InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Small Story: A Tale of Rin ❯ Sesshomaru ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part III: Sesshomaru

Rin took in a deep nervous breath as she saw the palace in the valley. She had never been to Sesshomaru-sama's palace before and she was still astonished on how she had managed to find her way here without too many problems. It had taken her almost a month to find its location and now that she was here…her heart pounded. She was so scared and nervous that she couldn't stop shaking. She had taken a bath after finding it, and made herself presentable. She didn't want to be filthy from her travel. Yet…what would happen once she presented herself? What would she do? Her nervousness was getting the best of her.

Rin shook her head and gathered her courage, took another deep calming breath and headed toward the palace, unable to control the hope she felt.

Sesshomaru was sitting in his garden when turned to his servant, Jaken, with a dark look.

"Jaken."

The creature turned toward his master. "H-h-hai, Sesshomaru-sama?"

Sesshomaru turned to the doors. "There is youkai on my grounds. Be rid of it quickly. I do not wish to be disturbed."

Jaken bowed low. "Hai, Sesshomaru-sama. I will get rid of it quickly." Jaken hobbled off to the front doors, irritated. What youkai was stupid enough to trespass on Sesshomaru-sama's property? This youkai was certainly looking for a death wish. He opened the doors and approached the gate, sensing the youkai just beyond it. What could this youkai want here? It wasn't threatening…yet.

Jaken pushed open the gates and his jaw almost dropped. Standing before him was a beautiful young woman with black hair to her waist, one brown eye and one blue. She was wearing an elegant kimono and a soft fragrance was coming from her, as if she had just finished bathing. In her hands she was holding a bouquet of wild flowers, freshly picked. What did a youkai like her…? Jaken suddenly realized it. This stupid youkai was looking for Sesshomaru-sama's favors. Well, she was going to be sadly mistaken.

But before he could even open his mouth she spoke, with a small cry of joy. "Ah! Jaken-sama! It has been so long! You haven't changed at all since I last saw you!"

Jaken stared at the smiling girl for a beat before shaking his head and scowling at her. "Be gone, silly youkai. I don't know how you know who I am, but that is of no importance. I know why you are here; Sesshomaru-sama does not want to be disturbed by a stupid female youkai's who seeks his favors. Now be gone!"

The young youkai just blinked at him for a moment and then giggled. "Oh, Jaken-sama! You don't recognize me! I never even thought that this would happen! Would that mean that Sesshomaru-sama wouldn't recognize me either? Oh, goodness. I wasn't expecting this."

Jaken's eyes narrowed. "What are you blabbering about, youkai? Leave! You are trespassing on Sesshomaru-sama's private property. This is his palace! You are to leave-"

"What seems to be the problem, Jaken? Have you not been able to be rid of the youkai?"

Jaken turned around. "S-S-Sesshomaru-sama! Forgive me! I will be rid of her immediately!"

Sesshomaru looked at the woman standing at the gate…and his heart twisted. He froze. What… What was that? His…heart? That's right. He did have one of those, didn't he? He had forgotten. It had been so long… He stared at the youkai before him that had made him notice his heart once more. There was something familiar about her… Something he couldn't pinpoint… Her fragrance…her scent…

She smiled brilliantly, even though her eyes trembled. "Konnichiwa, Sesshomaru-sama. It has been a long time, ne?"

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. She knew him…?

"Sesshomaru-sama? Should I attack her or call your guards?"

Sesshomaru turned back to his servant. "That won't be necessary, Jaken… I will deal with this, since you are incapable."

The youkai took in a sharp breath. "Sesshomaru-sama, it wasn't Jaken-sama's fault. It was my own. I didn't even consider the possibility that neither of you would recognize me. It has been several years."

"I do not know you." Sesshomaru saw her stiffen a bit, but then she smiled at him again. That smile… Where had he seen it before?

"Gomen nasai. Perhaps I should leave. I have to rethink…" she trailed off, biting her lip and clenching her hands.

It was then that Sesshomaru noticed the bouquet of flowers she was holding. A memory flashed through his mind and an old scent invaded his senses. All he had noticed, despite his keen smell, had been her youkai scent. The scent of a demon dog like he. But with those flowers…suddenly he noticed another scent that was lightly laced beneath the smell of youkai. It was…

"Masaka."

