InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Small Moments ❯ A Kind Gesture ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Miroku paused, wiping the sweat from his forehead with a sleeve, and surveyed the area.

It was covered in debris; the demon horde had definitely done its job when it attacked the village of Taijiya. What had seemed like a good idea at the time, putting the village back in order to help pass the time while the slayer girl healed, was now beginning to look like an insurmountable task. He didn't think he would ever finish, even if the girl spent a month or more abed.

His gaze fell on the surly hanyou. Inuyasha had been mysteriously absent for much of the day, but now he was crouched nearby, watching Miroku with something akin to consternation in his eyes.

Amused, Miroku turned his attention back to the log he had been hauling. Judging by the size of it, it had once been part of a support beam for some building. He managed to drag it the last short distance to the fire and, expending more effort than he would have liked to admit, heaved it on top of the burning pile of timber. Sparks shone and drifted lazily upward, fading against the late afternoon sky.

He watched for a moment, entranced and calm.

"Just what are you up to, monk?" The peaceful moment was irreparably shattered by the irate hanyou's voice. Miroku sighed.

"Just cleaning up a bit," he replied amiably.

Inuyasha did not seem impressed by the explanation. He huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "What for?"

Miroku paused for a moment, considering. Finally, he decided, "It's simply a kind gesture."

Inuyasha gave him a dubious look, but had nothing more to say. For now, anyway.