InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Storm of Emotions ❯ chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4


Soft light glowed in a sensual dance around her, a light breeze brushing against her skin. A sense of calm washed over her. A flash of brilliant gold peered through the darkness, no not gold... Fire? The light in her darkness grew closer, enticing her to focus solely on it.

Amber!

Yes that was the color of them, but what were they? It felt familiar... Something she should remember. Something she couldn't forget completely. Something....

Kill Him! Kill Inuyasha” A thick and rigid voice was trying to draw her from her now warm and comfortable place.

“What? Kill Who? Those orbs are so pretty, so warm... I think I'll stay here for a while longer.”Kagome was fighting to stay in a place she felt safe. She did not like that voice at the back of her mind. She liked the pretty orbs better. They were beckoning her after all.

KILL HIM WENCH, KILL INUYASHA!” The voice was back, more ominous and demanding than before.

Kill Inuyasha, Why? They look like they're on fire. Those orbs are so close I could almost touch them. Just another moment and they'll be within my reach. Then I will do as you wish.”


Kagome was still holding her bow, drawn and ready to fire. It had slipped down somewhat, but she could release it at any moment, sending the deadly arrow into him. Inuyasha was in no state of worry, since the beast inside had taken hold of his consciousness reins. The youkai would not tolerate the pain and suffering of its chosen one, nor would it subject itself to undo harm. Subjecting itself to that would mean the possibility of failure to protect its mate.

Before, the transformed Inuyasha would have thrown himself into battle, ignorant to his own well being. However, since claiming a mate, the youkai within was devoted to her protection, her comfort, and her overall well being. Seeing Kagome in obvious physical and mental distress had pushed Inuyasha to his limits and the beast within had won its battle for control. No one could possibly hope to save the wolf that stood between them, nor the one who pulled the strings on this puppetry of deceit. However, Inuyasha had to remove Kagome from danger, before attacking the wolf. He could not risk her being harmed indirectly from any attack aimed at the wolf demon in front of her. There was also the issue of the priestess at his side. The lifeless resurrection of a woman from his past. His demon felt no regret at its decision for her demise. In fact in all actuality, he would be doing her a favor, releasing her troubled soul from its pained and incomplete existence.

First and foremost was Kagome's safety. Their limited bond allowed him some connection with the girl. In his full demon form it was much easier for him to access the far reaches of her consciousness, calling out for her. She would not be aware of this ability, but she would be drawn to it. Their mating may be incomplete, but a connection was present, and he would focus on making her aware of the tainted shards. Once she could concentrate on purifying the shards, he would make her retreat to a safe distance. Following that he could kill the wolf, priestess, and finally the master of this hanous plot. Naraku would perish for his acts of intolerable suffering and cruelty. Today it ended.


Kagome, I need you to come to me! You must fight from the inside Kagome.” The warm voice floated towards her.

Fight what?” Those amber orbs where right in front of her. They were instructing her to do something. The voice seemed much nicer than the one still screaming behind her.

There are tainted shards in your neck Kagome. Can you find them love?” The eyes had moved, almost asking her to follow.

“Shards? Where do I look?”She was so confused, but she didn't want to disappoint the orbs that were warming her from within, drowning out the other terrible voice.

In your neck Kagome, you must purify the tainted shards in your neck.” The voice was moving. Not wanting to lose it, she followed.

My neck?” She felt her body moving, but ignored it. It would be alright if she followed that voice. She was unsure of the details, but she knew that those amber globes could be trusted. She focused on doing as they asked and began a mental scan of her body. She traveled down towards her neck and came across a large rock shaped object. It seemed to foreign to her, this must be what the warm voice was talking about.



Miroku and Sango watched in silence at an unexpected occurrence below. Inuyasha had not moved an inch since transforming into a youkai. His hand still clutched the fang sword at his hip. Kagome had drawn her bow moments before, preparing to launch a sacred arrow into his heart. Suddenly after Inuyasha's youki had taken control, the young miko had lowered the weapon and began backing away from Kouga. Her eyes were still lifeless, but she had stopped her aggression and appeared to be retreating. Then, dropping her bow, her hand had come up to touch the tainted shards in her neck. Sheltered behind a large tree she had sat and stared into the fog.

