InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 29

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only thing I own is Kaida, and her family/friends. No money is being made, so don’t sue me.

---

Teaching Rin

Chapter

More Than it May Seem

---

Rin pushed another limb out of her way as she walked along the well beaten path towards the village were Kagome and Inuyasha lived with Shippo and Kaede. She had been going for quite a while, and knew that the old miko’s village was over the next hill. She had landed not far from where she currently was a few minutes ago, and then sent Ah-Uh back towards the castle.

She crested the hill and looked below, taking in the villagers working in the rice fields and gardens near their homes. She was exhausted from the stress of the day, and she sat down to gather her wits before continuing.

‘Kaida’s gone.’ she thought sadly, sniffling. ‘My friend is gone, and Lord Sesshomaru will not bring her back because he’s too proud! She shouldn’t have had to die because of me. It’s just not right.’ She felt her tears once again find their way to her eyes, and she done nothing to stop them. ‘I don’t even know what I’m doing here. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru never get along, and Kagome can’t do anything to bring Kaida back.’

“What was I thinking?” she whispered, bowing her head. “What am I doing here?”

“I don’t know.” came a subdued voice of Kentaro, which completely startled her. She had not noticed that she was being followed, she’d been so caught up in her own emotional turmoil. But it did make her feel slightly better, hearing the kitsune’s calming voice.

“Kentaro?”

“I’m here, love.” he said, dropping down out of the tree tops and walking over to her, enveloping her in his arms while she cried even more. “It’s going to be alright, Rin. I promise.”

“She’s gone, Kentaro.” Rin wailed uncontrollably. “She’s gone and it’s all my fault!”

“It’s not your fault, Rin.” he said firmly.

“Yes, it is! She could have fought them off if she had been in her full demon form, but she wouldn’t let the change happen because she was feeding me the energy to hold up my shield!”

“I know.” he said placatingly, trying to soothe her down. “I know. But she’s no longer tied to Haruto and Kiyoshi. She’s at peace now.”

“She’s dead!” Rin screamed, her anguish coming through. “She shouldn’t have had to die because Kiyoshi was a selfish bastard!”

“We all know Haruto and his family are crazy, Rin.” he answered evenly. “But there is….nothing…we can…”

“What’s going on?” Rin asked, hearing his voice cut off. “What’s wrong?”

“We’ve got company.” he said, going to stand in front of her, right as a red and white blur landed in front of them. “Stay back, Rin.”

“And just who the hell are you?” came a gruff voice that Rin had not heard in a number of years. “What the hell are you doing around here, huh?” She peeked around Kentaro and saw the one person she had been in search of. Inuyasha had not changed all that much in the seven or so years since Naraku had been defeated. He was still cocky, and from the gruff greeting they had received, still suspicious of people he didn’t know.

“What?” Kentaro questioned angrily. “How dare you use such coarse language in front of a lady like…”

“Hello, Inuyasha.” Rin said, giving the demi-demon a half smile and a wave from behind her kitsune bodyguard. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it? How’s Kagome?” The dog hanyou looked at Rin for a moment in confusion, and was about to say something when a streak of green and brown settle down beside Inuyasha.

“Geez, Inuyasha.” the kitsune said. “What’s the big rush?”

“I found these two snoopin’ around.” he answered, pointing to Kentaro and Rin.”

“Hey, Shippo.” Rin said. “How’s everything? This big brute still beating up on you?” Shippo looked at the girl for a split second until he broke into a huge grin.

“Rin!” he yelled, running over to hug her, much to Kentaro’s annoyance. “How you been? Why are you here? And why have you been crying?” Rin smiled at the concern coming from her friend, and ruffled his hair.

“Oiy, brat!” Inuyasha grumbled good naturedly, sheathing Tetsusaiga. “Where’s my bastard of a brother? And who you got with you? Looks like some of Shippo’s family.” Rin smiled at the hanyou, and broke away from Shippo to give him a hug.

“Good to see you as well, Inuyasha.” she said. “It’s been a while since I last seen you. I thought you might have forgotten me.”

“I didn’t recognize you.” the hanyou admitted.

