InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Spiritual Machines ❯ If You Believe ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Spiritual Machines
Chapter 4
If You Believe
 
Okay, we left off last time with a note from the desk of Kagome. Oh, and by the way, if this font is bigger than the other ones, I'm not really sure why, because for some reason my word documents are all much too big! I'll try and fix it soon, but I'm not even sure if it shows up here…anyway, on with the show.
 
Kagome put down her pen and closed the book, looking up with tired eyes as Inuyasha came into the room.
 
~*~*~*~*~*
 
So
You've made up you're mind
You're tired of crying
 
“Kagome?” he said, looking rather perplexed, carrying something in his hand that she could not quite see.
 
“Yes?” she replied softly, curious despite her depression.
 
He looked a bit uncomfortable in asking.
 
“Who's … this?” he held out his hand, and in it was a photograph.
 
Of Kagome's father.
 
Her eyes widened - she hadn't known that there were any left in the house, because the family did not like to be reminded that he was only a memory now.
 
“Where…did you get this?” she inquired urgently, her voice trembling ever so slightly.
 
His eyes were concerned. “In just some cupboard…is something wrong?”
 
Uh oh… Inuyasha thought. Did I bring up something I shouldn't have? I ALWAYS seem to have the WORST timing…
 
Her face suddenly went expressionless, as if she had suddenly put on a mask.
 
“It's my father. He died a long time ago.” She finally said, not meeting his eyes.
 
Inuyasha's face seemed to fall somehow, he became less curious and just wanted to drop the matter.
 
“Oh…er…sorry…” he stuttered, not sure how he was supposed to respond to something like that.
 
There was an awkward silence.
 
Kagome looked around her room. A pair of scissors lay half shut on the desk.
 
A rose with pointy thorns was in a vase by her bed.
 
A pencil with a sharp point lay nearby the scissors.
 
An arrow, forgotten in this era, lay near the door.
 
It glinted from an unknown light source.
 
Kagome felt trapped, she wanted to get out of there, away from all these horrible things that would make her do something she would regret…
 
She stood up, frightened.
 
“Can we go back to the Feudal Era now?” she said quickly, the look of pure terror on her face making Inuyasha take a step back.
 
“Shouldn't you stay here longer?” he said, a little dazed.
 
“No!” she said with such force his eyes widened.
 
She had scared him a lot that day…she was starting to scare him again.
 
Kagome saw the look on his face, and backed down a bit. She smiled, and said, “I'd just like to have something to do, that's all…keep me busy, you know?”
 
Inuyasha relaxed a bit, but was still wary. That was the fastest recovery from a suicide attempt that I've ever seen. But he smiled inside. Could this be the first step?
 
“Sure.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Time to be
Scared
And you wanted
To fly
 
It felt good for both of them to be back in the Feudal Era.
 
For Inuyasha, it was his world, and it was nice to be somewhere he was familiar with.
 
For Kagome, she just felt lucky to be in a less dangerous environment. She still didn't trust herself.
 
She thought on all that had happened…
 
Was it only this morning? Was it all real? I wish I could have turned back time and thought it through…but what if I still wanted to? I don't want to know some things about myself…
 
Inuyasha seemed quieter to her, more subdued.
 
What had happened to his mind in those few hours?
 
She blushed as she thought of the reason behind the madness.
 
Did he really? Was that just a dream too?
 
Now that was one thing she didn't want to erase.
 
In fact, she wished she could repeat it again and again and again…
 
Kagome sighed, making Inuyasha look over at her.
 
I don't know what to say to her anymore… he thought sadly, and looked at the girl beside him.
 
It wasn't Kagome.
 
It had Kagome's body, her looks, her hair, her eyes…but it wasn't her.
 
This morning had made sure of that.
 
Bitterness filled him. I should have fought the curse more, I should have done something…something to have prevented this… but something surprised him out of his thoughts. Kagome's hand had wrapped itself around his, squeezing it tightly.
 
“Kagome…you mean…” he started, staring at her.
 
She blushed, taking his comment the wrong way, and quickly began to withdraw her hand.
 
“Sorry…” she muttered, and walked faster.
 
“No…” he said quietly, and grabbed her hand, stopping her in her tracks.
 
“Does this mean…that you don't hate me?” he said, and then looked away.
 
Kagome was incredulous.
 
“Hate you? Why would I hate you?”
 