Sesshomaru only stared at the youkai girl. She blinked and then looked back up at him curiously. She smiled at him and took a step forward. "Sesshomaru-sama? Do you remember me now?"

Sesshomaru could feel the curious gaze of his servant. Without looking at him, he said, "Jaken. Close the gates behind her. Now."

Jaken hurried to do as he was told, but he was confused. Sesshomaru-sama was letting her in? But why?

"Your name." Sesshomaru gazed at the girl. "Say your name."

The youkai smiled and handed Sesshomaru the flowers. "It's me. Rin."

Jaken collapsed on the floor. Sesshomaru could only stare at her as he took the flowers silently. Her smile never wavered.

Jaken quickly stood up and gazed at the youkai furiously. "How dare you, youkai! How dare you lie to Sesshomaru-sama! Now tell him your true name before you are destroyed!"

Rin giggled. "But Jaken-sama, that is my name. It has been years since I ran away, I got older. But I'm still me. I'm Rin."

Jaken was about to open his mouth again when Sesshomaru silenced him. The demon lord was still staring at the woman before him. "How? How is this possible? You…you are Rin. But…you are a youkai. Rin was a human child. Even if a youkai did take Rin, her soul would have been destroyed. There is no way you can be Rin…yet… you have her scent."

Rin nodded and took a step toward him. "I am Rin. I asked a dark Miko to help me become a youkai, yet not lose who I was." Rin grinned. "We succeeded. And I became a youkai and I'm still Rin." Rin lowered her head and whispered. "I am so sorry I ran away all those years ago, Sesshomaru-sama. But I was very confused about my…" she swallowed. "My place in your life. So I left so I could become a youkai and be more acceptable to you."

Sesshomaru could not believe it. Rin. The child that had taken care of him and that he, in return, had taken care of. The human child. She was an adult now…and a youkai. For him. "Rin."

Rin nodded, her fingers knotting with each other. She bit her lip lightly.

"You are a dog demon."

Rin nodded again and looked up. Sesshomaru found himself staring into her now demonic eyes-one brown and one blue. What…what was this feeling? He abruptly turned around, Jaken following at his heels.

"Sesshomaru-sama?"

He turned around to gaze at Rin. Her eyes trembled, but she still gave him a smile. "Should I leave, Sesshomaru-sama?"

He lifted an eyebrow and turned back around. "Follow me, Rin."

Rin's eyes lit up with joy. "Hai, Sesshomaru-sama!" And she followed after him, happiness overflowing from her.

* * *

A week later…

Rin was humming delightfully as she swept the floor of one of the palace rooms. Jaken-sama still didn't believe that she was Rin, but she didn't care. Sesshomaru-sama knew it was she and that was all that mattered. Jaken-sama had already given her the duties she was to do while she was staying at the palace. She really was no more than a servant, but nothing could dampen Rin's happiness. She was staying with Sesshomaru-sama again and she could stay with him forever. Nothing could make her unhappy now.

She heard the sweet music a flute coming in from the garden and her heart swelled. She had learned to play one in the years on her own, wanting to be able to do something special. She had also learned to take care of flowers and make them grow. It had helped her make money when she needed it, during hard times. She had always loved flowers.

She smiled and began to hum a song she had composed years ago-for Sesshomaru-sama. She didn't care what they had her do in the palace. As long as she was close to Sesshomaru-sama she was happy. Rin's heart was light.

Sesshomaru walked into the room that Rin was cleaning and stopped before entering. Her soft voice was humming a sweet tune he had never heard before…and she was reeking of happiness. Her joy flowed from her like an endless river and spread about her so that everything she touched seemed to glow with her delight. Her spirit was so free…so Rin.

When the child had left his side of her own will, Sesshomaru had felt a sadness he hadn't known he could feel. He said nothing all the way back to his palace and hadn't left since. He finally understood why he had never left the palace after Rin's departure. He had not wanted to run into her during his travels. He didn't know how he would have reacted if he had. Till this day, he still could not figure out the puzzle that was Rin. She still confused him and when she had left, allowing him freedom of her, Sesshomaru had only found himself thinking of her constantly and missing her presence.