“Well, now that we’ve had our reunion,” Shippo said, slinging his arm around Rin. “how about you tell us why you’re here? Not that we mind, but having pretty little ladies like you pop up unexpectedly is going to cause some questions to surface.”

“And who is he?” Inuyasha asked, eyeing the Eastern kitsune.

“Inuyasha. Shippo. This is Kentaro, one of the sons of Lord Ronin, and a dear friend of mine.” Rin said, smiling at Kentaro, who had seemed to grow awful quiet. “Kentaro, there are my close friends, Inuyasha and Shippo.”

“Ronin?” Shippo asked. “No offense, but what are you doing hanging around Sesshomaru’s territory? I was under the impression that he didn’t like to share.”

“Long story.” Kentaro began. “But it begins and ends with one person, Lady Kaida of the Southern Lands.”

“Your teacher?” Shippo asked, looking down at Rin, who had suddenly lost the little exuberance she’d had moments before. “Kagome told us that Lord Ice King found someone to tutor you. How’s it going?”

“Uh, well…” Rin began uneasily. “That’s kind of why I’m here, honestly.”

“Something happened?” Inuyasha asked. “Sesshomaru being an asshole again?”

“Something like that.” Rin said. “I wanted to talk to Kagome, if you don’t mind. Is she around?”

“She’s gone to one of the nearby villages.” Shippo said. “But she’ll be back in a few hours.”

“I’ll go get her now.” Inuyasha said. “This has got to be serious.” The hanyou took to the trees, and was out of sight in a few seconds.

“I appreciate this, Shippo.” Rin said, smiling slightly at the demon. “I’m sorry to intrude.”

“It’s not a problem, Rin.” he said, motioning for her to follow him down the hill. “You can wait for Inuyasha to get back to the village at their house. I need to get back to Kiki and Korin before long. They’ll have the hut in shambles if left alone for long.” Rin nodded in understanding, remembering how Inuyasha and Kagome’s children acted when unsupervised. She turned back to Kentaro and gave him an unreadable look.

“I know they sent you to make sure I got here safely.” she said quietly. “You’re more than welcome to stay if you want, or you can go if you have somewhere else to be.”

“Father told me to stay with you until Sesshomaru came to retrieve you.” the Eastern kit lied easily, giving Shippo the once over when the other kit looked back at their interaction.

“That’s fine.” Shippo said, shrugging. “We’ve got plenty of room Just don’t expect it to be a castle worthy of nobility.”

“That’s fine.” Rin answered. “That’s the last thing I’m worried about right now.”

“Well, let’s go.” Shippo said happily, slinging his arm back around Rin’s small waist. “Kaede and the kids will be glad to see you, Rin.”

“I know.” she answered. “Come on, Kentaro. We’ve still got some walking to do, and my feet are already killing me.”

“Here, this will help.” Shippo said, scooping her up bridal style and taking off, a fuming Kentaro right beside the smirking fox demon.

“Shippo, put me down!” she admonished, slapping at his shoulders lightly. “I’m perfectly capable of walking. Put me down.”

“It’s okay. You’re light as a feather, no trouble at all. Besides, you said your feet were hurting.”

“But, Shippo…”

“No buts.” he said sternly. “You feel like you’ve been working out, though. What’s up with that? Sesshomaru started training you or something?”

“Kaida was training me to create shields.” Rin said sadly. “But I doubt that has anything to do with it.”

“You were fighting?” Shippo asked.

“Not really. I’d just work on the shields every other day or so with her.” Rin said, shrugging. “And Kentaro taught me a few little things.”

“Did you now?” Shippo asked, looking over at the Eastern kit, only to receive a curt nod.

“She’s got good dexterity.” he said calmly. “Rin’s good with her hands.” Rin didn’t notice it, but Shippo’s eyes narrowed fractionally.

“I’m sure she is.” Shippo answered. “I’ll have to teach her some things myself.” Kentaro glared at the other demon, and let a low growl escape his throat. He knew Rin would not pick up on it, but Shippo would. The other kit apparently took it as a challenge and tightened his hold on Rin, then growled back.

