InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 35 ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“WHAT?! We can't let this happen!”
 
 
One incredibly frustrated silver haired hanyou hung his head between his hands and dug his claws into his hair. He knew Rin wouldn't take the news lightly but considering the heated conversation he'd just had with Sesshomaru, the last thing he wanted to listen to was her high pitched squeals of indignation.
 
 
His ears were already flattening in preparation for her next noisy outburst when he felt a gentle hand come to rest on his arm. Glancing up he caught the apologetic smile she offered him and he immediately felt the tension in his shoulders dissipate.
 
 
“Sorry…,” she apologized with a cringe and noticed how his ears slowly start to pop upright again. “I forget how sensitive demon hearing is sometimes.”
 
 
Curling her arms around his bicep she leaned her head gently against his shoulder and let out a heavy sigh. Her voice was a great deal softer when she spoke next, though her frustration was still evident in her tone. “It feels so wrong to leave him here. He's your son! You should have a chance to be a father.”
 
 
Though she didn't voice it aloud, Rin had secretly hoped that she, Akira and Inuyasha could be a family together. She'd grown to have a strong fondness for the boy and cared for him as if he were her own. She'd taken on a motherly role almost by instinct in an effort to spare him from having to experience what it felt like to be abandoned and unwanted. Like Inuyasha, she understood all too well what it was like to live without parents, to know that no one in the world cared if you lived or died, to exist without purpose or hope. She'd never wanted Akira to experience that kind of loneliness.
 
 
Sesshomaru had shown himself to be a competent and patient father, yet she was still not entirely convinced he would ever accept Akira as his own. There were subtle differences in the way he treated the boys, nothing significant mind you, but she noticed the way his lips would tense whenever the boy was mentioned or the brief flash of emotion that always seemed to pass through his eyes when he watched the toddler at play.
 
 
Her stomach tightened and flipped with anxiety as she pondered what would happen to him once she was gone. Would Sesshomaru kill him as he'd always threatened to do or would he continue to accept the boy and treat him like a son? From her years living at the side of the Lord of the West, Rin knew better than anyone just how utterly unpredictable he could be.
 
 
“Do you think this is an easy decision for me?” Inuyasha demanded, agitation evident in his tone. “Of course I don't want to give him up! He's my only son - mine and Kagome's - but none of that matters. The fact is Sesshomaru can give him a lot of things I can't. He can give him a name, a position in inu society, wealth, power…”
 
 
“All of that means nothing if you don't have love Inuyasha,” Rin reminded him, sounding far older than her sixteen years. Sometimes he could hardly believe she was the same girl he'd watched chase at his brother's heels. Not knowing how else to respond, he let out a subdued “Keh!” and crossed his arms in front of his chest.
 
 
“And he needs a mother. He can't grow up without one.”
 
 
“He has a mother - Kagome. It's not your job to fill in for her! Besides, mothers are over-rated. I grew up without one and I turned out alright, didn't I?”
 
 
“Oh sure…you turned out just perfect!” She scoffed, aiming the playful jibe in his direction.
 
 
“Hey! Just what the heck's that supposed to mean?!” He demanded haughtily before making a playful swipe at her head with his claws. She laughed as she ducked out of the way, casually shrugging her shoulders while backing away from him. He advanced on her slowly, matching the pace of her steps with his own. He was like a hunter stalking his prey and his eyes fixed her with a hungry look.
 
 
Rin giggled nervously and glanced over her shoulders only to realize that to her dismay the wall was coming up fast and she had nowhere else to go. Deciding that humour was probably her best option she glanced at the ceiling and tried to suppress the smile from her lips.
 
 
“Oh nothing…I just think that maybe if your mother had lived longer you might be cured of that horrible potty mouth of yours. And your temper might a tad more…subdued too. Now that I think about it…you would've turned out just like-,”
 
 
“Don't you even THINK of finishing that sentence,” Inuyasha snarled at her, though there was no venom behind his words. Levelling one razor sharp claw at her nose he watched her go cross-eyed and had to keep a smile from creeping to his lips. He enjoyed being with her like this - laughing, joking, teasing one another…It gave the illusion that life was meant to be fun and care free, that happiness was something everyone had a right to enjoy. They both knew better, but it didn't stop them from enjoying the brief moments when they came.
 
 
Rin's smile faded as she pushed his finger to the side and fixed him with a troubled look. “Seriously though,” she conceded and flopped her body down onto the floor, “we can't just leave him. I want to be with you Inuyasha but if it means leaving Akira behind I don't think…”
 
 
Her words trailed off as the reality of what she would be sacrificing hit her hard and fast. She couldn't bring herself to finish her thought, to say aloud that she would leave Inuyasha behind if it meant that Akira would have a full and happy life. She wanted to be that selfless. She knew Kagome would have done it in a heartbeat, but she wasn't Kagome. She wanted a family of her own to love and care for.
 
 
In the months since Kagome's death she'd realized just how deep in her shadow she'd lived. Everything she did, every action she took, was preceded by the internal question of “what would Kagome do?” She was constantly compared to the previous Lady of the West in her looks, her attitude, her actions, and it made her weary. It was impossible to compete with someone who had won the hearts of so many.
 