“What is she doing? Do you think she is fighting the shards? Why isn't Inuyasha doing anything?” Sango bludgeoned the monk with a barrage of questions.

“I'm not sure Sango, it seems as though Inuyasha is waiting until she is out of harms way.” the monk responded taking note of the actions of those below him.


“Purify the shards? How do I do that?” Kagome was unaware that she had moved away from the group and was now seated behind a large tree, protect from the storm that was about to blow through. Amber globes disappearing worried her at first, but a reassuring feeling flooded in as they receded into darkness. Waves of warmth, love, and the images of her mate where transferred to her by her Inuyasha. Her reiki focused on those emotions and set to work on purifying the shard within. She was rewarded quickly as a tiny pink glow twinkled weakly within the depths of the black shard. Now she focused solely on making that twinkle larger.

Inuyasha was satisfied at her safety and her beginning attempts to purify the shard. His eyes flicked with rage as the wind finally blew the long mane covering his face off to the side. His grasped his sword and in one fast movement, drew it and aimed at the wolf beside him. He payed no mind to the sound of a thud as the clay miko behind him fell to the ground.

“I don't believe it!” Miroku muttered above his breathing. Inuyasha had pulled his sword, drawing it straight through the body of the Kikyo. He had slain her in one quick and decisive blow, feigning no emotion as he pointed the fang sword at the next target. Not only could he not believe that Inuyasha had just slain Kikyo, but his youki was able to wield the sword. He had been under the impression that Inuyasha's ability to hold the sword was in part his desire to protect others, but his human half as well. To his knowledge, no demon had ever been able to hold the sword. Before the fang had controlled his demon half, ending his transformations. Now it seemed that the sword was completely acting on the will of Inuyasha's youki.

“How can this be? He just slew Kikyo with his sword. I can't believe it.” Sango too was at a loss for anymore words. She was well aware of the swords former abilities and was astonished to see the demon slay its former love with the fang.

A deep and venomous growl rumbled from deep inside the demon's throat, causing the pair of humans above him to shiver. They watched in a combination of horror and fascination as he launched his attack on the wolf below. With lightening speed he pushed forward, slicing the wolf down in two quick blows. He hadn't even called upon any of the swords special abilities. Kouga had not even been able to suspect an upcoming attack. Never had they witnessed such strength from their friend Inuyasha. Never such speed and agility.

“Sango, perhaps we should go assist Kagome. I feel that we need to erect a barrier around her. Naraku could do anything now that Inuyasha is in this state. Kagome is our first priority.” Miroku spoke to his companion as he weighed their options.

“Right! Kirara lets go!” Sango voiced back, and they were soon descending to the girl braced behind the tree.

Within a short moment, the remaining group was on the ground at Kagome's feet. Miroku was quick to erect a strong barrier around the young miko. Sango had taken up a position beside Kagome, holding her hand and whispering words of encouragement to her. It was Sango who was the first to notice the change in Kagome's physical form. No longer was her body stiff and lifeless. Her eyes were filled with pain and anguish, which although did little to cease Sango's worry, did assure her that her friend was no longer under Naraku's complete control and was fighting a lone battle within. The enormous jewel shard within her neck was still quite tainted, but Sango could see that the center of the shard was glowing pink. At seeing this she smiled.

“Miroku! Kagome is trying to purify the shard! She's fighting Naraku's control.” She was ecstatic to see some hope in the girls eyes as she fought for control over the shard.

“Kagome will have a tough battle ahead of her. I hope for her sake that Inuyasha finishes this fight soon. The sooner Naraku is taken care of the better. Judging by the size of the fragment in her neck, I suspect Naraku was not expecting the outcome of his plot. He underestimated the strength of will of Kagome. He also apparently underestimated Inuyasha.” Miroku was again contemplating the situation. He was now sitting cross legged on the ground, holding the staff that had been jammed into the soil. A barrier had spread from the staff and he was ensuring its longevity.

“Miroku!” Sango gasped, “This mark on Kagome's neck, I noticed it before, but I never... is it possible?” She looked questioningly at her companion. Knowing that he would understand what she was getting at.

