InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 42 ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was an unseasonably hot day for spring. The lush green grass bent low in the slight breeze and tickled her cheeks, bringing with it the warm scent of freshly blooming flowers. With a contented sigh she stretched her arms out to either side, enjoying the earth's cool touch against her heated skin. She couldn't have imagined a more perfect day. After so many months hibernating beneath the winter snows the earth was finally coming alive and she was being resurrected right along with it. Her dark eyes were trained on the fluffy white clouds dotting the sky overhead and she continued the game she'd been playing with herself.
 
Rabbit, monkey, Jaken-sama, dog…
 
Rin closed her eyes in contemplative silence, blocking out the clouds above. He'd been gone two years. Not a day passed when she didn't think of him. Every morning she wondered what her life could have become. How different would it be from the one she had now? Her heart knew they could've been truly happy together, but fate hadn't been kind to either of them.
 
She'd spent two years learning how to exist in a world that didn't have him in it. It took everything inside of her to fight the bitterness that wanted to take control of her mind and heart. She wanted to hate the gods that'd taken him from her, her lord for not bringing him back, and him for leaving. It'd been an exhausting two years, but this morning had been different. When the sun cascaded through her window she'd opened her eyes to a different world, one where her heart felt light and her shoulders unburdened. He'd done this for her, created this perfect day for her, and she intended to cherish every moment of it.
 
Opening her chestnut eyes, she searched the skies for the cloud resembling a dog. To her dismay she realized that it too was gone and let out a soft sigh. She hadn't wanted to accept it at first, but the weighted feeling in her chest confirmed what her heart already knew to be true. It was finally time to say goodbye.
 
The sounds of laughter and shrieking giggles drew her head up from its soft, grassy pillow. She rested on her elbows a moment to watch the children chase one another around the large oak tree standing ancient and majestic in the middle of the field. They were carefree and happy, completely at peace. She would always be proud and thankful that it was because of him they lived in a land free of war and violence. Tilting her head back, Rin let the afternoon sun wash over her face and her skin greedily soaked up its warmth
 
Goodbye Inuyasha. I won't forget you. I promise.
 
“Rinnnnn!!!!!” Her head lifted at the sound of Ronin's call and she waved to him. Shielding her eyes from the glaring sun she caught sight of little Inuyasha. He waved at her as well before stealthily jabbing his brother in the ribs with a stick.
 
“Ow! Inuyasha! That's cheating! Besides, you use Tetsusaiga like this…”
 
Ronin's voice faded as he turned around and swung his own stick in a great sweeping motion. The younger boy's eyes followed and his body mimicked his brother's movements in clumsy, jerky bursts.
 
Rin giggled and hugged her knees into her chest. Resting her chin on top, she watched lazily as the future Lords of the Western Lands practiced their sword techniques. Some day everything around her would be theirs. She was relieved to see that there was no animosity between the future heirs. Perhaps they were still too young, but she liked to think that Sesshomaru had learned something of value from his experiences with Inuyasha and passed it on to them.
 
The current Lord of the West hadn't spoken of Inuyasha since his death. This didn't bother her though because she knew him better than most. Sesshomaru had a way of expressing himself through subtle action instead of words. It was the way he'd been on the day she'd first met him and it was the way he would always be. She understood why the man who claimed to loathe his only kin more than anything had taken such great pains to ensure he was laid to rest with every measure of honour and grace. He'd made out as though he did it for his mate, and Kagome played along too, but she knew him better than that.
 
She'd caught him standing by his brother's grave more than once, often with a far away look in his eyes. It'd taken Inuyasha's death for Sesshomaru to realize he had a brother. She couldn't be sure if he regretted their past or not, but she liked to think the change she'd noticed in him was one good outcome of Inuyasha's sacrifice. To many Sesshomaru was the same imposing, aloof lord he'd always been, but to her, the one who knew him best, he felt warm, attentive and, most importantly, at peace.
 
