InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. Never was. No money is being made

A/N - Hey everyone. Hope you all enjoyed the last chapter. And enjoy this one as well. Thanks to all my faithful reviewers who continue to help push me on in my attempt of completing this fic. Much love to you all!

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 21

Back to the West

-

The next day was the last of the Southern lands harvest festival. After they had made the rounds in the courtyard and village one last time, and dragging Rin away from a small black and tan puppy she had attached herself to, Kaida and Rin had packed up their belongings and gathered Ah-Uh and Ishika for the ride home.

Much to Kaida’s consternation, Sesshomaru had decided to stick around for the last day, and was now standing off to the side, watching as she and Rin saddled their packs onto the dragons for the flight home. As she was latching the last bag in place, Kaze ambled up to her side.

“Does he always stare like that?” the dog demon asked quietly, nodding in Sesshomaru’s general direction. “Gets a little unnerving, don’t you think?” Kaida glanced towards him, noting the tense posture and ready to battle aura.

“He’s ready to get out of here.” Kaida said simply. “That’s all.”

“He didn’t have to hang around.” the dog replied.

“But he did.” Kaida countered.

“Much to everyone’s surprise.” Kaze mumbled half heartedly, before his demeanor changed and he wrapped an arm around Kaida’s shoulders. “Can I talk to you for a minute, love? Before you head out?”

“Yeah, sure.” Kaida said, securing the belt and then walking off towards a more secluded spot along the courtyard walls, completely oblivious to Sesshomaru's smoldering gaze as it followed her every move.

-

The spar the night before had ended with Kaida and Sesshomaru victorious over her brothers. Ryuichi and Ryuji had demanded that Kaida fight on her own in order for them to assess her new fighting prowess, and she consented easily, taking the mat with practiced ease.

Sesshomaru had stood to the side, and was soon joined by Kaze.

“Can I talk to you?” he asked bluntly, causing Sesshomaru to cock an eyebrow in question.

“I am not hindering your ability to speak.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Kaze grumbled.

“Take it as you will.” Sesshomaru said, watching amusedly as Kaida tossed her brother into the wall with little effort. “What do you wish to know?”

“This is about Kaida.”

“Do tell.”

“I think you need to let up on her a little.”

“You presume to tell me how to deal with an obnoxious female?” he questioned coldly. “What makes you believe that I am in need of any assistance you may or may not have.”

“I know her better than you ever will.” Kaze said.

“I know her well enough.” he snarled. “She is….”

“A cocky, egotistical, pain in the ass who doesn‘t know when to let something drop?” Kaze supplied easily. “That about cover it?”

“That description is sufficient enough, yes.”

“It’s a show, nothing more.” Kaze said. “A defensive mechanism she’s honed after years of battling to come to terms with what and who she is.”

“It is annoying.”

“Don’t like having her take a swing at your head every time you make her mad, do you?” he asked.

“That is correct.”

“Give her a little room to do her own thing, and don’t be so harsh with her.” he had said. “She’s a soldier, yes. But she’s also a female, no matter how much she hates to admit it.”

“She should not be a soldier. It is not done.”

“So she should be more like her sisters, then?”

“Yes.”

“She’s lived in the West for six months now, and you still haven’t realized there’s another side to her, have you? It’s been forcefully buried after years of taunting and ridicule, but it is still there.” Kaze said forcefully. “Kaida could be the perfect mate for any male, much better than either Leiko or Kei could ever be. She has the skills to run a household larger than this one, and to be the ideal Lady. But no one has ever given her that option in life because of her mixed bloodline.”

“That is no excuse.”

“She’s had to fight to establish herself as a warrior.” Kaze said. “She adapts to new situations quickly. And if given the opportunity, the chance, Kaida would adapt to be a wonderful mate. Granted, she‘d never be as docile as most females, but she could handle the job well enough.”

“You speak highly of a woman whom you insist is nothing more than a friend.”

