InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 39

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. Only thing I own are Kaida and the rest of the oddball characters in this story. Sesshy-kun and the rest belong to Takahashi-sama. So don’t sue me.

A/N - Okay, here is the next chapter. I hope you all are enjoying this little ditty.

So without further ado, I give you:

---

Teaching Rin

Chapter 39

Emotions Resurfaced

---

Rin’s reappearance the next day was the only thing that kept Kaida from hunting Sesshomaru down and attempting to flay him alive before feeding his mutilated corpse to Ishika for a morning snack. The Southern noblewoman had spent the entire night running through the surrounding forest in an attempt to clear her hazy, lust induced thoughts from her mind.

It hadn’t worked.

Every time she quit running long enough to catch her breath, the memories of warm lips, strong hands, and heated golden eyes swamped her. Sesshomaru was successfully driving her mad...and he wasn’t even there!

Her confusion was paramount. They had argued on countless occasions before. They had fought each other to the brink of death on more than one occasion, but she never remembered seeing such fire in his usually complacent eyes. She shivered unconsciously. That damned gaze had haunted her all night. Kaida was no shirking violet. That had not been her first kiss…but damned if it was one she wasn’t going to forget anytime soon!

Kaida honestly couldn’t figure out what had made him snap and kiss her. She was no beauty, that was for sure. At first, she had suspected that her fertile period was soon coming, and that might had caused his reaction. The scents a female demon exuded during her fertile periods were known to have odd effects on the males around them. But she wasn’t due for another fertile week for another two months.

Something just wasn’t right. And no matter how she wrapped her mind around what had happened, she just couldn’t make any sense of it.

‘Go back to acting normal, he says.’ Kaida growled, thinking back to Kaze’s advice for her. ‘Sesshomaru doesn’t know how to handle you because you’ve changed, he tells me. If I’d have known this would be the result, I’d have run Kaze through with my sword when he suggested that!’

And now here she was, standing stiffly in attention at said Lord’s side as the carriage carrying Rin rumbled into the courtyard. The bastard had said nothing to her since he’d left her standing in the dojo the evening before. He hadn’t even acknowledged her presence in the courtyard when she’d come out of the fortress.

How could he be acting like such a….well, for lack of a better term…a damned dog! Kaida tamped down a growl of pure and utter aggravation, reigning in her instinct to reach out and demand an explanation of his actions. She wanted some sort of sign that she had not been hallucinating the evening before, that he had indeed done what he did.

‘As if looking in a mirror is fact enough.’ she thought bitterly, absently reaching up to rub the side of her neck where Sesshomaru’s little love-bite stood out on her skin for all the world to see. Kaida was immensely grateful for the mandarin collared shirt Kaze had given her some years ago, as it covered up the mark quite easily. After all, she’d have one hell of a time explaining where it had come from, especially if some of Sesshomaru’s soldiers or, Kami forbid, Rin started asking questions.

Honestly, had anyone else put the damned mark on her, she wouldn’t have cared who seen it. But given Sesshomaru’s abrupt departure from the dojo the night before, she had a feeling he wouldn’t want to be reminded of his sudden lapse in sanity and the results of what he’d done during said lapse. So she had convinced herself that it would be best for all parties concerned if the mark wasn’t seen.

After all, it had been a freak accident.

Something that was unlikely to ever happen again, right?

Kaida could hear the young human’s voice lilting through the air as she conversed with Lord Ronin and Lady Koto. Kentaro’s voice was heard as well, apparently adding in another quip from whatever story Rin was regaling the Eastern Lord and Lady with.

‘Get it together, Kaida. You can be pissed off at him later on.’ she thought wearily. Proper etiquette demanded her presence at the visiting Lord and Lady’s arrival, but she desperately wished to be anywhere else.

-----------

Despite the fact that she realized she was going to be separated from Kentaro again for an undefined amount of time, Rin was happy to be back home. Her stay in the East had been absolutely wonderful, but she had really been eager to see her Lord and tutor. But the sight that greeted her when she’d stepped out of the carriage quickly had her soaring spirits crashing down.