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. Why was she cleaning? Had Jaken put her up to this? He would actually have to kill his servant after all. He had managed to avoid doing that for years, but this was going to far.

"Rin."

Rin stiffened for a moment and then relaxed, turning to the man who had spoken. "Sesshomaru-sama. Gomen. I was off in my own world; I didn't even sense your presence. What is it you need?"

Sesshomaru walked up to her and Rin couldn't stop the flush that crept up her neck to her face. He took the broom from her hands and tossed it aside, his golden eyes staring into hers. "That song you were humming, Rin. Where is it from?"

Rin gulped, her heart racing madly. She couldn't pull her gaze away from his. "I wrote it… Sesshomaru-sama. I wrote it for… the flute." She couldn't say she wrote it for him!

Rin's heart stopped when Sesshomaru lightly took her hand. "Come, then, Rin. I am getting bored with the same songs. Play the flute for me."

B-bump. B-bump. B-bump. B-bump. B-bump. B-bump. "H-hai. Sesshomaru-sama."

Sesshomaru led Rin toward the gardens and showed her to a cushioned seat. Rin sat down slowly, her heart still pounding crazily within her chest. She saw Sesshomaru-sama call a servant for a flute and before she had time to compose herself, the flute was in her hands. She looked up to see Sesshomaru-sama sitting across from her, waiting patiently, his eyes gazing at her.

Rin gulped again and then took a deep breath. Calm down, Rin. Calm down. She wrote this song for the man before her. She knew this song so well she could play in her sleep. Calm down and play.

Sesshomaru watched Rin take a deep breath and raise the flute to her lips. The song that came out of the instrument filled the garden-and filled him-with peace. Sesshomaru closed his eyes and lost himself in the song that spoke to his soul. This music, this song…it seemed…specially composed for him, for his soul. When he opened his eyes and gazed at the girl before him his heart clenched. The expression on her face…this song was ecstasy to her. She was playing her soul before him, playing her essence into the sweet tones of the flute. He could vaguely sense every person in his palace stop…just to listen to the sweet song and lose themselves into it.

Everything around him grew clearer and…infinitely more beautiful. Sesshomaru had always surrounded himself with beauty-and now everything he had that was beautiful seemed even more so, yet it all dimmed next to the glowing woman before him. He felt his power run heavily through his body…and he felt it grow. Tenseiga, at his hip, pulsed with energy, reacting to the music Rin was playing.

What kind of spell was the girl weaving?

When Rin's song ended, the entire palace grew still for a moment as she lowered the flute back onto her lap. She slowly opened her eyes, meeting his, and gave Sesshomaru a light gentle smile, glowing with…

Shock registered as he recognized the emotion he saw in her eyes.

Love.

"You stupid youkai girl!"

The spell was instantly broken and the link of realization was lost. Rin turned to Jaken to was coming at her with a staff. He whacked her with it across her face. "I told you to sweep every room in the palace! Not to dawdle here playing the flute! You are not one of Sesshomaru-sama's geishas! You are not allowed to entertain him in such a fashion! Know your place!"

"Jaken?"

Jaken turned to Sesshomaru, who was standing before him. "Hai, Sesshomaru-sama?"

Sesshomaru blasted the little shit clear across the garden sending him crashing through the walls of the palace [sorry, had to do it! ^_^]. Rin gasped, but Sesshomaru made no reaction. He turned to a servant that had appeared at his side and said, "When Jaken awakens tell him he must fix walls of my palace he just finished destroying. Give him no aid."

"Hai, Sesshomaru-sama." And the servant vanished into the shadows.

Sesshomaru turned to Rin and saw the forming bruise and the cut on her lip. His eyes narrowed dangerously. How dare Jaken? How dare he even think of striking her? Sesshomaru bent down to her and wiped the blood off her lips with his fingers. Rin's breath caught.

"Does it pain you, Rin?"

