InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Such A Foolish Thing ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: All characters are being used without permission. No money is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.

A/N: Takes place during episode 165, told from Sesshoumaru’s point of view. Part 2 of 2.



Memory never properly records the details of a fight. It’s just a hazy mixture of stinging metal, clashing lights, crackling energy, and growling rage. Adrenaline floods through the body and the inner beast surges to life, tossing aside all sanity and conscience thought in favor of natures more primal warfare.

Sesshoumaru was vaguely aware that he had fought the monks, he was also aware that he had won. Any details beyond those two facts were lost to him. He needed no details anyway, the two things he knew where the only two that mattered. He had fought, and he had won.

As the proverbial dust settled, and Sesshoumaru wrestled the inner beast back into dormancy, he slowly became more aware of his surroundings.

He was now standing in a field, with Rin at his side and Jaken in front of him, squawking about some unimportant matter or another. He paid the annoying little beast no mind as he attempting to piece together the missing events that led him from the confrontation with the monks to this point. His still fuzzy mind was having trouble grasping those lost memories, apparently they were gone for good. No matter. He supposed if anything of importance happened, he would hear about it later.

Abandoning that dead end line of thought, Sesshoumaru reached for another and noted there was a presence missing from this scene. A rather large, flying presence. The name of this missing factor was dancing just out of his reach, but he was sure that there was indeed something missing. He addressed Jaken with this concern, “Where’s Ah-Un?”

Ah-Un, of course, that was the missing thing’s name. Odd how the words escape you until you open your mouth, then they suddenly appear.

More squawking and Jaken scrambled off to find the wayward Ah-Un. He heard Rin let loose a giggle, then scamper off to the right somewhere. Or it could have been the left, Sesshoumaru wasn’t too sure about things like direction at this point, his thoughts were still a bit muddled. His vision and hearing appeared to be mostly returned, so he was fairly confident that it was indeed to the right that Rin had gone.

“Hey, Sesshoumaru-sama!” Rin called.

Resisting the urge to tilt his head to the side and shake the metaphorical water from his ears, for that is what this battle induced haze felt like, Sesshoumaru replied absentmindly. “What is it?”

There was a slight pause as Rin contemplated her next words. In this moment the last residue of Sesshoumaru’s rage left him and his thoughts and senses returned to their normal fluid clarity. And if they hadn’t, Rin’s next question would have been enough to snap him out of even the deepest blood lust.

“If… Rin should ever die, would you please not forget about me?”

Sesshoumaru’s eyes widen and his breath stopped. Die?

Die. A word that has so often passed from his lips, but has only rarely ever crossed his mind. Dying was something his enemies did, something he himself brought upon them. Dying was messy and painful, not something he wanted to associate with Rin. Once already he had found her bloodied and lifeless body lying on the forest floor, he didn’t want to encounter that again.

Perhaps that was the event she was reliving while tracing over the unmarked gravestone. Perhaps the memory of dying scared and alone brought about this new and unexpected question. She knew death better than most, knew the smell, the feel; knew the all encompassing fear of absolute oblivion. She knew from experience what it felt like to take your last breath knowing that you won’t be missed, that once you cease to live, you cease to be. Everything you said and did in this life was for naught, because the world will continue on as if you never were.

Now here she was, this little human girl, in her second chance, asking for his reassurance that when her bones were nothing more than dust, she would still live on in his memory.

What was he to tell her? It was such a heavy promise to make, to grant another immortality through yourself. He gave her life, but could he give her eternity? Such a promise…Would he remember her?

Was there ever any doubt?

Sesshoumaru turned away from the girl and faced the horizon. He would remember. He would immortalize her, dip her memory in bronze and keep it forever in his grasp; never letting it slip, never letting it fade. Never forgetting. After all, he gave her life, how could he not see it lived and loved?

“Such a foolish thing.”