InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ So Crazy in Love ❯ A Painful Request ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Five

A Painful Request

On the way home Rin kept to Kagome. While she didn't ignore Sesshoumaru's presence, she didn't exactly show much of an interest in staying any kind of close distance to him. Sesshoumaru was angered that Naraku had forced him to kill in front of her and caused her to distrust him. He had informed the priestess that they would be taking Rin back to his castle before he took her back to his brother, and she didn't seem to mind.

He watched on as, during one of their short rests, the woman took Rin around and picked flowers with her. Rin looked up at her happily as they gave chase to a butterfly they had disturbed with their antics. He was oddly grateful of the human's presence, as he was sure that this would be a lot harder for Rin had she not been there. He disliked feeling anything but disdain towards this human, and the fact that he did put him in a sour mood. "Rin, its time to go now. Come along."

Rin ran to him and he was surprised to feel her tiny hand slip into his. He looked down and smiled warmly at her. He checked himself quickly and lifted her onto Un. That was the first smile he had dealt without the promise of death behind it since he himself had been a child. He turned to see the priestess looking at him with a strange emotion showing on her face. One that he'd rather not try to comprehend at the moment, and he turned to leave.

Kagome heard Sesshoumaru's demand to leave, and saw Rin run over and take his hand. She feared for the girl at first, and then her breath caught in her throat. Sesshoumaru looked down and smiled at the girl. His smile had a very fatherly touch to it and Kagome couldn't help but think that he looked right like that, though it was surprising. Kagome had a rush of emotion towards him at that moment when she realized that the great lord did indeed have a weakness. It seemed almost ironic that it would be in the form of a small human girl. She saw him look at her and then walk away and decided to follow or she would be lost.

It was nearing nightfall when they reached Sesshoumaru's castle, and Rin had rarely said a word. The demon lord found he did not like this change in his charge, although on many occasions he had wished that her insatiable curiosity had been alleviated. Sesshoumaru felt a tug on his kimono, and stopped to look down at the small hand his kimono was bunched in. He felt oddly relieved that the young human was not harmed, and to know that she seemed not to fear him again. But when he looked at her face, he felt an odd twinge in his chest as he saw the look of fear and confusion on it.

"Lord Sesshoumaru isn't like the demons who took Rin's parents, is he?" His eyes widened and he stared at her for a minute, realizing the connection that Naraku had made in her mind. The connection he had enforced by killing in front of her. He quickly turned away noticing that he could not keep his face emotionless, and not wanting either human to see his weakness. But he was dumbfounded by the fact that he was unable to answer the small child.

Kagome was shocked to see the hurt on his face as Rin asked him the question and saw him quickly turn away. She knew that it was because he, for some reason, truly cared for this girl and this question had hurt him in a way she was sure he didn't understand. She felt another pang of emotions towards the demon, and quickly went to his aid. "Rin, Lord Sesshoumaru is nothing like the demons that hurt your parents. He would never do anything to hurt you, and you should never forget that." Rin turned to her when she was talking and then turned a broad, toothy smile up to Sesshoumaru. However, his attention was on Kagome.

Sesshoumaru's head jerked around at the sound of the young priestess's words. She had sensed his discomfort, and had actually come to his aid. He was very surprised at this though he quickly covered his reaction. He had forced her aid against her will, and yet she seemed to care what this human child thought about him. He realized that she had a very calming effect on Rin, and walked very thoughtfully towards the castle, with Rin now cheerfully walking between them.

Kagome followed the demon and the girl into the castle and waited patiently as Sesshoumaru took Rin to her room, and told her to change and get ready for bed. Rin quickly moved to Kagome and hugged the woman's legs and the priestess knelt to hug her back. "Good night, Rin." Sesshoumaru thought about how the girl had not immediately followed his orders, and frowned slightly. When she then entered her room and shut the door without attaching herself to his legs first, he realized that she was still more wary of him than was usual.

Sesshoumaru began to walk down the hall and stopped in front of another door about five doors down and on the other side of the hall. He turned to her with a bland, and slightly bored look on his face. "It is late, and you are tired, I can smell it on you. You will stay here tonight. Tomorrow I will take you back to InuYasha, if it is your wish. However, it is obvious that Rin is still untrusting of me and that she has grown attached to you. You treat her well, and I've seen you protecting the fox cub that you consort with. If you have any feelings towards the well-being of the girl, you may stay until Rin has calmed. I will expect an answer tomorrow. This is the room you will use tonight." He turned quickly and walked away leaving her to enter the room and get ready for bed.

She opened the door to the room and gasped at the beauty of it. It was done in antique green and gold and had very rich and vibrant textures. The bed and curtains were lavished in the finest silks and satins. The bed posts and window blinds were made from a sturdy bamboo, and the nightstand and wardrobe were of a rich pine wood. The floor appeared to be an oak hard wood, and she found that the natural look of it, without the finishing that would have been used in her time, made it all the more beautiful. She went over and set her bag on the bed and got ready for bed. She fell asleep wondering what she would do come tomorrow.

*****

Kikyo held up her hand as one of her soul-gatherers landed gently on her fingers. She listened to it and found herself pleased at what she heard. `So the young woman is with InuYasha's brother now. I know that he brought her back before, but I believe that that was because of his hatred for InuYasha, and not any particular attachment to the girl.' She decided that she would watch the girl and find the time to strike before going in blindly. She had learned not to do something that rash in her last attempt with Sesshoumaru. This time she would have her own reasons for attacking, and not be there for someone else's sake. She would be much more careful.

*****

Kagome woke the next morning to a tap at her door, and found herself stretching luxuriously in the bed. She may be here against her will at the moment, but she had never slept in such a nice bed before. Her door opened and Rin bounded across the room and onto the bed with Kagome. She was smiling brightly, and although Kagome was surprised at her energy, she found that it was strangely contagious as she smiled widely at the girl and hugged her. "Good morning, Rin! How are you today?"

"Good morning, Rin is good. Can Rin and Kagome play today?" The girl looked so hopeful that Kagome couldn't stand to disappoint her. "Sure we can play today, I just would like to get cleaned up first if that's okay?" She jumped when she heard a dispassionate voice from the doorway.

"I will have Ruriko show you to the springs and bring you a towel and kimono. I'll assume that was your answer." He turned and walked from the door, but she noticed that he was not wearing his usual armor and he was wearing a different kimono than usual. It was a white one with blue as opposed to the accustomed red, and she thought he was much less intimidating in it. She looked back at Rin when she heard her begin to talk.

"Rin did not here an answer. What was Kagome's answer?" She smiled down at the girl and said cheerily, "Well, Rin, I'm going to stay here with you for a while."…apparently. She added in her head as she wondered just what she had gotten herself into.