‘They’ve been fighting again.’ she thought sadly, noticing the tension between her guardian and teacher. Kaida was standing stiffly behind and a little off to the side of Sesshomaru, her face giving away nothing, but her eyes boring a hole into the back of the Western Lord’s head. Even through the glaring, Rin could tell that Kaida was tired, almost like she hadn’t slept the night before. Unfortunately, her assessment of the woman was cut short when Sesshomaru stepped into her line of sight.

“My Lord.” Rin said, bowing to her guardian as Koto and Ronin exited the carriage behind her. “It is good to see you again.”

“I trust you had a safe trip?” Sesshomaru asked, nodding to the girl and then turning to the Eastern nobility.

“Pleasant enough. Rin kept us entertained with stories of her training with Kaida.” Koto answered, smiling as she stepped up beside the young human girl.

“It is good to see you well, Lady Kaida.” Lord Ronin said, nodding to the quiet demoness. “I take it you have not been allowed to return home yet.”

“Not yet. Though I am hoping it won’t be much longer until my duties are finished here and I can return to my own lands.” she replied politely, slightly bowing to the kitsune lord and lady.

“Sesshomaru, what are you doing to this lady that has her so eager to leave?” Koto asked, mockingly. “Surely you two get along?”

“That is dependant upon what your particular definition of ‘getting along’ entails, I’m afraid.” Sesshomaru answered stoically.

“Ain’t that the truth.” Kaida muttered, causing Rin to glance questioningly at her tutor.

“Be that as it may, I believe there is some things we need to discuss, Sesshomaru, concerning Lady Rin and my son.” Ronin said. Rin looked up at her guardian, barely catching the flicker of annoyance that passed across his face before he nodded and motioned for the two Eastern nobles to follow him inside the fortress. Rin waited until the three elder demons were well enough out of ear shot before she turned to Kaida and frowned.

“Do I even want to know what’s happened this time?” she asked pointedly.

“No.” Kaida answered succinctly, her arms crossing over her chest defensively.

“That’s what I thought.” Rin said, rolling her eyes. “What did he do?”

“Nothing.”

“You’re lying.” the human girl said, a small grin on her face.

“You’re prying.” she countered huffily, causing Kentaro to snicker. The brown headed kitsune wisely stayed silent, apparently not wanting to get in between whatever was going on. But his startling blue eyes were wide in interest, and Rin could even see that his tail was thumping around in excitement at hearing what had occurred between Kaida and Sesshomaru during their absence.

“Answer my question and I won’t have to pry.” Rin said pointedly.

------

“Nothing happened. He’s just being a typical ass because something happened that he didn’t plan on.” she said, hoping to convince the girl. “Anyhow, enough of that. How was your stay in the East?”

That should get her off her back for a while. As Kaida listened to the human girl rattle on about this and that, and what the two of them had done, Kaida slowly withdrew back into her musings.

She honestly couldn’t figure out why she was reacting so much to one kiss. Hell, Kaze had up and kissed her right in the middle of the Southern harvest festival some months ago and the biggest reaction that had gotten out of her was a blush because her father, brother, and Sesshomaru had seen it.

Of course, Kaze was no Sesshomaru, not by a long shot. And she had never felt the attraction for her dear friend that she did for the Western Lord. Of course, that was the root of the problem, as she had figured out last night.

It was okay for her to be attracted to Sesshomaru, as long as he didn’t know about it! Sure, she had admitted to Kaze what was going on. But she hadn’t expected something like this to happen. She had thought that by admitting to it, that she could get be on her way to getting over the attraction and moving on with her life.

“What are you…doing to me?”

“Something I should have done a long time ago.”

What was that supposed to mean anyway? He’d wanted to kiss her? Is that what he’d meant when he’d told her that? Or was he saying that he had been looking for a way to simply throw her off balance?

“He can’t make you happy.”

But more importantly, where the hell had that come from? And who was he talking about? Kaze? That was the only option she knew of. The only he that she was familiar with that had apparently been any cause of Sesshomaru’s ire. Sure, the merchant had come by unexpectedly and wound up pulling her out of the Western Lands for nearly a week without barely a word to Sesshomaru. But still…

“Kaida?”

