InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Exchange ❯ The Truth ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Ok, this chapter is much longer than the last (to make up for short chapter fifteen) Sorry about the cliff-hanger and all! ^_^;;

Anyway, just watched the Shining for the first time and now I'm scared to go to bed in fear of my Dad hacking me to pieces in the night... Now there's a way to put me in the mood for writing at late hours again.











Soul Exchange

The Truth













"I don't believe it..." Sango whispered to herself, staring dully at the ground before looking up again at where Inuyasha sat on the bed holding Fushi in his lap. "Are you sure?"

Inuyasha just gave her a flat look that told her she'd asked a stupid question. Sango bit her lip and closed her eyes. "I can't believe Kagome was capable of such a thing..."

"Well get used to it. She's got the same blood as Kikyo running through her veins - the Higurashi family is all the same. Ulterior motives and weak minds." Inuyasha shrugged. "That's two girls now in that family that have fallen for Naraku's mind games... it seems death by beheading doesn't seem to last as long as it used to."

Sango glanced across at him. He spoke so calmly without a hint of venom or anger. "How do you feel about this...?"

"What do you mean?" he glanced back at her as well.

Sango sighed. Of course he knew what she meant, he was just stalling. "I mean - why aren't you mad at her? This girl is the second girl to come along and try and kill you. If I were you I'd start getting paranoid about my choice of women."

Inuyasha shrugged again, passing Fushi gently back to his mother as Kiroi the big black dog entered, followed by a much small Kirara. "Kagome was never 'my choice of woman'." He told her simply. "I'm not mad."

Sango seemed wary. Inuyasha didn't take betrayal well. When Kikyo had betrayed him... he'd obviously been upset... if something minor like a horse betrayed him, he'd get mad anyway. Sango would have thought... if Kagome had betrayed him, Inuyasha would have done something along the lines of tear down half the palace in a blind rage.

Maybe she'd been wrong thinking he did care for Kagome after all...

"Where's Kagome now?" Sango asked dully.

"She's out of the palace right now. But when she comes back I'll get the guards to apprehend her." He bent down momentarily to scratch Kiroi behind the ears. He cocked his head thoughtfully. "To keep things on schedule... we should probably execute her tonight - so that it doesn't interfere with dad's funeral. Yeah, that should work out nicely. That way Ma will be too stricken with grief to notice."

Sango jumped to her feet angrily, glaring down at him. "How can you be so cold about this?!" she demanded. "Doesn't death mean anything to you?"

Inuyasha shrugged, standing up as well so she couldn't tower down on him anymore.

"Your father just died and all you care about is keeping things in order!" Sango hissed. "Now you plan to execute Kagome when she gets back from her walk with Kouga - aren't you upset?! Why aren't you hurting? Your father just died and Kagome just betrayed you - she's been betraying you all the time apparently!"

No anger or misery showed in his expression and he sighed with a light smile. "I don't feel anything Sango... and I can't break down and cry like I know you want me to because I just don't feel the need to waste my energy like that. I have to take care of the throne now."

"What...?"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "I've got my proof that there is no King now... that means I will have to take the throne or else Sesshomaru will have it." He pulled a face. "Frankly, I don't have time to mess around worrying about funerals and executions."

Sango, on the other hand, had plenty of time to worry and cry. It all became a little to much for her. Kagome turning out to be a traitor... Lord Inu being rescued only to die shortly before she got a chance to see him... Inuyasha finally taking the throne and a war on the brink of converging at last...

She slumped back down to the bed, holding a shaky hand over her eyes as her shoulders began to shake with small quiet sobs. The baby in her arms obvious picked up on his mother's distress and began to cry as well, but much louder than Sango. She quickly tried to soothe him but she was juggling between bouncing her son and wiping away her tears futilely. Inuyasha turned away shortly and left the room, heading for the throne room.





^_^





"What's the matter, Kagome?" Kouga's voice brought her back down to earth.

"Huh?"

"You seem a little distant today." He remarked as he stocked the little campfire.

Kagome cast her eyes around the make-shift shelters amidst the trees and the other wolf-men going about their business. "You're all preparing for battle..." she commented, noticing the weapons they were tending.

"We'll be ready when the time comes." Kouga smirked. "With the South on our side we'll beat the North into the ground. Then me and my men can confront the south and that Inuyasha bastard."

"Inuyasha isn't a bastard." Kagome said quietly.

Kouga didn't care. "Whatever. He fucking dared to touch you - he deserves to die - it's obvious you're my woman, didn't you tell him?"

Kagome was on a short fuse after her conversation with Naraku last night. "No, I didn't tell him Kouga because I am NOT your woman." At the blank look he gave her she panicked. She'd been told not to break up with him until after the war. "I mean... I'm not your mate... yet..."