“I see my dear Sango. I believe indeed that Naraku is in for an enlightening experience. This bodes well for all of us. Very well indeed.” The monk smiled reassuringly to the slayer beside him. For if that mark was indeed what the two of them suspected. The bond between priestess and hanyou was very strong. That mark would explain the pairs odd behavior before. It was of little wonder to them now how Kagome had come to walk away from Naraku's clutches and Inuyasha's demon abilities were becoming clearer as well.

Miroku and Sango exchanged slight blushes of knowing. The monk extended his hand to briefly squeeze Sango's small and fragile one. If what they thought was correct, they to could very soon be spending their days as a couple, no longer fighting Naraku and searching for the shards. A small glint of hope crossed his features as he allowed himself one quick glance at his cursed hand before turning his full attention back on the barrier.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Kanna wandered quietly through the dense forest. It had now been a full day since the infant whom Naraku had sealed his heart in had dissolved. It had been a problem for Naraku, keeping his heart from his body. He had tried many times to discard it from himself, the most successful being the infant. However a few months back, the infant had became sick, most likely from a mutation in its genes. Despite constant attempts to perfect his technique, the heart always pushed out of its surrogates body. In fact, the heart had done so from the infants body three times before. Naraku had always been close by and managed to rectify the problem. This time the body had dissolved around the heart, leaving the beating organ wrapped in the infant's blanket.

She was finding her way back to Naraku. He needed to either take the heart back in, or create another surrogate for it to reside within. She paused at the base of a small stream to gather her bearings. The dense fog was inhibiting her ability to maneuver through the difficult terrain. She took shelter in a nearby rock formation, deciding it was safer to wait for the fog to lift. Settling her back against the rock, she pulled her precious package out, wishing to inspect the condition of his heart. Upon opening the small bundle she was surprised to see the heart racing.

“He's fearful of something.” She spoke quietly to herself, pondering the reasons for such fear. He had the jewel shards, that alone would keep him safe from any harm. The only way he could show such fear was if the shards were no longer in his keeping.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Naraku couldn't believe his eyes. Inuyasha, that loathsome half demon had transformed. His demon self had quickly done away with his two paper doll illusions of the dead priestess and the wolf demon. What scared him the most was Inuyasha's self control. He had known about the demon half, but as far as he could tell, Inuyasha normally became nothing more than a monster, unaware of his surroundings.

This time was different. That half demon had willed away his priestess somehow. Removing her from danger before commencing his slaughter on the illusions. Naraku growled in disgust. Kagome would be his, no matter what. The half breed would pay. Even with only two jewel shards in his possession he would be able to beat the loathsome beast. He was Naraku, powerful demon and soon to be ruler of all lands. No one would stop him. No one!

Inuyasha could still sense an evil presence about him. He turned carefully, sniffing the air around him, ears twitching rapidly. There! To the west, about fifty feet away, the scent was the strongest there. He turned his head in the opposite direction not wanting to give away the fact that he knew where Naraku was hiding. He stepped towards Kagome, aware of others around him. He growled lowly as he approached. There identity did not register in his demon mind. He knew that they were familiar and he could not sense any threat from them, but he did not like others around her.


Sango gasped slightly as the demon form of Inuyasha approached them. She new that the barrier would only keep him out for a while, especially since he was able to use the sword. She gathered Kagome closer to her, unsure of the demon's intentions.

“Sango?” A tiny voice inquired.

“Kagome! Your awake!” Sango was relieved that Kagome finally seemed completely out of Naraku's grasp.

“Where is Inuyasha?” The whispering girl inquired.

“He's fighting with Naraku's.... ah... It doesn't matter. It's over and he's approaching. Kagome, Inuyasha is in his demon form. Miroku has erected a barrier around us to protect us. The jewel shard Naraku placed in you is still lodged in your throat.” Her comment made the young miko in her lap reach up an touch her neck. Her touch purified the remaining darkness from the shard and it shone with a brilliant pink glow.

“Sango? Do you think you can take it out now?” Kagome asked, aware that the shard was purified. She was too weak to take care of the matter herself.

“Yes, but it may hurt Kagome.” Sango reassured her friend by squeezing her hand. She quickly grabbed a small dagger she always had hid in one of her boots. Carefully she lowered the blade to Kagome's neck intending on using it to pry out the jewel.

