InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Therapy ❯ Chapter Fourteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Soul Therapy

Author: dol
phingirl0113
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and implied sexual situations)

Chapter: Fourteen

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha opened the door to his house slowly, almost as though he expected something to jump out of the shadows and bite him. But he couldn't help it, ever since the incident in the park four days ago, things had just not been the same.

Kikyou walked around with a melancholy air, and he could practically see the guilt weighing down on her shoulders. Frankly, he was fast growing tired of the silence in the house, and what was more, he realized, he missed Kagome, which made his temper even worse. He hadn't realized until she left how much the woman calmed his nerves.

Hearing the sound of running water, Inuyasha glanced into the kitchen to see his wife doing something rare: cooking. That meant only one thing. She wanted to talk to him about something she considered extremely important and, considering what had been on their minds lately, he had a pretty good idea what it would be about.

“I'm home,” he called, doing his usual hobble/shuffle across the floor into the kitchen, gratefully taking a seat at the wooden table off to one side, surrounded by windows and yellow curtains. They really had domesticated the place, he realized with an inward chuckle.

“How was your day?” Kikyou asked, her voice overly cheerful, unlike the woman Inuyasha was used to as his wife.

“Busy, but then what else would I expect trying to get back into medical school, including an intern rotation.”

“Is it hard for you? I mean, with the crutches?”

“Actually no, not like I thought it would be. I'm pretty much able to get around, and while I tend to move a little slower then everyone else, I get where I need to go and do what needs to be done.” He chuckled. “I'm just grateful I'm not on an e.r. rotation yet, I think I'll have problems there.”

Kikyou nodded and walked over carrying a casserole dish holding what looked like lasagna. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow curiously, but she seemed to be trying her best to ignore him as she went about setting the table, even going so far as to get out napkins.

Man, he thought, this was going to be one heavy conversation, because the last time she broke out the cloth napkins had been when her mother lost her job and needed some money that they didn't have to give in the first place.

Finally she quit moving around the room, removed the apron that had looked out of place anyway over top of her business suit, and took a seat across from him, scooping up a helping of the meal and placing it on her plate. She seemed extremely interested in her food for a long time, and finally Inuyasha couldn't take it anymore.

“Alright Kikyou, what is it?”

“What?” She looked up as though surprised at the question. He looked at her with a stern gaze, like the kind a parent gives a child not telling the truth or evading a question.

“You know what. I know you too well to think that the dinner doesn't mean anything. You have something you want to talk about, and considering the events of the past few days, I am inclined to agree with you.”

She looked away for a moment before taking a deep breath. “Inuyasha, we need to talk about, well, us.”

“Yeah, I think that's a good idea.”

There was a long pause that quickly became uncomfortably stifling, and both took several bites of their food before continuing. After all, it was never bad to have a full stomach when going into such a serious conversation.

Kikyou was finally the one to speak. “Lately, I feel like we're not as close as we used to be.”

“Yeah, I've felt the same way.”

“And, well, you know that guy, Naraku? Well, I've kind of been seeing a lot of him lately.”

“Yeah, I guessed that too.”

“You did?”

Inuyasha chuckled, he couldn't help it. His wife seemed to think he was some kind of gullible idiot.

“Of course I did, I'm not a fool. I saw the way he approached you at the fundraiser, and I know the kind of looks he gives you. I'm not blind, Kikyou.”

She blushed and looked at her plate. “Of course you're not, I guess I just thought you've been so preoccupied with your therapy lately that, well-”

“I didn't notice?” She nodded, and Inuyasha briefly thought of Kagome, of her smiling face and dancing eyes, and of the feel of her lips against his. He had been preoccupied with physical therapy, in a way. “Well I have, although I don't know exactly what's going on. That's what you need to tell me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, what exactly is going on with Naraku? Are you in love with him?”

“No!” She replied quickly, too quickly in his opinion. It was the reaction of someone trying to convince themselves to deny what they were feeling.

“Really?”

“Well, I don't love him like you think I do. I am fond of him as a friend, but,” she swallowed, “I don't really know what I'm feeling, I guess.”

He nodded. At least she was trying to be honest with him. He could imagine how hard this was for her to do, considering how much they had been through together, not including his accident.

“What did Kagome mean when she said there was something going on? Why did she refuse to tell me?”

His wife looked away completely, standing up and taking her plate to the sink. But he wouldn't let her get away that easily. He spoke up in a commanding voice. “Kikyou?”

“Well, you know how she was over that day, and I said I invited her over to talk? We talked about, um, you and I, and how I've been feeling lately.”

“And? How have you been feeling lately?”

“I don't really know, and that's the truth of it, Inuyasha. I feel something for Naraku, but I don't know if that's just a normal affection every married woman develops for other men, or if it's something more. I mean, after your accident, when you were in the hospital for two months,” she trailed off, leaving the comment hanging in the air, but he knew what she meant.

“You were all alone again,” he finished, and she nodded, unable to deny the truth. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, wishing they weren't having these problems.

Why couldn't they just be like every other happily married couple? Why did they have to be turning out like all their friends said they would for marrying so young?