"Still... my claim is as good as a mating bond." He cracked his knuckles. "When I found him he wreaked of your scent. It was like he'd smothered himself on you."

Kagome sipped her little mug of water and glanced innocently at the fire, deciding to avoid that topic. "Are you sure you'll be able to beat Inuyasha after the North has been defeated... that is... IF the North is defeated."

"Of course we can. His forces will be weakened."

"So will yours." Kagome pointed out.

"Oh yeah..." Kouga scratched his head. "Guess we'll have to wait a while."

And in that time Kagome would dump him and remain at Inuyasha's palace, hopefully.

Suddenly Kouga sighed and pulled her against his side on the log they sat on. Kagome stiffened slightly, before having to force herself to relax. "I'm really sorry Kagome... this is no place for a girl to be at a time like this..."

"What?" Kagome glanced up at him in surprise.

"This is all my fault that you've been dragged into this mess. If I'd never left you, you wouldn't have come across that bastard Inuyasha who dragged you here to be his concubine."

He seemed to have forgotten already that she'd told him she WASN'T anybody's concubine. She sighed and rolled her eyes as he continued. After all... it WAS all his fault that she was in this mess. Because of him she'd been a fool and sold her soul... and now she was having to wade her way through pure hell to get it back. She could also blame it on him that she had poison in her body that would strike her down in two months or so.

"If I could turn back time I would have just brought you with me so that I wouldn't have to make a deal with dog-turd to get you back." Kouga told her.

"Oh... how... thoughtful of you." Kagome said flatly. Right then all she wanted to do was go back to the palace and see if Inuyasha was back yet. He might have the Shikon with him... then she'd be on her way to salvation. All she'd have to worry about then was getting the cure to Sesshomaru's poison.

She sort of had everything planned out. Sesshomaru had said he would bring the cure when he arrived. So she'd get the cure and then hopefully Sesshomaru would be defeated with the combined forces of the South and Kouga's men... and then she could be with Inuyasha...

She sighed happily at the thought of a happy life, but all happy thoughts fled from her mind when Kouga turned his head to her and suddenly captured her lips with his. Kagome pulled back at once, causing him to frown. "What's wrong?"

"Um... it's just... um..." Kagome started to slide away from him down the log, out of his arms. "I just... have to go back to the palace - I think I hear Lady Inu calling me!"

She bolted from the camp, leaving a clueless Kouga behind her. She ran through ankle high grasses of the meadows, heading towards the palace and the two lakes. But just as she was passing the gap between them she stopped... and slowly turned to her left, looking out over the lake to her side.

It was almost like a thrumming vibration filled the air around either her, or the lake, she wasn't sure. She glanced around, particularly at the lake on her right, but didn't get the same feeling. Turning back to the left lake she frowned, wondering what the heck it was... before it disappeared and she felt nothing but the warm humid air and damp grasses that wetted her socks.

Almost with a shrug, she headed on towards the palace and smiled at the guards as she passed. She failed to notice the glances they swapped with each other, or the way they began to close off the gate after she'd entered the palace grounds. She did however notice how quiet everyone seemed to be... she didn't understand that... they all looked unhappy and tired.

Before she went on into the palace she made a point to check the stables... and to her delight she spotted what looked like Inuyasha's personal white stallion. She could barely contain her glee. He was back! She couldn't wait to see him. In her mind they had been too far apart too long, and hopefully he would be happy to see her too.

She scurried off back inside the palace, and headed straight for the throne room, hoping to find either Lady Inu or Inuyasha, maybe even Sango by chance. But when she arrived there, she only noticed the guards stationed around the room as per usual, and a few of the Royal advisors gathered around the little discussion table beside the throne. They looked up when she came in and traded dark looks.

"Excuse me..." she called to them, looking around. "Is Inuyasha back yet?"

There was a long pause before the tallest Inu Youkai advisor drew himself up and turned to her fully. "He is."

"Great!" Kagome smiled cheerfully, briefly glancing at the glass case at the side of the room... before having to do a double take. Tessaiga was gone still... and so were the Royal cuffs that solely belonged to the King alone. She'd heard from Sango that whoever picked up the cuffs after the King set them down... would automatically become the new King. It didn't apply to women, so Lady Inu couldn't be ruler the same way as her husband.

But Kagome sincerely hoped and prayed that it was the King wearing them again. Perhaps Lord Inu was back with his son and that's why his cuffs were gone. Kagome couldn't wait to meet him.

Without much other word to the advisors she turned and ran towards the doors leading into the corridor outside.

"Kagome?"

She looked around suddenly, to see Sango stepped through the back entrance of the throne room, looking unusually pale and weary. But mostly, right then, she looked worried as she gazed at Kagome.

"Sango - what's the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost." Kagome smiled for her friend, walking towards her. Sango didn't warm to her condolence.

"Is it true?" She asked bluntly as Kagome approached, causing Kagome to stop a few metres away.

