InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Small Moments ❯ Up to No Good ( Chapter 20 )

[ A - All Readers ]
It was dinner-time before the monk returned from wherever he had spent the day, slinking into the room as if he'd been there all along. The act, as well-performed as any he had attempted before, failed to impress.

"He's been up to no good," Kagome whispered.

"There's no other reason he'd have snuck off like that instead of staying to help with the demon extermination," Sango agreed, keeping her voice low so he would not hear or take offense. She was not as certain of the monk's guilt as Kagome was, but she had learned her lesson about not trusting the strange girl. If nothing else, Kagome had proved to be an excellent judge of character.

Failing to heed Kagome's warnings about Miroku's proclivities had earned Sango nothing but trouble thus far.

She remembered waking up after nearly drowning to find the monk on top of her, ready and willing to take advantage of her even in the middle of a dangerous battle... and nearly twitched. It was enough to make her lose her appetite; she kept eating only because it meant she did not have to say anything to him. This way, she could simply glower at him over her bowl and remain silent.

She had underestimated him before. She would not make that mistake again.

Not even when he was looking piteously innocent and confused, acting as if he knew nothing of what they were talking about. Unwilling to feel sorry for Miroku, she clamped down on her sympathy and turned it into skepticism. Even Inuyasha knew what the monk had been up to, and he wasn't afraid to say something about it.

"You were out picking up girls, weren't you?" the hanyou asked dryly.

"It's not what you think," Miroku protested, his voice calm.

Not a one of his companions believed him.