Rin, who couldn’t hear the sound, but felt the tension in the air around the two kits, broke the awkward silence.

“Is something wrong?” she asked quietly, looking from one fox demon to the other. The glared immediately ceased and the two kitsunes looked at her, grinning.

“Nothing wrong.” Kentaro lied easily. “Right?”

“Of course.” Shippo said, bouncing Rin in his arms to make her smile. “You’re becoming paranoid.”

“Well..”

“Shippo! Kiki’s up in the tree again, and won’t come down!” came a terrified voice from one of the huts off to their side. Shippo turned, and Rin could see a small boy run up to them. He had black hair and amber colored eyes, along with slightly pointed ears.

“Quit yelling, Korin.” Shippo said, letting Rin to her feet and walking over to him. “Didn’t your father tell you to keep your sister out of the trees? Kagome almost had a fit when she fell out the last time.”

“I couldn’t help it!” the boy grumbled. “I was helping Kaede, and she slipped out. You’ve got to get her down before mom and dad get back. Please, Shippo! Dad’ll kill me if Kiki gets hurt again.”

“I’ll get her.” Shippo grumbled. “Take these two to your house, and I’ll meet you there after I get Kiki down.”

“Fine.” Korin said, nodding when Shippo bounded off towards the forest. The little boy turned to the newcomers and cocked his head to one side. “I guess you guys want to get inside, huh? I’m Korin, by the way. Who are you?”

“I’m Rin, and this is Kentaro.” Rin said, smiling down at him. “I’m a friend of your mother and father and Shippo.”

“You’re that human girl that lives with Sesshomaru, right?” he asked. Rin nodded, but said nothing. “So what are you doing here?’

“I need to speak with your mother.”

“You want her to purify Sesshomaru?” Korin asked, a sadistic grin on his face that Rin attributed entirely to Inuyasha. “That’d make dad happy.”

“Purify him?” Kentaro asked. “What are you talking about, kid?”

“My mom’s a miko. And the protector of the Shikon jewel.” Korin said proudly.

“Your mother is the priestess who purified the Shikon?” Kentaro asked, amazed that a miko and a half demon could have such a child.

“Yep. She’s the one that finally killed Naraku.” he said, nodding. “Along with Sango, Miroku, and Sesshomaru. Although dad and Sesshomaru never did get along, still don’t in fact.”

“Inuyasha is Sesshomaru’s half brother.” Rin clarified to the Eastern kit.

“Shippo! Put me down!” came a young toddler’s voice from nearby. “Put me down, fox boy! Just wait till I tell my dad! He’s going to cut you into little bits with Tetsusaiga!”

Rin turned around, only to find a very bored looking Shippo holding a struggling, white headed girl upside down by her foot. The little girl was swinging her fists, and trying to come into contact with her captor’s body to no avail. Rin suppressed a grin as the little girl continued to curse Shippo for pulling her out of the tree.

“Sorry about that.” Shippo said as he came up to the door. “Spitfire tried to hide from me.”

“It’s not a problem. But don’t you think you should put her down?” Shippo shrugged and placed the struggling child on the ground.

“Who the hell are you?” she asked bluntly, looking at Rin and Kentaro with something akin to angry suspicion.

“Well, you are definitely Inuyasha’s daughter.” Rin smiled. “Even without the hair, I’d know that foul mouth anywhere.”

“Hush, Kiki.” Kentaro said. “She’s a friend of mom and dad’s.”

“Well that’s damned peachy.” Kiki answered, folding her arms in a way reminiscent of her ill tempered father. “Mom’s gone. She won’t be back until later this evening. You’re out of luck.”

“I beg to differ, young lady.” came the stern voice of one Kagome Higurashi.

“Oh, shit.” Kiki muttered, looking up as her mother and father walked towards her.

“What did I tell you about that language?” Kagome asked.

“I didn’t do anything, mom.” Kiki said earnestly. “Really, I didn’t.”

“Don’t lie to me, young lady.” Kagome said sternly. “To your room, now.”

“Fine.” the girl huffed, heading towards the forest.

“Upstairs, Kiki, not at your grandmothers.” Kagome said.