He sighed. “Because it's my fault that you tried to do that today…I should have…done something…” Inuyasha said, voicing some of the regrets that had been in his mind all day.
 
She was shocked. This was Inuyasha? The same one she knew, right? The answer soon came to her.
 
No…it's not. He's changed. I've changed. Kagome was saddened through these words.
 
She began walking again, slower this time, and Inuyasha followed suit.
 
But he still didn't let go of her hand.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You can't close
Your eyes
Time to
Beware
 
“Can you excuse me a minute? I have to er… take care of something.” Kagome said, blushing slightly.
 
Inuyasha could take a hint at her hidden meaning.
 
“Sure. I'll wait for you.” He stopped and crossed his arms over his chest, preparing to wait.
 
But, unfortunately for both of them, as soon as Kagome was out of sight, Inuyasha was drawn back into a horrible situation.
 
For Kanna had returned, her mirror in her hands, kidnapping the Hanyou for the second time that day.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Inuyasha?” said Kagome, for she had returned to the spot where he was a second ago, only to find him gone.
 
“Are you there? Inuyasha!” she said, getting frantic at being left alone in an unfamiliar area for her.
 
Kagome began to run, screaming his name. She finally stumbled into a clearing, and saw him waiting for her, a smile on his face.
 
Wait a minute.
 
Kagome's senses screamed “DANGER!” but nothing was that out of the ordinary.
 
Then it clicked.
 
Inuyasha was in his human form.
 
In the afternoon.
 
And he almost never smiled.
 
“Inu…yasha?” Kagome said cautiously.
 
“Right here, Kagome.” His smile widened, which was just downright scary for her, yet comforting at the same time.
 
“Why are you human?” she asked tentatively, wondering why this situation seemed so wrong, other than his form.
 
His eyes danced. “That's why I'm over here, instead of waiting for you. It's a surprise. I've finally made my choice…and I choose you, Kagome.”
 
Her eyes went wide in shock.
 
“Kikyou is at rest, and I used my fragments of the jewel to make myself a human.”
 
Kagome couldn't believe it.
 
He suddenly became more serious. “Kagome…” he began, but the tone of his voice was not right. It didn't have the familiar crack, thick with emotion, whenever he was trying to tell her something.
 
“Will you stay with me?” he said, his voice breaking.
 
This did not seem right, yet….
 
Kagome wanted this so much, this was what she had desired from the moment she realized she loved him…how could she turn away?
 
She ran up to him.
 
Kagome stared into his eyes, which were brown now…the fierce golden glare was gone, replaced with a gentle brown glow. But why did they seem so empty?
Inuyasha pulled her into a hug, clutching her so tight it almost hurt.
 
In fact, it did quite hurt.
 
He raised her mouth, and began to kiss her.
 
Suddenly, Kagome knew that this was not Inuyasha.
 
How could she have been fooled by such a poor image?
 
She tried to pull away, but Naraku, in Inuyasha's form, had inserted his hands inside her back.
 
He was going to steal her soul.
 
Kagome struggled, tried to escape, but it seemed that this morning had definitely taken its toll on her strength.
 
But if you
Believe
In the world I'm
Calling
 
She felt weak, limp, and through dizzy eyes she saw herself beneath her.
 
Kagome realized that she was leaving her body, and that she was going to die - for the second time today. She was sad at that.
 
I want…to…live… she realized again, and although the first time she had had a savior, she was sure the outcome would be different this time.
 
A purple glow pierced through the darkness clouding her eyes, and she knew it was a Miko's power.
 
But who's?
 
It wasn't hers.
 
She was almost dead, let alone powerful.
 
But…if death was near, was her vision supposed to become clearer and clearer?
 
She looked up, and saw an expression of shock on Naraku, still in Inuyasha's form.
 
She looked further down, and saw the arrow that pierced his chest.
 
Kagome was amazed. How could this happen? She looked over to the side of the clearing and gasped.
 
Kikyou.
 
Why had she helped her?
 
But laughter from above snapped her head back to the one whom was still grabbing her.
 
“Always in the way, aren't you? I'm beginning to wonder who's side you're on.” Said Naraku, twisting Inuyasha's beautiful face into a horrible mocking grin.
 
Kikyou glared at him, her bow still in the air. Slowly she lowered it.
 
“I come here only to repay a debt.” She said in her cold icy tone.
 