“We’re not lovers, if that’s what you’re insinuating. Never have been, despite what others may think.” Kaze said easily. “We consider each other siblings.”

“So I‘ve been told.”

“Look,” Kaze said, his temper starting to rise. “I came out here to offer some advice on how to deal with Kaida. Seems like you could use it after what I’ve seen the past few days.”

“Your advice is unneeded.” Sesshomaru said coldly. “I can handle one rambunctious female without an interference.”

“Yes, because you were doing so well in the dojo yesterday.” Kaze pointed out. “Beating the daylights out of each other is not a way to resolve a disagreement.”

“It has sufficed to this point.” Sesshomaru said coldly.

“Be a bit less harsh, and a bit more relaxed around her, and you won’t have to fight it out in the dojo.” Kaze said. “Pushing her buttons like you do only makes her harder to deal with. She will listen to your orders and requests without question if you just let up a little. Don’t disrespect her, and you’ll see what type of person she really is under all that brashness.”

“I do not care what type of creature she is, as long as she continues her duty to my ward.” he said coldly.

“Of course.” Kaze said, shaking his head lightly as he walked away “Just a bit of helpful advice.” He turned around and reached into his pocket for a small pouch, then tossed it to Sesshomaru, who frowned.

“What is this?”

“When you finally realize what I’m saying, give that to Kaida.” he said cryptically, then walked out of the dojo. Sesshomaru opened the small satchel and picked up a fine, thin chain of gold. Hanging at the end was a lotus blossom carved from green jade.

-

Of course, knowing that the other dog had even been remotely correct in his observations of their behavior towards each other had only made Sesshomaru’s bad mood worse. Seeing her interact with other people in a way which he was unfamiliar to seeing had thrown him for a loop.

She was always moody and snappish with him, and that was the way he thought she was to everyone.

And she had proven him wrong, numerous times.

The more facets of her personality he seen, the more he realized Kaze’s words to be true. There was more to the woman than he had given her credit for, and he had made it a personal objective to figure out exactly what made her tick.

He found Kaida’s scent, and followed it to a darkened alley behind the guard’s quarters. He could hear the conversation between Kaida and Kaze, and listened in for what was being said.

-

“You’re leaving?” Kaze asked.

“I’ve got to go back.” she said. “I’ve got work to do.”

“Rin?”

“Yes.”

“Don’ t sound so enthused, love.” he said teasingly, his violet eyes twinkling with suppressed amusement. “Seems like you’re about to die from the prospect of spending more time with Sesshomaru.”

“Your sarcasm is greatly appreciated.” Kaida countered instinctively. “A definite bright spot in my otherwise horrid day.”

“It’s not that bad, love.” Kaze said, tilting his head until his red-brown hair fell over one shoulder.

“No, I guess it’s not.” she admitted, shrugging. “I’m just getting a little antsy. A few more months, and I’ll have to come back here. Then I’ll be stuck going through the union with Kiyoshi.”

“You did tell me once that you wanted a mate, and a family when you got older.”

“That was decades ago….”

“Doesn’t matter.” he said softly. “You still want that family of your own. You’re too much like your mother not to want it. And after seeing how you interact with Rin, I‘m all the more sure of it now.”

“Yeah, but I don’t want it with Kiyoshi.” she admitted hotly.

“I can always kidnap you and take you as my mate.” Kaze said with a grin, reaching down to push some hair out of her face.

“Oh, yeah, that’s a plausible excuse.” she said, rolling her green eyes. “I don’t want Kiyoshi as a mate, the Council would never accept you as a potential mate for me as long as Kiyoshi‘s still around….“

“I’m hurt!“ he cried.

“…but I just don’t want to be alone the rest of my life either.” Kaida finished, acting like she hadn’t heard his interjection.

“As long as I’m alive, you won’t be alone.” Kaze said. “Don’t worry about it, Kaida. We will find a way to get you out of the union, even if we have to ask Sesshomaru for help.”

“I doubt he’d be willing to help me find a way to get away from Kiyoshi.” she said, rolling her eyes.