“Damn!” Kiki mumbled.

“Kikieta.” Inuyasha warned. “Now.” The girl huffed irritably and left to go inside and up the stairs. A Kagome turned to her son and jerked her head.

“You’re on guard duty.” she said. “Make sure she doesn’t get out the window.”

“Yes, mother.” Korin said, nodding before leaving the room to take up his post outside his sister’s window. Kagome turned back to Rin and smiled.

“Now, what brings you here, Rin?” she asked gently. “Everything okay, I hope?”

“Not exactly, Kagome.” Rin answered, fidgeting lightly.

“Sit down and I’ll make some tea.” the miko said calmly. “You seemed stressed.”

“If you only knew.” Rin said, sighing. Shippo put his arm around her and hugged her gently, once again causing Kentaro to growl. A few minutes later, they were all sitting on the floor and waiting for Rin to tell them what was so wrong that she had sought out Kagome’ s counsel.

Rin told the tale of what had happened earlier that day, along with what had led up to the attack, and subsequent murder of her teacher. When she finished, the gathered adults were shocked silent, now knowing what to say.

“Sesshomaru wouldn’t hurt you, Rin.” Kagome said. “And I can not bring her back. I’m sorry.”

“I can’t go back.” Rin said solemnly. “I can’t go back and look at him, knowing that he could have saved Kaida. She was innocent for heaven’s sake!” Kagome sat back and regarded the girl for a few moments before rising to her feet.

“Inuyasha, would you and the boys excuse us for a few minutes? Rin, come with me, please.” Rin nodded and rose, following the priestess out of the hut and towards the dense forest. They walked for a while, until they couldn’t see the village, before Rin spoke again.

“Kagome?”

“I don’t know what to tell you, to be perfectly honest, Rin.” Kagome said. “It sounds to me like Sesshomaru was doing the same thing to Kaida, that Inuyasha did to me when we first met.”

“Ignore you?”

“No.” Kagome said, a small smile on her lips. “Insult me. Inuyasha called me every possible name in his entire vocabulary within the first 24 hours of our meeting. And it stayed like that for a long time, no matter what I did.”

“That doesn’t explain why Sesshomaru didn’t bring Kaida back.” Rin said stubbornly.

“Actually, I think it does. If you stop and thing about it.” Kagome said, leaning up against a tree. “You know, better than anyone else, Sesshomaru’s reputation. Most people don’t think he even has a heart underneath all those layers of coldness, even Inuyasha. But I think different. And it all has to do with you, Rin.”

“Me?”

“Over time, your innocence and undying devotion to him made him see what it was like to have the unconditional love of someone else, even if they were human.” Kagome said.

“I don’t understand.” Rin said, shaking her head. “Why couldn’t he bring her back? Kaida’s never done anything to anger him, not too bad anyways. Heck, she even manages to get him to crack a smile every now and then. She was a good sparring partner, and a wonderful teacher for me. I just don’t understand!”

“Rin.” Kagome said quietly. “You’ve been with Sesshomaru for over a decade. You know him better than anyone. So you tell me, what’s the one thing he can’t stand. One thing he will not tolerate, especially in himself.”

“Where do you want me to start? He doesn’t like a lot of things.” Rin pointed out.

“I mean in a person.” Kagome answered. “What’s the one physical manifestation that he absolutely loathes?”

“He can’t stand cowards, or liars, or people who act funny.” she said. “Anyone so caught up with someone or something that hey become vulnerable and have an….obvious…weakness.” Rin’s eyes widened as the realization hit her square in the face. “Weakness. Kaida was becoming somewhat of a weakness to him, at least in his eyes.”

“That’s what it seems like to me.” the miko said. “The name calling, demeaning remarks, and taunting acted as a cover. Kaida was his equal, and because of her obvious disinterest in him, he knew she was not just some power hungry female looking for some high status mate. She was content with her station in life. Seems to me like it unnerved him because she was different, and proud of it. She did not want him, and it hurt his pride. She wouldn’t chase him like most other demoness’ would. He didn’t know how to handle her.”

