InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only characters I own are Kaida and her family. The rest belong to their original creator. No money is being made off of this at all, so don’t sue.

A/N - Okay, here is the first of the large update. And the next three chapters will be set up as flashbacks for each of the characters. The flashbacks will be set off from the rest of the story by italics. Hope you enjoy.

Until next time,

A.A.

Oh, and before I forget to mention this, there is a slight gap in time between the last chapter and this one. Approximately three months have passed.

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 23

More Than What You See

-

Winter is finally upon us. We had our first snowfall today, and needless to say, Kaida is none too happy about it since she can’t go outside to train. But she’ll make do.

Rin put her ink brush down an looked out the window, only to see soft white snow flakes falling once again. Kaida had set her to keeping a record of day to day activities, and she needed to finish up the days entry, especially since she had received word from Kentaro that his father was to be arriving the next day to speak with Sesshomaru. Rin sighed and picked up the instrument, finishing the entry and setting it aside to dry.

The last few months had been relatively quiet in the Western Lands. She had continued Kaida’s training in her duties as a noblewoman, and had been told that in a few more months, she would be finished and ready for her court presentation.

There had already been some attempts by a few of the nearby vassals to coerce Sesshomaru into giving them her hand in marriage. Needless to say, the results had all been the same. Said Lord had refused the human men’s request, and sent them off. Kaida had eventually taken pity on the poor fools who continued their attempts at getting her, and warned them not to continue their endeavors or Sesshomaru was likely to feed them to Ah-Uh.

That particular conversation between herself and Sesshomaru had not went over too well, and she smirked thoughtfully in remembrance.

-

“My Lord?”

“Yes, Rin?”

“Who was that man that just ran out of here so quickly?” she asked. “Is something the matter?”

“Nothing is wrong.” Sesshomaru said. “He was a vassal from the Takada clan.”

“From the borderland clans?” Rin asked curiously. “That’s a long trip. What did he want?” Sesshomaru only looked up at her for a few moments before returning to his work.

“The same thing the last four wanted.” he said calmly, causing Rin to blush red. There had been a number of suitors that had come around since the festival, and Sesshomaru had sent every single one off with no more than a few words, one well placed threat that usually involved Ah-Uh, and his infamous glare.

“You do realize you’re ruining any chance I’ve got of ever marrying, don’t you?”

“That is not true.”

“You’ve run off every single man that has stepped foot in the fortress!” she pointed out sourly.

“They are human, and not fit for such a union.”

“I’m human.” Rin said grumpily.

“Of that I am aware.” he said.

“Well what am I supposed to do?” she demanded. “My only other options are taking a demon mate, or staying alone for the rest of my life!”

“So it is.”

“You know, Kentaro would be a good choice for me if you stop and think about it.” she said.

“That kitsune ingrate…”

“Matches your specifications perfectly.” Rin cut in, grinning as she ticked his attributes off on her fingers. “He’s a demon, and the son of a Lord. Not only that, but he’s got nerve.”

“And obviously enough brains to know when to stay out of my way.” Sesshomaru growled. “He has not returned since the last meeting.” Rin tamped down a smile, knowing that her guardian was referring to the living vine he had left to keep her company.

“But he does meet all your standards.”

“I do not like him.”

“You don’t like any of them.” Rin pointed out dryly.

“That, Rin, is an accurate observation.”

She had let the subject drop after that, knowing her Lord well enough to realize that he’d seen her point. Of course he had quickly turned it all around and put the blame on her shoulders, saying that if she had refrained from going to the festival in the main village, then the suitors would never have taken an interest, and therefore he would not have to scare them off. She had just shook her head, and left him to finish his work.

-

The discussion about her going to the main village festival had actually only been resolved by pulling Kaida into the mix. Sesshomaru had allowed her to go to the main village to enjoy the celebrations, with the stipulation that Kaida go as well. Rin had begged the demoness to go with her, and it had finally worn her down, much to Sesshomaru’s surprise the day he saw them walk out.

-

The festival was in full swing by the time Rin managed to coerce, coax and threaten Kaida into her formal kimono. The demoness had complained, but had finally given in to Rin’s insistent please. The teenager had taken a serious delight in getting to dress Kaida up for once, as the Southern general rarely wore more than her training clothes.

They had stepped out of the fortress and were halfway across the courtyard when Sesshomaru had descended from the sky with Sakaki in tow, a scowl on his usually impassive face.

“Where are you going?” he demanded.

“The festival in the village, my Lord.” she answered happily. “Remember? You said that if Kaida agreed to come with me, then I could go. See, and I even made her dress up properly.”

Sesshomaru had seemed to contemplate Rin’s words carefully, looking at them both rather closely. To her imminent surprise, her guardian’s inspection of Kaida seemed a bit more prolonged than was needed. The Western Lord seemed to be circling around Kaida like some sort of creature about to strike, but there was a silent appreciation in his eyes.

