InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It is a wise father that knows his own child. ~ William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
 
 
A certain silver-haired half demon paced restlessly outside the birthing room he was forbidden to enter. The sound of his footfalls echoed loudly in his sensitive ears but could not drown out the moans and cries from the other side of the door. Each time she cried out, the delicate white triangles atop his head twitched and a deep growl resonated throughout his chest.
 
 
Sickening anxiety had turned his stomach into a hopeless tangle of knots; it could be read plainly on his face. He glowered irritably at anyone and everyone who attempted to get close, refusing to speak or even eat. How could he possibly do either when she was suffering like that? Inside the sleeves of his red haori the clawed fists that clenched at the sounds from the room just beyond his reach remained hidden.
 
 
It was sheer torture to hear her crying out like that, against the birthing pains that ripped through her body, when he knew there was nothing he could do for her. Kaede assured him that she would be fine and it was natural for every woman to go through such pain, but her soothing words did little to ease his mind or his stomach.
 
 
A secret guilt lingered there, sitting like a brick in his gut, as he turned the various scenarios over in his mind. If the child was his, he was the source of Kagome's current pain and all the rest she would endure as a result. If the child was Sesshomaru's he would have gained nothing by telling her the truth, but at least she'd be safe and….happy.
 
 
Inuyasha's mouth turned down into a tiny frown at that thought and his dark brows drew low over his eyes. All he'd ever wanted was for Kagome to be happy and having Sesshomaru's child would make her so. The knowledge that she didn't want didn't want it to be his burned a hole in his heart, like a cancer rotting him from the inside out. Even still, a part of him desperately clung to the hope that the child was his. He knew the pain it would cause her, knew it would rip her family apart, and yet he couldn't stop himself from hoping. Secretly he prayed, he begged, he wanted…no…needed Kagome's child to be his…to be theirs.
 
 
His heart swelled at the thought of holding that tiny baby in his arms, just as he'd held Ronin on the day he was born. He envisioned dipping his head and breathing in the intoxicating yet subtle nuances of their scents entwined. He imagined that this new life could fill the void left by the one they'd lost so long ago. How different would things be if their child had survived?
 
 
Shaking his head from side to side Inuyasha withdrew himself from his thoughts. He had denied himself the luxury of hope for so long and now it was slowly creeping up on him again. With a frustrated snarl he withdrew his hands from the depths of his sleeves and swiftly punched the wall. The thick stone cracked beneath his hand but did not break. He stared at the fissures thoughtfully for a moment before replacing his hand with his forehead. Closing his eyes he breathed deeply and allowed the cool stone to soothe him. Where the hell is Sesshomaru?
 
 
Though he wasn't looking forward a confrontation, he knew that for Kagome's sake his bastard of a half-brother needed to show up soon. He'd been off on the front lines again, in yet another battle with the rival tribes. It seemed like all he ever did was fight wars, yet Kagome remained dutifully at his side and he seemed grateful for her support. Whenever he returned battle weary after a lengthy excursion all it took was one look from her and he was filled with life once more. He still remembered what it felt like. At one time he'd been the one on the receiving end of that smile. Her champion. Her protector. What could he call himself now but useless?
 
 
When Kagome had gone into labour in the early hours of the morning a messenger was sent immediately to the front lines to retrieve Sesshomaru. It was nearly nightfall and he had yet to show himself, a fact which irritated him to no end. Stupid bastard. Kagome's in labour and he can't take a few hours away from a battle to make sure she's okay? He shot a scathing glare at the empty staircase, daring him to appear.
 
 
Another cry from inside, this one louder than the others, sent the half demon's heart racing. Though he'd tried not to think about it, he remembered all too clearly Akira's prediction for Kagome. After this child was born she would die. Swallowing hard he realized how dry his mouth had become and hurriedly attempted to swallow again to lubricate it. His amber eyes grew large and soft as he leaned up against the stone wall allowing the reality of the situation to fully sink in.
 
 
In a few hours Kagome could be dead. That thought alone was enough to halt every other one that'd been racing through his mind. Without his even realizing it, his body slid to the floor in stunned silence; it joined his stomach which had long since settled there. Looking down, he noticed that his hands were shaking and pressed his palms flat against the wooden floorboards in an effort to make the tremors stop.
 
 
For all of his half demon strength and abilities, he was completely useless at the moment. He couldn't help her, he couldn't save her. Breathing became hard as he realized that there would be no second chances this time. If Kagome was fated to die on this day then it would happen regardless of what they tried to do to stop it. No matter how much he wished it weren't true, he understood more clearly than most that fate wasn't something you could avoid.
 
 
When Akira told Kagome her future, she'd accepted it, without hesitation, without regret. She'd explained to him later on that death was simply another part of life, but he knew it wouldn't be so easy for him to accept it. He'd spent nearly a decade defending her, protecting her, loving her. Her life was slowly slipping through his fingers like sand and he didn't know how to stop it.
 
 
Thumping his head against the wall, Inuyasha ran his claws through his thick mane of silver hair and knotted them together at the back of his skull. Nose twitching, he looked up to find his half-brother eyeing him regally from the top of the stairs. Their eyes connected for a brief moment, molten gold blazing into fiery amber, and for the first time Inuyasha read fear behind Sesshomaru's gaze. In an instant it was gone, replaced once more by a cool, impassive glare.
 