Kagome realized that Kikyou had only come here to repay her for saving her in the youkai's cave she had been in, where Kagome had found her and saved her. (See episode 98)
 
Slowly, Naraku turned into dust, revealing yet another puppet.
 
Kagome fell to the ground, tears falling down her face. She felt sick. Where was the real Inuyasha?
 
She looked up, and saw that Kikyou had disappeared. She was alone.
 
Moaning, she hugged herself in attempt to bring back warmth to her frozen limbs. She felt unclean, knowing she had been touched by evil. It was horrible.
 
And if you
Believe
In the world I
Saw
 
She ran, trying to get away, looking for a moon to follow, but finding none.
 
She eventually just collapsed in a corner, sobbing.
 
~Inuyasha's Encounter~
 
Inuyasha growled at the albino girl who had once again captured him.
 
“What do you want with me this time?” he growled, his hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt.
 
“Nothing. This way.” She said in her emotionless voice, walking in one direction. Inuyasha followed uneasily.
 
Inside the room where Kanna had led him, Kagura was waiting.
 
Inuyasha's scowl darkened even more.
 
“What the fuck do you bitches want?” he yelled, drawing his sword.
 
“Easy, Inuyasha, we're not here to fight. That's for another time. We're just waiting for Naraku to finish with your Miko.” She drawled.
 
Inuyasha gasped, and his eyes widened, showing great fear behind them.
 
“Kagome?” he whispered, more to himself than to them.
 
“Whatever her name was. Now go like a good boy and wait quietly.”
 
Kanna turned her back on him, and immediately found herself pinned by her neck to the wall.
 
“What are you going to do to Kagome?” he demanded, but before he could question her further, Kagura had whipped out her fan and attacked him with her Fujin no Mai (forgive spelling errors please).
 
They caught him off guard, and send him crashing to the floor, blood leaking from several small gashes on his arm.
 
“Bitch.” He said, his voice dripping with menace and hate.
 
“Never mind the dog insults now. Now, are we ready to go and wait quietly?”
 
Realizing there was nothing he could do at the moment, he followed Kanna unwillingly and allowed himself to be locked into a small room, where for two hours he paced and muttered to himself, swearing that he would never forgive himself if something happened to his Kagome.
 
Suddenly he realized that it was only a precious half hour until nightfall.
 
OH SHIT! He mentally screamed, not wanting to give away that anything was wrong.
 
But at that moment, Kanna re-entered the room.
 
“Am I allowed out like a fucking church boy or are you just here to fuck around with my head more, bitch?” he hissed.
Kanna just looked bored. “We are ready for you to return.” She whispered in her small voice, and without another word, sent him spinning through the mirror.
 
Frowning, Kanna shook the mirror slightly.
 
Kagura looked up, sensing the rare change of emotion of the albino.
 
“What's up, Kanna?” she inquired.
 
“It is not working. Inuyasha is still in the mirror. There is an interference.”
 
Kagura snapped to attention.
 
“What do we do then?”
 
“Wait. It should sort itself out.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Inuyasha was hurtling through a light, so bright it hurt his eyes.
 
“What the FUCK is going on?” he said to himself.
 
He knew that Kanna had sucked him in her mirror again. He normally would have broken the damn thing, but this was his only chance to go out and save Kagome.
 
Unless it was already too late.
 
He refused to let himself think that, knowing it would only make him panic even more than he already was.
 
He winced - That light was really fucking his eyes up!
 
But suddenly, he drew a quick intake of breathe in surprise.
 
For in the depths of Kanna's mirror, another figure had appeared.
 
If you
Believe
In the world I'm
Calling
 
It was an old man - simple white robes billowed around his thing and ragged frame. His long white hair and beard made him appear somewhat fatherly, although Inuyasha didn't trust him for a second.
 
This was the world inside a mirror, right? Who could be trusted? The old man smiled, and Inuyasha's wariness increased, although the man had no presence of jyaki, it didn't mean that it wasn't there.
 
Naraku always smiled.
 
But when it spoke, all doubts either magnified or swept away.
 
“Hello Inuyasha. I have heard of your quest. I am a spiritual medium, and I have learned from my spirit acquaintances that you are searching for a way to destroy Naraku.”
 
“What about it? He's the bastard who fucked my life up!” he shouted.
 
“Now, now. I come here with no wish to harm you, but to guide you. You may take Naraku on now, but even if you do win, you would be the sole survivor. The monk, the taijya, and the miko would all be destroyed. If you wish to be stronger, journey in the mountains to my shrine.”
 
