InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 27 ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Sesshomaru swallowed convulsively as he regarded Inuyasha with a skeptical glare.
 
“She's sacrificed everything to save you.”
 
The words had struck him like a cold hard slap in the face. He wrestled against the voices of his head and heart that were challenging him to accept or disregard the fantastic tale he'd just heard.
 
 
“Before Ronin was born, Kagome was told by a demon from the future that you would create a sword that would one day destroy you and your family - the Sword of Supreme Conquest.”
 
 
His heart wanted to trust every heart shattering word, it cried out to him with relief as it simultaneously clenched in his chest - there was finally an answer to the questions that had plagued his mind since the separation.
 
 
“When she couldn't stop you from making the sword she was forced to travel forward in time to destroy it before it could destroy you. That is why you missed Ronin's birth…though I'm sure by now you realize that you never really missed it at all. You were with her throughout the night and watched her suffer for hours to bring your child into the world. You and your stubborn pride wanted her to feel the pain of betrayal, so you left her until she was nearly dead.”
 
 
The Lord of the Western Lands withered at this particular memory. He knew all to well of what Inuyasha spoke. When he'd found Kagome in labour in the abandoned hut, his first instinct had been that it was an elaborate ruse designed by some enemy to draw him in and catch him off guard. Once she'd shown him the mark on her shoulder and he'd recognized it as his, he realized for himself who she was. Even so, he could not bring himself to embrace her. Though she'd already been dead for some time, the wounds in his heart hadn't yet healed and her appearance opened them anew and reawakened along with them the stinging pain of anger and regret.
 
 
“After Ronin was born, she decided to hold off on the mission so she could spend more time with you both. Each day she spent playing house ate away at her like a cancer. She felt guilty and ashamed that she wasn't doing more to try and save you. Every fucking day she cried to me about what a horrible person she was because she wasn't leaping through the well and putting her life on the line to save you.”
 
He wanted to believe that she'd never betrayed him but the cool logic of his brain refused to be so easily persuaded. It reminded him of the illegitimate child she'd borne in his bed, the child of his brother, who stood across from him now wearing a self satisfied smile. There was still no acceptable reason for that particular act of infidelity and he wondered if everything she had done since that night had been in a vain attempt to gain his forgiveness. He pitied her if it was. He would not, could not, forgive her. He refused to betray his wounded pride and broken heart for the sake of pacifying her guilty conscience. If she wanted to make amends it would take more than some fool hardy mission to save him from an opponent he had yet to face.
 
 
“I know you think she betrayed you by sleeping with me but there's a lot you don't know about what happened that night. I am entirely to blame for what we did. I should have watched her after you left and kept her from drinking herself into oblivion. By the time I brought her to bed she didn't even know her fucking name. All she knew was that she had a husband who made her feel unwanted. You should have heard her…asking me if there was something wrong with her, all because you couldn't take two fucking minutes out of your day to show her you gave a damn. You treated her like crap and that's exactly what she felt like. How else was I supposed to convince her that she was, is, and always will be perfect in our eyes? Sure, it wasn't the best judgement call I've ever made but you shouldn't blame her for it.”
 
 
Sesshomaru scoffed at that comment and narrowed his eyes at his brother. This particular event was not something he wanted to remember. The anger towards them both bubbled dangerously just below his perfectly maintained impassive façade, threatening to release itself at any moment in a flurry of claws and acid. To him it didn't matter how drunk she'd been, how upset or how lonely. The fact was that she'd slept with his brother, hidden the truth from him and borne a bastard son.
 
 
 
“You should probably know that she didn't remember anything the next morning. She honestly thought that kid was yours until I told her otherwise. What was she to do then? Kill it? She clung to the hope that it was your child growing inside of her right up until you figured it out.”
 
 
 
Even if things occurred as Inuyasha described, Sesshomaru still couldn't purge bitterness in his heart. He resented her for not telling him about the affair sooner. She'd known about it for months yet she'd concealed the truth from him during that entire time. It was that realization that affected him the most. He'd become so complacent in his role as a father and husband he hadn't realize anything was amiss until after the child was born.
She'd made him soft when he needed to be strong, she'd humiliated him in front of his entire kingdom and for what? He had resorted to publicly humiliating her and removing his mark as a way to heal his wounded pride and gain back the support of his people. The great Lord of the Western Lands could not be known as a cuckold, so punishing her had been a necessary and unavoidable task, but he would be lying if he said he hadn't enjoyed it.
 