Rin figured he was just surprised to see her dressed like other nobles did. It was quite a sight to behold, Rin had to admit. Kaida looked much more presentable the way she was now dressed. Her dark ivory ornamental kimono looked wonderful against her tanned skin, and the deep green embroidery set of her own jade colored eyes. Rin had even pulled Kaida’s hair back into a simple braid, and let it hang to her waist.

Without being dressed in her training clothes, and no scimitars in sight, Kaida honestly did not look like the same spitfire teacher she was used to dealing with.

“I see you did.” Sesshomaru answered. He gave Kaida a questioning look, and the demoness pulled back the sleeve of her right arm, allowing the sunlight to glint off two concealed blades.

“We will be fine.” Kaida said, lowering the sleeve and purposely flicking out the small fan in her hand. This time, not even Sakaki missed the glinting off the razor sharp metal blades embedded in the tips. Sesshomaru seemed pacified, even a bit amused at it all if the smirk on his face was any indication. Kaida smiled slyly and snapped the fan back into place, palming it in her hands as if it was completely harmless.

“Very well, you may go.” he said, causing Rin to smile. “Take Sakaki with you.”

“What?” Kaida demanded. “Why?”

“It would be my pleasure to escort two such lovely ladies.” The guard said, winking playfully at Kaida while she glared at the cheeky response.

“But…you said…” Rin began.

“Neither of you are bearing the Western crest.” he said. “And I do not wish to have a repeat of the Council meeting simply because some drunk human male cannot keep his hands off what belongs to me.”

“But…”

“He goes or you both stay.”

“Yes, my Lord.” Rin said glumly. The Western Lord just gave Sakaki a glare that promised painful retribution should they come to any harm, and then turned to walk towards the fortress without another word.

-

Even now, nearly three months later, Rin couldn’t figure out why he seemed so aggravated with her that day. She had suspected that it was because Kaida had agreed to go with her, thus proving Sesshomaru wrong since he believed she would refuse.

‘Well, shows what he knows.’ Rin thought. But is slow inspection of Kaida that day of the festival had sparked her attention. He had seemed so…different for those few moments. She wasn’t sure what it was, and she couldn’t put her finger on exactly what was so different, but it was there, if only for a split second when Kaida and Sesshomaru had met eyes and come to a consensus, a silent agreement.

It was honestly scary.

She’d even caught them alone a few times, talking quietly about only Kami knew what, or working in the dojo with some of the newer weapons Sesshomaru had commissioned for the Western armies supplies. They never spoke to each other that much when she or others were present, especially during the day. In fact he seemed to disregard Kaida mostly during the times she was teaching her. But there were a few times when he would search her out. Whether it was from boredom or not, Rin didn’t know, nor did she really care. They were starting to get along a little more, and that was all that she really cared about.

The best example of her guardian seeking Kaida out had been the evening she had watched from the window of the library while Sesshomaru proved he had been watching them more than he appeared to let on.

-

She had been cooped up in one of the top floor libraries since her rounds with Keisha that morning. Rin had taken to studying some of the musty scrolls concerning the importing and exporting of goods from the mainland in an attempt to find a newer trading route, and was about to go crazy from boredom. She had pushed the mounds of papers back and walked over to the window in an attempt to calm her nerves.

She could see Kaida with Ah-Uh down in the courtyard, and Ishika flying in lazy circles up above. The two dragons were getting some fresh air, and a good rub down with a special oil that kept their hides from cracking during the onslaught of winter’s freezing winds.

Rin watched as her instructor finished slathering the two headed dragon down, and then slapped his rump to send him into the warmer sunlight to sleep. She called to Ishika, but the huge beast continued to fly in erratic circles, not wanting to land.

Kaida gave the curt signal to land a few more times, and Ishika finally touched down in the courtyard, giving the dragon equivalent to a grumble when Kaida walked over and began to slather the oil on her hide. Ishika apparently was not very happy, and quickly encaged Kaida in her huge talons, forming a cage around her mistress.

The look on Kaida’s face had been absolutely priceless as she tried to coax Ishika into letting her go. But all the overgrown reptile done was crave her head down and blink at Kaida lazily.

It was times like this that Rin wished she had demonic hearing. She could see the first signs of Kaida’s temper starting to show through. Her fists were clinched and her mouth was drawn down into a fine line. It took all Rin had not to laugh at her teacher’s predicament.

She was about to do down to the courtyard and try to help Kaida out when the demoness stopped her berating and turned her attention skyward, only to make her frown turn into a look of utter embarrassment. A few seconds later, Sesshomaru landed in the courtyard and stepped into Rin’s line of sight.

Kaida turned to face the stoic demon, apparently trying to explain her situation, gesturing to Ishika with a scowl on her face. The two nobles continued to exchange words, but whether it was a normal conversation or a flinging of sarcastic insults, she could not tell. Sesshomaru seemed to take advantage of Kaida’s helplessness and say something that caused the dragon noblewoman to scowl at him, and more than likely tell him off at the rate she was talking.

