InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 25 ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha and Kagome's darkened figures slipped in and out of the shadows along the deserted hallways of the palace. Kagome's black attire made her appear one with the wall as she pressed her back into every darkened crevice but Inuyasha's red haori stood out like a roaming beacon. Kagome's heart quickened as they hurried down the well worn path she'd taken every night towards Sesshomaru's chambers. There were so many happy memories within these halls that it made her throat close up tight just thinking about them. She swallowed hard and pushed the sounds of laughter and the smiling faces of Ronin, Rin and Sesshomaru out of her mind. This was no time to be weak. There was plenty of time to cry over what could have been once their mission was complete.
 
 
At the junction where the hall they were traversing along and the one leading to Sesshomaru's quarters met, Inuyasha froze in place and extended his arm outwards, forcing Kagome to stop short. “What is it?” she whispered, her eyes watching his twitching nose intently. Inuyasha's brows drew low over his eyes as he drew in another whiff of the scent hanging on the air. Is it even possible that he's still alive? he asked himself before another tentative sniff confirmed it. A smirk crossed his lips and he lowered his arm down. Kagome peered up at him, her dark eyes laden with curiosity. “Inuyasha?” He turned to look at her, the light still in his eyes and took her by the shoulders.
 
 
“Kagome you need to stay hidden for a few minutes. There's a guard down the hall I need to take care of before we can go any further. I think I know how to get Sesshomaru out of his room unarmed too…I can't explain it all now but I need you to trust me. Stay out of sight until you see Sesshomaru leave, then make like hell for that sword okay?” Kagome nodded her understanding and hastily slipped back into the shadows. With a nod he took off down the hall, his bare feet slapping noisily against the stone floor.
 
 
When Inuyasha careened around the corner at full tilt he nearly ploughed headlong into a sturdy looking demon. The silver haired hanyou came to a screeching halt and stared with wide amber eyes at the guard before him. His red hair was tied back with a leather thong and his green amber eyes still held the same self-confident cynicism they always had. He regarded Inuyasha curiously, a biscuit precariously held half way to his open mouth. With a small shrug he shoved it in and chewed it hastily before grinning. “Inuyasha! What are you doing here?”
 
 
The half demon tried not to let his thoughts run rampant across his face. Shippo's voice was a deep melodic baritone, a far cry from the screeches of the young kitsune he remembered. A ruddy stubble grazed his chin as well and Inuyasha realized that somewhere over the past few hundred years he'd grown into a man. Even he had to admit that he was proud of Shippo. Though they'd never gotten along overly well, and for the most part he thought of him as an annoying little brother, he was glad to see that he'd grown into a respectable demon. Shippo's own father would be proud if he'd lived long enough to see this day.
 
 
The adult Shippo absently wiped the loose crumbs from his face before pulling Inuyasaha into a strong back thumping hug. “I thought you left for the Eastern border two days ago,” he commented casually, fixing him with an open smile. Thing really have changed if this kid thinks we're friends! Inuyasha thought to himself with a hidden smile. He still remembered the days where he would give the kid regular thumps on the head just because he could. At least Shippo didn't appear to hold it against him now that he was older and much bigger. It's probably been centuries since I even tried to touch him, Inuyasha surmised as he took in the demon's broad shoulders, thick biceps and barrel shaped chest.
 
 
“Uh…,” Inuyasha stumbled as he tried to decide how to respond. Thinking quickly on his feet he draped his arm around Shippo's shoulder and began leading him towards Sesshomaru's scent.
 
 
“I've got some sensitive intel from the border. We've gotta have an emergency meeting with Sesshomaru and the rest of the generals. I'm trusting you to make it happen Shippo,” he explained, fixing the fox demon with a serious stare and stabbing his finger pointedly into his chest. Shippo's eyes widened fractionally and he nodded, impressed that Inuyasha trusted him with such an important task.
“You grab Sesshomaru and I'll take care of everyone else. And don't put up with any of his dawdling. This information is only good for the next hour and after that we're back to square one. We'll meet in the conference room in three minutes to work out a new plan of action okay?” Shippo nodded.
 
 
“Got it. Good luck brother.” With that he turned heel and stalked down the hall and purposefully rapped on Sesshomaru's door before letting himself in. Inuyasha silently mouthed `brother?' as his eyebrows rose into his hair line. Apparently things HAD changed. He waited impatiently for the door to Sesshomaru's room to close behind Shippo before he took off down the hall.
 
