InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Exchange ❯ Jealousy Bites ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Since someone asked - I DO read every single one of my reviews that I get (usually two or three times because they make me feel so happy ^_^) So whatever you write in those little review boxes does actually reach me so feel free to say whatever you want. I do get one or two bad reviews... but general everyone is really nice and encouraging (Thank you!!! ^_^) I've never gotten a flame (but watch them all flood in now to make up for that)

Anyway, my head's just blown so big I'm nearly falling off my chair - better get on with the fic ^_^;;;

Happy New Year to everyone - I'll just post this and RUN to my party now before I miss the fireworks (or miss the party for that matter) It's nine o'clock over here... 3 hours to go!











Soul Exchange

Jealousy Bites



















What was so special about it anyway? It looked like any ordinary katana... except that it had chips in the blade, rust along the side and the handle was slightly loose. If had been any other sword it would have been melted down as scrap metal... other than swing about, there wasn't much more he could do with Tessaiga. The magical blade that could cut through any substance on earth.

Bull.

Those were in the old days. Now the sword could just about cut through water... and that was only on a good day. It seemed the only thing it was good for was to strap to his side and use as a seal for his blood... other than that... a cattle prod maybe?

With a sigh, Inuyasha slid it back into it's black scabbard on his right hip, before unsheathing his own personal sword that rested on the left. It may not have been a legendary sword but at least it was capable of cutting butter at least. And when it broke, like all katanas did eventually, he could replace it with an even better shinier sword. He was going to keep practising with the shiny sword...

After all... he sort of felt like he was using something that didn't belong to him. It was his father's sword... his father was still alive... it was like stealing a siblings belongings while they were away from home. (Something Inuyasha had done a number of times after Sesshomaru left the South for the North and had left his room unguarded).

The door to the practise hall was suddenly opened and several soldiers appeared in the doorway. "Your Highness, we need you."

"I'm busy." Inuyasha said shortly.

"The wolf Youkai are approaching the southern cliffs in barges - they'll be here in minutes to invade."

Inuyasha stopped his practising at once and shoved past them on his way out. "Where are the men?"

"Gathered on the south side of the palace." The captain told him, quickly following him with the other soldiers.

"Where's my mother?"

"Safe in the throne room."

"And Lady Kagome?"

"Uh..." the captain looked at the other men who simply shrugged. "She's not in the palace."

"Shit..." Inuyasha rounded on two random soldiers behind him. "You two are to find Kagome, bring her back to the palace and guard her."

The two Inu Youkai nodded and hurried off.

Inuyasha started off again, heading through the palace to the back exit.

"You'll lead the fight, my lord?" The captain asked.

"No... I was figuring I'd just yell charge and then hide behind a tree." He snapped sarcastically. "Of course I'll lead the fight."

They looked relieved... but tensed up at the same time.

The three hundred strong army was waiting at the edge of the cliffs when Inuyasha arrived. A great deal of the strongest men gathered from the villages in the South... but compared to the North they were no match. But whether or not they could match up to the wolves was a different matter. They'd never fought the wolves before.

By then, the barges carrying the wolf Youkai warriors had already moored on the beaches below and the wolves were now rapidly climbing the cliffs to meet the dogs.

"Do we have a plan of attack?" the captain asked Inuyasha.

"Any coconut bombs?"

"No..."

"No tigers in pits cover with straw? Falling logs?" Inuyasha watched the man shake his head. "Then we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and get stuck in."

He walked forward towards the cliff, just as one of the first wolf men reached the top. Without much effort, he kicked the man's face, sending him falling. "And that always works too."





^_^





Sango entered the throne room to attend Lady Inu... only to find her pacing back and forth dramatically.

"What will we do if we lose?" The older woman fretted as she saw Sango enter. "What will we do if we win? We'll be weakened... Sesshomaru would choose to attack straight away!"

"He may not learn of the wolf invasion." Sango tried to soothe her.

"No - he has spies all over this palace - he would know the minute Inuyasha sneezed." She sighed. "He probably already knows about Kagome being here... by the way... where is Kagome?"

"I... I thought she was in Inuyasha's room." Sango bit her lip.