Sesshomaru should have realized by now that Kaze was about as much of a romantic interest for her as Jaken was. Besides, since when had Sesshomaru concerned himself as to whether or not she was happy?

“She’s not listening to us, Rin.”

Was she embarrassed by what she was feeling. Yes.

“I realize that, Kentaro. Kaida?”

Was she confused? Yes.

“Leave her alone, love. She’s in her own little world right now.”

And why was that?

Because she was Kaida of the Southern Lands, a General of her father’s army, a soldier. She wasn’t supposed to be attracted to the Lord of a neighboring land.

“Kaida?!”

Of course when have I been one to do what I’m supposed to?’ she reminded herself. Kaida realized that she was not going to get any answers if she continued to overanalyze everything that occurred in the dojo the evening before. And in truth, it made the most sense to just talk to Sesshomaru and figure out what exactly had caused the momentary lapse in both their sanities.

“Whatever he did must have been major. She’s even staring off into space.”

But asking him about it would mean that she would have to recognize that it happened in the first place. And that appeared to be something that Sesshomaru did not want to do, at least if his attitude earlier was any indication.

“It’s what he did that I want to know. KAIDA!”

“What?” the southern noblewoman asked, coming out of her self induced daze. “What is it, Rin?”

“Did you hear any of what I just said?” the teenager asked. Kaida actually flushed at the accusing tone her pupil was taking, especially when it was coupled with Kentaro’s amused gaze.

“I’m sorry, Rin. My mind was on the new shipment of armaments are due to come in today for the elites.” she said, using the first excuse that came to mind to try and cover her lapse.

“Sure it was.” Kentaro snickered, wrapping his arm around Rin’s waist and grinning even more.

“What’s wrong with you?” Rin asked.

“Nothing. I’m just tired.” she answered. “I didn’t sleep well last night.”

“You don’t look like you slept at all.” Kentaro added. Kaida glared at the kitsune and resisted the urge to knock his overly observant head in.

“That’s about the size of it. Anyhow…” she started, only to stop when she noticed a rather dark splotch on Rin’s skin, right above the area where her formal kimono lay on her shoulder, near her neck.

“Rin?” she asked, her voice suddenly serious as she went forward and pushed the girl’s hair away, pulling the fabric back to show a rather large bite mark on the girl’s otherwise alabaster skin. “Do I even want to know how this got here?”

“Ummm….”

“Kentaro?”

 220;Probably not, Lady Kaida.” he said quietly.

“Rin, what did I tell you about letting him leave these marks on you?” she asked quietly, pulling the girl’s kimono back into place.

“It was an accident. I didn’t mean to, honestly.” Kentaro said, his cheeks going rather pinkish.

“It just kinda….happened. Please don’t tell Lord Sesshomaru.” Rin said, fidgeting uneasily as Kentaro’s arm wrapped protectively around her. Kaida looked at the guilty pair and shook her head. How could she berate Rin for having such a telling mark when she herself currently was sporting one as well.

“I won’t say anything to him. Just make sure it’s covered up until it heals over. Sesshomaru’s been pissy as it is, and you remember how he reacted the last time Kentaro left a mark on you.”

“Thank you, Kaida. It won’t happen again. Promise.” Rin said, smiling widely as she readjusted her kimono to make sure the mark was covered up.

“At least not before we’re officially joined together.” Kentaro said quietly. “Anything afterwards is all fair.”

“Kentaro! Hush!” Rin admonished, causing the kitsune to grin and chuckle.

“Ahh, Kaida isn’t going to say anything, are you?” Kentaro asked, looking back at the Southern demoness. “Besides, we’re just as good as promised anyhow.”

“Yeah. Yeah. I know. Now go on. I don’t feel like chaperoning a lovesick pair like you two.” Kaida said, waving them off. She was in no mood to put up with the kitsune’s posturing.

“You’re just jealous.” Kentaro shot back, a grin on his face.

“Maybe I am.” she said, causing them both to stare at her wide-eyed. “Now get out of here. Even if Sesshomaru agrees to the union, you’re still not going to be able to see each other for a few weeks. So make use of the time you have left. Go spend some time in the eastern garden, there shouldn‘t be anyone there at this time of morning.”

