InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Exchange ❯ Sudden Abdication ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Sorry about the wait - I've been totally laid down by work right now. Revising, homework, and demanding nuns looking after old people are in a daily routine these days... ^_^;; God my life's weird...

Anyway, this is the second to last chapter, depending on how I want to end the story (no I'm not debating on whether it'll be sad or happy, I already have my idea set on that debate) But it's safe to presume that the story only has one more chapter to go after this. ^_^!!!! Eek!













S oul Exchange

Sudden Abdication

















"No..." Kagome shook her head as she stared at a smug looking Sesshomaru. "You're lying... Inuyasha - he's lying! I swear it!"

She glanced quickly back at Inuyasha, but his expression was so closed that she couldn't quite tell what he was feeling. He wasn't looking at her, but was instead looking across the room to where Sango stood close to Miroku with Fushi. Kagome had no idea what was running through his head... he didn't even appear to care.

"Do get your priorities settled Kagome..." Sesshomaru interrupted the stretched out silence after a moment. "Take your cure and get out."

She looked down at the clay and cloth flask she held in her hands, as if only just realising what she had. The cure... she'd be free of Sesshomaru's poison once and for all...

But...

Glancing back up at Inuyasha she realised drinking it would probably be another major blow to his pride. She couldn't do that... she couldn't even leave and save it for later. There was no way she was going to hurt Inuyasha any more than she had now.

So she dropped the flask.

A dull crack sounded as it split on the tiled floor, spilling the liquid inside all over the floor at her feet. Kagome didn't bother looking, she just glared contemptuously at Sesshomaru... as if daring him to make a big deal out of it.

"Foolish girl..." Sesshomaru smirked lightly. "Or maybe not so foolish after all. That was just plain water."

That had stung... Kagome swayed slightly as though she'd been slapped. She'd made a life breaking decision to smash that flask... and it hadn't even been worth it.

"What... the hell... is going on here?" Kouga suddenly broke into the conversation. He looked intently at Kagome. "How come you know this bastard?"

Kagome didn't even get the chance to open her mouth to explain when Sesshomaru spoke for her. "I wouldn't expect she would have told you all what happened, the whole thing with treachery rewarded with death thing probably isn't to her test."

Kagome's eyes widened with outrage at the plain lie he spun before her. "Wait a-"

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at her. "Shut it."

The simple command he issued had her mouth falling close almost at it's own accord. She glanced back to him but he looked back at Sesshomaru too quickly for her to catch his gaze...

It hurt even more... that he was willing to listen to Sesshomaru rather than her.

"Peasant girls. They know no bounds of mannerisms." Sesshomaru shook his head. Every one of Kagome's friends suddenly turned a shocked stare on her... obviously... they hadn't been aware that she wasn't a princess like she'd led them to believe.

It was the rubber band theory again. Inuyasha had proposed to her... she'd gotten the Shikon no Tama... and now Sesshomaru was lining them all up and knocking them down.

"She didn't tell you Inuyasha... that when she arrived on the island she first came to me?" Sesshomaru watched his brother's face calmly. "She wanted to be released. She wanted to see you so that she could betray you to Naraku."

Kagome flinched slightly at the accusation. It wasn't true... none of it was true...

"I poisoned her for my own purposes of course." The older brother continued as if they were talking about the weather. "In order to get the cure she would continue to this palace and claim the knowledge of when your human night cycle comes."

Kagome tried to protest her innocence again. "It isn't-"

"Kagome..." Sango interrupted her protest at once... she was looking at the younger girl with complete bemusement. Kagome felt her heart wrench... she didn't think that even Sango would find it in her heart to forgive her for this.

"And then she told my spy... the new moon." Sesshomaru said evenly. "So I then attacked on the new moon... your human night... the rest is history."

A rather tense silence passed around the room. Kagome was boiling between complete shock, anger and fear.

"The cure..."

They all looked to Miroku who had spoken. He wore a slightly apathetic look on his face. "Where is the cure for Kagome? She did her part... just let her go free now..."

"There is no cure." Sesshomaru smirked lightly. "There never was one. She was doomed the moment my sentries caught her."

One thought only reeled through her head at that point... she was going to die... there was nothing t0 prevent it now. Her vision started to become glazed as the tears crept up on her without warning. She hastily blinked them away, making them spill down her cheeks whilst not caring who saw, as she snapped a heated glare on Sesshomaru.

"You're nothing but a filthy liar! None of what you said is true!" she yelled at him.

Sango and Lady Inu looked hopeful for a moment.