As alert as he was, Inuyasha couldn't help but be curious.
 
“And which mountains might those be? In case you hadn't noticed, the place we live in isn't exactly a desert!”
 
“Go to the North - don't stop until you see the sun rising in the south.”
 
Now he was just plain confused. Who ever heard of the sun rising in the South? Kagome had brought her weird “Science” book back here once, and it CLEARLY stated that the sun rose in the West…or East. One of the two.
 
“Baka, the sun doesn't rise in the South!”
 
“I'm quite aware of that.” He said with a smile. “But I can assure you that it is quite possible if you see it my way. Now I'm afraid I've run out of time. I will see you soon, Inuyasha - and Kagome shall be with you.” With a last twinkling in his wrinkled eyes, he slowly faded away.
 
Inuyasha finally got out of the mirror, and blinked a few times while sitting on the ground, trying to get his balance back.
 
Suddenly, he was snapped back to reality.
 
Kagome!
 
Where was she?
 
He leaped up, frantically searching in the dying light.
What was this?
 
He breathed in deep, and yes, a faint whiff of Kagome's sweet scent was inhaled.
 
He dashed off in the direction in which it was coming from.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
You'll be
Strong
 
Ten minutes of frantic searching later, Inuyasha finally came across Kagome, cuddled up in the middle of a clearing.
 
“Kagome!” he said quickly, but right away he could tell something was wrong.
 
She looked up, and the look of pure terror on her face was so great he backed up a step. Kagome, however, did much more than that.
 
In an effort to get away, she screamed, cried, and scrambled her way to the edge of the clearing where she lay there, cowering, looking up at him with scared eyes.
 
“Kagome…” he said softly, not understanding, but getting worried and angry. What the hell had Naraku done to her?
 
He took a step towards her and she moaned in fear.
 
Trying to ignore her whimpering, he walked over until he was standing right above her.
 
She hid her eyes, and cried even harder.
 
He crouched down beside her, trying to figure out what was wrong.
 
“Get away…from me…” she whispered, but it turned into a scream.
“GET AWAY FROM ME!” she yelled at him, still hiding her face, missing the pain that flashed across his.
 
“But…Kagome…are you alright?” he said softly.
 
She finally looked up at him, and cried out once more. “Leave…me…alone!”
 
This time she saw the anger and hurt that was now openly showing on his face and in his eyes.
 
Could he…be real? She thought, but quickly dismissed that thought.
“Kagome…it's me! Inuyasha, dammit, you know me!”
 
“Then why are you human.” She said, menace trying to replace the fear in her voice.
 
He was confused.
 
“Kagome…it's the Night of the New Moon, remember?” he said, and Kagome remembered that when she had been running there had been no moon for her to follow.
 
So you wasted your time
You willed it goodbye
Time to be scared
 
“Inu…yasha?” she whispered, and as hard as she tried to sense something wrong, the whole situation felt somehow right, and nothing was out of place…aside from her.
 
He saw her pain, and although he didn't know what he had done to her, he swore he would make Naraku pay. But seeing the anguish on her face so many times that day…he knew he had to do something to make it go away.
 
He remembered earlier, and flushed a bit.
 
Another tear slid down Kagome's face.
 
He couldn't stand it anymore - without a second thought he pulled her off the ground and into his bone-crushing, yet loving embrace.
 
Immediately, Kagome felt more tears falling, but these were of relief, because she knew now that Inuyasha was indeed who he claimed to be. She leaned against him, crying out her fears, and allowing herself to be comforted by his warmth.
 
“Kagome…what did he do to you?” he asked softly, not wanting to upset her more, yet needing to know what she had been through.
 
“Naraku…came…” she began, but memories were hard to relive, and the feeling of death once again could not be banished from her mind so easily.
 
“He looked…like you…human…”
 
Kagome heard a sharp intake of breath from above. His arms around her had tensed, and she could tell he was angry already.
 
“Started to…kiss me…” she sobbed.
 
At this, his breathing grew ragged, as if he were fighting hard to control his rage. His hands were balled into fists.
“Wanted…to steal…my soul!” she burst out, then broke down in a fit of tears.
 
His eyes grew wide.
 
Kagome looked up at his face, and saw that it was burning with anger.
 
“How…dare…he…do that to you...Kagome!” he said through clenched teeth.
 