“You heard her. Let’s go Rin.” Kentaro said.

“Kaida?” Rin asked. “What…”

“Go on, before I change my mind and decide to stick around as chaperone.” she said. That seemed to be enough of a warning for the two, because they turned and headed off in the opposite direction.

Kaida watched as the two of them slipped around one of the smaller buildings, disappearing from sight. She hadn’t lied when she said that she didn’t feel like playing chaperone for them.

“Lady Kaida?” came a concerned voice from behind her. She turned around and saw the head woman of the Western fortress standing there, looking worriedly at the spot where Kentaro and Rin had lapsed out of sight.

“Yes, Keisha?” she asked, motioning the demoness over.

“Forgive me, but is it wise to leave those two to their own devices?” she asked.

“They’ll be fine.” Kaida said, shrugging. “How was the trip?”

“Pleasant enough. The Eastern family took a great liking to Lady Rin. Should Lord Sesshomaru agree to the union, Rin will be wholly welcomed into the family.”

“They like her that much, huh?” Kaida asked, smiling.

“They do.” Keisha said, nodding. “She may be human, but they accept her as if she were born into her station. I am happy to say that they will make a wonderful pair, Kentaro and Rin, should our Lord give his consent.”

“Do you really think there is a possibility that he won’t allow them to be together?”

“I couldn’t say. I should hope that he would, but Rin is more like his own daughter than simply a human ward.” the raccoon demoness answered. “It will be trying for him to let her go after all these years.”

“It always is hard to let a child go onto their own, or so my father said.” Kaida mused.

“Indeed it is, Lady.” the other demoness answered. “And I speak from many years experience when I say he is correct. I had to let my own go after a while. Hardest thing I ever had to do, letting my daughters be married. I didn‘t want to give them up.”

“That’s understandable.”

“Yes, well, be that as it may, I need to get back to work. There’s no telling what kind of mess I’m going to walk into now that I’m back. Telia never could keep the kitchens straight and running correctly while I was gone.” Keisha muttered, bowing slightly and taking her leave. Kaida just chuckled at the head woman’s tenacity. She had realized long ago that to Keisha, no one could run the day to day comings and goings of the western fortress better than herself.

Kaida just shook her head and headed down towards the elite’s barracks. Maybe she could track down Bano or one of the other elites and find a way to keep herself occupied until Sesshomaru and the Eastern nobles finished their discussions and etiquette once again required her presence to see them off.

------

Sesshomaru exited the council room followed by Ronin and Koto nearly three hours after the Eastern nobles had arrived.

He had done it.

He had agreed to allow Rin’s marriage into the Eastern family should the girl still wish for it in the coming months.

And now there was a foul taste of bitterness in his mouth as he descended the steps, especially when he saw Rin and Kentaro speaking quietly amongst themselves with Kaida standing over to the side, speaking with Captain Bano. As the nobles exited the building, the occupants of the courtyard took note. Bano excused himself after bowing to the visiting nobles, telling Kaida that he would send word as soon as the newest shipment of training weapons were unloaded.

Rin and Kentaro stepped forward, both looking rather grave, apparently worried over what he and the Eastern nobles had decided.

Sesshomaru, despite the fact that he still didn’t like the kitsune, realized that it was more as a matter of principle. There really wasn’t anything that the Western Lord could find fault in where Kentaro was concerned. The young lord was a good fighter, a gifted tactician, and loyal to his family and clan. But most importantly, he treated Rin well and absolutely adored the young human girl, accepting her as she was.

Truth be told, even Sesshomaru had to admit that they matched well. And heaven forbid someone utter a slanderous remark about the kitsune or his family in front of Rin. Sesshomaru had walked in on a rather hostile meeting of Rin and one of his advisors who had mentioned in passing that the entire Eastern family were a bunch of human loving fools who needed to be usurped from their position as ruling nobility because of their deviance from traditional unions.

That was the only time he knew of that Rin had purposely, and rather forcefully, had someone evicted from within the fortress. And it had been one of his advisors no less! Of course, he had chastised her for acting so emotionally, but she had taken the warning with grace.