"I was just down there - she isn't in there." Lady Inu suddenly looked alarmed. "What if she's out of the palace?! What if she gets caught up in the crossfire?!"

"I'm sure she has enough sense to keep out of trouble." Strangely enough that had sounded more convincing in Sango's head. "Anyway... of all the places in the Island, I doubt she's anywhere near the South beach cliffs."

Lady Inu resumed her pacing. "I hope you're right..."





^_^





Eve ntually the wolf Youkai had managed to climb the cliffs and immediately engaged in battle with the Inu Youkai with little pretence. Both forces were fairly evenly matched... except maybe the wolf Youkai had more experience.

And worse of all, Inuyasha was being targeted for both being the only hanyou, and being the leader. He was doing fairly well beating off the attacks... but eventually at least one hit had to meet it's target.

Inuyasha reeled back slightly as one of the wolf man's fists connected with his jaw. For a moment he saw stars until he regained his bearings and clenched his sword harder. "Bastard!" he lunged forward and kicked the man so hard he went flying straight off the cliff again. Another man chose that moment to attack from behind, but soon found himself flipped over Inuyasha's back and sailing through the air to meet the sands (and rocks) below.

A sword slashed through the air at amazing speed, and Inuyasha barely had the time to get his neck out of the way of the blade. He spun around to see the wielder of the weapon and readied his own in defence.

A young Wolf man stood there, having just completed his swing with a cocky smirk on his face. He was dressed in slightly lighter colours than the rest of his pack and a slightly different power seemed to emanate from him.

"The only hanyou here..." The wolf man spun his blade and slipped it back in its scabbard at his side. "You wreak of human weakness... I'm guessing that would make you the boss, huh?"

"Kouga, I presume." Inuyasha's lip curled in a snarl.

"My reputation proceeds me." Kouga smirked even wider. "Doesn't look like I'll need the sword to finish you off."

The battles waged on around them, as Kouga waited for Inuyasha to make the first move. Inuyasha simply threw his sword down to the ground and waited for Kouga to make the first move. He wasn't going to fight against an unarmed idiot with a sword, at least this way if he lost he'd lose on equal grounds.

Kouga suddenly kicked off and disappeared in a flurry of motion. Inuyasha blinked at the spot he'd been until he was kicked hard in the gut as Kouga reappeared beside him. Inuyasha immediately thrust his claws out despite being bent double, but missed and received a heavy blow to the back of the head by Kouga's elbow.

Already he was losing... at least no one was looking their way just yet. He still had time to retaliate.

But all those hopes were cut short when he felt Kouga lift him by the front of his haori clean into the air to dangle. Kouga smirked and was about to say something nasty... when he caught a rather strong scent emanating from Inuyasha's clothes. He dropped him at once... "Kagome..."

"Nope... still Inuyasha..." Inuyasha sprang to his feet and at once tackled Kouga to pin him to the ground, claws pressed against his throat. "What is she to you?!"

"Fucking dog-turd!" Kouga tried to throw him off but only succeeded in getting his throat nicked by the hanyou's claws. "It's me who should be asking the questions! How come you wreak of he scent?!"

"Take a wild guess, genius!" Inuyasha sneered and punched Kouga in the stomach before standing up and continuing to pin him with his foot. The battle continued on around them, and it was luck so far that they hadn't been jostled. "How come you know her anyway?!" Inuyasha demanded. So far he was only sure that Kouga and Kagome had been involved... but he'd not yet learned the details.

"Asshole... she's my mate!"

Shock roiled through Inuyasha, and his pressure on Kouga's chest loosened slightly. He hadn't known that MINOR detail about Kagome... she was already someone else's mate? But most of all... he was surprised that he felt so disappointed and angry.

"Stop!"

The two leaders looked up through the surrounding battle to see Kagome haplessly rushing towards the scene of the battle. Both immediately panicked and Inuyasha released Kouga instantly. "Stop fighting!" he ordered his own men quickly.

"Stop this instant - let Kagome pass!" Kouga waved his arms to get the wolf men's attention.