“He started to respect her…as an equal.” Rin said quietly. “He started to care…and then he refused to bring her back…because he considered her a weakness.”

“Unfortunately, given his personality, and my limited interaction with him, that’s the only conclusion I can come up with.” Kagome said.

“Then...am I just a weakness as well?” Rin whispered. “IF it had been me tied to that tree, mangled and…violated…would he have left me for dead as well?”

“I honestly don’t know.” Kagome said. “That’s something only he could answer. But I don’t think he would.”

“He wouldn’t leave you.” came Inuyasha’s gruff voice from the tree tops above them. Rin’s attention shot skyward and Kagome smiled when the hanyou dropped down and landed beside them. “Sesshomaru may be an all around ass, but he wouldn’t leave you for dead, Rin. Hell, you’ve been with him longer than I ever was, and you’re still alive.”

“Why?” she asked. “It doesn’t make any sense.”

“Has he ever told you of an inu-demoness called Asacia?” Inuyasha asked.

“No. Why?”

“Asacia was his mother.” Inuyasha said. “She died before I was ever born, but I remember him and our father talking about her when I was younger.”

“And?”

“Sesshomaru loved Asacia more than anything. He was a momma’s boy, believe it or not.” Inuyasha smirked. “You’ve never seen what she looked like, have you?”

“No, I haven’t.” Rin said, thoroughly confused by now.

“Have a look at this, kid.” the hanyou said, pulling out a worn piece of paper from his haoiri and handing it to her. “That’ll tell you why you’re still with him after ten years, unscathed.” Rin opened the paper and looked at it carefully, her eyes widening in a mixture of understanding and surprise.

The piece of paper held the likeness of Sesshomaru and Inuyasha’s father InuTaisho, along with a small boy she quickly pegged as baby Sesshomaru, and a demoness who looked eerily familiar to herself. In fact, the demoness’ only differences were the thin blue stripes on her hands, slightly pointed ears, and the crescent moon on her forehead. Otherwise, she looked like an older version of Rin.

“That’s me.” Rin said, looking back up at Inuyasha and Kagome. “Well, almost. Who is she?”

“That, Rin.” Inuyasha said. “Is Asacia, my brother’s mother.”

“I look almost exactly like her.” Rin said, tracing the pattern on the demoness’ face.

“The cold hearted bastard lost her as a child.” Inuyasha said. “And since you are so much like her, in looks and personality, you don’t have to worry about being left for dead, at least not by him.”

“How is this possible?” Rin asked.

“Reincarnation.” Inuyasha said.

“Impossible.”

“I said the same thing when Kaede told me that I was Kikyo’s reincarnation.” Kagome said. “But it is possible, Rin. And in your case, highly likely. The resemblance is too striking. You two are closer than even Kikyo and I were.”

“He does care about you, Rin, and he knows it. The dumb ass just doesn’t want to admit it to anyone, let alone himself.” Inuyasha said.

“You’re making excuses for him.” Rin pointed out glumly. “I am a weakness for him.”

“You’re a form of strength for him.” Kagome corrected her immediately.

“Asacia always tried to be a pillar for him.” Inuyasha said. “She’d clean him up after he and father sparred. She taught him how to read and write. She taught him most of everything he knows, with the exception of running the Western Lands. She was there anytime he needed her, just like you’ve been for so long.”

“How many times have you bandaged him up after battles and patrols?” Kagome asked.

“Lots of times.” Rin said. “Cause the servant are too scared. And most of the time he’s healed by then anyway.”

“It’s not because they are scared. It’s because he won’t let anyone else do it.” Inuyasha said.

“Kaida did, though.” Rin said quickly. “She’s done it a few times after they’d sparred. The first time was after she ran a sword through his stomach and pinned him to the wall of the dojo. And the most recent was when she tried using him as a moving target for her daggers. Of course, they wound up bandaging each other up after that one.”

Inuyasha and Kagome stared at the girl in quiet awe, wondering how the demoness had managed to survive this long with the Western taiyoukai if what Rin was saying was true.

“She ran a sword through him?” Inuyasha asked, clearly not believing her.

