InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Exchange ❯ Fool Belief ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Well, here's an extra, extra long chapter for all those who complain about the chapters being too short. So expect a few typos (nearly wrote tupos then ¬_¬)

















Soul Exchange

Fool Belief













Urami quickly scaled the palace wall in one fell leap and landed soundlessly on the other side, bracing herself for a moment and keeping still, just to make sure no one had heard or seen her.

Nothing moved and no odd sounds reached her... she was alone. She straightened slowly, still wary of her surroundings and began to pace as she waited.

She was kept waiting at least half an hour before her informant eventually arrived. He was dressed in his servant clothes still, but the paint on his cheeks that usually covered his stripes was a little smeared, revealing a little of the dark bands beneath.

It was the same guy who'd first approached Kagome in the kitchens.

"Took your time." Urami said snippily. "You know I don't like waiting outdoors. The humidity is awful for my hair..."

"Sesshomaru is wondering why you haven't dropped by the Northern palace to report." He stated bluntly as he arrived.

Urami rolled her eyes. "The Queen's been keeping me under her thumb, making me work like a dog looking after the Prince. He was really beat up after that battle you know?"

"I know." He smirked nastily.

Urami didn't smile back. "So what does Lord Sesshomaru want me to do now."

"The human bitch, Kagome, she's been feeding us a pack of lies about Lord Inuyasha." The spy looked angry. "She told me that his time of month was the full moon... when in actual fact it was the new moon..."

"Maybe she got confused. Happens to me all the time."

The spy clenched his fists. "If his lordship had attacked on the full moon then Inuyasha's cycle would have been at it's strongest - I hear rumours that at the strongest time of the month he turns into some kind of... deranged animal. Lord Sesshomaru wouldn't like to fight Inuyasha with those kind of odds."

"Why, because he'd lose to Inuyasha?" Urami blinked at him.

"No! He'd never lose!" the spy snapped indignantly. "He just dislikes tasteless battles."

"So anyway, what do you want me to do with Kagome?" Urami came back to the main subject. "Kill her? Poison her again? Push her into the lakes and blame it on Sango?"

"No... leave her for now... Sesshomaru's poison will be her punishment for her failure. She'll die anyway." The spy lifted his chin. "But you have new orders now. Lord Sesshomaru wants you to gain favour with Inuyasha over Kagome. By any means necessary."

Urami looked worried. "Um... I forgot how you do that again..."

The man rolled his eyes. "Jesus fucking Christ... don't you remember your training brat? You have to work your way into his heart - but you have to do it the right way - seduction isn't always a guaranteed success. Sometimes it's friendship, sometimes it's food... sometimes it's just general kindness. What do you think touches Inuyasha the most?"

"Kiroi the dog - he's always touching Inuyasha-"

"Not literally!" he barked at her. "I meant his heart! What touches his heart?!"

Urami looked blank before shrugging. "Kagome I guess..."

"Anything else?"

"Flowers... praise... men telling him how beautiful and voluptuous he is..." Urami darted her eyes back to the spy's face. "But maybe those are the things that touches me."

"Oh forget it..." the spy rolled his eyes yet again and folded his arms. "Do whatever you can to work your way ahead of Kagome. Break them up - befriend him - make him enjoy your company more than he enjoys hers."

Urami brightened as she caught on. "Got it."

"Finally..." the spy turned and started back towards the gates. "I'll be in the kitchens if you need me."





^_^





"Bye Sango - see you at supper!" Miroku waved cheerfully to the girl as they parted ways, heading back to their own separate rooms. He would have happily stayed in hers... but Sango wasn't completely comfortable being around him just yet. He just needed to give her more time.

Miroku had never felt happier though. He couldn't believe he had a son... and he could already see what a lady-killer the boy would be one day. Of course... there was no way he would beat Miroku's record.

Suddenly a hand shot out of a doorway he was passing and Miroku was jerked by his shirt out of the corridor, to be slammed up against the wall inside one of the rooms. It took him a few winded moments to realise Inuyasha was the one behind it.

"Oh... hi there... Inuyasha..." Miroku wondered what on earth he'd done to piss the guy off.

"You and I need to have a little chat, Miroku." Inuyasha hissed, eyes narrowed and glinting with menace. "About Sango."