"Oh so I didn't poison you then? You didn't agree to find out Inuyasha's weakness for me?"

"I..." she couldn't deny that part. "That isn't the point - you're lying about me telling you-"

"Who's the liar here, wench?" Sesshomaru snapped coolly. "Who just betrayed all the people who trust her?"

"Stop it!" Kagome cried. "You're twisting everything I said and did!"

"I need not twist anything. Why should I lie when the truth is oh so much more painful?" Sesshomaru smiled patronisingly at her before turning to Inuyasha. "Anyway, enough of the trivial matters. I came here to kill you and take my rightful throne, didn't I?"

"You... you're just as bad as Naraku..." Inuyasha hissed at him. "Manipulating people's lives. Poisoning helpless girls...!"

Kagome looked at him in surprise. Did this mean he still believed in her?

She didn't get much of a chance to wonder on that belief when a new presence arrived in the room. There was no flash of light, no crack of thunder to accompany his arrival. He just materialised out of thin air and a whoosh of that white fur cloak under he stood hunched right in the centre of everything of what was happening.

Kagome couldn't help the anguished cry that escaped her. "No!"

"Baby, why didn't you tell me you were having such trouble?" Naraku turned to her slightly, oblivious to the fact dozens of spears and swords were now pointed his way.

"Naraku!" Inuyasha tore Tessaiga from it's scabbard at once and held it ready. "Where the fuck did you drop from?!"

Naraku ignored him and continued to lazily sweep a hand around him. The guards and soldiers that had surrounded him now were thrown against the walls and knocked unconscious... The others in the room breathed a sigh of relief... well... all save Sesshomaru who now looked a little tense, and of course Inuyasha who probably could have looked a little more relaxed right then.

"Baby... why didn't you tell me about the poison?" Naraku advanced towards her while she stepped back nervously.

"No... go away... I have the Shikon... you can't find me... you can't own me..." Kagome muttered, almost inaudibly.

"You should have more brains than that, Kagome." Naraku smirked at her. "Maybe I can't sniff you out anymore but I still know where to find you. You haven't changed your location since last time I checked. You really are quite dim aren't you?"

"Go away!" Kagome swiped a wild fist at him, but of course, it just passed straight through him.

"You need a cure, yes?" Naraku raised his chin slightly as if looking down at her. "Just ask and you shall receive."

"What?" Kagome whispered, staring at him in shock.

Behind them, everyone else exchanged uncertain glances. Sango looked ready to murder wither Sesshomaru or Naraku, she didn't care which. Inuyasha looked just about the same.

"Here's my new deal." Naraku put forward. "I shall give you a cure to that pesky little amateurs poison. And in exchange... you give me the Shikon no Tama."

"Kagome - no!" Inuyasha broke in angrily. "Don't you dare make any more deals!"

"Do not even think about it bitch." Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes angrily at her. But in actual fact, Sesshomaru was the less intimidating figure in the room right then. Naraku dominated over them all.

"I..." Kagome looked around desperately, trying to see an alternative way out. But there was none... she was going to die... and everyone was going to hate her as she went. She didn't want this... this wasn't how she'd planned her death.

Her perfect death had been a noble one where she saved a drowning orphan or a litter of kittens from getting run over... give her life for a noble cause. Not like this... not buried under lies and treachery. She couldn't die hated...

She didn't want that.

"I... I don't want to die..." Kagome whispered, more to herself than Naraku. "I'm only fifteen... I... please... help me..."

Naraku didn't waste a precious moment. He straightened almost gleefully. "Done. You're cured."

Just like that? Kagome blinked back the tears that were spilling down her cheeks.

"Now... give me the Shikon no Tama..." Naraku said slowly and commandingly. "Or else you know the consequences to your soul."

"Leave her alone you big brute!" Sango yelled, running forward to pull Kagome away from Naraku. "Stop treating her like a rag doll you can just toss around!"

Sango's defence brought a gush of relief in Kagome and she couldn't hold back the sob that rose in her throat. At least she still had Sango...

"Girl, this is none of your business." Naraku told her dryly.

"Yeah, but still!" Sango argued hotly. "You have no right!"

"I have every right! She is my property to do as I will! It is her own fault she sold her soul for the likes of that wolf there." Naraku jerked his chin towards Kouga who looked dumb-founded.

"What?" Kouga gaped at Kagome.

"I'm sorry! I did it to save your life!" Kagome cried. "I didn't know what I was letting myself in for!"

"Obviously!" Sango nodded fervently. "It's not a legal deal if she doesn't know the full details!"