“I'm so sorry, Inuyasha,” Kikyou began, but he put up a hand for silence. She looked away, somewhat hurt, but also sad. Clearly, she was having the same thoughts as him.

“Don't be sorry Kikyou, what's happening is happening,” he stated simply, “And I think we need to take some time and figure things out. So, I think it would be a good idea if I just left for a while and let you truly be alone.”

“Leave? Why? For how long?” She suddenly looked slightly panicked, and Inuyasha felt his temper rise slightly. She certainly was making herself appear two-faced, talking about how she cared for another man while at the same time not wanting him to leave her.

But then, did he really want to leave her either? She had been a part of his life for so long, it was hard imagining her not being around.

“Only for about a week,” he finally replied, trying to sound casual, “And I think it would be a good idea if we didn't talk during that time. We should just take this week and really think about what would be good for us, both as a couple and as individuals.”

He was impressed with himself, the words sounded pretty intelligent from his perspective. Usually, he was the one needing to be fed logic, not the other way around. But for some reason, in this situation he felt extremely calm, almost too calm, like he was detached and in denial. Maybe he was.

“Where would you go?”

“I don't know, I'll think of something.” Again, he sounded too casual for the situation, considering he was proposing leaving his wife for a week. In some cultures, that was enough to be considered officially separated.

But he wasn't leaving for good, just for a while, so that they could figure things out. He truly believed that without each other they would come to their senses and realize that they still loved each other, and that the accident had just driven a wedge between them that needed to be erased.

And yet, when he rose from his chair and went slowly to pack a small bag, he knew where he was going. There was only one place he really wanted to be at that moment, and only one person he wanted to see. In fact, she was the only person he had wanted to see since that day in the park.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      & nbsp; “Really you guys, you didn't have to do this,” Kagome muttered shyly, taking the box of chocolate Sango was holding out to her. But all four of her friends were smiling at her encouragingly, and so she had no choice but to accept the gift.

“What else would we do for a friend who needs a little pick-me-up?” Kouga asked simply, his arm around Ayame.

Miroku nodded and walked forward, giving her a hug, and Kagome smiled as she had to stop his hands from roving too much. At least some things would never change.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.” She stepped back and invited them in to her house, which they accepted, Kouga and Ayame looking around curiously, having never been to the shrine before.

“I have to say Kagome, that costume becomes you,” Miroku commented, and Kagome blushed slightly in spite of herself.

“It's not a costume, Miroku, these are the official robes of a trained priestess, granted after years of training.”

Everyone had a blank look, except for Sango. She had been raised in a family of tradition, much like Kagome, coming from a long line of demon exterminators, and while the profession no longer existed, she had been taught the old ways of combat nonetheless. In fact, before their job had taken over their lives, the two women had gotten together many times and practiced their individual skills.

“So are you still a good shot with a bow and arrows?” Sango asked with a smile. Kagome smiled back.

“I'm not half bad. How about you? Have you dusted off Hirakotsu lately?”

“Maybe.”

The two women continued grinning at each other until Miroku stepped in between them. “Well, I know I just got here, but I'm going to have to leave.”

“Why?” Sango had a suspicious look on her face.

Miroku squirmed slightly. “As much as I would like to make you jealous by saying I have a date Sango, my grandfather is coming to visit.”

Everyone burst out laughing, recalling the way the older version of Miroku had come to Tokyo the first time, hitting on every girl he met and trying to convince the clinic that there was an evil spirit near the door. It was obvious then why Miroku acted the way he did.

“Your grandfather?” Sango was laughing so hard Kagome was sure she would fall over, and poor Miroku was blushing profusely as only Miroku could, still looking cute.

“It's not that funny,” he replied, trying to maintain some semblance of dignity. Sango walked up to him and pinched his cheek.

“I know, and I'm sorry. And the fact that you thought I would be jealous of you going out with your grandfather is cute.”

“I didn't exactly mean my grandfather.” Their eyes met, and Kagome and the other two were left to simply stare at the suddenly romantic moment.

“Oh for heaven's sake,” Kagome finally exclaimed, throwing her arms in the air, “How about you go with him Sango?”

“What?” They both turned at the same moment.

“Yeah, I'm sure Miroku would like some company when he meets his grandfather.”

They looked at each other again, and this time Miroku was smiling while Sango looked suddenly uncomfortable.

“It couldn't be considered a date,” he said, “Because my grandfather would be with us. And I'll even pay for the food.”

Finally she smiled and nodded her head. “Okay, but any groping from either of you and I swear you will regret it for the rest of your life.”

The threat didn't seem to faze him. “Never fear, lady Sango, I will treat you with the utmost respect. I'll pick you up at seven.”

And with that he turned around and started walking down the stairs, slightly tripping as he went and ruining the suave image he had been creating for himself. Sango just giggled.

“I guess we can go too,” Ayame said suddenly, but Kouga lifted his eyes curiously.

“Why?”

“Because I'm sure Kagome would like to speak to her best friend.”