Rin gazed down thoughtfully at the grass tickling her bare feet. At peace…I guess can finally be at peace now too…
 
“Might I join you?”
 
She started at the unexpected voice interrupting her thoughts. She hadn't even heard the man approach. Turning slowly, her heart in her throat, she glanced warily over her shoulder. Behind her stood a man, a human; tall and slim with dark eyes and an easy smile.
 
“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you,” he apologized with every measure of sincerity upon catching sight of her startled features.
 
Despite the warmth of his smile Rin felt herself shrink away. She disliked strangers and had learned through experience not to trust them, particularly humans. She debated running away as fast as her legs could carry her but remembering her promise to herself she remained seated. Licking her lips she nodded and suddenly found her voice, though it came out sounding rather small and mousey.
 
“I suppose so.”
 
The man settled down next to her with a gracious nod of his head. After setting his sword down by his side he leaned back on his hands and stared up at the sky.
 
“I'm grateful to you. I've walked so many miles these past few days I thought for sure my legs would fall off. I haven't seen another soul for days…so imagine my surprise to find such a pretty girl sitting by herself. What's your name?”
 
He talks too much, was her first thought, though she found the sound of his voice soothing. It was a smooth, rich baritone that came off his tongue as easy as his smile graced his lips. She glanced at him askance and took note of the fact that his eyes were shade of mossy green, not brown like her own. She rather liked the way his smile reached them and decided to answer him.
 
“Rin.”
 
“Rin? That's an interesting name. What are you doing out here by yourself? There isn't another village for miles.”
 
 
He turned his face away from the sun and Rin suddenly felt his eyes on her. Her cheeks flushed beneath his gaze and she kept her eyes glued to the tops of her feet. “I'm not by myself,” she pointed out as though it should've been obvious. He started, surprised at her words, but nodded understandingly when she lifted her eyes to glance at the two boys racing circles around a large oak tree.
 
“Ah, I see. They are hanyou, am I right? Are they yours?”
 
She started to nod her head but quickly stopped herself. “No. Wait, I mean yes they're hanyou, but they aren't mine. They're my brothers. We come here when the weather's nice.”
 
His easy smile was back. He was secretly relieved she had a voice after all. For a moment there he was almost certain he should give up hope on the girl but in that brief moment he'd caught a glimpse of someone hiding behind a timid exterior. It was enough to convince him to stay.
 
A comfortable silence followed her words as they both took a moment to enjoy the day. It was utterly idyllic, the perfect kind of day for a new beginning.
 
“So what's your name?”
 
Her voice, sounding more confident than before, surprised him. He glanced at her and scratched mindlessly at the day-old scruff growing along his jaw.
 
“Yamada Satoru. It's a pleasure to meet you.”
 
Rin tilted her head thoughtfully at his name before asking, “What are you doing here?”
 
“Well, it's a long story. Are you sure you want to hear it?” She nodded and rested her chin against her knees. He hesitated for a moment, unsure whether he could trust such an odd girl. But then her eyes met his, her gaze attentive and focused only on him. At that point he decided to throw all caution to the wind and go for it. After all, he had nothing left to lose but his pride.
 
 
-----------------------
 
 
Kagome walked up behind Sesshomaru and quietly slipped beneath his arm. He rested it back down atop her shoulders and she tilted her head against the broad expanse of his chest.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked quietly.
 
He didn't answer, but nodded towards the spot where his eyes remained transfixed. Kagome followed his gaze and watched in silence as Rin carried on a conversation with a strange man, a rogue soldier by the looks of him. After a moment she lifted her eyes to Sesshomaru's face and saw the lines of tension lingering around his mouth. With a knowing smile she wrapped her arms around his waist.
 
“What are you going to do about it?”
 
His hand lifted off her shoulder and he brought it to rest atop her head. He took a moment to thread his claws through the silky, dark strands of her hair, something he tended to do when his mind was troubled.
 