“It wouldn’t hurt to ask. Maybe he could think of something.”

“I thought you don’t like him.”

“I don’t.” he said matter of factly. “But if he can help you, then I’ll tolerate his presence. And besides, he’s got pull in the lord’s Council.”

“The only way he can help me is to take me as a mate.” Kaida said glumly. “And for some odd reason, I just don’t see that happening within the next millennium or so.”

“If he would take you as a partner, though, would you accept?” Kaze questioned.

“What?” she demanded.

“Answer the question, Kaida.”

“I….I don’t know.” she admitted. “There’s a possibility I would….a very slight possibility. It would be more of a last ditch attempt at freedom, thought.”

“But if he gave you an out, a way to get away from the Northern family, you would take it?”

“Depends on the repercussions.” she said, shrugging. “He wouldn’t do something like that without some sort of compensation. And I‘m not sure I‘d be willing to go along with whatever he wants in return for pulling me away from the North.”

“But you would seriously consider it?” Kaze demanded.

“I…yeah, I guess I would.” she said, shaking her head in disbelief…almost as if she couldn‘t believe she was admitting to something like that. “Where are you getting this stuff from? Why all the questions all of a sudden, especially about him. Sesshomaru and I barely remain cordial to each other.”

“No reason.” he said, shrugging. “But what I saw in the dojo yesterday evening spoke volumes. No two people can be that perfectly in synch with each other unless their relationship is solidly based on trust.”

“I don’t trust him.”

“He trusts you, though.” Kaze said.

“No he doesn’t.” she said, shaking her head.

“He trust you enough to leave Rin’s well being up to you.” he said firmly.

“He only trusts me with Rin because he knows I’ll keep her safe.” she said. “To Sesshomaru, I’m still some uncouth abnormality who deserves to be put down.” Kaze burst out laughing at that, and Kaida narrowed her eyes down into dangerous slits. “Is there a problem, Kaze?”

“No, not a problem.” he chuckled. “But your opinion of the Western dog is a bit skewed.”

“Right.” she said sarcastically. “If I know Sesshomaru, he’s probably counting down the days until I leave.”

“I doubt that.” Kaze said.

“I don’t.” Kaida countered. “And why are you defending him? The two of you were glaring daggers at each other last night. When did you become buddy-buddy enough to defend him?” Kaze just shook his head, and patted Kaida on the head, almost like she was a small child who was trying to understand some sort of foreign concept.

“You are a woman underneath all that attitude and brass, love. And a wonderful one at that. Let it come through every now and then.” he said, grinning at her. “Maybe then you’ll begin to understand.”

Kaida looked at her long time friend as if he had grown another head, her hands on her hips as she regarded him and wondered if he’d been in the remaining alcohol they kept in the castle. He just continued to grin, and she finally shook her head and heaved a sigh of aggravation, knowing he was not going to expand on his last comment.

“Whatever.” she said, turning to leave. “I’ve got to finish strapping Ishika down.” She walked a few steps away, then turned back to look at Kaze, a small smile on her face. “Thank you, Kaze.”

“For what?” he asked.

“For reminding me of that when it seems to slip out of my head.” she answered quietly. Kaze just grinned and folded his arms over his chest, preening like some proud peacock as Kaida disappeared around the corner.

-

Sesshomaru decided that he’d heard enough, and left his position at the guard’s door before he done something stupid….like decapitate the strutting dog demon that was following Kaida’s trail back towards the open courtyard. But before he could get too far away, he heard Kaida’s voice telling Rin not to go far because they had to leave soon. Rin agreed and heartily, and Sesshomaru caught a vague glimpse of her as she was being led away from the courtyard. He pressed up against the cool wall of stone, then jumped up quickly onto an overhead ledge as Rin and Kentaro came walking right past where he had been standing only seconds before.

-

“…a while before I can see you again.” Kentaro was saying.

“Write to me, and we can keep in touch that way.” Rin said softly.