“Lay very still Kagome, it will only take a few seconds for me to pop it out. Ready!” Sango waited for her friends body to still before pressing the blade against her skin.

She was about to force the blade under the jewel when she heard that menacing growl. Inuyasha was just outside the barrier. She could tell how this must all look to a demon. She was about to speak up when Kagome grabbed her hand that was holding the knife.

“Inuyasha” Kagome whispered, “It's ok. Sango is going to help me get this shard out of my neck. I'm too weak to do it myself. You don't have to worry Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku would never hurt me. They would never hurt you either.” With her final words she looked up at Sango, silently telling her to cut.

In one quick movement, Sango pressed the tip of the blade through Kagome's skin and popped the jewel shard out of her neck. She quickly placed the shard in Kagome's hand and ripped some cloth from the bottom of Kagome's shirt. Pressing the cloth against her neck, quickly stopping the trickle of blood that was trailing down the girls neck.

Inuyasha growled even louder as the scent of Kagome's blood filled the air. He was unsure as to why she did not show any signs of distress. There was no fear in her as the human used a blade to slice into her neck. In fact, she seemed as calm as ever. He stepped closer, the barrier crackling around his foot.

“Miroku, let the barrier down.” Kagome said, sitting up with Sango's assistance.

“Kagome, are you sure?” Miroku eyed the demon Inuyasha warily, not yet certain of their own safety.

“Yes, Inuyasha will not harm you or I.” Kagome spoke, her eyes fixed once more at her lover.

Miroku pulled his staff from the ground and the barrier opened above them, then slowly settled the the ground. It disappeared, seemingly fading into the fog around them. He stepped back towards the girls, ready to protect them if the need arose. To his amazement the youkai walked straight past him, paying him no mind at all. He watched as Sango edged her way back from Kagome to allow the demon to kneel beside her.

A gentle hand reached out to caress the small wound in Kagome's neck. A low growl rumbled from his throat as he inspected where the jewel had been. Naraku would pay for the pain and suffering he had caused to this girl. Kagome was his and he would not tolerate anyone interfering with her. He noticed her wince slightly as he trailed a clawed finger over the wound. Without hesitating he dipped his dead to her throat and licked the blood covered wound. Carefully he cleaned it, letting his healing saliva penetrate its depths.

Kagome shivered when that tongue made contact with her skin. His one hand had come to hold her behind her head, thus allowing him to tilt her head at slight angles to grant him better access to her wound. The other strong arm was secured around her tiny waist. She reached out to hold onto his sleeve on his upper arm. She giggled when she heard a slight whimper come out of his throat. Apparently he was upset that her skin would not heal the same way his did. In his demon form he truly did act more like a dog. Carefully she pushed him back, assuring him that she was alright.

“I'm fine Inuyasha. Really!” She smiled one of her special smiles. When he brought his head up to face hers, she rested her forehead on his. His blood red eyes and fangs did not scare her one bit. Inside this shell of a demon was the one she cared for and it was obvious that the beast in him cared for her as well. It was reassuring that she was accepted by both halves.

Inuyasha's youkai heart rejoiced when she so confidently rested her head on his. When she initially pushed away, he was afraid she was rejecting him. Her smile had said it all. She did not fear his youki half, she embraced it. She stared lovingly into his frightful eyes. Overcome with emotion, he embraced her fully. Falling back into a sitting position, he pulled her securely into his lap. Strong arms snaked around her slight frame, almost crushing her to his sturdy frame.

He eased up on his grip when his sensitive ears picked up on her giggles once more. He almost died when her hand reached up to stroke one of his ears. If he didn't have any dignity he would have been tempted to start twitching a leg in sheer pleasure. However, his moment of bliss was short lived when his keen hearing and smell caught wind of Naraku approaching stealthy from behind.

Inuyasha growled slightly before quickly standing with Kagome. He hurriedly placed her beside the taijiya and monk, before turning to face the oncoming danger. Sword drawn he stared into the fog, desperately searching for the hanous creature that was slinking towards them.

Miroku was quick to take action, again erecting a small barrier around himself and the two girls. He watched in desperation at the fog that swirled about them, hoping to catch glimpse of who was approaching. He knew before the figure ever breached the threshold of their visibility because everything in his body was telling him that it was Naraku.