Ah... the protective older brother routine. As if Miroku had never seen this before. "I understand your concern for Sango, Inuyasha, but it's quite unnecessary." He attempted to push Inuyasha's hands away.

In response, Inuyasha only tightened his grip and pushed him back harder against the wall. "I swear - if you hurt one hair on her head - or hurt her in ANY other way I'll make it so you can never have children again."

Miroku winced, but carried on coolly, not really intimidated. "I know you would, which is why I'm not going to hurt her."

"Why should I believe you?!" Inuyasha was fighting the urge to punch him for the past pain he'd caused Sango. "You left her before - you'll do it again!"

"No I won't - I swear!" Miroku smiled at him. "The only reason I didn't return was because I didn't know how to get across the water - if I ever leave again I know for certain how to get back."

Inuyasha glared at him, having no other warnings or threats to make. "Scum bag... I'll never forget what you did..." he stepped back and started to leave before turning back as he reached the door. "Oh - by the way - have you seen Kagome anywhere?"

Such a sudden change in tone of voice threw Miroku for a loop there... but he quickly recovered. "No... why?"

"Just wondered." Inuyasha shrugged and walked out. Miroku toddled after him.

"You know... Kagome said something very interesting to me when I first met her and were trading life stories." Miroku walked with his hands clasped behind his back and a faint smile on his lips. "She said - and I quote - 'So... you break the hearts of people you love too?' in referral to you of course. Hm... I wonder what that could mean."

Inuyasha's fists clenched unseen by his sides. He didn't like how Miroku knew about Kagome's feeling before Inuyasha. "Shut up monkey boy."

"I wonder... you seem to be pretty close to Kagome and seeing as she's in love with you..." Miroku chose to ignore Inuyasha's growl. "Do the feelings happen to be reciprocated?"

"Shut your face right now!" Inuyasha whirled and jabbed a finger in his face. "This is none of your business!"

That had answered his question well enough. Miroku smiled placidly as Inuyasha glared at him... he knew Inuyasha well from past relations with the Hanyou... and while they'd never gotten to be amazingly close, Miroku still probably knew Inuyasha better than he knew himself. Aversion of answering a question meant he was embarrassed about giving any answer at all...

Inuyasha balled his fists again and turned to stomp away.

"Must be - Puppy lo~ve!" Miroku Sango after him, just loud enough for Inuyasha to catch.

The Hanyou just ignored him and carried on with his search to find Kagome.





^_^





"Oh look..." Kagome cried out in an alarmed way as she neared the tree. Inuyasha skewed a glance across the grass at her, wondering what on earth the matter was now.

"What?" he asked sharply as she ran towards the bank a short distance away from where he stood with his arms folded.

"It's a dead fish..." Kagome's voice was full of empathy... Inuyasha was amazed at her ability to care so much for such an insignificant little fish.

"Fish die, Kagome... it happens." He answered shortly.

Kagome ignored his terse behaviour and bent down to look at it more closely. "It's red... is it supposed to be red?"

Inuyasha came over and took a look. "Yes." Actually, it could have been blue and he wouldn't have known if that was normal or not.

"How do you suppose it died?" Kagome asked quietly.

Inuyasha tentatively gave it a little nudge with his foot, resulting in water flooding out of the fishes mouth. "Maybe it drowned?"

"Would you be serious?!" She nudged him in the side, making him stumbled slightly.

"Hey - I am being serious!" he protested and pointed over the lake. "Look - loads more fish are dead as well."

Kagome frowned as she glanced up. "I wonder... maybe they're dead because of something someone put in the water." She looked pointedly at Inuyasha at this point.

"Hey, all I know is that this means we're having fish tonight for supper." He shrugged. "And don't beat yourself up - at least YOU didn't kill the food this time."

Kagome was about to say something to that when she spotted Urami heading their way. She mentally groaned, and saw Inuyasha sigh deeply. Even though he was facing away from Urami, he seemed to know what was coming.

"Hello Lord Inuyasha, Lady Kagome." Urami called cheerfully in greeting. Kagome forced herself to smile back, even though it was a strain. "I'm sorry Lady Kagome, but I'll need to borrow his majesty for a while. His shoulder needs treating again."

Inuyasha and Kagome exchanged slightly dismayed glances at having to be split up again, before Inuyasha shrugged. "Ok, see ya at supper Kagome."

