InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Just give me ten minutes!” Kagome's called from inside her closet. Random shoes and long forgotten sweaters came hurtling out into the middle of her room amidst muffled lamentations of "I know it's in here somewhere…"
 
Inuyasha sighed impassively and stuffed his hands inside his sleeves. He meandered over to the center of the room and glanced down at the steadily accumulating pile of clothes and other forgotten items on the floor. Why did she need so much stuff anyway? He tilted his head to examine the cover of an outdated issue of Tiger Beat magazine.
 
"What's a Backstreet Boy?" he wondered quietly and poked at the magazine with his toe. A Doc Martin circa 1996 came sailing out of the closet and nearly caught him between the eyes. He caught it swiftly in his claws and growled out his frustration.
 
“Kagome!” he barked. “Watch what you're doing! You nearly clocked me with this thing!” Still on her hands and knees, she peered over her shoulder and her eyes widened with surprise.
 
“Oops! Sorry! Just stand a little further back and you should be fine.” She dismissed his rolling eyes without so much as a second thought and crawled deeper into the closet. It has to be here somewhere…I know I left it in here last time we
 
Despite his grousing, he took her advice and shifted a few steps out of range. Looking down at the shoe held tightly in his claws he resisted the urge to sniff it before tossing it atop the pile of her personal belongings. Why she had to look for that damn yellow bag was beyond him. He had no intention of being gone that long…this was a strictly in and out business.
 
His mouth curved into a troubled frown as he turned towards the window. Akira was late. That damn half demon was more of an inconvenience than anything. If it weren't for Kagome's desire to save Sesshomaru and his own need to make amends for screwing everything up, he would've thrown in the towel and beat the kid to a pulp ages ago.
 
“Aha! I found it!” came Kagome's triumphant cry from the inner recesses of her closet. She shimmied backwards out of her closet, dragging the large, yellow (and now fairly dusty) backpack she'd worn during their jewel shard hunting days behind her. Inuyasha tried to maintain his impassive facade but the look of complete happiness that'd returned to her face forced the corners of his mouth up into a reluctant smile. It was good to see her smiling again. After what she'd been through he was surprised she had the strength to be positive at all. 
 
Standing up, Kagome brushed the dust bunnies off of her demon slaying outfit and the backpack. Setting it open on the bed she began to shove as much as possible inside.
 
Inuyasha watched her in silence for a moment before his eyes drifted to the shelf above her desk. Stacked in neat, dusty piles atop it were the mountains of school textbooks she used to lug around with her. Even then she'd always been so damn determined. It didn't matter how many times they'd tried to persuade her to give up on school, she still went anyway. He hadn't made it easy for her either, always harping on her anytime she asked to go back. It seemed strange now to see those books that'd once been so important to her completely forgotten.
 
“Have you ever thought about bringing your old books back? You know…to teach Ronin all that Math and English stuff you learned about in school?” He asked without thinking.
 
Kagome paused. Her hand, holding a green apple scented shampoo bottle, hovered just above the opening of her knapsack. Her fingers tightened around it and she stared unseeingly into the bag. Inuyasha's ears flattened and the inquisitive expression on his face fell when he realized what he'd said. Before he could open his mouth to apologize she snapped back into motion. The shampoo was shoved quickly into the knapsack and she responded to his question with a curt “no.”
 
Damn it! Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut?
 
With a tiny grunt of effort, the leather clad priestess closed the bag and quickly glanced around her room to see if she'd missed anything. Catching sight of the silver locket Akira had given her, she quickly scooped it up off her desk and clasped it around her neck.
 
“How long do you think we should wait?” she asked noncommittally as she tilted her head in Inuyasha's direction. He shrugged and turned away from the window to fix her with a troubled look.
 
“I dunno, but I don't wanna sit around forever.”
 
Kagome nodded in agreement and flopped down onto her bed with a sigh. Pressing her palms together, she tucked her hands between her thighs and stared thoughtfully out the window. This wasn't going to be an easy mission, and in her heart she already knew how it would end, but she was anxious to get going nonetheless. She worried that if they dawdled too long she would lose her resolve and become completely useless. She turned away from the window and looked towards Inuyasha to find him already staring at her.
 