It worked, and the fighting gradually ground to a halt just in time for Kagome to dodge her way through the stationary soldiers to plant herself between the two leaders. She was obviously out of breath. "Inuyasha... you have to stop fighting... I know these guys..."

"You know him too?" Inuyasha said expressionlessly.

Kagome turned with a frown to see who he meant... and visibly stiffened when she saw him. "Kouga...?"

He stared at her in shock for a moment, not quite believing his eyes, before he suddenly pulled her close into a tight embrace. "Oh god... I missed you so much..."

Kagome remained in a state of shock, unable to really reciprocate the embrace. Maybe before if he'd greeted her the same way she would have melted into his arms with nothing but happy feelings of love. But now...all she could think about was the fact that Inuyasha was watching.

Eventually, she returned the embrace, but somewhat jerkily. Strangely enough, she felt very self-conscious and aware of everyone's gazes resting on them. Then suddenly, without warning, Kouga pulled out of the embrace and pressed his lips against hers.

It was such a familiar feeling, that she felt a stronger wave of nostalgia pass through her, rather than a wave of love. What was wrong with her? Why couldn't she return his feelings the same way she used to. He'd been gone... what? A month? Had her heart grown harder towards him.

It could have been the fact that she'd chanted to herself everyday so far that she hated and despised his guts. But even now she was finding it hard to hate him when he so obviously had missed her. But then again... she was still finding it hard to accept that he was here with her.

"For crying our loud, get a room you two." Inuyasha's harsh voice cut through the moment and Kagome quickly pulled back, feeling a little embarrassed. Something she didn't often feel.

Before Kagome could do much else though, she felt gentle hands clap her on the shoulders and arms. "Welcome back Nee-san." She recognised Ginta.

"It hasn't been the same without you." Hakkaku grinned at her.

"Thanks..." Kagome muttered sheepishly as Kouga continued to hold her by his side with an arm around her shoulders.

"This is interesting, dog-turd." Kouga glanced sharply at Inuyasha. "Turns out you have two things I want now. Your Kingdom... and Kagome."

Inuyasha darted a shrewd glare between the pair. Kagome was blushing heavily... "So it seems."

"I'm not a greedy guy," Kouga continued, oblivious to Kagome's squirming to get away from him. "If you give me back my Kagome, I'll end the attack on your Kingdom. Maybe I'll even ally my forces to yours to help you defeat the North."

Everyone stared at him. It was Ginta who spoke first. "You'll give up the attack-?"

"I'd give up my life for Kagome." Kouga turned back to her. "When I was gone for barely a week I thought that I was going crazy without you. I went back only to find your family had disowned you and you'd left. I wanted to follow you... but I had obligations here... but now that I've found you again, I'll happily give them up for you."

"Kouga..." Kagome was flattered big time.

Inuyasha made gagging motions behind her back.

"And like I said I'll even help you attack the North." Kouga continued, looking back at Inuyasha who was suddenly moving from gagging to rubbing his throat innocently. "But after you defeat them... I won't hold any promises about going against you again. What do you say?"

Inuyasha glanced at Kagome to see her watching him intensely. He couldn't quite read her expression but she looked like she was imploring him to say yes. She loved Kouga... why wouldn't she? He quickly went over his other options in this choice. If he said no, then he would end up having Kagome hate him and remain with two strong enemies to fight. If he said yes, Kagome would be happy, and he'd have stronger forces to fight just the one enemy in the north. It would improve his chances. There wasn't really much of a choice...

But he was reluctant to let Kagome go.

Kagome watched Inuyasha carefully as Kouga squeezed her shoulder gently. She waited for his answer with baited breath, just like everyone else on the cliffs. She half wanted him to say no. She didn't want to leave this place to be with Kouga... but then again she realised he should say yes for the good of his kingdom.

Too many conflicting emotions welled inside her. She didn't understand her feelings towards Kouga anymore... and even more importantly... she felt she was only just beginning to understand her feelings towards Inuyasha. What was he going to say?

Inuyasha sighed as he gave in. "Fine. Take her."

Kagome's heart sank.

Kouga grinned. "Not as thick as you look after all, eh?"

Inuyasha growled again.