"I told her every detail!" Naraku stormed towards the two girls. "She chose to hear them her own way! Now get out of the way." His hand connected with Sango's cheek, slapping her out of the way and moving on to grab Kagome by the neck and lift her into the air. "Now give me the Shikon!"

"Let... me go!" Kagome gasped as his grip tightened.

"Don't you dare touch Sango, you asshole!" Miroku lurched forward and swung a fist against Naraku's side. Surprisingly it made the spirit stagger slightly but he quickly recovered. Miroku didn't give up. He grabbed a small table and threw it against Naraku's back. "Let her go NOW!"

"Be quiet!" Naraku roared, throwing Miroku across the room.

Spots began to dance before Kagome's eyes. If she didn't give him the Shikon then she would die... then her soul would belong to Naraku for ever, into the afterlife and into hell with him. But then again... if she gave him the Shikon then her soul would still be his property until Inuyasha died.

Inuyasha... was he just going to stand by and do nothing? She couldn't see him... but she had a horrible feeling he was just standing back and watching her be strangled by Naraku.

"You're mine, Baby... you'll always be mine..." Naraku told her softly as Kagome began to feel numb.

But then the pressure went away and she felt herself falling. All she saw was a flashing arc of light and then everything momentarily went dark for a few seconds. When her sight began to return... all she saw left of Naraku was his shredded Baboon pelt floating to the floor on top of a pile of ashes.

She massaged her throat as she recovered, before searching for who had saved her.

Inuyasha stood a short distance away, having just made the swing with Tessaiga. He didn't look happy, or relieved, or even that angry.

Kagome looked at the pile of ashes and then back at Inuyasha. "What did you do...?"

"You can't owe dead people anything." He said simply before turning away and forgetting her. "You came to claim my throne, Sesshomaru - you'll have to fight father's sword for it!"

"And I thought you were going to make this a challenge." Sesshomaru drew his own sword.

Kagome meanwhile was hesitantly touching Naraku's remains. Was it true? Was he really dead...? Was she free? Was she cured? Could she lived her own life again?

By all accounts... yes.

So why didn't she feel so happy?

"Kagome...!" Sango reached her side and crouched down. Kagome saw the horrible bruise on her cheek and felt a strong pang of guilt.

"Oh Sango - I'm so sorry - I'm really sorry." She hugged the older girl without warning. "Please... don't hate me... I didn't want any of this to happen - I never betrayed anyone - I fed Sesshomaru the wrong information - he's lying."

"In understand..."

"How could you forgive me... after all I've done to you all?" Kagome cried softly into her shoulder.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Kagome." Miroku crouched beside her, ignoring the pre-battle jibes that Inuyasha and Sesshomaru were exchanging behind them. "I can see that... life has just been dealing you hard hands recently, I'm amazed you've managed to get this far without anyone's death on your hands."

"Oh thanks..." it wasn't a greatly comforting condolence, but it helped a little. At least Miroku didn't hate her either.

"Is she alright?" Lady Inu hurried to their side, holding Fushi in her arms. "Is that monster gone yet? Inuyasha killed him, didn't he?"

"He's gone..." Sango nodded, still holding Kagome tightly. "It'll be ok Kagome... it's over... you're free..."

"Unless there's more deals you haven't told us about yet?" Miroku hazarded a guess.

"No - I swear! I'm not hiding anything else!" Kagome sat up quickly, hoping he would see her honesty and the truth.

Lady Inu shook her head... she'd lost the plot some time ago. "I can't follow this at all... no one tells me anything these days! Sango - did you know Kagome was a peasant?"

"I had a vague idea..." Sango said sheepishly. "Sorry, Kagome, but your manners aren't quite lady-like."

"Oh I knew!" Miroku said quickly, pleased to be ahead of the crowd on this one. "The minute she walked into that bar I knew she was just a farmer's daughter."

Across the room, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru were still sizing each other up, the older brother more confidently perhaps. "So, Inuyasha... tell me what it's like to be betrayed by the woman you love again...?"

"Shut up!" Inuyasha barked at him.

"Is it just me, or does every woman you meet seem to leave you in some form or other. Or at least betray you." Sesshomaru smirked.

That barb stung. Mostly because Inuyasha felt it was undoubtedly true...

"You'll pay for-"

Before Inuyasha could complete his sentence the doors burst open and more soldiers arrived... even more than before. And they all belonged to Sesshomaru.

"Shit..." Miroku muttered as he saw the cavalry enter.

