InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Armor's Purpose ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on February 6, 2012 for drabble #16 Armor. Won 3rd place.

Title: Armor's Purpose
Author: ananova
Word Count: 496
Prompt: Armor
Genre: Hurt/Comfort/Family
Rating: K+
Warnings: None

Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome
Summary: In the aftermath of a battle, Kagome questions Inuyasha's decision to cover her with his haori.

---------------


Kagome carefully checked the bandages wrapped around Inuyasha's chest. Sitting back, her gaze drifted from his covered wound to his face. Bangs hung low, shielding his closed eyes from her sight, his chin resting against his chest as he sat propped against a tree. Still, she knew he was awake.

“Why Inuyasha?” She had to know.

Slowly, his head tilted back and his eyes opened, fixing her with an intense golden stare. “Keh. You know why.”

She shook her head. “I wasn't the one in danger, you were. You needed your haori more than I did, it's your armor.” Her hands clenched where they rested on her legs. “So why did you give it to me?”

A clawed hand reached out and grasped one of her tightly clenched ones. She hesitated a moment, then allowed his fingers to entwine with her own. His other hand reached out, tilting her face back to his. She choked back a sigh when fingers tenderly brushed her cheek as he stared into her eyes.

“Keh, I'm stronger than you, I can take a lot of punishment. But you can't. I needed to know you were safe. I couldn't take a chance that you would be hurt.”

“But your armor is supposed to protect you!”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “The purpose of armor, of my haori, is to protect my life.” She nodded, confused as to where he was going. “And that is what it did today.” He saw her frown, mouth opening to protest, so he continued. “If something had happened to you, where do you think that would have left me?”

Kagome's mouth closed as understanding dawned. “I understand, I do. But you can't be so reckless. As much as you couldn't go on without me, I couldn't survive without you either.”

“Feh, you're strong. Besides, you have to survive.” His hand lifted to rest against her slightly swollen stomach.

She closed her eyes at the reminder, realization dawning on exactly why he had given his own protection to her. “And so do you,” she said as she re-opened her eyes to gaze into his.

He gave her a lop-sided smirk. “Feh, weakling like that's not gonna be the one to take me down.” His expression became serious once more. “Still, if it'll make you feel better I'll talk to Myouga-jiji about  tracking down some fire-rats. 'Bout time you had some armor of your own. And the kid's gonna need clothes too.”

She couldn't help but laugh at that. “Miko clothing made out of youkai fur, who would have thought?” Sobering, she leaned forward and gently kissed her husband. “Thank you.”

He pulled her to his side, his arm wrapping around her so he could hold her, hand resting on her stomach. “It's my job to protect you. Both of you.” They remained that way for the rest of the day.

------------
Author Note: Yes it is supposed to take place after the manga ends. I was trying to be sneaky.