“Nothing.”
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow at him and gazed back across the field at the pair. Rin grinned while her new friend laughed heartily. She felt herself smile as well and nodded understandingly. This was good for her. She'd spent far too many months looking melancholy and lost. That man, whoever he was, made Rin look like herself again and for that they were both grateful.
 
“I've made some lunch. Would you like to join me?” She tore her gaze away from the talkative pair just in time to catch Sesshomaru's subtle nod. A moment later a pair of breathless children careened into her legs.
 
“Can we have some toooooo?” Inuyasha pleaded, his eyes growing large.
 
Kagome laughed out loud. “Of course! I know how much you boys love your ninja food. Go on, it's waiting for you at home.” She sent them off with a quick hair tousle and watched as they tore down the path shouting wildly at each other.
 
Once the boys were out of sight she slipped her hand into Sesshomaru's and they followed at a much slower pace. They weren't often presented with the opportunity to enjoy a rare quiet moment together.
 
“Do you think she'll be okay by herself?” she wondered aloud, casting a worried glance over her shoulder.
 
“I'm certain of it.” Kagome glanced up at her mate's stolid expression and felt strangely reassured. Some things would never change.
 
With a content smile on her lips she gave his hand a gentle squeeze and rested her head against the solid weight of his arm. They'd been through a lot together and sacrificed almost everything to find happiness, but it all seemed worth it when they could share moments like these. Blissful, fleeting moments filled with nothing but love and contentment made it all worth it. Kagome knew in her heart that she could live the rest of her days without ever loving another the way she loved him. She glanced up into his face and the gentle look in his eyes when he glanced down at her proclaimed louder than any words could exactly what he felt.
 
I will love you until my dying breath.
 
She smiled. I love you too.
 
 
---------------------
 
 
Back in the field, Rin remained oblivious to the fact that she'd been left alone. She laughed quietly at something Satoru said, lifting her hand to discretely hide her smile. Despite her earlier wariness she felt herself warming to his presence but wasn't sure how to interpret the long forgotten feelings flittering inside of her chest. Her heart thrummed away at a lightning fast pace, her cheeks felt sore from smiling, and she was almost certain there was a bright pink blush flushing her face. Despite that he hadn't run off so she decided to give him a chance. Letting go of her legs she relaxed back onto her elbows, mimicking his posture. He smiled at her and she returned it with one of her own.
 
Glancing around discreetly, she noticed that the boys had long since deserted her. Her heart sank briefly but the next comment from Satoru's mouth had her laughing. When he spoke she forgot all about feeling alone and allowed herself to become lost in his stories. As he told her about his home, his family and his many hilarious adventures she realized that her decision to stay had been the right one after all.
 
When Inuyasha died she'd convinced herself she would never feel happiness again. She'd stubbornly determined that no one could ever replace the red clad hanyou in her heart, but today felt different than the rest. Today felt like a day for a new beginning and she began to toy with the idea of letting someone in again. It may not happen today, and it may not be Satoru who held the key, but some day she would feel love again and when that day came she knew she'd be ready for it.
 
 
------------------------
 
 
Author's Note: And that's all she wrote ladies and gents. It's been an absolute pleasure to write this fic, despite all the angst and sad times. A big thank you needs to be extended to each and every one of you for sticking with me to the bitter end. I definitely couldn't have finished this without your support and words of encouragement.
 
I'm not sure what's in store for me next fan fic wise. I don't know if I can commit myself to another Sess and Kags fic right now, but I'm currently working on an Inuyasha and Kagome fic for anyone that's interested. It's called Love's Smirking Revenge and it's won a couple of awards so far so please go check it out.
 
Speaking of awards…I have some exciting news to report! This fic has been nominated for a Dokuga award for Best Drama. Yay!! If you want to find out more about the Dokuga awards or how you can vote or nominate other Sess and Kag fics visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dokuga/
 
A million thanks once again. *bows* Your reviews mean the world to me.
 
- Langus