"Bye..." Kagome watched him walk off with Urami before slumping down against the tree.

It seemed Urami's timing was getting better and better...





^_^





Kag ome watched Miroku and Sango opposite across the table from her with mild amusement. They'd been sat next to each other as usual and were getting along with some mild bickering. During which every now and then Miroku would reach out and put his hand on Sango's knee or thigh - which would always be swotted away. But Kagome was sure that Sango wasn't pushing him away angrily - just in a 'not now I'm busy' kind of way.

At least they were talking.

Lady Inu sighed and rested her chin in the palm of her hand in her seat next to Kagome. "Where's Inuyasha? We can't eat until he arrives... I wonder what could be taking him so long...?"

"Urami..." Kagome hazarded a guess, in an even tone of voice. Lady Inu caught the hint of annoyance Kagome must have been feeling and smiled secretly to herself. Yes... grandchildren in no time...

At last Inuyasha entered and everyone rose to their feet in respectful greeting. Urami trailed in meekly after him and began helping the other maids and servants to serve up the food and drink.

"Took your time." Kagome commented quietly as he took his seat next to her on the bench and they all sat down.

Inuyasha gave her an odd look. "What bug crawled up your a-"

"Inuyasha!" his mother hissed at once across Kagome.

"-arm!" Inuyasha finished indignantly. "Thank you very much."

They all lapsed into quiet as the food was served before them. Eventually Kagome turned to Inuyasha as he began to eat. "So how's the shoulder?"

"Better." He shrugged. "Urami does a good job."

Kagome made a small strangled noise in her throat. It wasn't enough that he spent most of his time with Urami, but he also brought her up in conversation too. Maybe she was grasping at straws there... but Urami was seriously beginning to bug her.

Kagome quickly stuffed food into her mouth before she let her irritation take over her. Sango rolled her eyes at her... Kagome was so obvious... and so inelegant with that éclair.

"Uh... Kagome... you have some cream on your cheek." Inuyasha glanced at her.

"Oh?" she swiped at her cheek. "Gone?"

"No." he pointed to her other cheek.

She swiped again. "Gone now?"

He sighed as she'd missed again. "No - here." He reached over and gently brushed the cream from her cheek onto his finger. Then quite casually licked it off his finger and carried on eating. Kagome was beginning to blush again and ducked her head to eat whilst hiding her red face.

Miroku and Sango were all but trembling as they tried to suppress their giggles, and kept nudging each other discreetly so Inuyasha and Kagome wouldn't notice their antics. Lady Inu on the other hand managed to keep a calm little smile. But in her head she was already making plans for any of Kagome's future daughters to marry Fushi.

"Just wait for them to start feeding each other." Miroku whispered to Sango who grinned back.

"Pass the mushrooms, Kagome." Inuyasha held his hand out to receive them.

"What's the magic word?" she challenged, grabbing the plate but not passing it over.

"Now?" He guessed.

Kagome rolled her eyes and passed them to him anyway. They both smiled when their hands nonchalantly brushed against each others fingers. Sango and Miroku went into a flurry of nudging.

Just then Lady Inu noticed Urami was leaving. "Oh Urami - please stay and have some supper! You've been working so hard lately with your chores and Inuyasha's health - please - take a seat."

"Don't mind if I do!" Urami smiled happily and sandwiched herself between Kagome and Inuyasha, forcing them both to squeeze up against the next person along. Lady Inu faltered slightly as Kagome was pushed into her.

"... but not that seat..." Lady Inu finished to herself.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes and went on with eating. Maybe he'd cut supper short today, he wasn't really very hungry...





^_^





".. .And you remember that trick that I'd been teaching Kiroi?" Inuyasha couldn't help but grin as he relayed the story to Kagome. "The one where I say 'fetch' and he runs off and tries to 'fetch' Kirara?"

"Yeah..." Kagome was smiling as well.

"Well... of course when Miroku went into the baths and I told Kiroi to 'fetch' he went and fetched Miroku's clothes who'd been petting Kirara earlier that day." Inuyasha chuckled at the memory. "Oh it was a laugh to see him walking through the corridors in his birthday suit. Those were the good old days when Sango used to blush when she saw him like that."

Kagome giggled at the image.