"What?" she looked like she'd missed something vital here.

Sango stared at her hard, her eyes searching, trying to find the trace of the traitor bitch that Inuyasha had seen. She didn't find anything... all she saw was a warm young, innocent girl. It just wasn't possible... there had to have been some kind of mistake. Even the best spies and traitors always showed some kind of malice... but Kagome showed none.

Suddenly she looked past Kagome as someone new arrived, with a dozen or so guards filing in primly behind him. "Sango, go back to your duties. My mother probably needs you by now."

Sango didn't move, but Kagome suddenly spun around with a smile. "Inuyasha! You're back - you don't know how much I... missed..."

She trailed off as she saw the layout before her. Inuyasha was wearing black, and more black. Normally he wore at least some red to go with it... but now he looked a little strict, and his expression barely held any kind of emotion other than a slightly shrewd frown.

She glanced at the guards behind him. "What's wrong...? Why are you..." she looked at him. "Inuyasha... did you find your father?"

He barely batted an eyelid. "He's dead."

"Oh..." Kagome's breath hitched in her throat. "I'm sorry..."

"It's alright. You didn't kill him." He almost spat the word 'kill'. Kagome flinched slightly. She realised he must have been wearing black in grief... just like the guards and a lot of the workers around the palace were doing. She'd only just realised that now.

"Are you ok...?" Kagome stepped forward timidly, unnerved at the way he seemed so calm and collected. If she'd just found out her father was dead she would have been locked in her room and crying. Actually... she probably would have been cheering and cracking open the sake. But Lord Inu didn't seem like the type of father her own father was.

A small humourless smile graced his lips, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Oh I'm perfectly fine thank you. At least... I am now."

Kagome didn't know what to make of him. He was acting so strange. She guessed people dealt with grief in different ways. She took a closer at him and suddenly realised he was wearing the King's cuffs.

If that meant what she thought it meant... he was the new King of the Southern Kingdom. She smiled suddenly and bobbed towards him. "Inuyasha - you're the King, I'm so proud of you!"

She'd reached out to touch his arm in a friendly manner, but she'd barely gotten within an inch of contact when his other arm lashed out and knocked her hand away painfully. The metal cuffs on his forearms being much harder on her than a normal blow.

That would bruise tomorrow... she hissed in pain and clenched her arm, glaring at him. "What was that for?!"

Inuyasha made a simply forward gesture with his hand to his guards behind him who quickly stepped past him towards Kagome. "Lady Kagome, you'll be escorted to the dungeon for the rest of your life. You'll be executed quickly and painlessly by beheading at midnight, during my father's funeral. Sorry I won't be around to watch."

Kagome stared at him, completely slapped speechless. If he'd punched her in the gut it would have had less of an effect on her heart. In fact... she felt like he's just pushed past the physical boundaries of pain and gone straight for the mental. "What..." the guards grabbed her arms and began pulling her away. "Wait - what are you doing?! Let go of me! Inuyasha - why are you doing this?! I demand an explanation!"

"That's funny, it should be me saying that, not you." He glared at her.

"Wha..." Kagome struggled for reason. "I don't get it... what did I do?"

"What did you do?" Inuyasha's amazing control was beginning to slip... along with his mask. "You want me to tell you what you did? What you were going to do?"

Kagome had never seen Inuyasha this seriously angry at her. It scared her slightly, even more so that the guards had stopped and they were holding her in place so she couldn't run away as Inuyasha advanced on her.

"You know... I thought you and Kikyo were alike at first. Same face and body and all..." he shrugged. "Except maybe she had bigger breasts."

Kagome's jaw had fallen and she stared at him, lips apart.

"But then rather quickly I thought that you were like night and day." He smirked at her. "I thought the one girl on this earth that couldn't possibly be more like Kikyo was her COUSIN!"

Kagome flinched as the volume of his voice rose.

"But now I realise you're just as weak and pathetic as she was!" he spat, giving her a push that set her loose of the guards' hold on her. She staggered back slightly, backing away slowly as Inuyasha stalked her back towards the wall behind her. "Naraku poisoned her mind through bargains too."

Kagome's blood ran cold and the feeling of her stomach contracting in fear and panic jolted her. And imminent sense that she'd just caused too much damage to repair struck her. Her eyes stung and she belatedly tried to blink back the tears.

"Go on... cry all you want. It only proves you're weaker than Kikyo ever was. She just got mad and blew the place up! You'll just cry and go spastic on me with those visions! Don't try too hard to be her Kagome!" he gave her another shove that sent her bumping against the wall at last.

"Please..." Kagome shook her head slowly, finding it hard to see him through the haze of moisture. "... please understand..."

"You're in no position to make requests. Save that for the last request before you're beheaded, Kagome!" He

snapped cruelly, pulling her back up by the front of her kimono when she began to sink down the wall. "You fucking stop snivelling this instant and listen to me!"