Rin turned to Sesshomaru-sama, her eyes wide and her heart pounding. She hadn't expected the smack from Jaken-sama's staff, but… She really hadn't expected Sesshomaru-sama's reaction. He blasted Jaken-sama clear across the palace. And now he was asking her if she was all right…and… touching her lips. She could barely speak, her breath was coming too rapidly and her heart was beating madly within her chest. Heat pooled within her.

"Iie, Sesshomaru-sama. I was only surprised," she murmured breathlessly.

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed slightly and he helped her up. He gazed into her trembling eyes and his body hardened. Rin… He could smell her desire. When he had touched her and it had taken her so long to answer, her scent had grown intense and heavy. The sign of desire. Rin…desired him?

"Sesshomaru-sama?"

Sesshomaru turned, hiding his irritation, and gazed at his shadow servant. "Nan da?"

The servant bowed low. "There is a dark Miko at the Gate, Sesshomaru-sama. She claims she has come to live here." Rin gasped from behind Sesshomaru. He didn't react.

"I will be there shortly."

The servant bowed again and disappeared.

Sesshomaru turned around to Rin again, only to see her retreating back. She was headed for the Gate. He lifted an eyebrow as he watched her disappear into the palace. She had said a dark Miko had been the one to help transform her into a youkai. What was this dark Miko doing here?

Sesshomaru followed after Rin.

"Tsubaki-san!"

Tsubaki looked up and saw Rin coming towards her. She gave a light evil smile until she saw the bruise and cut. Her eyes narrowed and she stepped forward to meet the girl.

"What the devil happened to you, child?"

Rin blinked and placed a hand to her face. She smiled and shrugged. "It's nothing, Tsubaki-san. I wasn't doing what Jaken-sama told me to do so he punished me for it. That's all."

Tsubaki lifted an eyebrow. Jaken-sama? Who was this? Tsubaki shook her head and then saw the man behind Rin. Ah… So this was the man the girl loved. The Great Demon Lord of the Western Lands. Sesshomaru.

Tsubaki bowed, making Rin turn around to notice Sesshomaru. Rin swallowed and bowed at Sesshomaru-sama as well. He only lifted an eyebrow at Rin. When she straightened she took a deep breath and spoke.

"Gomen, Sesshomaru-sama. I didn't tell you about the deal I made with Tsubaki-san in order to become a youkai." Rin's fingers twisted nervously. "In payment, when I came here if you accepted me, she was to come live with us. But if you had turned me away I was to become her servant. Because you accepted me, here she is. I'm sorry for not telling you." Rin bowed again. "If you feel as if you can't allow me to live here anymore because of this, then I fully understand and will leave." She couldn't bear to look up. "Gomen nasai, Sesshomaru-sama."

Sesshomaru looked from the bowing Rin to the smirking dark Miko. He was silent for a long moment, before finally speaking. "Rin?"

Rin straightened, her heart pounding. "Hai?"

Sesshomaru looked deep into her eyes. "Prepare your room. The dark Miko will be staying there."

Rin blinked. Relief spread through her like water from a broken dam, but she didn't show it. "A… ano… Sesshomaru-sama?"

"Hai?"

Rin gulped. Was she going to be punished for this? "Then where will I sleep?"

Sesshomaru just stared at her. "We will see."

Rin nodded and went back into the palace to move her things out of her room and prepare the room for Tsubaki. The shadow servant followed her taking the dark Miko's things.

Tsubaki then turned to Sesshomaru with a small smile. "Who did that to her face?"

Sesshomaru made no reaction. "A foolish servant of mine who does not know his place."

"I see." Tsubaki's smile broadened. "Surprised, were you, when Rin arrived here?"

Sesshomaru turned to the woman with an eyebrow lifted. This dark Miko had guts. He said nothing.

Tsubaki only gazed at him. "Hmph. I don't understand how that girl could love you. I would say it was your beauty, but she has more depth than that. How do you think her soul was able to consume the soul of youkai instead of the other way around?" Sesshomaru said nothing. Tsubaki shook her head and made her way toward the palace. "Poor girl. Well, at least she has eternity to melt your heart. She will need that much time."

Sesshomaru stared at the dark Miko for a moment and then returned to his gardens.