"And later he told me that if I were ever to try and pull that trick again... I should warn him so he could go to the gym first." Inuyasha snickered.

Kagome's laughter doubled before she managed to calm herself. "I can't believe him... and I can't believe Sango did THAT to the poor rabbit..."

"Those were the carefree days..." Inuyasha's laughter died down as well. "When dad was still alive and Sesshomaru was took chicken and weak to bother trying to take over..."

"He's still chicken and weak in my book." Kagome offered helpfully, pulling a pillow over from Inuyasha's head board to clutch over her lap.

"Well I don't know about weak... he's certainly chicken legged." Inuyasha smirked.

Kagome laughed at that. "That's what happens when you grow too tall. You get lanky."

It occurred to Kagome that she should probably tell Inuyasha about Sesshomaru and the poison, but once again decided against it. After the heavy blow to his pride and feelings with Naraku... she'd just be adding fuel to the fire to make him mad at her again. She didn't want to spoil the mood anyway.

"Do you think I'm lanky?" Inuyasha asked out of the blue.

"Are you kidding?" she laughed at him. "You're not lanky... you're just... nice and lean."

"But I'm tall."

"But you're not as tall as Sesshomaru."

"I'm not exactly a shrimp either."

"I don't know about that." Kagome closed one eye and leaned back, pretending to measure him up. He grinned and poked her side, making her drop the act and squirm.

Revelation hit him like a ton of bricks. "You're ticklish!"

"I - no!" Kagome was doomed no matter what she'd said. She realised this and tried to make a run for it, but Inuyasha grabbed her wrist and yanked her back to the bed, going for her sides again.

"No!" Kagome burst out into loud laughter as his fingers deftly caught her most sensitive spots. "No - aha - no! Stop! Th-that doesn't tickle at all-" she squirmed as his hands continued to dance up her sides and she was having trouble breathing from laughing so hard.

In retaliation she managed to hook her feet behind his legs and tickled her toes against the backs of his knees. He twisted away with a laugh and carried on tickling her, tossing the pillow aside that blocked his access.

"No - Inuyasha - my stomach hurts!" if she didn't stop laughing she'd do herself a hernia. She reached out again and poked her fingers against his sides. Apparently he was even more sensitive than she was and tried to pull away before she dominated him with the tickles.

And she probably would have won the battle if Urami hadn't burst in with a big smile. "Oh hello you two - I'm sorry Kagome, but Lord Inuyasha needs fresh bandages now. You'll have to excuse us."

The laughter died on their lips and Kagome stood up, massaging her cheeks to try and loosen up the muscles that had been strained from smiling and laughing too hard.

Inuyasha was quickly rearranging his clothing, in a dignified sort of way as though he hadn't been cackling like a lunatic just then.

Urami shut the door as Kagome stepped out and went to fetch the bandages. Kagome stood outside in the corridor and sighed to herself, before shrugging and walking away to go to bed.





^_^





Sango leaned against the counter as she picked at some of the leftovers from supper in the kitchen. A lot of the staff had gone to bed by now, but she was still hungry considering Inuyasha had left the table early, and forced everyone else to skip their meal as well.

She carelessly cut one of the fish in half and began eating as fast as she could before Miroku came looking for her. She glanced behind her to check the door just as her fingers touched something unusually hard. She frowned as she glanced back down at the fish. Probing with her fingers some more she reached inside the fish and pulled out something rather surprising...

A small pink called ball of glass or stone...

"Weird..." She stared at it a moment before moving over to the washing up barrel to clean the bead a little. She held it up after splashing it with water to examine it.

It was a little plain... but it was pretty. She pocketed it anyway





^_^





The next day Inuyasha and Kagome sat under the tree in complete silence. Mostly because they were waiting for Urami to come along and drag Inuyasha off somewhere.

"You seem tense." Kagome said eventually, glancing over at him after a full five minutes had passed without interruption. "Is something wrong?"

Plenty of things were wrong. He was under a lot of pressure from the royal advisers for... special reasons... and he didn't get much time to see Kagome anymore. All because of Urami. "Just people nagging their asses off at me..."

"Nagging about what?" Kagome asked, shuffling closer with genuine interest. "Go on."

Inuyasha was almost too embarrassed to tell her. He rolled his eyes and turned away. "They're nagging me to find a wife. Produce an heir... as is my mother."

