InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen Kisses ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
He ran to the tree near the village as fast as he could. It wasn't the tree, the one that that stupid half-brain mutt sat in a lot. It was a different tree, one where she'd be, waiting for him, just on the edge of the village. She was always there by the time he arrived, always waiting. And he could see her, profiled in the moonlight, leaning against a tree, looking away from him, down at the village where he supposed the others in her group were.
 
They had been seeing each other, secretly, for months. Kouga would come to her whenever he could, whenever the others were preoccupied with something. Sometimes, she wouldn't be waiting at the tree, and then he'd return to his waterfall den. But when she was there, they'd spend most of the night together; talking, kissing, and sometimes neither. He enjoyed every second with her, relished in it. She was his then, not one of that mutt's group.
 
But, sometime into the night, she would say she had to go, and return to the group. He would ask her not to go, not to return to the village, but to come with him to his den and live there with him. She would shake her head, no. This was her family, her clan. She couldn't leave them. And then he would nod, understanding. He would never, not for a second, consider leaving his clan, but he was the head of it, and thus could not leave them. She was not the head of her group. She could leave. But, he would not voice this. He would only nod and look down at the ground. Then she would kiss his cheek, and go off to bathe at the local hotspring. `To get rid of yoursmell,' she had explained once. `Inuyasha will smell it and know.'
 
She didn't want him, that half-breed, to know about them, and it drove Kouga insane. He wanted everyone to know that they were one, that she was his mate (or would soon be, as they hadn't completed the act as of yet). He wanted to flaunt her, to show the whole world what they couldn't have. It was just the way wolf demons were; they showed off their mates, fought over them.
 
He tried to convince her that it didn't matter if anyone knew about them, that if the mutt tried to hurt her for it, he'd pay with his life. But she wasn't worried about that. `He'd never hurt me,' she had said softly. `I…They'll think differently about me, that's all. I will tell them, one day. Just not now.'
 
He'd been waiting for months, and he was willing to wait longer, for her. She said that after the shikon jewel was together and Naraku was killed, then she could stay with him. Then she could tell her group. He told her that the two of them could go after Naraku; both of them had reasons to go after him. They could defeat him together. But again, she said no. She wanted to be with them.
 
Sometimes, when he spent the nights alone and was able to think, he felt like he was second in her life, not as important as the others. But then he'd meet with her, and she'd tell him things, things he was sure she had never told anyone else before. Things about her brother, her home, anything. She confided everything to him and hid nothing. He loved being that person in her life; she could have so easily chosen someone else.
 
He watched over her; he doubted she even knew how much. Whenever she was nearby, and not off on some journey to find jewel shards, he'd stay near, watching her from a distance safe enough that he knew Dog-face wouldn't smell him. He'd stay downwind, and watch her with the others. He'd smile, knowing she was happy, that she was safe. It was when she was in battle he worried. She could take care of herself when fighting demons; she'd more than proven that. But, there was still the chance that she could get injured, that she could die, and that thought scared him. It was one of the reasons he wanted her with him at all times; so he could protect her.
 
He'd come to her sometimes, and she'd have new scars, or a bandaged arm. A pang of guilt would cut through him; he should be protecting her, not allowing her to get hurt. It wasn't right, for a demon to let his mate go fight other demons, to get hurt and scarred. But…it didn't seem right for him to force her into not going.
 
Kouga reached her, coming up behind her softly, silent. She jumped when he whispered her name.
 
“Kouga?” she replied, just as quietly, turning around and then gave a huge smile when she saw him.
 
She was beautiful, absolutely beautiful when she smiled like that. He loved seeing her like that, and it happened so rarely. She almost never smiled, truly smiled, not even with him.
 
He slid a hand up her cheek, into her hair, freeing it from the loose bind that held it as he stepped closer. He could feel her breath, hot on his lips, quickening, becoming sharper. She drew in a rough, shaky breath, closing her eyes, and Kouga smiled. This…he loved this, this dominance he had over her. She never let anyone else dominate her, she was never submissive. She was always in control…unless she was with him. And he loved it, knowing he had the power in the relationship, that he would be the one to support her, protect her, guide her…. He would do everything for her.
 
He brushed his lips over hers, getting a soft mewl from her. She was so submissive, and she knew it. And, he was sure she liked not being in total control for once.
 
He whispered her name again. “Please…. Come back with me tonight.”
 
She made a noise, as though to say no.
 
“Please,” he whispered again. “I want you at my side always, Sango.”