 
She'd never been given the opportunity to be appreciated for what she could accomplish on her own, once Kagome entered Sesshomaru's world. Being with Inuyasha felt like her only chance to take that part of her life back and make it her own. Even though he and Kagome had shared a muddled past, she knew instinctively in her heart that in his eyes she would never be seen as a replacement. She could see it in the way his amber gaze held hers now. There was an unspoken trust there that would some day become love. He needed to be loved just as badly as she, and together they could make a beautiful life together. If only they could first get past all the hurdles standing in their way.
 
 
“Maybe if I speak to Sesshomaru I can work something out…” she muttered thoughtfully. Nodding to herself, she snapped out of her reverie and caught the anxious look in Inuyasha's eyes.
 
 
“Rin?” His hands rested heavily atop her shoulders, their warm weight holding her in place. Slipping her hands overtop of his, she shot him a warm smile and leaned forward to place a warm kiss against his lips.
 
 
“Don't worry, I'll take care of it,” she reassured him with confidence. “I'll be back later.” Pulling out of his grasp, she stood and stepped gracefully from the room.
 
 
Inuyasha watched her go and heaved a heavy sigh. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt so torn inside. Which was the correct path to choose? If he left Akira with Sesshomaru would history repeat itself? Or was it up to him to change the future by changing the past and taking the boy for himself?
 
 
He wanted someone to come in and tell him what to do, to make the decision for him, but life was never that easy. For the time being all he could do was wait while Rin tried to reason with his unwavering, painfully stubborn and arrogant brother. He wasn't hopeful but if anyone could pull a miracle out of this he was certain it was her.
 
 
oOo
 
The atmosphere in the garden was warmed by the scorching heat of the afternoon sun. It hung heavily in the air and made the fragrant aroma of the vibrant flowers ebb and flow in the slight breeze. Rin closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. She would miss this garden. It was her favourite place in the world and it had the ability to clear her head and bring her solace no matter how bad things got. She'd spent a lot of time here with Akira after Kagome's death, but it'd been nearly a month since she'd stepped through its ivy covered gates.
 
 
When she opened her eyes again she knew he was behind her. He had the terrible habit of sneaking up on people just because he could, yet she had long ago trained herself to feel his presence. Kagome had once told her that she probably had a touch of spiritual powers. She'd never put too much faith into the idea but over time simple tasks such as these became almost second nature. She was really not so different from the priestess after all.
 
 
Turning in place, she narrowed her dark eyes at Sesshomaru and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “How could you?”
 
 
Her voice was barely above a whisper but she knew he heard her just fine. She saw his body tense almost imperceptibly before he looked away from her to stare at a particularly vibrant patch of flowering bushes. When he refused to answer, she pushed him harder.
 
 
“Answer me! How could you make him choose between me and his blood?”
 
 
“I see he's made his decision then.”
 
 
“Yes, he has,” Rin hissed, hardly able to contain her frustration at his indifference. “Are you really planning on taking care of him all by yourself? Do you even love him? I've seen the way you look at him Sesshomaru-sama!”
 
 
“Silence!” Sesshomaru's tone was commanding and it silenced her instantly. His anger at her accusations bled his eyes red but he did not lose control in front of her. The Lord of the West never lost control. Turning his voice to ice he reminded her sharply, “This Sesshomaru does not answer to you. Do not forget for a moment to whom you are speaking!”
 
 
Rin remained silent out of respect but the anger still radiated throughout her body, she was practically shaking from its intensity. Sesshomaru regarded her thoughtfully, surprised that she would go as far as to seriously question his motives. Did she honestly think that he would kill the boy even now? Had he not proven over these past months that he had grown to accept him? What else would he have to do to prove it to this stubborn girl?
 
He knew she would never leave if she thought the boy's life was in danger. Though it was tempting, he could not allow himself to hold her prisoner in that way. He could not live at ease knowing that she'd given up a chance at happiness because of him.
 
 
“I have no intention of harming the boy,” he reassured her. “As you already know, I have claimed him publicly. He is mine. Despite what you may believe, he is no longer Inuyasha's. By right, by parentage, by all social contracts Akira is and will always be my son as far as inu law and society are concerned.”
 
 
“And what about as far as you're concerned?” Rin knew she was cutting him deep but she had to know the truth before she could move on.
 
 
The hard lines of Sesshomaru's face softened as he looked her over. He let out an exasperated sigh and motioned towards her with his hand. “Just as you are my blood, he is my blood. I will not harm him. You have my word.”
 
 
She visibly relaxed beneath his gaze and a small smile formed on her lips. Nodding her head, she thanked him sincerely. With his simple affirmation a great, heavy weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Though she still wasn't happy about the fact that Inuyasha would be denied the chance to raise his own son, she saw the logic in what both he and Sesshomaru were saying. It would take time for her to fully accept it, but she would get there eventually. If this was truly what was best for him in inu society then who was she to argue?
 