“I will.” he said. “But there is one thing I wanted to ask you about before you left.”

“What is it?”

“Kaida told me that your court presentation will be soon, probably within another three or four months.” the fox said, fidgeting slightly.

“And?”

“And I wanted to know if Sesshomaru had arranged for a union between you and someone else.”

“There have been a few offers, mostly from the older clan leaders looking to marry off their sons, but he won’t hear of it.”

“Why not?”

“They’re humans.”

“I understand.” Kentaro said. “The reason I asked is because I was going to get my father’s permission to begin the process of formally asking you to join my family.”

“You’re asking to court me?” Rin asked.

“Yes, I am.”

“But that usually comes after a presentation at court.” Rin said. “Why now?”

“After the Council accepts you, and make no mistake, they will, the offers of unions are going to become more numerous. It happens every time a new Lady is accepted to Court.” Kentaro said.

“You’re going to go through all that, just for me?”

“You, Rin, are worth every minute of it.” he said. “Sesshomaru hates me, as it is. I just want to do this correctly so he will not have a legitimate reason to stop me from seeing you. I hate having so little time with you before he jerks you out of my reach again. But I don‘t want to be forced to steal you away from your only family like my father done with my mother.”

“I’m sorry, Kentaro. I’d change it if I could.” Rin said, her voice quiet and low. “But Sesshomaru is just as much a father to me as your own is to you. I can’t change the way he thinks. I can’t change who he is. I’m sorry.”

“No, pet. You’ve changed him more than you may realize.” Kentaro said easily. “But don’t worry about anything. I’ll begin the preliminary steps to ask his permission to court you.”

“How long will it take before you get permission?”

“It can take a few months, a year maybe.”

“A year?”

“I’ll have it done by your court announcements, Rin. Don’t worry.”

“Kentaro…”

“What? What is it?”

“Why are you doing this?”

“You don’t want me to?”

“No, no. But I don’t understand why you’re willing to go through all this trouble just for me.”

“I want you as my mate, Rin.” he said solemnly. “You’re perfect. You’re beautiful, and funny, and understanding. But most importantly, you’re intelligent.”

“But I’m human. I’ll die long before you will.”

“My family are kitsune. We know enough tricks to take care of that little hindrance.” he said. “You’ll be a wonderful addition to our family, Rin. My father already likes you, my brother likes being around you, and my mother will adore you.”

“You seem so sure.”

“Because I am.” he said. “Look, Rin, I can’t offer you the title of Lady of the Eastern Lands, but I can offer you a stable place to live and raise children, a family who will accept you as you are, and a mate who’ll love you.”

“That’s all I ever wanted.” Rin said, a smile on her face as she looked at the kitsune like he was the center of her entire world.

-

Sesshomaru watched, forcibly tamping down his rising anger as the kitsune embraced Rin, planting little kisses on her face and neck before gently kissing her lips. Rin just burrowed into his arms, resting her head on his shoulder for a few minutes before the separated. They continued to chat as they headed back to the courtyard, hands entwined. Once they were out of sight, the Western Lord dropped down onto the cobblestones once again.

“You know it’s impolite to eavesdrop on a conversation between two people.” came a somewhat amused voice. Sesshomaru slowly turned around, seeing Kaida leaning up against the wall. “Don’t tell me you’ve reverted to spying on Rin to appease your paranoia. Is nothing sacred to you?”

“How long have you been there?”

“Long enough.” she said, shrugging nonchalantly. “But we’re ready to go if you are.”

“I will be there momentarily.”

“Suit yourself.” she said, disappearing quickly into the shadow. He followed behind her quickly. When he moved out of the shadows of his hidden position, he saw Kaida and Rin standing near Ryu, talking about something or another.

‘They are matched well.’ he thought, looking at the two females. Rin seemed so at ease in Kaida’s presence, laughing and joking like she’d done so much as a small child. The teenager’s bell like laughter was mixed in with what he was beginning to recognize as Kaida’s own throaty chuckle as Kaze them some sort of story. ‘They are even dressed similar.’