“Kukuku ku!” The eerie voice chuckled from the depths of the cloaking fog. “So Inuyasha, you still think you can defeat me! You pathetic hanyou. Even in your true form you are still weak and defenseless. You didn't even notice when I snuck into you camp last night to visit my sweet Kagome. I could have taken her then, but I want you out of the way first.”

Inuyasha took a step forward towards the form that was emerging from the dense fog. The sword took on markings much like his own as a thin blue vapor began to swirl around the blade. He let out a warning growl before taking up a defensive stance.

“Honestly half breed. Do you think to scare me with you pathetic sword attacks.” Naraku was stalling, trying with all his might to mentally call out to his jewel shards. His eyes strained towards the girl, searching for the large tainted shard in her neck. Once he caught sight of them he would be able to call them back to him. He felt the pain in his chest when he saw that the girl had purified them and was currently holding the almost complete Shikon Jewel in her hand. How could it be though? That girl couldn't possibly have been able to purify that shard. She had been in a state of sorrow and anger when he had left her mind. It was true that she had been fighting his control, but he didn't actually believe she would be able to completely purify the jewel.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Kanna studied the heart that was lying in her lap, still half wrapped in the infant's blanket. It had sped up, convulsing dangerously in fear. What had Naraku gotten himself into? Why would he chance removing the jewel shard from his presence? Slightly unnerved by the hearts strange behavior, she wrapped it tightly in the blanket before restoring it to its residency in a pouch at her hip. Collecting her mirror, she stood. Mindful of the rocky terrain around her, she continued slowly in the direction of her master.

Unknown to Kanna, Kagura had been following her. She had paused to watch the young girl from behind another rock formation. What she had just witnessed had made her hopes soar. Naraku's heart was in visible distress. She had seen how it had been racing and Kanna's worried look had confirmed her theory. Naraku was in trouble. This could finally be the end of his control over her. She had passed Inuyasha's camp no more than a day ago and had come to the conclusion that they were currently crossing swords. In utter desperation to see the bane of her existence meet his end, she hurriedly followed after Kanna.

&&&&&&&&&&&
Miroku and Sango stared at the transformed fang. This new aura around it was dangerous. They had never seen the blade look that way. It had two streaks of blue coming from the base of the blade. The streaks became narrower as the reached towards the tip. A thin blue vapor was swirling around the blade, starting as a lazy circle at the base it was slowly increasing in speed.

“Miroku? Do you see that?” Sango inquired, nervously eying the blade.

“Yes. It seems the blade has taken on some of Inuyasha's youki.” Miroku replied.

“I guess it really isn't that strange if you think about it. The sword was forged from the fang of Inuyasha's father. He must have known that Inuyasha would transform, no he definitely knew. That's why he made sure that the sheath of the sword and the sword itself would keep Inuyasha's demon caged.” Sango was thinking out loud. “Inuyasha's father must have known about what would happen when Inuyasha took a mate. Perhaps the Kagome has taken up the former role of the sword, thus allowing it to reach its full potential”

Miroku was taking in what she said, but gave her a quizzical look at her last statement.

“Kagome is his shield now. The demon inside isn't fighting against Inuyasha's human half anymore. For one in his existence, Inuyasha's two halves want the same thing....Kagome. The sword no longer needs to keep the demon caged because Kagome has changed the demon within. Get it?” Sango glared at the monk who was currently looking a little daft. Judging by the perverted look that was crossing his face, she knew were his thoughts were headed.

A small gasp behind them made them remember that they were not alone. Turning, they were rewarded by a very red faced Kagome. She too had taken in all of Sango's words and the implications where finally dawning on her. Her hand quickly reached up to touch the small bruise on the other side of her neck. The bruise that Inuyasha had left on her, intentionally marking her as his. Now she was beginning to understand the full significance of what it meant to be mated. They weren't like a human husband and wife. She was bonded with him, linked in some strange manner. Images of his amber eyes in her dreams flashed through her mind. So that was it! Inuyasha's demon had been able to call out to her. The youkai side had merged with her mind and removed her from danger. Now, because of her bond with him, the his youkai was no longer a threat. The sword had realized this and had willfully transformed for the holder.