 
“You have chosen to go with the hanyou?” Sesshomaru observed quietly. Rin nodded and his fist clenched, hidden within the voluminous silk of his robes.
 
 
“So you will leave this Sesshomaru too?” He allowed his gaze to meet hers and was surprised to see tears brimming in her eyes. The anger and frustration that had marred her delicate features was nearly gone, replaced by an intense wash of empathy. Throwing decorum to the wind she rushed forward and hugged his body tight to hers.
 
 
“Sesshomaru-sama…I'm not leaving you! I can't run around your palace like a barefoot urchin for the rest of my life. I need this right now…I need him right now. I promise I'll come back to visit.”
 
 
Reluctantly, Sesshomaru brought his arm to press against her back and held her against his chest. This was the moment he'd been dreading, the moment he would have to say goodbye to his Rin and accept Inuyasha's Rin into his life. As he held her close his eyes drifted shut and breathed in her scent. It brought him back instantly to the day he'd saved her life. He'd smelled her blood on the air that afternoon and it'd spurned him into action.
 
 
Even back then, when he had no desire to care for anyone or anything besides his personal quest for power, he'd been drawn to her. He'd resurrected her because his sword and some hidden part of his heart had demanded it of him. He hadn't been able to leave her behind that day, and now he understood why - she'd saved him. He didn't want to, in fact his heart was dead set against it, but today he would finally let her go.
 
 
“Rin.”
 
 
He called her name painfully and swallowed to keep the tight sound from encroaching into his voice. Pulling away, he allowed his gaze to travel across her face. He memorized her features one by one: the dark chocolate depths of her eyes, still glistening with tears; her cheeks, heated and flushed with emotion; her lips, quivering slightly as she held back sobs; and her glossy black hair, which swept playfully over her shoulders in the light breeze.
 
 
She pulled a few stray strands from before her eyes and tucked them behind an ear as she waited patiently for him to make the next move. With a sense of finality, he reached into the inner folds of his kimono and withdrew the parting gift he'd chosen for her. He'd wanted it to be something she could always remember him, and the family she had once been a part of, by. He never wanted her to forget. Opening his palm he held it out to her and waited for her to accept it.
 
 
“Sesshomaru-sama?” She glanced with confusion between the gift and the intensity of his golden gaze. He nodded his head once in affirmation and she slowly moved her hands to take it. Knowing better then to ask questions, she simply nodded her head in thanks and wiped the remaining tears from her cheeks. Sesshomaru didn't do anything carelessly. He'd obviously thought long and hard about what to give her and the fact that he'd given her this particular gift touched her heart more deeply than she'd ever thought possible.
 
 
“Thank you,” she whispered to him with admiration shining in her eyes.
 
 
A muted “Hn” was his only response as he turned from her and departed. His body hadn't wanted to leave, but his pride had forced him to go. He knew himself to well enough to know that watching her leave would break him. His last image of her would not be her back retreating from him; it would be her youthful, vibrant face beaming up at him, full of love, admiration and joy. Despite the pain that welled in his chest at her departure, that image of her would sustain him through the hard days ahead.
 
 
Rin took in a shuddering breath as Sesshomaru's white form retreated into the shadows of the forest adjacent to the garden. She felt…relieved. With a smile pulling at her lips she gazed down at the withered scabbard of Tenseiga held in her protective embrace. As a child she'd protected it vociferously, stubbornly retrieving it and returning it to him despite the number of times he carelessly discarded it. For years he had deemed it a useless blade but in the end it had been the most important in his arsenal. It seemed only fitting he chose to leave it to her; the girl who'd always protected it and seen its potential when he couldn't.
 
 
The sword, as withered and aged as it was, held so many parallels to her own life and her relationship with Sesshomaru. As a child he'd seen her worth when no one else cared for her welfare. As a man she'd seen within him the ability to love - something he'd never thought possible. She'd seen the value in Akira's life long before he'd been able to accept it and because of her determination to protect him he was still alive. And now as a woman, she'd realized what Inuyasha could bring to her life despite his heritage as a hanyou. She'd assessed a power, strength and worth within him that Sesshomaru had never been able to see.
 
 
At their core, both she and the sword were the same and it was for this reason that he gave it to her. From the time it put life back into her body, she'd been its protector. This was why he gave it to her now, knowing that some day she would return to give it back to him. It was his subtle way of ensuring that she would some day return to him, even if it was with her final breath. The sword spoke in volumes what he could not express himself. It showed her how much he truly cared for her and made her heart swell inside her chest. With a beaming smile she clutched the sheath a little tighter to her chest.
 
 
Don't worry Sesshomaru-sama. I'll never forget.
 
 
Not ready to go back to the palace just yet, she lowered herself to the grass and watched the sun set over the horizon in tranquil silence.
 
 
--------------------------
 
 
Author's Note: I really though that Sesshomaru and Rin needed a sweet goodbye so hopefully this fits the bill. Thanks to everyone who keeps sending me such amazing reviews. Honestly, I read each one and they always make me smile so please keep them coming.
 
Until next time…
 
Langus