Kagome stared at him for a moment before a coy smile graced her lips. "Oh I see... looks like you won't get to be a bachelor all your life like you planned, eh?"

Inuyasha turned a scowl on her. "Actually I already had someone in mind."

Kagome's stomach dropped. Who on earth did he like enough to want to marry. Surely not... Urami... that just made her shudder in disgust. But she didn't know any other young single girls in the palace... or at least girls that Inuyasha had shown any interest in...

Although there was one girl. Kagome's eyes narrowed slightly. "So who's Hitako Kireini?"

Inuyasha jumped visibly, giving him away before he quickly tried to cover. "Who?"

Kagome folded her arms, her face set in a grim line. "You know who I mean. Is she the one you intend to marry?"

Inuyasha stared at her. "What?"

"Don't play dumb." Kagome huffed. "Remember when you told me to stay away from the store rooms on the second floor?"

"Oh... ah..." Inuyasha winced. "You went to the store rooms on the second floor didn't you."

"Well. I was just passing actually." Kagome shrugged, trying to act nonchalant and casual. "Then I had this flash and then I saw you and a skinny maid from the kitchens go into one of the store rooms."

Inuyasha stared at her in horror. "Please tell me you didn't look inside."

"Sorry, couldn't help myself." Kagome looked away, blushing slightly. "Now I wish I hadn't."

"How did you know her name?"

"I can lip read... and her name was on your lips quite frequently." Kagome blushed even deeper. "I don't want to go into where her lips were."

"Bloody hell - how long did you stay and watch?" Inuyasha gave her a weird look. "You voyeur!"

"I didn't stay THAT long!" Kagome protested. "And anyway - what about you - you were like ten years old!"

"Fourteen actually!"

"Boy you were short for a fourteen year old..." Kagome commented.

"I had a growth spurt!" Inuyasha snapped angrily. "Now can we talk about something else?!"

"No - I want to know where this girl is? When do you plan to marry her?" Kagome demanded.

There she went again, jumping to conclusions. Inuyasha smirked and looked away. "She's left the island. She married a human lord who I've never heard of."

"Oh..." Kagome blinked ins surprise. "So I guess you won't be marrying her."

"Never planned on marrying her anyway." Inuyasha said shortly.

Kagome thought about what he'd said for a moment. "Then... who's the girl you had in mind to marry? I don't think I know anyone else."

Inuyasha looked at her. She was incredibly thick after all if she was so blind so as not to realise. If Inuyasha ever had to choose his own bride... he'd choose Kagome without a doubt. Maybe he loved her... maybe he didn't... after all he wasn't completely sure what love would be described as. But spending the rest of his life next to Kagome sounded a whole lot better than spending it with either Urami or Kikyo... or even Hitako.

"Well..." Inuyasha smirked at her. "Not so much of a girl... but I have the type in mind."

"What's your type then?" Kagome cocked her head, half relieved that there was no other girl she didn't know about.

"Tall, leggy, buxom and with flowing white hair and..." he glanced at Kagome, seeing she had blue eyes. "Brown eyes."

Kagome self-consciously folded her arms over her chest. Though from that smirk and subtle little glance he'd given her, she knew he was just winding her up. "Really? I know a girl like that. I'm sure you'll both hit it off." She was just messing with him now. And he knew it.

"Really? What's she like?" Inuyasha turned his full attention on her.

"Well." Kagome shuffled closer to his side as though she was about to spill a secret. "She's all of the things you described before - but not so tall, not so leggy, less buxom and has black hair."

Inuyasha grinned at her. "What colour are her eyes?"

Kagome locked gazes with him a moment. "Blue."

The humour of the conversation left Inuyasha a little. She was describing herself. "What's her personality like?"

Kagome smiled slightly and leaned against his side, resting her chin on his shoulder as she spoke. "She's nice I guess... kind I suppose... and very loyal. She'd never hurt you."

Inuyasha frowned slightly and looked away. Kagome pretended not to notice. "She makes mistakes... she's only human. You can't expect her to walk an unstable path without stumbling at all. She tries her best."

Inuyasha looked back at her, seeing how close her face was to his. "She does doesn't she."

Kagome smiled, realising he knew what she was talking about. "I think her good will makes up for her lack of attractiveness."

"She's not ugly... or plain." Inuyasha jumped in.