 
Though he'd hidden it almost instantly, Inuyasha had seen weakness in his brother's eyes. It was hard for him to admit, even to himself, but he realized in that moment that in this they were equals. Knowing that Kagome was suffering wasn't easy on either of them. As much as he hated it, Sesshomaru did love Kagome. He treated her better than he'd ever imagined possible, he respected her, made her happy, and took care of her. He was everything a mate should be and more. Seeing his clenched fist hidden amongst the folds of his kimono only confirmed what Inuyasha already knew - the waiting was killing him too.
 
 
Hearing a moan from inside, the demon lord's mouth tightened and he hastily took up pacing where his brother had left off, his footsteps echoing softly in the tense silence. Time seemed to stand still for the brothers as they waited impatiently for news about the woman they both loved.
 
 
It was well past midnight when Kaede emerged from the room looking worn out. Wisps of grey hair that'd fallen out of her bun hung loosely around her face, but her expression was filled with warm relief. Wiping her clean hands dry on the apron at her waist she looked warmly up at Sesshomaru. She nodded her head in a subtle gesture to let him know it was finally alright for him to enter. Before she could even lift her gaze he was inside, the door closed firmly behind him.
 
 
Inuyasha let out a heavy sigh of relief and closed his eyes briefly. If Kaede looked this calm it only meant one thing - Kagome was okay. She wasn't dead, she wasn't dying, she was actually just okay. A tiny smile tugged at the corner of his lips but faded once he realized that Akira had never said she died in child birth, just that she died shortly after giving birth. Damn!
 
 
“It is okay Inuyasha, Kagome will be fine,” Kaede said soothingly as she stepped closer to him. Her forehead frowned when she noticed the tension in the hanyou's body and the look of concern clearly written across his features. His bowed head didn't lift when she spoke though she knew he heard every word. When he finally did look up, she caught a glimpse of the turbulent emotions in his eyes before they dropped once more to the floor.
 
 
A shiver ran though his body at the smell of blood that came off of her. She'd obviously changed her apron and washed her hands, but that hadn't removed the stench of Kagome's blood that clung to her like a second skin. His body was rigid with tension and he found himself unable to move, as if he were one of the eloquent ice sculptures Kagome had shown him in her world.
 
 
It was difficult to feel anything but numb as he waited for news from inside the birthing room. If the child wasn't Sesshomaru's he would know immediately. If that was the case then it wouldn't be long before he'd have to face the consequences. The thought of their impending demise hung over him like a dark cloud and kept him from rejoicing in Kagome's good health, regardless of how temporary it might be.
 
 
Believing that the half demon boy wouldn't be consoled until he saw the girl for himself, Kaede rested her hand gently atop his silver head. As she soothingly rubbed a spot behind one of his ears she looked down tenderly at the hanyou she had come to think of as a son. She'd taken care of him and the others for so long, it seemed only natural that she'd come to think of them all as her children.
 
 
For many years she'd mourned the fact that she'd never had a family of her own, but the presence of Inuyasha and the others made life interesting and she was grateful to them for it. She was proud to see how they'd each grown and matured under her watchful eye, particularly Inuyasha. He'd been so unruly and bitter when they'd first met, but now there was gentleness about him. He was trusting, loyal and the girl had taught him what it was to love once more.
 
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes and tilted his head against her hand as some of the tension in his neck and shoulders ebbed away. Kaede smiled faintly at his movements, knowing that he did them unconsciously, and quickly halted her ministrations. He looked up at her curiously, his amber eyes dark, brooding, and surprisingly raw. He was scared. It was clear from the look on his face that he'd momentarily dropped his mask of hostility and gruffness. But what was he so scared of? Her wrinkled brow furrowed as she studied him, trying to discern answers to questions she would not voice because he would not answer them.
 
 
The moment of tense silence between them was interrupted abruptly by a door opening at the end of the hall. They looked up in unison as Sesshomaru emerged from the birthing room, his hand resting against the wooden frame of the door. He stared hard at the floor in tense silence before looking down the hall at them. Kaede shuffled back uneasily. His eyes were not the beautiful cool amber she'd become accustomed to, but a brilliant, raging, red inferno. His enraged gazed fixed solely on Inuyasha, who gulped audibly.
 
 
The old priestess' eye shifted between the brothers and she took a few cautionary steps backwards as Sesshomaru drew closer. She watched, transfixed, as the acid green hue enveloped his claws. Tiny corrosive teardrops slipped off the ends of his fingertips to sizzle against the floor. Her eyes widened and her mouth hung open in shock as she pieced together the puzzle that had eluded her until that moment. She looked down at Inuyasha horrified. She understood perfectly now the cause of the fear she'd read behind his eyes.
 
 
In the time it took her to take a single breath, the Lord of the West had closed the distance between them and snagged Inuyasha in his grasp. He held the hanyou's body pinned against the wall and let the acid of his claws sizzle against the tender skin of his neck. Inuyasha grimaced and groaned against the searing pain while trying unsuccessfully to pry his brother's claws from his throat.
 
 
Sesshomaru jerked him roughly forward, his hand tightening around his brother's neck like a noose. With calculated movements he brought their faces within inches of each another. The vengeance burning in his eyes was deadly enough to peel the flesh off a corpse. In a voice so low and menacing it sounded more animal than man, he spoke the last words he would ever say to the half-brother he'd spent a lifetime detesting:
 
 
“This ends. NOW.”