He still looked clueless, but followed Ayame anyway as she mouthed a `bye' at Kagome, who waved in response. All at once, as quickly as they had come, her friends were gone, and she and Sango were alone.

“So,” her friend began, leaving the comment silent.

“So,” Kagome replied, not sure what to say. Finally she shrugged her shoulders and motioned for the door. “Let's take a walk.”

“Just what I was thinking.”

They started out for the practice range in companionable silence, but the air quickly filled with tension. Thankfully, Sango finally took it upon herself to break the moment.

“Kag look, are you going to tell me what's bothering you?”

“What? What do you mean?”

“Oh please, I wasn't your roommate in college for nothing. You wouldn't just leave work for any old reason. There is something serious going on, and judging by the hangdog look Inuyasha had on his face the other day, I'd say it involved the two of you.”

Kagome hadn't heard his name mentioned aloud in three days, since she had last seen him in the park, and felt her whole body flinch. This didn't go unnoticed by her friend.

“Aha, I knew it! So what happened?”

Kagome sighed, knowing she had been caught. Turning around, she picked up the bow and arrows from the other day and fingered the familiar wood absentmindedly.

“I kissed a married man,” she finally sighed, waiting for Sango to gasp and say what a horrible girl she was. But it didn't happen. Instead she felt friendly arms encircle her in a hug.

“Oh Kagome, do you love him?”

It was such a blunt question, and yet Kagome didn't feel herself offended or uncomfortable. Instead she just felt strangely resigned to the idea.

“Yes,” she whispered, realizing it was the first time she had admitted it aloud to anyone other then herself and the Goshinboku tree.

“And how does he feel about you?”

Tears prickled her eyes as she replied. “I don't know. I just don't know Sango, sometimes I think he loves me too, but other times I think I'm just Kikyou in another form.”

“Oh Kag,” Sango just embraced her tighter, letting her friend cry. Finally she pulled away and wiped at her eyes.

“I'm okay, thanks,” she tried to smile. “I think I'll shoot some arrows, that always makes me feel better.”

Sango smirked. “And whose head are you going to be aiming for this time? Inuyasha's? Kikyou's?” She took on a sly look. “Miroku's?”

“Why Miroku's?”

“Just because he's Miroku.” They both had a good laugh with that one.

“Speaking of Miroku,” Kagome finally said, “Shouldn't you get going? I think you have a date to get ready for.”

“It's not a date,” Sango sputtered.

“Of course, sorry,” Kagome smiled at her friend. Her feelings for him were so obvious it was cute. “But either way, you should probably get going.”

“Yeah, yeah, I can take a hint and leave.”

“That's not what I meant!”

“I know,” they both smiled at each other. “I'll see you later Kag.”

Kagome smiled as she heard Sango's retreating footsteps before notching an arrow and firing it at the tree. It did make her feel better, for some reason, hearing that satisfactory thud against the trunk.

“I can't picture poor Miroku though,” she muttered, laughing to herself. Unlike Sango, she wasn't in love enough with the man to want to hit him with an arrow. Inuyasha on the other hand was a different story.

After firing another arrow, she became aware of the sound of footsteps and smiled, wondering what Sango had forgotten this time. “You know, you're getting forgetful if you're back before I've even fired off three arrows.”

Turning around, Kagome quickly felt the smile leave her face as she became caught in a very familiar amber gaze. She was shocked, and yet it was what her heart had wanted since she came to the shrine, right? Him coming up and taking her in his arms and telling her he loved her.

“Inuyasha, what are you doing here?”

“What?” He had been so enraptured by her figure as she had fired that last arrow, with the way it had lit up like a pink candle and caused her own body to radiate a certain light, that now he couldn't remember what he was going to say. Hence the rather stupid response.

“What are you doing here?”

“Oh,” He couldn't help but blush slightly. “I, um, need to talk to you.”

“Yes, I can see that.” The smile crept onto her face as though she didn't want it to, but couldn't stop it any more then she could stop the world from spinning. It was a pleasant thought at least.

She noticed that he had a bag slung over his shoulder, making walking with the crutches very difficult considering he was leaning toward his right side almost like he would fall over at any moment.

“Here,” she said finally, breaking the moment, “Let me take that so you can have a little relief. No doubt the stairs were overwhelming.”

That broke the ice.

“No shit! You didn't tell me you lived on top of over a hundred stairs!” She laughed, and it was music to his ears.

“You never asked, and I wasn't expecting you to come to my home.”

“Really?” That trademark smirk she knew so well fell into place on his face. “You don't think I intended to just let you leave so I wouldn't have therapy for two weeks?”

“Sango is perfectly capable-”

“Sango isn't you.”

Kagome blushed but smiled, feeling happier suddenly then she had in a long time. He hadn't exactly come bounding up the stairs and swept her off her feet, but then if he had he wouldn't be Inuyasha.

Her Inuyasha.

Glancing at the house, she looked back into those familiar amber eyes and smiled again. “Would you like to come in? I'm sure my mom has made some cookies.”

He smiled back, and it was then that Kagome felt more loved then ever, and she decided that, no matter what happened, it was all worth it in the end.

“I'd love to.”