 
“After that, she came back through the well with me to find your sword and destroy it. The Kagome who just left through that window is the same girl who experienced your wrath barely a week ago. Even though her shoulder still burns where your mark used to be, she continues to be devoted to you and loves you, if nothing else. She's risked everything to save you and you've done nothing but doubt her loyalty. The way I see it you have a choice to make. Are you going to stop her now and use that sword to kill her or are you going to leave her be and allow her to complete the mission she's lost everything she ever truly loved to? The choice is yours.”
 
 
 
oOo
 
 
 
Kagome eyed Akira's outstretched hand, not missing the way it shook as it came closer to the sheath. Pulling the sword in closer to her chest, she forced him to look up into her eyes.
 
 
“Are you okay?” she asked seriously. He nodded silently and looked expectantly at the sword, his eyes drawn there by the pull of the blade's power. Kagome could feel it hum beneath her palms. She wanted to be rid of it but she had to reassure herself that he could handle its power. “Your hands are shaking,” she pointed out with a slight nod of her head. Akira's gaze dropped to his hands and he shook them irritably to still the tremors.
 
 
“I'm fine,” he replied, his voice coming out harder and more clipped than he'd intended. Kagome shrunk back at his tone, her eyes travelling across his face as the searched his for answers. Akira sighed and tried to mask the frustration and anxiety building up inside of him as he spoke. “Look, the sword is pretty powerful for a half demon like me to hold. That's why I'm getting the tremors but I'm going to be fine. Honest. You just need to trust me. Now, give me the sword so this can all be over with.”
 
 
Kagome eyed her half demon companion warily. She wanted to trust him but there was a gnawing feeling in the pit of her gut telling her to turn and run. She couldn't explain it. He hadn't done anything to lose her trust up until now, in fact he'd been a perfect gentleman and accomplice, and yet a part of her didn't want to give him the sword.
 
 
Kagome's eyebrows drew together as she studied his face intently. He patiently waited for her to decide and kept his expression open and inviting. His eyes warmed slightly as they held hers and he noticed with a wave relief the small smile that tugged at the corners of her rosebud lips. Slowly, Kagome's logic overpowered her instincts and she felt her arms and the sword extending towards him once more. She nodded towards it with a small smile and offered him a tiny shrug as if to apologize for doubting him.
 
 
“Here, take it. It's yours.”
 
 
 
oOo
 
 
 
Sesshomaru ground his teeth together in frustration as he wrestled with his conscience over which side of the fence he wanted to be on. Inuyasha regarded him impassively, obviously unconcerned with what choice he made. To him it made no difference since he was fairly sure he'd stalled Sesshomaru long enough to give Kagome sufficient time to escape and find Akira. With any luck, that annoying mutt was well on his way to destroying the fang so all of this could be over and done with.
 
 
Sesshomaru opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Ronin's tall figure appearing in the doorway. He bowed instantly to his father before drawing his sword and pointing it directly at Inuyasha. The silver haired half demon looked from the sword to Sesshomaru questioningly, silently asking him whether he wanted to call a truce or continue fighting. He didn't make a move to tell Ronin to back down, but didn't raise his claws either. Instead, he leaned casually against the foot of the bed and eyed his half-demon brother down.
 
 
“What happens now that you've stolen my fang?” Inuyasha huffed a soft sigh of frustration and tried to ignore the blade hovering over his chest.
 
 
“I'm not sure what the mutt plans to do with the sword but Kagome's supposed to give it to him to destroy. I thought we were going to do it ourselves but oooh no…last minute he decides to -,” Inuyasha's rant was cut short by Sesshomaru's interjected question of “mutt?”
 
 
“Yeah the mutt. He's this annoying silver haired half demon who likes to talk like he owns the world and takes great pleasure in making Kagome do whatever he wants. He's the one who put this whole thing together…telling Kagome that there was going to be a war and all the other tribes would kill you for your sword blah blah blah. I couldn't give a shit what happens to you but you know Kagome…always so concerned about the well being of the people she loves, though in your case I think that concern's been wasted.”
 