* * *

Rin gulped as she gazed at Sesshomaru-sama from around the corner. Tsubaki-san had already been settled and Rin still had no idea where she was going to sleep. Jaken-sama had cursed her as she had passed by him earlier. Her heart sank. What was she going to do?

"Rin."

She stiffened and appeared at the door. "Hai, Sesshomaru-sama."

Sesshomaru was sitting on the floor a cup of tea in his hands. He placed the tea down and stood up, facing her. Rin swallowed, her heart pounding madly, heat filling her. Dear spirits, how she loved him. She didn't care where he made her sleep. He hadn't turned her away, that was all that mattered.

"Tonight you will be sleeping…" Sesshomaru watched her sigh lightly. "With me."

Rin looked at him in shock, her jaw slightly open. Her heart was careening madly in her chest and heat spread through her, making her limbs heavy and her breathing ragged. "Na-nani? S-S-Sesshomaru-sama?"

He stepped forward and Rin almost collapsed. His scent was filling her nose, seducing her, the power and aura from him was captivating her. She felt as if he was purposely trying to entice and attract her, pulling her towards him with a magnetic lure that she couldn't fight against. Because she was now youkai, all of her senses were more acute and she could practically feel the movements of his body without him having to touch her.

Sesshomaru saw her eyes become glazed and enflamed and he could smell her heat for him. He gave a slight smile and lifted his hand to her neck. She sucked in her breath as his claw lightly grazed her flesh down to her collarbone. Rin's desire for him still stunned him. He pulled his hand away and took another step toward her, making her breath catch as she locked gazes with him.

"I will expect you in my chambers tonight, Rin."

And with that he turned around and left her alone in the room.

Rin promptly collapsed onto her knees, her eyes wide and her breathing harsh. Tonight? Tonight? In Sesshomaru-sama's bedroom. She looked outdoors. It was already becoming dark! Tonight? Tonight was already here! Why? Why had Sesshomaru-sama told her to sleep with…with… with him? Why? Her heart continued to pound frantically.

Rin spent the next hour and a half composing herself so she could get up and head toward Sesshomaru's bedroom, without having a heart attack on the way.

Sesshomaru walked down the halls of his palace to his quarters. He allowed himself another small smile. Rin. Is that why she left all those years ago? Because of this uncontrollable desire for him? It made sense. If she desired him like this all those years ago, he probably never would have given it another thought. She was just a human and in those days he knew he would have never mated with one no matter how beautiful. Unlike his father and Inu-Yasha.

Hmph. Inu-Yasha. He hadn't thought of his brother in ages. He had vanished from existence. For all Sesshomaru knew, the fool was dead. Good riddance.

He brought back his thoughts to Rin. Now… He had never seen a woman as beautiful as the woman Rin had become, nor any who had desired him so completely with such honesty. And he had never desired a woman the way he now desired her.

Tonight she would become his.

He opened the door to his room and saw Rin standing by the door to the garden. She had her arms wrapped around herself and was gazing out into the moonlit garden. Sesshomaru saw her stiffen when she caught his scent and slowly turn around. He closed the door behind him and walked toward her silently. He could hear the wild beating of her heart.

Sesshomaru stared into her eyes when he reached her and lost himself into their depths. His hands slowly lifted and undid the loose kimono, letting it drop to the floor with only a whisper. He watched her pulse flutter and could smell her desire on her skin like a heavy tantalizing perfume. He then stripped himself, his clothing and armor being dropped to the floor carelessly. He heard her light gasp and felt her eyes on his skin. Sesshomaru gave a light smile and lifted her into his arms, carrying her to his bed. He placed her gently on it, his body moving over her.

"Sesshomaru-sama…?"

Sesshomaru place his lips over hers, breathing in her scent and her gasping breaths as his golden gaze burned into hers, his own desire overwhelming him. "Rin?"

"H-hai?"

"Sesshomaru. Call me Sesshomaru."

He watched her eyes soften and felt her arms wrap around him. Her smile was radiant. "Hai, Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru only gave a low groan and consumed her with his passionate kiss. Was this true bliss?