That was something that he had noticed the few days before Kaida and Rin had left for the harvest festival. Rin liked to try and make Kaida wear something besides training gi’s and hakamas. And the teenager had apparently had her say this morning as well, because Kaida was dressed in a deep red kimono that was spattered with white cherry blossoms. Her hair had been pulled up as well, and twisted into a complicated set of knots that Sesshomaru suspected came from Rin’s handiwork.

All together, the fiery demoness looked decently presentable. And that itself was an odd occurrence.

It hit him once again how much different Kaida was from her elder sisters when he noticed that the two siblings were standing in a window above them, looking down into the courtyard with utter contempt. The two sister’s hard glares were readily apparent from his position, but were not similar to that of Kaida’s. Leiko’s and Kei’s pure bloodlines gave way to a more angular, long face and sharp chin, where Kaida’s diluted blood caused her face to be more heart shaped and human like. The small scale patterns on the sides of their faces was absent from Kaida, as were the overly pointed ears and elongated front canines.

Kaida’s features were tempered by her human blood, giving her a more humane appearance. Her ears were still slightly pointed, but not overly so. And her front canines were no longer than the rest of her teeth, but more than likely just as sharp and her sisters’.

The differentiation was Leiko and Kei literally reminding him of two bony birds of prey on the lookout for their next meal. And they definitely looked like vultures as they peered towards the group in the courtyard. Their glares were not nearly as menacing looking as their younger half sister’s.

He walked over to the small group of gathered individuals, and instinctively glared at the kitsune who was so close to Rin. Kentaro simply blanched a little and put a few more inches space between himself and Rin. His attention was quickly diverted from Rin and Kentaro to Kaida and Kaze as the demoness adjusted one of the straps on Ishika one more time, and Kaze leaned over to whisper something in her ear that caused her to nod in compliance and then turn to face Sesshomaru as Kaze’s arm subtly settled itself on Kaida’s waist.

Sesshomaru immediately tamped down a growl of annoyance at the obviously intimate gesture between the two. He still could not understand how Kaze could so obviously adore the fiery demoness. He was painfully aware of their closeness, their rapport with each other to the point of insanity. Just watching them casually interact with each other was beginning to drive him insane with some unknown feeling in his chest. He wouldn’t call it possessiveness towards Kaida because he honestly didn’t understand what it felt like to be possessive about something or someone.

And he wouldn’t admit to jealousy.

Intrigue, yes.

Interest, maybe.

Jealousy, no way in hell.

Sesshomaru knew all to well what that felt like. He’d had that particular feeling many times, before he realized that Tetsusaiga was not meant to be his own, and that he would never be capable of wielding the blade.

No, the Western Lord was not about to admit he was jealous of to connection between some demon merchant and his ward’s tutor, a rambunctious female who he had no possibility of controlling in this lifetime.

“Are you ready to depart?” Sesshomaru asked, looking down at Rin.

“Yes, my Lord. I am.” she said, nodding. He glanced over at Kaida, who simply nodded slightly in agreement. After a few more quick words to her father and brothers, and a quick peck on the cheek from Kaze, Kaida mounted Ishika, and Rin was helped onto Ah-Uh by Kentaro while Sesshomaru exchanged a few words with Ryu.

When they were done, Rin and Kaida gave one final wave to their family and friends, and were quickly drawn airborne by the large beasts they were riding. Sesshomaru was nearby, hovering on the white cloud of energy he was accustomed to summoning. All three of them headed northwest, and were soon swallowed from sight by the clouds.

-

It was a few hours flight back to the Western fortress, and Kaida fidgeted the entire way there . Kaze’s words kept ringing in her ears the entire way, especially his odd line of questioning right before she’d left concerning Sesshomaru.