 
Kagome hovered in the shadows with breath bated. What was taking Inuyasha so long and who was that guard he was being so chummy with? It was too dark for her to make out his features but she eyed his broad shoulders, sturdy gait and the way he towered over Inuyasha. She gulped and crossed her fingers, praying that the half demon could talk his way out of any obstacles that might come up. The last thing she needed was for him to get pummelled by one of the guards.
 
 
Kagome's brows knit together with confusion as she watched Inuyasha take off down the hall and saw the guard enter Sesshomaru's chambers. Was he trying to make a run for it? No…he wouldn't do that…but then just what the hell was he planning? Kagome's body began to ache from the tension in her shoulders and back. Hardly noticing the pain she gripped the edges of the stone wall tight enough to make her joints lock up. She looked down at her clawed hands and narrowed her eyes in frustration. She shook them until the feeling returned and the blood flowed to her fingertips once more. When she looked up again it was to the sound of Sesshomaru's bedroom door closing.
 
 
She watched as the guard who'd gone in earlier jogged down the hall in the opposite direction. Kagome's eyes widened when she saw Sesshomaru exit his room into the hall and begin to stride in the direction the guard had just gone. She couldn't help but gasp aloud as she watched his graceful retreat from her. His silver hair flowed behind him in waves with each step he took and she noticed with relief that there was no sword at his side.
 
 
“Sesshomaru…,” she whispered gently as her heart clenched within her chest. He was walking away from her again and there wasn't a damn thing she could do about it. His life depended upon her silence, as painful and tortuous as it was. Her breath halted when he stopped in his tracks and tilted his head towards her. He waited as still as any predator would while he listened for any sound to give her position away. Kagome held her breath and silently prayed for him to keep going. Please go my love! Trust your logical brain…there is no way I could be here. Sesshomaru waited one suspenseful moment longer before he turned his head back around with a swish of silver hair and resumed his journey down the hall.
 
 
As soon as he was out of sight Kagome took off down the hall and slipped soundlessly into his room. She rested with her back against the door and forced her body to breathe. With her eyes shut tight she tried to conquer the overwhelming feeling of claustrophobia that threatened to paralyze her. You can do this Kagome, you can do this! she chanted in her head until her breathing returned to normal. When she opened her eyes again she took a moment to let the memories wash over her. Everywhere she turned there were ghosts from her past; the spot where Ronin took his first steps, the bed where she'd shared her first moments with her second son, the place near the fire where Sesshomaru used to hold her from behind to ease their tensions from the day.
 
 
Taking in a slow cleansing breath she pushed away from the wall and forced her feet forward. Her eyes scanned the room for the sword. Sesshomaru was a creature of habit, his swords were always close at hand meaning they would be somewhere near the bed. Dropping down onto her hands and knees Kagome reached her hand beneath the bed and dragged it across the floor. Her lips pursed when her fingertips were met with nothing but cold stone and dust bunnies.
 
 
Sitting back on her haunches she scanned the walls of the room again before her eyes returned once more to the bed. She eyed it thoughtfully for a moment before lying back against the tile floor and shimmying herself beneath the frame. As soon as her head slipped into the dark void she saw the sword cradled between the edge of the frame and the mattress. With a sigh of relief she lifted it free and brought it out from beneath the bed with her.
 
 
The sword was truly beautiful. The last time she'd seen it Sesshomaru had been threatening to slice her in half with it, yet here it rested in her hands like a harmless artefact. The gilded blade shone even in the dim light of the room. Totosai had obviously worked long and hard to fashion such a beautiful yet powerful fang. The hilt alone was entwined with the softest of black leather, with a strip of red leather braided in for decoration. The fang itself was a thing of beauty. At the base where the blade met the hilt, a great dog had been carved into the metal in flowing graceful strokes. It was simple yet elegant and everything about its design screamed Sesshomaru.
 
 
Grabbing the well worn empty sheath from her side, Kagome slipped the fang into it with a soft yet resounding `snap'. She was so close. All that was left now was for her to find Akira and then finally this nightmare would be over. Lifting one hand to the locket at her throat she squeezed it between her fingertips for courage. Kagome turned to the open window and took a step towards it. Her body suddenly refused to go any further and she was forced to stop mid-stride. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up on end and a violent shiver ran down her spine. Every fibre of her being told her that she was no longer alone, yet she had heard no one come in. She'd only ever known one person fast and deadly enough to enter a room without making a sound. Kagome turned ever so slowly to face the man who now stood behind her. Her eyes widened with fear as they locked with Sesshomaru's. He stood casually near the door and regarded her with a dark golden glare. He looked quite unimpressed to see her next to the window with his sword in hand.
 