"Great." Kouga made a gesture to his men. "We make camp in the forest near the middle border of the kingdoms. Just call on us when you need us. Come on Kagome."

Kagome spluttered slightly as he grabbed her wrist and began dragging her off. "I have to sleep in the woods too?"

"You mean you want to stay in the palace, with him?" Kouga frowned at her.

Kouga or the palace... well... Kagome was more of the material girl nowadays. "But it gets so cold out here at night..."

"But it's a tropical climate." Kouga watched her face carefully, trying to read her feelings.

"But... I'll get dirty..." Kagome fiddled with her skirts. "Can't I stay in the palace... you can come visit whenever you like."

"But what about at night... I'll miss you..." he rubbed her upper arms affectionately. Behind them Inuyasha rolled his eyes and gave quiet orders for the Inu Youkai soldiers to turn and head back home. "I only just found you... I don't want to give you up again so soon..."

"You won't give me up..." Kagome looked down at her feet.

"But what if he takes advantage of you." Kouga jerked his chin towards Inuyasha who was standing stiffly a short distance away, arms folded and expression thunderous.

"He's not like that..." Kagome said gently.

"Any man who captures you and makes you a concubine is like that." Kouga said shortly.

"C-Concubine?" Kagome snapped her eyes back up to his. "I'm not his concubine."

There was a loud sigh from Inuyasha's direction. "At least... not any more..."

Kagome was about to turn and throw something at him for that comment but Kouga's grip was firm. He spoke so quietly Inuyasha couldn't hear him. "Fine... you can stay at the palace... but when this is all over we'll take over the South as well as the North and then you can be my Queen. You can stay in the palace with me every night."

Kagome didn't say anything. Suddenly she didn't like the idea of conquest.

"Bye Kouga..." she quickly pulled herself away and trotted past Inuyasha who glared at Kouga a little longer before following after her slowly.

"So you're finally back together, huh?" Inuyasha remarked evenly.

Kagome nodded jerkily with a forced smile. "I guess..." she glanced at him, trying to gauge his reaction.

She was surprised to see him turn a fairly pleasant smile on her. "Good. I'm happy for you. It's nice to see you've finally got your mate back."

"My what?" Kagome stopped dead.

"Kagome!" She turned to look back at Kouga who was walking after his men, backwards so he could see her. "I'll be thinking of you every minute I'm gone. I love you!"

Kagome couldn't bring herself to say the same words. "You too!"

There was a loud crunch sound behind her and she jumped around in time to see a very large old red wood tree swing over to slam against the ground, a messy fist hole in the trunk at shoulder height. She flinched when it impacted with a crash and glanced after Inuyasha who walked casually past it, still with that unnervingly pleasant look on his face and a slight whistle on his lips.

She had to talk to him about a vision she'd had while out walking... but now didn't seem quite the right time. She just followed after him meekly, keeping her head down while mulling over her thoughts of Kouga...

By the time she reached the palace she just knew in her heart...

She didn't love him.





^_^





"I see... So she is already mated to the Wolf pack leader." Lady Inu sat before her mirror whilst combing her hair delicately. She glanced up at Sango through the mirror, who was bouncing Fushi on her knee on her bed. "Why didn't she tell us?"

"She told me before." Sango wrinkled her nose. "Apparently he jilted her in a way for his love of war... she said she hated his guts and hoped he got neutered by someone's sword."

"How is Inuyasha taking it?" His mother asked quietly.

"Um..." Sango thought over how Inuyasha had been acting since the confrontation with the wolves that morning. "He's taking it well... eerily well... if I didn't know any better... I'd say he was a little perturbed."

"Dear me..." Lady Inu sighed. "If he was jealous he would let us know through violence. Any smashed windows...? Doors? Anything broken at all?"

"If he's angry he's holding it well." Sango snuggled her son close to her chest. "And you know what he's like... he just isn't physically capable of holding in anger. I don't think we were successful... I don't think he likes Kagome that way..."

"Well damn... there went my grandchildren out the window." Lady Inu tapped her knee with her comb. "I guess I'll just have to go hunting around for a new bride."

