InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Small Moments ❯ On the Road ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Four travelers had arrived together at the village of the Taijiya... but five left it.

On the surface, it was almost as if nothing had changed, but Miroku could feel the subtle ripple of the group's altered dynamic. He had not been entirely surprised to hear that Sango was going to be traveling with them for the time being - leave it to Kagome to make yet another new friend - but he took some interest in observing how each of them adjusted to the new addition. They were a strange procession, all things considered: a monk, a miko, a hanyou, a youkai, and now a Taijiya.

Inuyasha led the way, with the girls behind him and Miroku bringing up the rear. He seemed perfectly comfortable dictating their course, and did not receive much protest from the others. His way was as good as any until they got some sort of clue to the whereabouts of a jewel shard.

They let the afternoon slip by in silence or quiet conversation, content merely to wander. Inuyasha's posture was almost conspicuously rigid. But, Miroku noted, a keen eye would see the way he occasionally glanced backward, almost jealously, toward where Kagome walked beside Sango. He had lost his companion to the excitement of having a new, female friend.

For his part, Miroku was content to trail behind the others; he found this gave him a better vantage point, and not just because he now had not one, but two lovely ladies to observe. In any case, the girls were an interesting comparison. From looking at them, it was difficult to believe they were on an urgent quest, save for the slightest bit of melancholy in Sango's expression and posture. Kagome walked beside her, chatting animatedly, a stark contrast to Sango's more reserved disposition.

Kagome was a young woman, but she looked almost frail and girlish beside Sango's more mature figure, though his view was obstructed by the enormous weapon the Taijiya carried, hampering his ability to properly compare. He knew from previous experience that Kagome needed a protector or else was likely to be kidnapped or wounded in battle, but Sango was another story.

She could take care of herself, and quite handily, too. He had seen evidence of that firsthand. And not just during her initial fight with Inuyasha, but later, before they had left the village. She had seemed so sad and lonely that he'd forgotten he was trying to behave, but she'd stopped him before he could do anything inappropriate. And that, he had to admit, made him curious. Just what, if anything, would she let him get away with?

Kagome - and Inuyasha, ever-zealous protector - had not let him get away with much of anything. But Sango...

Just then, Shippou cast a baleful look over Kagome's shoulder, as if he could tell what Miroku was thinking. The monk feigned unperturbed innocence, but wondered how long it would take for his companions to realize he was no threat. Not that sort of threat, anyway.

It was the curse in his hand that might get him, and them, in trouble someday.