She was a little nervous at his mood…she had never, ever seen him this angry and enraged. And to think, it was because of worry for her safety?
 
You thought you could buy
You're last piece of mind
Time to beware
 
“Inuyasha?” she whispered. She was tired, sad, miserable, depressed, and weak right now, but she still had compassion, pity and love in her heart for him. Love that would never go away.
 
“Y-yeah?” he said, sensing her change of mood.
 
She had been about to ask him what the kiss had meant to him - but chickened out.
 
“Don't you want to know who saved me?” she said quickly, averting her eyes.
 
“Didn't you save yourself?” he said, taken aback at the question.
 
“No…but in a way, maybe…” she said quietly.
 
Inuyasha saw where this was going.
 
“Kagome…did…Kikyou save you?” he whispered, his eyes unreadable and clouded with emotion.
 
“Yes. To repay me for saving her in the cave.” She replied.
 
“Cave? What cave?” he said quickly, trying to put two and two together.
 
“Oh right…you weren't there. One day when I went for a walk I found Kikyou in a demon's nest, but I was also trapped. We defeated the youkai, but not after I had carried her for a long time when she couldn't walk anymore.”
 
His eyes softened, but for which girl she didn't know. “I see.” Were the only words issued from his mouth.
 
“Kagome…” he said suddenly. “Did you really mean it when you said it was a piece of yourself that saved you?”
 
“Well…I am her reincarnation…and doesn't everyone keep reminding me how I'm only a copy of her?” she said sadly, as if regretting her own lineage.
 
He tilted her chin up to look at his face. “Kagome…” but did not finish the sentence.
 
Instead, he quickly leaned down before he lost his courage to show her that he thought her VERY different than Kikyou - for this had been twice in a day that he had kissed her, and with Kikyou it had to be only once a month if that.
 
“Kagome…” he whispered between the times when their lips met.
 
“You're so much…better…at this...than Kikyou…ever was…” he said softly, making Kagome's eyes snap open in surprise. Could this be a rare confession of feelings from her beloved Inuyasha?
 
But he didn't say anything more, just brought her head closer to his, adding in a little sweetness to this day of pain.
 
But if you believe in the world I'm calling
And if you belong in the world I saw
And if you believe in the world I'm calling
You'll be strong
 
 
When they finally pulled apart, all they did for a few minutes was stare into each other's eyes, wondering what it meant to the other.
 
I bet that didn't mean a lot to him…I bet he only did that to comfort me. Thought Kagome, although even the fact that he would go to such measure's to make her feel better made her feel warm inside.
 
I wonder if that meant much more than a distraction from her pain… he thought bitterly, but then eased his mind with much more pleasant memories, like her rubbing his ears gently with her hand.
 
“Do you want to just get a bit of sleep right here?” Inuyasha asked her.
 
“Yeah…I'm really tired.” Kagome replied while yawning.
 
Immediately, he picked her up and leaned against a tree with her.
 
“Inuyasha…” she started, blushing.
 
“Look, if you don't want me here I can just go somewhere else.” He said gruffly, embarrassed.
 
She responded by snuggling up to him and falling asleep muttering drowsily “Don't go…”
 
He turned a little red, then smiled softly down at the girl next to him.
 
But if you believe in the world I'm calling
And if you belong in the world I saw
And if you believe in the world I'm calling
You'll be strong
 
“Kagome?” he said softly.
 
“Yeah?” she whispered, too tired to speak normally.
 
“You're nothing like Kikyou.”
 
And with that, he held her a little tighter, and drifted off to sleep.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Author's Notes:
 
YAY! Another chapter done! I'm sorry it took so long - but - Reviewers!
 
Nauriell: Thank you SO much for being so supporting of my fanfiction! I hope you like the actual chapter here! Yours is so good - are you going to update soon? I hope so!
 
SamP - I hope I got your name right; I'm going by memory here, but thanks for reviewing! Glad you liked it!
 
Angel_4_Life: Thanks so much for reviewing! I really love your fanfiction - I hope you make another!
 
Kagome_Chan17: I know this comes a little late, (forgive me!) but thanks so much for reviewing! I hope that you'll like the rest of it!
 
AND LAST BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST!
 
Hingeitsa-Sama: I finally got the chapter up!!!! Do you like it? I hope so! You better, this took a really long time to write…haha, enjoy! Let me know what you think, ok? HELLLAWOOOT!
 
Well, that's all! I hope to get more lovely reviews! RIGHT?