And then looked up at him, grinned, and said she’d do it again if that flea-bitten bird brain of an advisor spoke out of turn again.

And that is not to speak of the brawls that Kentaro had fought on Rin’s behalf when some of the straight-laced Eastern advisors had found out of their blossoming relationship. Ronin had sent him a letter not long after the first fight had broken out, apparently in the middle of a formal dinner, and told Sesshomaru that Kentaro was serious about his perusal of Rin.

At that time, Sesshomaru had brushed the thought off, expecting the younger kitsune to forget about Rin and move onto someone else. But when Eastern messengers had started arriving, baring letters for Rin from Kentaro, Sesshomaru had been forced to reevaluate what was happening.

And now here he was, regarding his ward and the youngest son of the Eastern ruling family with an impassive expression on his face.

Rin looked an absolute nervous wreck, the wringing of her small hands a telling sign of her worry. But she stood beside the tall kitsune and faced them all, ready to hear what their decision was…and more than likely ready to war with her guardian if he had decided to forbid the union. Kentaro stood proudly before both Sesshomaru and his parents, his face a mask of grim determination, obviously ready to plead his case should the final answer not be what he wanted to hear.

Oh yes, the loyalty between Rin and Kentaro was a sight to behold, and it was something they both cherished.

Luckily enough for all parties concerned, Kentaro would not be forced into stealing Rin away from her home and family, much like Ronin had done with Koto when her own father had forbidden their joining all those centuries ago.

“We have come to a decision concerning the possible union of the two of you.” Sesshomaru said passively, his eyes boring into those of Kentaro, and then of Rin.

“After careful deliberation on the subject, and thought to how this could possibly affect not only the our lands, but the Western Lands as well, we realized that any possible union between the two of you would force us to form an amendment to the peace and trade treaty that has been in effect since….”

“Oh, you are absolutely horrible, Ronin! These two are sitting on pins and needles, and you’re rambling on about peace treaties and what not, making them think we’re going to keep them apart! Shame on you!” Koto interrupted her mate, rolling her eyes at her husband’s tactics before turning to her son and Rin. “We’ve agreed, all three of us, that your wish for joining together as mates is absolutely justified; and, dare I say, welcomed. You have our blessing, Kentaro, to take Rin as your mate. And Rin, I speak for our entire family when I say we would be proud to have such a wonderful young lady as yourself joining our ranks.”

Sesshomaru watched as Rin’s anxiousness instantly evaporated, and she gave him the most blinding smile he had ever seen before being literally picked up off the ground in a bone crushing hug from the kitsune at her side. He tamped down a growl at the way she was being handled, but Rin’s laughter rung out among the otherwise still and quiet courtyard, an easy sign that she was in no way being harmed by the young fox demon.

Sesshomaru could hear Ronin and Koto’s subdued laughter at his side, but Sesshomaru’s attention was quickly diverted to the Southern noblewoman who was standing a little behind the newly received couple. He could see a small smile of happiness on her face, and he suddenly felt better knowing that she approved of his decision and Rin’s placement in the family of the East. She caught his gaze and gave him a brief nod, almost like she was trying to convey some type of message to him.

In front of him, Kentaro finally released Rin, and the excited girl literally attached herself to Kentaro’s side, not that the kitsune seemed to have any problems with it.

“I am glad to see that our agreement was well received.” Ronin chuckled, shaking his head at the exuberant pair.

“Of course there are still some minor details to work out, but the most important hurdle is out of the way.” Koto added with a smile. “Unfortunately, the details will have to be smoothed out within the next few weeks, as it is imperative that my mate and I return to our lands for the Council meeting.”

“Why don’t you two go get the horses harnessed to the carriage and have it brought around front?” Kaida said, looking down at them and smiling as she walked to Rin’s side. The two young lovers nodded, apparently still too shocked at their good fortune to speak, and quickly headed towards the stables.

“With the coming of spring also comes the shoots of new love.” Koto said, smiling at her son and future daughter-in-law as they walked away. “I will wager that theirs will not be the last union before summer sets in.”