Naraku was panicking. He could sense the power being emitted from the sword and its owner. He was beginning to doubt his ability to face his opponent. The only chance he had was getting the shards before he was attacked. Inuyasha was slowly advancing upon him. He needed to stall.

“Inuyasha? Do you think that girl would honestly accept you! Face the facts half breed, no body could possibly care for a pathetic creature like yourself. Kagome would be much better suited for my use. It would be easier if you would just hand her over. Besides, once she has had a strong man like myself, she would never go back to you. How I can't wait to have her in my possession. It's not polite to make someone wait you know.” He began skirting sideways, trying to distance himself from Inuyasha, while still closing in on Kagome.

“Oh and Inuyasha, Kagome's skin... it's quite tantalizing isn't it. She did feel so good when I visited her at your camp last night!” He smirked evilly before lunging at the weakened priestess.

A snarl ripped from Inuyasha's lips as he watched Naraku begin to lunge at his mate. With lightning speed he jumped, intercepting the fiend before he could reach Kagome. The fang was drawn above his head and came crashing down, catching the unsuspecting Naraku in the head. Inuyasha roared as he pulled the sword down through the body of his enemy cutting him straight in half.

He stood, sword resting on the ground, his head dropped. The blue vapor began swirling at the base of Naraku's feet, splitting to encircle both of his split halves. It climbed in a circular pattern up the two halves until it completely surrounded its victim.

Naraku's eyes widened. He had been spliced in two. Without the shards he was unsure if his body could withstand this. The vapors that had been surrounding his body pieces began to squeeze roughly against him. He felt as if he were in a vice. The pressure against his body continued to mount.

Miroku, Sango, Kagome and the others watched in silent fascination as the blue cloud engulfed their most hated enemy. They could see that it was slowly tightening its grip on him, easily restraining any attempts of his for freedom. They watched as his eyes widened with fear before suddenly his body exploded into millions of tiny blue particles. Patiently they waited expecting his body to reform as it usually did. A few minutes passed, but the blue particles remained suspended in the air.

Inuyasha glared at the particles, half daring their former self to try to reconstruct his body. Naraku was unable to accomplish such a feet. Two jewel shards fell close to his feet, still tainted black by its owner. Kagome saw this and soon had crawled over to retrieve them. They flashed pink as her miko powers purified them. She placed them into the small container she carried with her, and dropped the large stone in on top of them. She was just standing when Inuyasha grabbed her by the waist and pushed her behind him.

She soon saw why, another body was emerging from the fog. To her surprise it was the young albino girl that worked for Naraku. The girl walked openly in front of them, seemingly completely disinterested in their being there. Her small hands reached into a pouch drawing out a bundle of cloth. Inuyasha clutched his sword as she began to unwrap the blanket.

“Oh my! It's Naraku's heart!” Kagome gasped upon realizing the contents of the bundle.

Blue particles began racing towards the heart, anxious to attempt a rebirth of their former self. Before Inuyasha could move the wind howled and another form was behind the girl. Kagura settled behind her as the winds around her calmed.

Miroku and Sango raced towards her, weapons drawn, but slowed when she did something strange. She motioned them to stop. Before the could sense her attentions they were amazed to see her grab the heart and through it in the air. In one quick movement she swung her fan at it.

“Dance of blades!” She screamed and thousands of red blades were flung at the helpless heart that was just beginning to fall towards the ground. Her attack caught the heart slicing it into tiny pieces.

Kagome and the others watched silently as the heart pieces fell to the ground, no longer beating. The tiny blue particles began to disappear, fading away. The fog too suddenly lifted, exposing them all to the rays of the morning light. A loud shattering sound drew there attention back to Naraku's two reincarnations. Kanna's mirror had shattered and souls were floating slowly towards the sky. Kagura had fallen to her knees, her hands braced on her chest right about where her heart would be. A single tear fell from her eye and she smiled at the people before her. It was Kanna who spoke next.

“I see. Naraku is dead.” Her cold monotone voice betrayed the relief she was feeling.