A long moment of silence passed between the pair. It wasn't an awkward silence, more a sense of complete understanding, one that required no words to be said at all. Kagome gave him a reassuring smile, one that seemed to suggest she knew the answer to some hidden secret. He opened his mouth to say something to fill the void but paused. What the hell could he say? That he was sorry for the hundred millionth time? Or maybe the truth…that deep down he wasn't sorry at all? That he still loved her even though he knew that there would never be a place or time when they could be together? That he was scared she was going to die on their mission, leaving him all alone in a world that had only shown him hardship, distrust and hatred?
 
He quickly closed his jaw shut with a snap, and in the end said nothing. Even though his heart was overflowing with questions he wanted answered and things he wanted to say, he didn't have the strength to utter a single word. He turned his gaze away from her, embarrassed by his own weakness. He actually breathed an inward sigh of relief when Akira bounded through the open window seconds later to break the silence.
 
Landing on the carpet, crouched down low, Akira resembled a graceful jungle cat preparing to attack its prey. Exuding a similar poise and grace to that of said cat, he slowly stood up and regarded Kagome with a warm smile, completely ignoring Inuyasha.
 
“Ah, Lady Kagome. It's a pleasure to see you looking so well. So you've decided it's time to complete the mission?” Kagome nodded her head once, her eyes shining with determination. Any response she'd been ready to make was interrupted by Inuyasha's indignant snort from his newly acquired seat atop her desk.
 
“Why the hell else do you think we're here? Now give us the damn sheath so we can get going!” he demanded and extended one clawed hand from the depths of his sleeves expectantly. Akira sneered down at the open palm, turned his back on it and purposefully placed the relic in Kagome's hands. She tried to hide her smile when she saw Inuyasha's indignant expression. He lifted his claws with a wicked gleam in his eyes to strike the half demon down, but upon seeing her subtle headshake he backed off. He stuffed his claws back into his sleeves and cast a murderous glare at the back of Akira's head instead.
 
“I want to remind you of a couple of things,” the half-demon began slowly as he eased himself onto Kagome's squeaky office chair. Though he feigned indifference, Inuyasha kept his ears tuned to what the demon was saying. If any of it could help him keep Kagome out of danger, then it was worth listening to.
 
“That sheath is going to lead you to the sword." Kagome nodded and smiled briefly. "That's the easy part." Her face fell. 
 
"Don't pay attention to anything else that's going on in whatever time you end up in. Just focus on the sword and you'll find it sooner or later. Last time you went back Sesshomaru already had it. If that's the case you're going to need to find a way to take it from him, understand?”
 
Kagome nodded hesitantly and worried her bottom lip between her teeth. Steal the sword from Sesshomaru? It would be practically impossible! He kept his swords with him at all times unless he was sleeping and even then they were always within arms reach. She groaned inwardly. Their mission already seemed doomed to fail and they hadn't even started!
 
Akira continued on, his expression softening at the crestfallen look on her face. “Now, once you have the sword, use that necklace I gave you to find me. If he can't smell me already,” he said as he tilted his head in Inuyasha's general direction, “then hone in on your abilities as a priestess to try and sense me. I know you can do it.”
 
 
Again, Kagome nodded hesitantly and wondered just how the hell she was supposed to do something she'd never done before or even attempted to do. Realizing Akira had been right about everything else so far though, she decided to trust him and go with it. “Okay, what next?”
 
“Once you find me, give me the sword and I'll destroy it. I don't think either of you has the power or speed necessary to do it before Sesshomaru catches on to you.”
 
Inuyasha's brows knit together at this comment and he pushed his body off the desk. “Why the sudden change of plans? Last time you said that we should destroy it ourselves.” He regarded Akira with a sceptical glare, obviously suspicious of his intentions.
 
