InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Summer Plans ❯ Sample of Freedom ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Stop it! I know, I know! I don't own InuYasha! Stop rubbing it in!


Chapter 3:

A young girl walked through the dark hallways of the castle. She never questioned her master's motives, why would she? She was him. What was the point of ending up like her younger sister? Why would she want to be under constant observation? The young demon girl could never understand Kagura. What was the point of gaining freedom if you died before you could enjoy it? Kanna slowly made her way to Naraku's private room. There he sat, like he usually did, alone in the dark. He was always staring out a window, even though Kanna doubted he could see past his wall of miasma. She never questioned him though. Even though she hated to admit to her feelings, she would admit that she feared the dark lord. He could squash her life like an ant. She couldn't help to compare him to a god. Wasn't a god capable of the same thing? Though Kanna wouldn't compare him to a god in any other aspect, she would compare his power to another godly demon. Sesshomaru. That was why she was summoned once again.

"Kanna, show him to me."

With that command, I show him the man he wishes to watch. Why he wants to "observe" this magnificent figure is beyond me. My emotions are always in turmoil. This is wrong. I am the void. I'm not suppose to feel any emotions, but ever since the last fight Naraku had with Sesshomaru I have been confused. Somehow my emotions awoke. It must have been because I was watching Sesshomaru so closely. He, a being that never shows emotion, was giving it off in waves. I never thought it possible for someone such as him to give off such waves all for a small human girl. That was when the lid on the can of my emotions was lifted. I still show no signs of inner battles to Naraku. I don't know what he'd do to me and I don't wish to consider the possibilities. I can't help but ask Naraku of his plans. He will answer me. He still believes me trustworthy.

"Naraku," Even to my own ears my voice sounds dead. It unnerves me to no end. "Why do you wish to watch him?"

"Kanna, I have a new plan to ensnare Sesshomaru. His demonic power will greatly help my newest body, but before I set my plan into motion I must pay a little visit to InuYasha."

"..." I cannot begin to fathom Naraku's mind and I truly do not want to.

"Kanna go and check on your new brother, Daisuke.*"

"My brother?"

"Yes. I want you to lead him to InuYasha and Kagome. I want him to capture InuYasha and bring him here alive and as unharmed as possible, understand?"

"Yes Master Naraku." And I leave him again. Sometimes I wonder if do these things for Naraku is truly my destiny. Am I living up to my full potential? Somehow I made my way into the gardens.

"Well, well I never thought I'd see the day when you discovered the need for freedom."

I look behind me and there she stand with her hand on her fan. She always as one arm out of her outer kimmono when she is in the castle. I never thought I would want to hear Kagura's voice as badly as I did just then.

"Is that what I desire?"

"Kanna, can't you feel it in your chest? The place where your heart should be, doesn't it ache?"

"Is that what this feeling is?"

"Kanna, I know Naraku is planning something against Sesshomaru. He and InuYasha are our last hopes. Follow through with Naraku's plans. I will warn them. I ask nothing of you except to keep Naraku out of the loop. Don't tell him what I do. That is all I ask."

"And what if he catches you?"

"Then I will take the blame. Kanna it is best if at least one of us escapes Naraku's grasp. You have a better chance, so watch yourself and do as he says. Leave the rest to me."

After Kagura stops speaking she turns and leaves me alone. I feel my eyes burn and something wet slide down my cheek. I place two fingers on my cheek and realize I'm crying. Crying? Me? Is this really happening? Am I sad? No, I am not sad. These are what humans must mean by "tears of joy."

I turn to leave and gasp as I see the sunset for the first time. Sure I've seen the sun set before, but I had never seen a sunset. It was one of the most wonderful sights I had ever seen before. For a fleating moment I felt a small sense of freedom. That small moment seemed to last forever and yet ended too soon. This made me crave something I had never craved before, freedom. Is this how Kagura felt when she stared up at the stars? Did she feel a sense of freedom yet also a sense of lonliness? Did she feel happy yet sad at the same time? Before today I never realized you could feel emotions that were complete opposites of each other at the same time. It is an amazing feeling to be able to describe the way you feel.

Now I realize. No matter whose control I'm under, I still have this power. The power to describe my emotions. That is something I never will allow Naraku to take away from me.


*Means "great help." I thought this name would suit Naraku's purposes for making this "child."

A/N: I wanted to show the relationship between Kagura and Kanna and how it's about to change. When Kanna's talking about the sun she means that she had seen the sun go down, but had never noticed the beauty that the sun creates as it sets.