‘I don’t know what he’s thinking, asking me something like that.’ she thought huffily. ‘He knows there’s no other way to get away from Kiyoshi than have someone else ask for me. And even then, Kiyoshi’s family has the right to contest the offer considering how long the arrangement has been in the making.’ Her hand reached for the slight golden chain around her wrist, a present from her father before she’d gone again. There was a small jade lotus at the center of the fine golden chain, and it swayed every time she moved her hand. ‘I don’t know what he’s thinking, what his plan is, but dragging Sesshomaru further into it isn’t the smartest thing to do.’

They touched down in the courtyard of the Western fortress a few moments later, and Kaida quickly slid from Ishika’s back and unstrapped her belongings. A servant was helping Rin take down a large pack of her own belongings as Sesshomaru touched down not far from the two females. As Rin instructed the servant to bring her belongings to her quarters, Kaida noticed that the Western Lord seemed to be hanging back, away from the two of them.

What’s his problem now?’ she thought. ‘I just stepped foot back here, and he’s pissed at me already? What’d I do now?’

“Kaida?” Rin asked, breaking the staring match between the two nobles and causing her to look away from the towering Western Lord.

“Yes, Rin?”

“Do you want your things brought to your quarters?” she asked, picking up one of the smaller bags she’d brought back with her. “I’m heading up there right now if you want me to take them.”

“That’s okay.” she said. “I’ll take them up myself in a few minutes. Go one ahead and I‘ll see to Ishika and Ah-Uh.” The teenager nodded and walked towards the fortress, chatting amicably with Keisha as the headwoman told her what had happened during her absence. Kaida waited until Rin was gone before beginning the unbridle Ishika. She felt Sesshomaru’s presence still hovering nearby, but figured if he had something to say, he would say it in good time.

‘Things are going back to the way there were before.’ she thought grimly. ‘He’s not talking, and I’m ignoring him. How much you want to bet we’ll be fighting before the evening is out?’ Kaida pulled a large package out of the strap she had secured along Ishika’s side, and flipped open the top of the small box to inspect the contents.

A shining bow lay amongst some fibers. It was made of mahogany, and strung with the hair of wild horse demons. The noon sun glittered off the rich, lacquered finish of the wood, and Kaida was happy to see it had not suffered any damage on the way back West. Next to it was a large, leather quiver of arrows made from various woods, and tipped with a variety of heads and barbs.

She sensed Sesshomaru walking towards her, and quickly flipped the box shut again before inspecting the rest of the contents.

“What is that?” Sesshomaru asked, apparently looking over her shoulder in curiosity.

“Some gifts.” she answered. “For Rin and myself, compliments of Kaze and Kentaro.”

“What is in the contents of the box?” Sesshomaru asked, obviously wanting to know what she held in her hands. Kaida didn’t want to show him the bow, but flipped open the top once again and allowed him to see. There had also been a small set of matching daggers with jade handles alongside the quiver, and Sesshomaru reached out to palm one of them, inspecting the workmanship critically as he weighed it in his hand before replacing it in the box. “Those blades are the work of a master craftsman. A fitting gift for one of your nature. The bow as well.”

“The daggers are mine.” she shrugged. “The bow belongs to Rin.”

“Rin?”

“It seems she took a liking to it during one of her walks in the festival.” Kaida said, picking up the bow and inspecting it carefully for any flaws. “She saw the village miko and one of the demoness’ who live alongside the villagers have a shooting contest with moving targets. She told Kentaro that she’d like to learn how to shoot as well as they did, and he bought her the bow and arrows.”

“But he did not give them to her in person?” Sesshomaru asked.

“He probably thought you would try to slaughter him.” Kaida said with a shrug.

“A wise assumption for one such as he.”

Kaida just remained silent, not sure why he wasn’t pitching a fit about someone giving Rin a gift, let alone since the gift-giver was Kentaro. She shut the box again and set it on the ground, then turned her attention back to Ishika.

“When will your instruction with Rin resume?” he asked.

“First thing in the morning, like always.” Kaida answered, her attention more fixated on the riding tact than him. “I see no reason to change things now. Why do you ask?”