The affect of her words were not lost to Rin though, and the teenager had to blink back a few times before her brain fully processed what she was seeing.

Sesshomaru was smiling.

It wasn’t a smirk.

It wasn’t a grin.

It wasn’t even a scowl.

The Western Lord was smiling.

Rin squinted to make sure she still wasn’t seeing things, and her first thoughts were that some poor, innocent creature was about to die a very slow, horribly torturous death.

But apparently Kaida didn’t find it so funny, especially when Sesshomaru gave Ishika the signal for ‘release’ and the dragon easily complied, lifting her talons from around the shocked demoness. Sesshomaru said something that seemed to snap her out of her shock, and then turned to leave without another word.

Kaida just stood there in the center of the courtyard, blushing slightly and watching as Sesshomaru walked off. It took a few minutes for her to get herself back under control, but she eventually turned back to bathing Ishika down in the oil, muttering incoherently to herself and sporadically looking at Ishika and back towards where Sesshomaru had walked off.

-

Rin had laughed for hours after that, remembering the expression of utter shock on Kaida’s face. The demoness had seemed stunned that Sesshomaru had know the proper combination of hand signals to tell Ishika what to do. But what was even more surprising was that the dragon obeyed the command.

It had been that very day when Rin had begun to wonder what was going on between the two nobles. It seemed like the they had come to some sort of unspoken consensus. They had fought less since leaving the Southern Lands after the harvest festival, fewer arguments, and almost no blood shed that she was aware of. It had been a slow process, each one of them finally coming to terms with the other one, and apparently deciding to put away their childish antics.

She wouldn’t exactly accuse them of becoming friends, but it was so damned close she didn’t know what else to call it.

But what had really put the icing on the cake was when she had seen them in the gardens a few days ago, talking quietly once again.

-

It had been late in the evening when Rin finished the inventory of the kitchens with Keisha’s help. She had decided to head back to the gardens and gather up some herbs she’d left to dry in the sun before going to bed. She’d turned the corner and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Sesshomaru and Kaida walking among some of the evergreen bushes that remained alive.

They seemed utterly relaxed, which Rin found odd considering the close proximity. Apparently Kaida’s daggers were the topic of conversations, since she pulled one out and offered it to him. Sesshomaru, instead of taking the blade, grasped her wrist and pushed back the sleeve of the haoiri she had on.

Kaida seemed utterly confused until she realized that his attention was fixated on the thin golden chain around her wrist.

A few more words were exchanged, and he let her wrist go, then reached into a hidden pocket and pulled out a small, drawstring satchel made of red silk. He handed it to Kaida, who looked at it curiously.

Rin managed to hear Sesshomaru say something about ‘Ryu’, and ‘Kaze’, and ‘Southern Festival’ before Kaida opened it, pulling out a gold chain similar to the one that adorned her wrists. Hanging from the center of the chain was a row of three jade lotuses, each one a little smaller than the previous. Kaida just gaped at the necklace, apparently speechless, while Sesshomaru looked on, impassive as ever except for a fleeting look of relief that had crossed his face when she’d opened it.

‘Well isn’t this a pleasant turn of events?’ Rin thought ruefully, grinning maniacally as a flushed Kaida questioned Sesshomaru about the jade. ‘I know Kaze gave him that necklace to give to Kaida. Kentaro told me so he was with Kaze when he bought it! But why’s he’s giving it to her now?’

Rin eventually left the two nobles alone a few minutes, resolving to catch Kaida on the side and find out where the jewelry had come from. The teenager managed to find out later on that Sesshomaru had told Kaida the necklace was a gift that had arrived at the fortress the day before while she and Rin were with Sakaki in the forest. Kaida seemed to think it was from Kaze, a gift for her birthday, but Rin new better.

Now she was just trying to figure out why Sesshomaru would let her believe the necklace was from Kaze, when she knew for a fact that Sesshomaru had gotten the thing at the end of the Southern festival months ago.

-

That had only been a few days ago, and Kaida had yet to take that necklace off as far as she knew.

“I still don’t understand what’s going on between those two.” Rin muttered to herself as she pushed away from the window and frowned when her stomach rumbled. It was a little while until dinner, but she had missed lunch and her stomach was telling her that it was time to eat. She knew Kaida was probably in the dojo, or her own quarters, and would be busy until later on that evening.

‘Maybe I can get Keisha to get me something to eat.’ she thought, heading for the kitchens, her worries about her guardian and her teacher pushed to the back of her mind once again. ‘Then I’ll get back to getting things ready for Kentaro and his father to get here tomorrow.’

-

A/N - Well, now we get a good look at what is going on with Sesshy and Kaida. Let’s see what’s on their minds, shall we? On to the next chapter…

A.A.

Oh, and remember to review. I want to know what you think.