“Toukijinn.” Rin said with a nod. “I was going to find her, but she and Sesshomaru were sparring in the dojo. By the time I got out there, Kaida had transformed into her demon form and pinned him there with his own sword.”

“What did he do to her?” Kagome asked. “Or do I even want to know?”

“Well, after he managed to unpin himself, he went full demon and they fought until he passed out from blood loss. Kaida turned normal and she took him up to the castle to dress the wounds.” Rin said. “All I know is that when they sparred two days later, Kaida was so beat up she didn’t come out of her room for a day and a half.”

“Oh, man.” Kagome muttered.

“Damn, skippy!” Inuyasha grinned. “Fluffy’s met his match!”

“They always fight that much?” Kagome asked.

“Yeah.” Rin said. “But the funny thing is, neither of them complain about it. He even cracks a smile now and then. They seem to enjoy beating each other to the verge of consciousness!”

“This is serious.” Inuyasha muttered quietly to Kagome, watching as Rin tried to calm herself down. Kagome just nodded and walked over to the young girl.

“Listen, Rin. You’re more than welcome to stay here as long as you want to.” Kagome said, noticing the pensive look on her mate’s face. “Why don’t you go find Shippo and get some more bed clothes from Kaede’s. Bring them to our house, and you can sleep there until things calm down.”

“You don’t mind?” Rin asked.

“Of course not.” she said, smiling warmly. “I assume Kentaro will be staying as well?”

“Yeah, the fox will be here, too.” Inuyasha said. “I have a feeling he’s not going to leave until Fluffy comes and gets her.”

“That is fine.” Kagome said. “We’ve got the room.”

“I appreciate this, Kagome.” Rin said. “Thank you so much.”

“No thanks necessary.” the miko said with a wind and a smile. “I know first hand how stubborn dog demons can be. You forget, I’m mated to the worst one of them all!”

“I heard that, woman.” Inuyasha grumbled good naturedly.

“Good, you were meant to.” Kagome said, swatting at his hands. “Now, where’s Shippo and Kentaro?”

“Last time I saw them, they were in the middle of an argument right outside the village.” Inuyasha said with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“An argument? About what?” Rin asked.

“All I caught was something about ‘Rin’s hands’ and ‘you won’t be teaching her anything new’ from Kentaro. And Shippo calling him a clingy, paranoid kit’ who ‘didn’t need to be anywhere near you’.”

“What in the world?” Rin asked. “What are they…”

“Mother! Dad!” came Korin’s voice. “Shippo and that other kitsune are fighting!”

“Where are they?” Rin demanded. “Take me to the idiots!”

“Come on. It’s this way.” Korin said excitedly, pulling her sleeve and hauling tail back the way he had come with Rin in tow.

“What are they fighting for?” Kagome asked, turning to her mate.

“Ronin’s brat has his sights on Rin as a possible mate.” Inuyasha said. “And he considers Shippo competition. Doesn’t help that Rin and Shippo are such close friends. It’s kind of like her brother testing out his sister’s possible suitors.”

“And this is normal?” Kagome asked.

“We argued and fought all the time.” he pointed out. “You hadn’t figured it out yet?”

“Once I figured you out, yeah, I got it.” Kagome said. “But what about Sesshomaru? He won’t stay away from Rin for long. You know that.”

“This Kaida woman, how long has she been Rin’s teacher?”

“About a year, I’d say.” Kagome said, watching as Inuyasha frowned and took to the tree tops. “Why?”

“Fluffy’s gotten himself in deep with her, whether he realizes it or not.” Inuyasha said. “I think it’s time I paid Fluff-n-Stuff a visit.”

“What for?” Kagome asked.

“Sesshomaru just watched his daughter walk out on him.” Inuyasha said. “Not to mention the fact that Kaida’s dead.”

“What?”

“Whether Puff-n-Stuff knows it or not, he’s been testing Rin’s teacher.” Inuyasha groaned. “Her strength, her spirit, her loyalty to him.”

“What’s that…”

“He was testing her to see if she was strong enough for him to take as a mate.”

---

A/N - Hey, hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please remember to review, and tell me what you think.

Later,

A.A.