Kagome smiled. "How would you know? You've never met her." She said coyly.

"We are talking about Sango right?" Inuyasha asked, joking of course.

"Oh you've ruined it now!" Kagome gasped playfully at him.

"No I haven't." he said simply and leaned down to kiss her on the lips too quickly that she wouldn't be able to pull back.

Just when their lips were scant millimetres apart, Urami's voice called out. "Lord Inuyasha! Lady Kagome!"

Kagome slipped sideways with a start and landed half sprawled on the ground. Inuyasha jerked back and thumped the ground angrily, trying to control his violent urges and the light blush that rose in his cheeks. He'd been so close...

"Lady Kagome - Sango needs you in the palace. Fushi won't stop crying." Urami said as she arrived.

"Oh..." Kagome cleared her throat and pressed her hands against her cheeks in an effort to cool them down. She didn't even bother arguing, too flushed and embarrassed to feel angry at the girl for the interruption. "See you later Inuyasha..."

He was so mad he couldn't form any sort of reply as Kagome padded back towards the palace. Urami didn't waste much time to plonk herself down beside the King. "Hi, Lord Inuyasha."

"Beat it Urami."

"But I need to tend your wounds-"

"No you don't!" he snapped. "Just get lost."

Urami gave him a cool look. It was beyond her how any man could refuse her companionship. She knew men who would kill to get a chance with her... how could this one boy simply ignore her beauty like this. He must have been gay...

Or just in love with someone else. Urami didn't get up and leave. Instead she reached into her kimono and pulled out a small vial of what appeared to be... nothing. Just air.

Inuyasha wasn't looking at her since he was busily glaring at the lake away from her. Urami quickly pulled he lid off the vial and took a tentative sniff... yes, it was still working. It had taken her quite a while to obtain Kagome's individual scent. It had involved Urami sneaking into her room and changing the sheets on Kagome's bed one afternoon and using the used sheets to draw the scent out... a scent similar to Lavender.

Of course Lavender wasn't going to cut it alone. She'd had to go to the spy down in the kitchens to get a few extra ingredients... including a few hallucinogenic drugs... similar to opium in a way.

She placed the open vial discreetly between them and waited for the effects to reach Inuyasha... it was already beginning to effect Urami... but not in the same way it would effect Inuyasha.

Inuyasha closed his eyes and shook his head slightly to clear the slightly dizzy feeling that washed over him. He could still smell Kagome lingering nearby and he wondered if Urami was still hanging around. He turned back to the other girl and frowned when he clearly saw Urami was still sitting there.

"Didn't I tell you to beat it?" he griped.

Urami darted a look at the vial on the ground. Wasn't it effecting him yet? "Your highness, please let me tend your wounds?"

It was strange... her voice wasn't grating on his nerves anymore. If anything it sounded slightly more melodious than normal... slightly like Kagome's. He shook his head. "Just go away Urami, I want to be left alone in peace. I have to think."

"About what, Inuyasha?" Urami smiled slightly, seeing that perhaps the drugs were taking effect on him after all, if that slight sway was anything to go by.

"Brides." Inuyasha pulled a face. "Gotta choose a fucking bride..."

"To produce an heir?" Urami asked.

"No, to produce an heir - not air..."

Urami smiled widely and drew closer to need his good shoulder with a strong hand. "What would you like in your bride, Inuyasha?"

A strange feeling of déjà vu passed over him. "Pretty... not too good looking or she'll attract too many other people... kind... thoughtful... loyal... with black hair."

He picked the things he wanted to see in his bride... and all he saw was Kagome. He looked back at Urami, his mind starting to fog over. Kagome's image began to blur over Urami's, until all he saw was Kagome's eyes, Kagome's hair, Kagome's fair skin and full lips...

"Would you marry someone like me?" Urami asked, stroking a hand down the side of his face and along his neck. All Inuyasha heard was Kagome's voice. In his mind, he thought he was talking to Kagome.

"Yeah..." he said slowly, eyes falling half closed as he watched Urami's lips move to form works.

"Would you marry me, Inuyasha?"

"Yeah..."

Urami smiled smugly, a smile that appeared to Inuyasha as a smile of happiness. "Very well..." she leaned forward and pressed her lips firmly against his.

