are like. Plz review, even if it's negative.