 
Inuyasha's eyes travelled up Sesshomaru's form and he didn't bother to mask the look of disdain that crossed his features. Ignoring his brother's look, the demon lord cocked an eyebrow curiously as he tried to deduce who exactly this silver haired half demon was, since he'd apparently masterminded the entire “mission.” The longer he dwelled on it, the more suspicious Sesshomaru became of this demon and his intentions.
 
 
“What is the name of this half demon?” Ronin asked and Inuyasha turned to him, surprised to hear his voice. He took a moment to take in the adult version of the child he clearly remembered and admitted to himself that he hadn't turned out half bad. It likely had a lot to do with the fact that he was the spitting image of Kagome but for his blazing amber eyes. Inuyasha shrugged at the boy's question and rolled his eyes towards the ceiling.
 
 
 
“His name's Akira. If I had my way I'd have sliced him to pieces ages ago but Kagome wouldn't have any of it. I don't understand why she trusts him so much…” Inuyasha paused mid-sentence as a look of pure shock travel across Sesshomaru's face. It was rare when his brother showed any emotion at all, let alone allowed anyone to see that he'd been caught off guard. Curiously, he turned his gaze to Ronin only to see that he was staring pale faced and wide eyed at Sesshomaru. Some unspoken communication passed between them before the Lord of the Western Lands turned to regard Inuyasha once more. A hint of scepticism crossed his features as he asked him if he was certain of the half demon's name.
 
 
“Yeah I'm sure. I couldn't forget it. Do you guys know him or something?” Inuyasha's question went unanswered as Sesshomaru spun towards the open window. Kagome's name breathed across his lips before he disappeared into the night only to be followed closely behind by Ronin. Inuyasha stared quizzically at the empty room around him. What the hell had just happened? With a shrug he forced himself to his feet using Tetsusaiga to steady his balance. When he felt sturdy on his feet once more, he sheathed the blade at his side and escaped through the window and followed Kagome's scent through the underbrush.
 
 
oOo
 
 
Akira nodded his head in gratitude towards Kagome and reached out to wrap his claws around the sheath. He felt the power of the blade seep through his skin as he touched the rough leather. It coursed speedily through his bloodstream, filling him with more power than he'd ever thought possible. Closing his eyes in pure bliss, he breathed in deep to give his body time to adjust to the changes. When he opened his eyes once more, the dark seas of navy blue saw the world in an entirely new light. He felt stronger than he ever before, almost invincible, and faster too. It seemed like the world moved in slow motion around him which he found to be incredibly interesting as his eyes travelled around the clearing. Nothing could hold him back now.
 
 
Letting out a contended sigh, Akira tightened his grip on the sheath and began to lift it out of Kagome's hands. She loosened her fingers reluctantly as she tried to block out the voice in her head that was screaming at her to stop him. She tried to once again block it out, but when she heard Sesshomaru's voice call to her from the other side of the clearing the blood in her veins froze cold.
 
 
“Kagome! Stop!” he commanded, his eyes wide as he gazed at her. She gasped in surprise and instinctively brought her hands to cover her mouth that was hanging open in shock. Her eyes fell to the large blood stain that inked its way down his arm and her heart lurched. Her eyes darted next to Ronin who stood dutifully at Sesshomaru's side and she felt the breath fade from her lungs.
 
 
Father and son regarded her with matching amber stares and she shrank back from their piercing gaze. It was only belatedly that she realized she'd done exactly what they were trying to tell her not to do….she'd let go of the sword. Her eyes widening with fear she turned to face Akira and watched with horror as he unsheathed the fang. It expanded into its full form, glistening brightly in the first rays of golden sunlight to make their way over the horizon. His azure eyes darkened to opaque pools of black ink and a laugh that sent cold chills down Kagome's spike broke from his throat.
 
 
“Finally…it's mine!” Narrowing his eyes he fixed his gaze on Sesshomaru and levelled the sword at his chest. “It's a beautiful morning to die, isn't it father?”
 
 
Author's Note: Seriously guys this is probably the worst cliffy I have ever written. I actually feel bad for leaving it here but this chapter is long as is (remember this and 27 were originally together?) and I didn't want it to end up becoming a mini series all on its own. Because I'm such a jerk for leaving you hanging like this, I promise a speedy update. All will be revealed in the next chapter and some major, life altering events are going to take place. Please don't flame me for this chapter, but if you like you can review! Cheers!