 
“If you value your life I suggest you return what does not belong to you,” he commented as he lifted his claws into view. He cracked his knuckles and watched pointedly as the green hue of acid seeped to his fingertips. He turned back to Kagome, obviously expecting her to drop the sword and run but she held fast and slowly shook her head. “No?” he asked, his eyebrows lifting into his hair line with surprise. “You wish to die then?” Again Kagome shook her head and took a tentative step away from him. She lifted her foot to take another but he cut her off with a sharp warning.
 
 
“That next step will be your last, should you choose to take it.” She lowered her foot back to the floor but stood firm. Her eyes glanced to the door and she prayed that Inuyasha would come bounding through to save her or at least distract Sesshomaru long enough so she could get away. When the room remained silent and the door unmoving, Kagome returned her gaze to her mate. He regarded her coldly, but she could see the hint of some other emotion in his eyes. Once she realized he wasn't about to kill her just yet, she allowed her shoulders to relax and brought the sheathed sword down to her side.
 
 
“Why do you insist on making an enemy of me?” he demanded in a low voice. Kagome gulped hard and averted her gaze. So he knew it was her after all. She squeezed her eyes shut against the tears that threatened to blind her. She hastily blinked the moisture away before she turned back to him, her eyes full of regret.
 
 
“I'm sorry.” Her voice came out weak and defeated, even to her own ears. She inwardly cringed at the sound before swallowing hard to get rid of the lump in her throat. She continued on, her voice stronger this time. “I never betrayed you Sesshomaru. I have done nothing but love you with all that I am.” He seemed to consider her words for a moment, but his claws did not drop as she had hoped that they would.
 
 
“Lying to me will not spare your life.” Kagome sighed at his stubbornness and hung her head. If only she could tell him the truth. The thought was certainly tempting; then maybe he would trust her. But the truth sounded so ridiculous, even to her own ears, that she doubted he would allow her to finish telling it before he sliced her to shreds. Sesshomaru was not a demon to be trifled with. Unfortunately she'd learned that particular lesson the hard way one too many times.
 
 
“If you ever loved me,” she began slowly as she eyed the contours of his face, “I need you to trust me and let me leave here with this sword.” Her gaze fell upon his green hued claws and she remembered the time he'd used those claws to mark her as his, so the whole world would know she and no other was his mate. Now though, he looked ready to use those claws to destroy her. Sesshomaru's face remained cautiously stony and impassive at her request.
 
 
“No.” He casually ran his claws through his silver mane and flipped a section of it back over his shoulder. “If what you say is true, that you have done nothing to betray me, though I find that hard to believe, then you will set that fang down where you stand and go back to whatever time you came from.”
 
 
Kagome's breaths came slow and heavy to her lungs, as if she was sucking each one in through a tiny straw. He was forcing her to make a choice and though she wanted to obey him with her whole heart, she couldn't. At the core he was asking her to choose between him and his brother. It broke her heart to know that she would have to turn her back on him once more. She felt herself give way and desperately wanted to fling herself off a cliff as she felt her head shake “no.”
 
 
“I'm sorry but I can't…Sesshomaru please understand.” Kagome's eyes pleaded with his but he refused to be swayed. She had betrayed him for the last time. The last part of his heart that had warmed at her presence turned to stone as he shot her a dark malicious glare. She must have been able to clearly read the hatred in his gaze because she faltered and took a hesitant step backward. Her eyes widened as she looked into his and he smelled the fear emanating off of her with satisfaction.
 
 
You should be afraid of me, he thought to himself. I've let this go on for far too long. With sure and calculating moves he took one step after another towards her, slowly backing her up against the wall. He'd only taken maybe three paces before Inuyasha came bursting through the door, Tetsusaiga drawn. He glanced around the room wildly until his eyes falling on Kagome. She gaped at him open mouthed, too stunned to move of speak.
 
 
“Run!” he screamed at her as he brought his fang down to meet Sesshomaru's claws. Wasting no time Kagome disappeared out the window and into the night. Pushing Inuyasha aside Sesshomaru spun around and growled with disgust upon seeing she'd escaped. Whirling on his half demon brother he fixed him with a fiery glare and bared his teeth.
 
 
“Your meddling has cost me my prey. I'll make you pay for that Inuyasha!” He promised, his brothers name dripping from his lips like venom. With a snarl he launched another attack against Tetsusaiga and patiently counted the minutes until he was free once again to find the woman he had once loved more than life itself and his sword. She would certainly die by that blade. No one made a fool of Sesshomaru and lived to see another day. No one, not even her.