“Why do you always make me repeat myself? Like I said before, you two don't have the speed, strength or power to destroy it. Sesshomaru will eventually catch up with you and what do you think he'll do? He'll cut you to pieces. Do you really want to put Kagome's life in danger unnecessarily? Just give me the sword and let me deal with destroying it!”
 
Inuyasha made no further comment. He pressed his lips together in a deep frown and his eyes told Kagome that he wasn't convinced. Feeling torn between the two, Kagome gazed down at the sheath in her hands and slowly tightened her fingers around it. Did it matter who destroyed it as long as it was gone? Looking up she caught Inuyasha's eye. He shook his head `no' and scowled when she broke his gaze to look at Akira. His azure eyes were open and warm and reminded her of the star filled skies she used to admire during her many nights camped out beneath their endless twinkling canopy. Her heart told her to trust him…so she listened.
 
“Okay," she conceded. "We'll give you the sword once we find it.”
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha interjected angrily but she cut him off with a glare.
 
“It's decided. Discussion over.” Her tone was harsh and effectively silenced the half demon's tongue. He couldn't argue when she spoke to him like that. Her eyes alone made his insides shrivel up and turn to dust.
 
Seeing his reluctant submission, Kagome's face warmed and she looked once more to Akira with smiling eyes. “Is that all?” she inquired sweetly and when he nodded she jumped up and eased her bag onto her shoulders. After shifting it around to re-adjusted the weight she headed to the window. It took a few tentative movements to ease her body out onto the ladder propped up against the side of the house. Once her footing was secure she looked up to find both Akira and Inuyasha watching her.
 
“You coming?”
 
Her eyebrows rose delicately into her hairline and her smile appeared sweet but Inuyasha could tell from her tone that she was still feeling testy. Deciding that it would be best not to piss her off before heading out on a dangerous mission together, he huffed a defeated sigh and stepped to the window. He crouched easily on the window will in preparation for his leap to the ground.
 
“Hey!” Akira's voice pulled him back into the room and he looked expectantly over his shoulder. The half demon stood awkwardly in the centre of the room with his arms folded across his chest. “Take good care of her.”
 
Inuyasha snorted and fixed Akira with a dark look. “I always do.” His answer was laced with his usual arrogant confidence and without a look back he leapt out the window and into the night, leaving the modern world behind him.
 
Akira stepped over to the window and rested his hands gently against the sill. His dark eyes followed the pair as they covertly cross the yard under the camouflage of shadows and disappeared into the shrine that housed the well. A fleeting smile crossed his lips in that moment but it was gone just as quickly and he along with it, leaving the room empty and haunted once more.
 
 
oOo
 
Kagome and Inuyasha crouched hidden amidst the trees on the outskirts of the palace gardens. They looked up at the structure looming ahead of them with grim faces.
 
“Now what?” Inuyasha demanded, his voice gruff with irritation.
 
Kagome pursed her lips and kept her large brown eyes trained on the palace as she thought out a plan. The fuzzy white ears atop Inuyasha's head twitched subconsciously as he listened for signs of guards or other unwanted guests approaching but the only noise came from the crickets chirping in the grass at their feet.
 
Easing her bag to the ground, Kagome reached inside and pulled out a black silk scarf. Bowing her head she quickly tied it around the lower half of her face and gathered her hair into a hasty ponytail. “I think I have an idea,” she explained, her voice muffled through the scarf.
 
Inuyasha regarded her quizzically and waited for her to go on. When she didn't immediately divulge her plans he prodded her with a swift elbow to the ribs.
 
“Ouch!” She hissed in an angry whisper. Her dark eyes narrowed at him as she rubbed at her side. “You're so impatient sometimes!”
 
He shrugged noncommittally and fixed his gaze on the shadows ahead. “So what's the great and wonderful plan?”
 
Kagome thrummed her fingers nervously against her thigh and slowly shook her head back and forth. “It doesn't matter. I don't want to go into details just yet. I need you to wait here, watch my bag and stay out of sight. We don't know what time period we're in yet so it could mean big trouble if you get caught. For all we know you could already be dead.”
 