Miroku gazed a long time at the Naraku's former assistance. He too slumped to the ground. He noticed Sango's intent gaze as he slowly lifted his hand to his face. His palm was turned away from him and the others. Slowly he released the prayer beads that contained the swirling vortex. As the cloth dropped he closed his eyes.

Sango squealed in delight before tackling the monk completely to the ground. She lay there on top of him and wept in happiness. It was over. Finally it was over. Strong arms reached up from under her to wrap her in an embrace. They lay there oblivious to the others stares. Content to hold one another and weep.

“Kagome?”

Kagome turned from watching her two friends embrace. She wiped the tears from her eyes to smile up at Inuyasha. Sensing that the danger was gone, the youkia had relinquished his grip on the body and allowed Inuyasha to regain control. His eyes were back to being that amazing shade of amber.

“What is it Inuyasha?” She smiled at the now seemingly saddened hanyou.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't stop Naraku before he hurt you.” he pinned his ears to his head in defeat. Appalled at his inability to sense the enemy in their own came.

“I'm not!” Kagome replied, trying not to giggle as his head snapped up like an attentive puppy. “If Naraku wouldn't have put the shard in me, he would probably still be alive. The little pain and suffering I went through was nothing compared to our accomplishment. Naraku is gone. Miroku's hand is cured. We can finally stop this fighting and get on with our lives.”

Smiling he wrapped an arm around her. He watched as Kanna and Kagura left. He wouldn't go after him. They were of no threat to any of them now. The relief and excitement of their freedom was evident on both their faces. Naraku wouldn't be able to make them suffer anymore either.

CRACK

“You Pervert! You just had to wreck a wonderful moment didn't you!” Sango yelled.

Kagome and Inuyasha watched as Miroku rubbed his reddened check, the hand print still evident.

“But Sango my love, I thought you wouldn't mind this time. I mean you were sprawled out on top of me!” His eyes danced in a mischievous way.

To their surprise, Sango just blushed and smiled at him innocently, before allowing him to help her to her feet. They were even more astonished when she did not release his hand upon standing. His excitement by the latest development was not hidden in the least on his face. He soon wrapped an arm cautiously around her wait, relishing the moment when she snuggled in closer.

Soon the group had gathered their meager belongings from their camp and were preparing to head back to Kaede's village. Miroku was extinguishing the camp fire when two white objects caught his attention. He stopped what he was doing to pick the objects up. They were two paper dolls.

“Inuyasha! Come look at this!” He called out to their leader.

“Paper dolls. Feh! I knew they were an illusion.” He smirked

“Illusion?” Kagome asked

“While you were possessed by the jewel shards, we were attacked by whom we thought were Kikyo and Kouga. Inuyasha cut them down with no hesitation when he was in his demon form.” Sango supplied some information for Kagome's benefit.

“You mean he just killed them without any second thoughts?” Kagome glared slightly at her mate, angered at his actions.

“Feh! Like I said, I knew they were illusions. They didn't smell quite right! Kouga wasn't near smelly enough. Kikyo didn't even smell like her grave soil.” Inuyasha continued when his mates features softened.

“Besides” he whispered for only her ears to hear. “When it comes to you Kagome, I don't care who I have to kill to protect you!”

Kagome let out a small gasp as the meaning to those words sunk in. She squealed when he did the unthinkable, pulling a page from Miroku's handbook. He walked by her and gave her a large slap on the ass. His actions brought an approving smirk to Miroku's face and an shocked look to both Sango and Kagome's.

Walking ahead of them, he looked back, still smirking at the apparent shock that hadn't left the girls faces.

“Feh! I'm not gonna wait all day ya know! I'm hungry! Let's hurry up and get back to the village!” he growled out his demands before turning to start walking. Shippo had scurried up on his shoulder to chatter away to his new hero. Miroku had fell into a matching step beside him.

Sango and Kagome finally snapped out of their daze. Grabbing their belongings, the quickly hurried after their men, huge smiles on both their face. Today was the day that they would get on with their lives. Kagome's thoughts were on her future with Inuyasha and what they would do with the Shikon Jewel. Sango was planning her trip to locate Kohoku and planning her life with a certain lecherous monk.

The sun glowed warmly in the vibrant sky on the group as the trekked happily back to camp. Though their fight with Naraku was over, their adventure was anything but!