For a moment Inuyasha remained unresponsive until he began to kiss her back, moving his hand to tangle in her hair and pull her forward. Urami, pleased with his reaction, granted his tongue entrance in return.

He shifted to move against her more fully, and knocked over the vial with his knee. Urami was distracted as it smashed on a stone and turned her head away from the kiss, even though Inuyasha continued to kiss along her jaw and neck.

"Kagome..." he breathed.

Urami decided it didn't matter as she turned her head to claim his lips again. The effects would wear off in a minute and he'd open his eyes to realise who he'd been kissing... what would happen after that would depend on Inuyasha. He would either reject her or claim her. Either way, his relationship with Kagome would be broken when Urami told her what was just transpiring.





^_^





Kagome slowed as she reached the palace gates and looked around. Something didn't feel quite right... and an eerie sense of foreboding caught her up.

The next moment a blinding flash lit the area and she raised her arms automatically to protect her eyes... before realising the flash was IN her eyes...

It died slowly and when Kagome looked up she saw everything was dark, like it was night... even though it had been morning just a few seconds ago. It was another vision... but what was she supposed to see in this one? She didn't see anyone around...

Actually... Kagome took that thought back as she saw movement by the wall off to her left. A flash of white hair caught in the soft glow of torch light by the gates. It was Urami... what was she doing hanging around at night.

Though she wasn't exactly alone. Kagome thought for a moment that Urami might have been having midnight rendezvous with secret lovers... but actually... they were just talking, if not snapping at each other.

Kagome cautiously made her way towards the pair, even though she knew they couldn't see her, she still felt that her presence would alert them. She walked right up to them and looked from Urami to the second guy... and froze.

He was the man who'd approached her... Sesshomaru's spy... the one she'd told Inuyasha's 'secret' to. Then did this mean...? She glanced between them, trying to catch what they were saying simply by their lip movement. The man talked too fast and even Kagome wasn't good enough to catch what he said. But Urami on the other hand talked slower...

After only a few seconds Kagome knew for sure... Urami was a spy... and she was planning to... touch Kiroi? No... that wasn't it... touch Inuyasha?!

Kagome was overjoyed. Not because Inuyasha was in danger - but because now she knew the truth - Urami was a spy! Now she could reasonably found her dislike of the girl with a valid excuse.

"Yes! I've got you now you cow!" Kagome burst out and turned around looking this way and that. How did she get out of these visions again.

The guards at the palace gate looked on with mild worry as Kagome punched the air and cheered, before turning this way and that, running around like a headless chicken. One guard looked to the other and made a twirly gesture beside his ear and nodding in Kagome's direction. The other guard nodded and pretended he didn't see.

Another flash lit Kagome's vision and the world lit with light and colour again. Kagome grinned and started at once running back towards the tree where Inuyasha would be. She had to tell him the wonderful news!

But as she neared the tree... she saw everything was horribly wrong. Inuyasha wasn't supposed to be on top of Urami and kissing her that way - she was a spy - he wasn't allowed to do that. Kagome drew to a halt, looking on in complete, mortified shock at what he was doing.

"Inuyasha...?" she called softly.

It took him a moment to react before he pulled back and looked down at Urami. "What?"

Urami blinked rapidly, trying to sort her senses out before glancing to the side to look at Kagome. She smiled to herself. This was even better than what she'd hoped. Inuyasha followed her gaze and saw the blurred figure of Kagome standing a few metres away.

Hang on...

He looked back down and saw he was holding Urami... the wrong girl. He looked back up at Kagome and frowned. "Kagome?"

"What... what are you doing?" she asked quietly, even though she saw it she couldn't quite believe it.

"What does it look like we're doing?" Urami smiled politely at Kagome, like the events unfolding was good news.

"Why...?" Was all Kagome could ask Inuyasha, choosing to ignore Urami's disturbing words.

Inuyasha glanced around, trying to get his bearings straight before sitting up. He looked from Kagome to Urami and then back again, the drugs still making his reactions slow and... well... not quite clever. "Huh...?"

Kagome had had it. Her entire body was trembling with anger... with hurt... embarrassment that she'd thought that she was the one he wanted. She snapped.

Her reaction wasn't quite what Inuyasha would have expected...













AN: Well, there you go, extra long chapter - nearly twice as long as usual. Next Chapter - 'Transferred Love'