Kagome gave a breathless sob. She'd screwed up... she'd totally blown her plans... she deserved to die. "Inuyasha... please... I didn't mean for this to happen..."

"What? For me to find out that you were scheming behind my back with Naraku?" he slammed a hand against the wall, just beside her ear, making her half scream in surprise as the stone cracked behind her head. "That you planned to seduce me and kill me?!"

"No!" Kagome yelled back, between sobs. "My soul-!"

"He has your soul?! I know! I heard it all last night!" he slammed another fist on the other side of her head, causing the stone to break off in chips around her. "You have your reasons - and I have mine! I don't care whether you were doing it for the good of humanity! You fucking lied to me - you conceited, filthy little bitch!"

He drew his fist back, ready to punch a hole right between the last two hits - right through her head. And maybe he would have if Sango hadn't thrown herself at him. "HEY! HEY!!" she grabbed his arm as hard as she could, snapping her other hand around his ear.

She was no way near strong enough to stop him from doing what he wanted to Kagome... but her voice and intervention was enough to snap Inuyasha back to the real world. He pushed Sango off him angrily and pulled back slightly from Kagome who immediately sank to the ground, trembling.

The emotional armour slammed back into place on Inuyasha, snapped up and locked down. He turned away with the same mask as before and gestured to the guards. "Take her down to the dungeons and don't let her out again. Let her be executed in there."

Kagome didn't even have the will to struggle now. She was still reeling from fear and shock that Inuyasha felt so strongly against her. It scared her.

At that moment she was more upset at the fact Inuyasha despised her more than her own imminent death...





^_^





"Wha t's the men's status?" Sesshomaru asked his advisors.

"At their rate we'll be ready to march and converge on the border by tonight at the minimum. Tomorrow at the latest." One advisor told him with a humble bow.

"Good..." Sesshomaru smirked. "And Inuyasha is still in the mainland."

"Urami has not sent any word that he has returned."

"Perfect." He turned and swept towards the doors of the throne room. "Tell the first wave to prepare at the gates, prepare to march on my order when the rest are ready."





^_^





The tears had long dried on her face, and Kagome was having trouble thinking of other things, otherwise the tears would just begin again. Her cheeks were already sore from the wet trails, she didn't need to cry anymore.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and it creaked open heavily, to allow Sango entry. "Kagome..."

"Sango?" Kagome sat up as best she could, a difficult task when her hands were chained up beside her head against the wall. "Sango please - you have to listen to me - I didn't plan on killing anyone - you have to believe me Sango-"

"I know... I... I believe you." She crouched down beside the grubby girl and reached out with a soft silk cloth to dry the tears on her cheeks. "It's ok... don't cry anymore..."

"I can't help it... he hates me..." Kagome began to shake with small sobs. "I don't know what to do... I never intended to kill him..."

"Then why did you come? Why did you say all those things to Naraku's ghost?" Sango drew her hand back slightly.

"They were just words Sango... I hate him as much as you and Inuyasha do... I just said all those things to get him away from me."

"Is it true he has your soul?" Sango whispered.

Kagome shook her head weakly. "He doesn't have it - but he owns it. I need ownership back... he told me to kill Inuyasha in order to get it back..."

Sango stared at her.

"I'm sorry... I've been so selfish, I've done so much harm... I'm really sorry..."

"It's ok." Sango quickly leaned forward and pulled her into a tight embrace. "I know you never meant to hurt anyone... it's not your fault."

"I wanted to Shikon... I could use it to hide from Naraku... Inuyasha's father was supposed to have it... I just need to hold it against my skin and I'll be free from Naraku... and soon he'd be gone... back to the underworld without me." Kagome buried her head in Sango's shoulder. "Inuyasha was never meant to mean anything in this... I never planned on seducing him... I never betrayed him... I wasn't two-faced - I didn't have to be!"

"I know..."

"But he thinks it was all a lie!" Kagome clenched her fists. "And now he's going to have me killed - and he doesn't even have the decency to hang around and watch, that bastard! He could at least spare a minute or two - it only takes a couple of seconds to die, ya know!"

"I know..." Sango stroked her head. "But I swear I'll do what I can to convince Inuyasha to let you go... I'm not sure if he'll forgive you... but he might at least let you go back to the main land in one piece."

"And if he doesn't?"

"Then I'LL set you free without his orders." Sango said fiercely. "I won't let him make a fatal mistake like this without knowing the whole truth... you'll be out of this cell by night fall."

Kagome closed her eyes in despair. She couldn't leave. She still had to find the Shikon, and she still had to find a cure for the poison.

But most of all... she couldn't bear the thought of leaving Inuyasha, no matter how deep his violent urges towards her right then.













(AN: Next Chapter - 'War Breaks' Cheery title, huh?