Things weren't looking good at all.

Kouga clenched his fists and beckoned his men forward. "They won't hurt Kagome!" he started towards the newly arrived men, even though he and his companions were sorely out-numbered.

"Kouga, you fucking keep out of this!" Inuyasha bit out angrily.

"This isn't just about you - Kagome is in this matter too!" Kouga snapped back.

"Kagome doesn't account for anything!" Inuyasha snapped back harshly, his anger elating to new levels. "Kagome doesn't mean a fucking thing - nothing matters!"

Without warning Inuyasha swung the sword with a cry of effort, slashing it towards Sesshomaru who stood close to the throne. Just like what had happened at the battle, several bright arcs lit in Tessaiga's path before bursting into a razor edged wind a fraction of a second later. Sesshomaru was smart and quick enough to move out of the way... however the throne and the bay windows weren't so lucky.

Everyone watched in complete shock as the winds created by the blade tore the throne apart and shattered the glass of the bay windows... also taking half that side of the room with it all.

Dust and wooden timber clattered down from the roof, causing Kouga and his men to dodge out of the way. The outside wall crumbled and fell outwards and out of sight into dawning early rays of morning.

Sesshomaru was, for once, lost of words. As was every one else pretty much. Kagome couldn't swallow past the lump in her throat. She was less concerned over what she'd just seen... but more over what she'd just heard. She didn't matter to him? Is that what he thought now? He hated her...

Inuyasha ignored the mass amounts of dust and plaster that had coated his hair and shoulders and swung to blade to point at Sesshomaru's men behind him. "Leave now or I'll kill them all, I swear I will!"

Sesshomaru didn't doubt it for one moment. But he was still reluctant to pull out now... not when he stood this close to his born title of King.

"Or..." Inuyasha swung the blade to aim at Sesshomaru. "Do you want to take their place?"

"Right, we're going." Sesshomaru said flippantly. There was no reason in staying. Not now that Inuyasha had mastered such a powerful weapon. Not even a whole army would stand up to Inuyasha now...

He'd just have to make do with the Northern territory for now... and maybe plot ways to steal Tessaiga...?

Inuyasha waited until Sesshomaru and his men had filed out of the throne room in an orderly fashion before moving to sheath Tessaiga again. There was barely a moments breathing space before Kouga turned on him.

"You got a lot of nerve dog-turd!" He berated the young King. "How dare you call Kagome 'nothing'?!"

"Inuyasha!" His mother shrieked. "Look what you've done to the place! Do you know how much this will take to repair?! We're not made of money or time you know?!"

"Inuyasha." Miroku moved over to him. "I know, now may not seem like the appropriate time but could you please help me and Sango out on this little problem we have-"

"Hey - butt out!" Kouga confronted Miroku. "I was talking to him!"

"Inuyasha - you better have a damned good explanation for this mess!" Lady Inu ranted. "I can't believe you... destroy the throne and half the room just to prove a point! That throne was your fathers! It's irreplaceable."

The noise volume was growing as people began to talk away, mostly at Inuyasha or bickering with each other.

There was only one more thing that would make the situation perfect... Ah... there it was! Fushi began to cry - no - BAWL at the top of his lungs, raising the volume to ear-splitting levels.

"Oh - now look - you've made Fushi cry!" Sango growled angrily.

"Irreplaceable!" His mother continued to rant.

All the while Inuyasha calmly turned his attention to the cuff braces on his wrists and started to unhook them and untie the leather straps. He undid one and let it clap to the cluttered, dusty floor. Silence rang out in its wake as everyone stared at his actions. He ignored them and continued to undo the second brace.

That fell shortly to the floor after the second. Only then did he look up and shrug. "Fine, whatever. If you have a problem to have the king deal with then tell the next bozo who picks up the cuffs. I'm outta here."

"What - where are you going?!" Lady Inu spluttered, quickly handing a whimpering baby back to his mother.

"Away."

"Where?!" she demanded again.

He didn't answer as he stormed out the doors, but the implication was pretty obvious. Inuyasha was leaving... leaving the island and leaving the throne. He was abdicating.

"Inuyasha..." Sango whispered, not quite believing the way he was acting.

They all stood in silence, wondering what could possibly have been the last straw on the camels back in this case, when Kagome suddenly pushed herself to her feet and took off unsteadily after Inuyasha.

"Good luck." Miroku commented. Though he doubted Kagome, of all the people in the world, would help matters right then...











AN: Next Chapter - 'The Getaway'. Probably the last chapter ~_~