The half demon rolled his eyes and testily crossed his arms in front of his chest. He didn't like the idea of being left behind or her going off alone unprotected. “Oh like that matters! For all we know you're dead in this time too. You can't go in there alone!”
 
Kagome huffed an irritated sigh and shot him a frustrated look. “Why do you always have to be so difficult? I lived at this palace for years. I know all the weak points and I know exactly where I'm going. Please, just wait here for me to come back.”
 
He opened his mouth to lash out at her with another snappy retort but she waved her index finger tauntingly in his face. “If you don't I'll be forced to S-I-T you and I'm sure you don't want that.” 
 
His eyes narrowed into tiny slits and he actually growled at her. “You bitch. You wouldn't.”
 
“Try me,” she dared him, her eyes flashing dangerously.
 
That look only meant one thing, she meant business. Deciding quickly that he didn't want to have another personal encounter with the ground Inuyasha grumbled moodily and turned away from her in reluctant defeat. Kagome smiled smugly behind her mask and silently thanked the gods for that seemingly innocuous string of beads around his neck.
 
“Alright, I'm off. Stay out of trouble.”
 
“Kagome.”
 
The sound of his voice made her pause and she turned to look back at him over her shoulder. He sat perched in the upper branches of the tree they'd been crouching under. She hadn't even heard him leave the ground. He looked down at her with dark eyes and she could tell he was worried. It was written all over his face but she knew he'd never actually say anything out loud. It wasn't his way.
 
Realizing he'd been staring at her for too long he looked away embarrassed, a light blush colouring his cheeks. “Just be careful. I don't wanna have to go in there to save your ass understand?” Kagome smiled behind her mask and the light reached her eyes. She nodded before turning and taking off through the dense underbrush towards the palace.
 
Inuyasha watched her go and couldn't keep the uneasiness from settling heavily in his chest. He knew she was trained, he knew she could do this, but it didn't keep him for worrying. If something were to happen to her he'd have no way of knowing. Lashing out in frustration he punched the trunk of the tree sending a light flutter of broad leafy greens down to carpet the forest floor. He felt like a coward hiding up in the branches like some scared cat but it couldn't be helped. This was something Kagome had to do on her own. As much as he wanted to leap out of the tree and follow her, sit commands be damned, he remained rooted to the spot.
 
You'd better not get hurt you crazy wench.
 
oOo
 
Kagome pulled herself stealthily up the vines decorating the palace's stone walls and made her way towards the window of one of the many guest bedrooms. Well this brings back some interesting memories, she reflected as she hurtled herself over the window sill to land with a soft thud atop the tatami-matted floor. It felt like decades had passed since she'd been a guest in one of these rooms.
 
Her ears hummed in the dark room and her eyes scanned the shadows for any unwanted guests. Sensing nothing amiss, she crept silently across the floor towards the door. If she was right, Sesshomaru's room wasn't too far off. As long as she was quiet about it she might even be able to sneak in and get out without anyone noticing.
 
With that promising thought in her head she reached for the sliding door but stopped at the sound of a familiar clicking sound from behind her. An icy chill raced up her spine and she let her breath out in a quiet shudder. A cold sweat broke out instantly along her brow as she felt the unforgiving point of a sword nestle itself between her shoulder blades.
 
Slowly, she raised her hands and pressed them against the door to show that she was submitting to whomever it was that'd caught her in the hopes that they wouldn't to skewer her. The blade lowered slightly but she knew it still hovered close by, ready to pierce her should she try to run.
 
A deep masculine voice washed over her and made her throat close up, choking off her air. “Turn around…slowly," it demanded. "Then you can tell me just who the hell you are and what you think you're doing here.” 
 
His tone betrayed all the haughtiness and authority of noble birth. Kagome panted softly. Her heart raced inside her chest, thrumming away a mile a minute, and the mask covering her face suddenly felt like it was slowly suffocating her.
 
Obliging her captor's request she turned slowly, her arms still raised, to face him. The moment their eyes met his golden orbs pierced through her like a hot blade. Letting out a surprised gasp she fell back against the door, her legs trembling beneath her.
 
Oh kami…anyone but him!