Sango sighed and didn't say anything. She was disappointed... the one girl Inuyasha finally hit it off with... the only girl who seemed to hold any moral decency... was already taken by the enemy. "I guess I should go and prepare the guest room for Kagome to sleep in..."





^_^





She finally had it. She information she could use to buy her freedom. All she had to do was find Inuyasha and tell him what he needed to know and then she would be one step closer to having the Shikon no Tama in her possession.

But first - lunch. Her stomach was going to take priority over her soul... so she headed down to the kitchens to get a snack before she went to bed.

Downstairs the kitchens were empty as everyone was already getting ready for bed. The only people that were awake during the night were a few of the servants and all of the guards and sentries. Everyone else slept snug as a bug in their beds.

Kagome set about searching for the ingredients for her favourite snack... it would only take a few minutes to make... but finding the stuff she needed could take well over an hour considering the size of that kitchen. She started opening cupboard doors at random, while wincing at the loud groaning her stomach made in protest for food.

"Wait a minute..." she rubbed her stomach and tried to follow her nose. It would help a lot more if she had a nose like Inuyasha's...

"Looking for something?"

Kagome jumped at the sound of someone's voice behind her. She spun around to see one of the servants was standing just behind her... she hadn't even heard him enter. Now that was unnerving. "Uh... I can manage." She smiled whilst tucking her hair behind her ear.

He grunted before leaning back against the counter behind him. "Do you have it?"

Kagome stared at him, blinking. "Have what?"

"Sesshomaru's information." He said shortly.

"Uh..." Kagome struggled to get her brain into gear as her heart beat sped up a little. Were they on to her? Did they know she was doing dodgy things for Inuyasha's older brother? "I don't know what you're talking about..." she said jerkily, and lamely.

"Oh for fuck's sake..." he grumbled and shifted against the counter as his hand came up to rub his cheek. Kagome watched with wide eyes as he rubbed away some facial paint or make-up... to reveal two dark stripes on his cheek beneath. "I work for his lordship. He sent me to retrieve the information he wanted from you."

"Oh..." Was all Kagome could say. She wasn't ready for this yet. She hadn't decided how she was going to deal with this problem yet. No way was she telling Sesshomaru about the new moon... not after she had made that hand shake promise with Inuyasha to keep it a secret. She would guard it with her life...

"Well?" the man snapped his fingers before her face to get her attention. "Which night is the brat's human night?"

"The full moon." Kagome said without thinking. "Tell Sesshomaru that if he wants to attack Inuyasha... make it the full moon." He wouldn't stand a chance against that out of control version of Inuyasha... perhaps...

The spy glared at her hard for a moment before grunting and turning to leave.

"Wait - where's my cure?!" Kagome took a few steps after him.

"Sesshomaru has it."

"But I need it! He said he would give it to me when I give him the information!" Kagome cried angrily. "It was our deal!"

"Relax! Sesshomaru said he would deliver the cure to you when he invades."

"But I need that cure now or else I'll die!" Kagome growled.

The spy just smirked at her. "Sesshomaru will invade before your time is up... don't worry about that." he turned and walked out the kitchen, just like that.

Kagome stared after him a moment before slumping against the cupboard behind her. Her stomach had stomped making growling sounds... and strangely enough she didn't feel so hungry anymore... and she certainly felt a little queasy.

What had she done? Had she made the right choice? Would Sesshomaru know she'd lied? What would happen when he invaded? Would Inuyasha be ok? Would she get her cure?

Kagome shook her head with a grimace and a gasp. She couldn't think about this right now. Too many problems and questions were pressing on her skull... and she could only deal with one at a time. First problem - she was tired. She needed sleep. Hence she would go to bed to solve that first problem.

Tomorrow she could tell Inuyasha about his father...

She slipped back off through the palace, heading towards the royal suits, fatigue and exhaustion making her eyelids heavy. She barely made it to the royal bedrooms without keeling over and falling asleep on the bare floor of the corridors. But somehow she made it there... and out of pure habit, she went into Inuyasha's room and slipped into the bed.

She didn't notice that somebody else also inhabited the same bed.











AN: Three guesses who? I dare you.