“It would be more prudent to teach archery on the alternate evenings she is not learning your shielding techniques, would it not?” he asked calmly. “She will not need to forgo her time with Keisha during the early morning, nor with you in the afternoons that way.”

“Excuse me?” Kaida asked, her attention completely focused on him now. “You’re going to allow her to learn how to shoot a bow?”

“I see no reason for her not to.” he stated calmly. “However, I see that you are not in agreement, so I shall find someone else to…..”

“No...no..” Kaida said, shaking her head. “It’s fine, I’ll help her.”

“Then what is the problem?”

“You surprised me is all.” Kaida said, giving Ishika the signal to leave, and then walking over to pet Ah-Uh’s heads. “I thought you would refuse to let her even try.”

“Learning to shoot an arrow is not the same as learning to fight with a blade.” he clarified stoically.

“No, I suppose it is not.” she said, unsnapping the saddle from the two headed dragon’s back. They remained in silence for a few more minutes as she pulled the tact off. “I needed to ask you something.”

“Yes?”

“Rin’s knowledge of the medicinal herbs in the gardens has hit a standstill.” she said carefully, trying to word her request in a way that would not be shot down immediately by the imposing Lord. “I need to start taking her beyond the walls of the fortress and into the forest so she has the chance to learn other plants and their uses. She needs to get beyond these protective walls and see what she can do in the wild.”

“I see.” he said. Kaida continued in her task until Ah-Uh was free from the riding tact, and on his way towards the stables. Kaida handed the riding gear to one of the stable hands and waited for some sort of answer from Sesshomaru.

“So?”

“You both will be allowed to venture out of the barrier as long as either Sakaki or myself is present as well.” he deemed calmly.

“Fair enough.” Kaida acknowledged with a nod.

“Really?”

“What? Surprised I’m not going to argue with you about it?” she asked with a grin.

“Some what.” he answered truthfully. “I seem to recall the last time I told you Sakaki was to accompany you. You were much more forcefully vocal in you independence than you currently are.”

“Because there is no point in trying to argue with you.” she said carelessly with a shrug. “I get more things accomplished when I don’t have you interfering and trying to sabotage any attempt at teaching her something new. Although I still say Rin is safe enough with just myself watching over her.”

“You would believe so.” he commented idly. “However, there is an urgent matter which I need to speak with you about.”

“Concerning Rin?”

“You are correct.”

“Is it about Kentaro?”

“Correct, again.” he said calmly. “Once Rin is busy with her morning duties, come to the Council room. There are a few things I wish to know concerning the kitsune and his family, as well as his intentions.”

“And you want my opinion on the matter?” she asked, somewhat surprised.

“Your father made a valid point when he said you are a good judge of personality, despite your own overtly obvious character flaws.” he said coolly, obviously trying to bait her into an argument. Much to his surprise, she just smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, we’ve all got those, don’t we?” she asked calmly.

“You are becoming more amicable.” he said cautiously. “Less than a week ago, a comment such as that would have incited a riotous defensive argument on your part.”

“I know when to push my borders with people.” she shrugged. “And like I said, arguing with you is pointless. You’re as thick headed as my sisters, and just as set in your superiority-complex ways. That much I’ve seen first hand. So I deal with you the same way I dealt with them.”

“And that would be?”

“Let you have your way until I can’t possibly take it anymore.”

“And then?” he inquired.

“All hell breaks loose and someone gets knocked out.”

“I believe we had an agreement concerning physical violence, did we not?” Sesshomaru asked.

“What? Our agreement was to a lack of open hostility when in Rin‘s presence.” Kaida said simply. “That doesn’t mean I can’t fight with you when she’s not around.”

“And here I was, beginning to believe you were becoming more docile.” he said as she shouldered her packs and headed towards the front entrances.

“Me? Docile?” she asked, sounding somewhat amused as she walked off. “Never.”

-

A/N - I hope everyone enjoyed the latest chapter. Please remember to review, as I want to know what you think.

Until next time,

A.A.