“Of course it will not be.” Ronin said. “Lady Kaida’s elder sisters are to be joined with one of the mainland Lords as well. Isn’t that correct, Kaida?”

“Yes, my Lord. I believe it is sometime within the next few months.” she said, nodding. Sesshomaru quickly noticed that she seemed to abhor the idea of her sister’s being mated. But that made no sense, especially since the two harpies would be out of her hair once and for all once they were mated.

“Speaking of unions, when are you going to settle down, Kaida? I know of a number of wonderful demons who would love to meet you.” Koto said, smiling at the Southern noblewoman. Sesshomaru almost smirked at the way Kaida suddenly went defensive.

Yes, Lady. Let’s see how you answer this.’ he thought, watching out the corner of his eye as she quickly tried to formulate an answer to the innocent questions.

“Not anytime soon, I’m afraid, Lady Koto.” Kaida said politely, a grin on her face. “I’ve too much to do to worry with something like that.”

“Oh, come now, Leiko and Kei have chosen mates, surely you’re next in line.”

‘You’ve halfway chose one as well, and you just won’t admit it.’ he groused internally. ‘Although I do wonder how Ryu will react when he finds out that the one you have taken to is the head guard of my fortress.’

“You forget about my brother, Lord Ronin.”

“He’s twisted so far around Yuri that he can’t see another female within a hundred mile radius.” Ronin commented. Sesshomaru had to concede that point. Keiji’s fascination with the eastern kitsune lady was well known all over Japan. And word had it that even Kaida’s other unattached brother Ryuichi was in the process of securing the Southern Council’s approval of a dragon demoness who was of his father’s court.

“I’m sorry, my Lord, but I’ve been told by enough people that I’m a bit hard to deal with, even during the best circumstances. Not many males I know of want to put up with someone who…well…acts and thinks like me. They‘d have to be half out of their minds to want me as a mate.” she said with a smile, causing Ronin to shake his head and laugh out loud.

‘Was that supposed to be a slight against Sakaki?’ he wondered.

“You are certainly one in a million, Kaida.” he said. “If I was Ryu, I’d hate to see you leave my side as well.”

“But surely there is someone who can tame you, Kaida?” Koto said with a smile, easily teasing the younger demoness.

“When I find someone who can handle me, then I’ll worry about it.” she said with an unconcerned shrug. “But right now I can’t think of one.”

“I can.” Sesshomaru interjected before he could stop himself. If glares had been daggers, Kaida would have just killed him where he stood. He ignored her surprised look and went on. It may be childish to embarrass her in front of Ronin and Koto, but he felt it a fair enough reparation for the constant confusion she’d thrown him into since the night before.

“Oh, really, Sesshomaru? Do tell.” Ronin said, his eyebrow raised in polite interest.

“I have yet to meet him, whomever he is.” she retorted, sending him an icy glare.

“Do I sense some tension here?” Koto asked, eyeing the two of them speculatively. Sesshomaru could tell that the Eastern lady was eating every bit of this up. Koto had always been one to play matchmaker within her clan, and outside it as well if she could get away with it. And he realized that Kaida would be considered a wonderful victim for the mischievous kitsune demoness’ ploys.

“If that’s what you want to call it. Suffice to say it won’t happen again after I’ve dealt with him appropriately.” Kaida said evenly.

‘Dealt with him? What was that supposed to mean?’ the Western Lord wondered. Had something happened between…no. No. She wasn’t referring to Sakaki. She was talking about that kiss in the dojo they had shared. Sesshomaru was perversely pleased to finally see that he wasn’t the only one who was out of sorts from that particular occurrence.

“Should I warn the guilty party of his impending demise.” Sesshomaru asked calmly, leveling her with a questioning gaze.

“Oh, he knows it by now, trust me.” she said scathingly.

“If you try to fight with him while you are angry, you are just going to wind up right back in the same place you found yourself last night.” he taunted her, pleased to see a slight red color rise to her cheeks.

“No, I won’t.” she countered. “He got out of hand and surprised me. It won’t happen again.”

“So you say. But that is not what I remember seeing.”

“Your version of it is obviously skewed then.”

“Are we going to find out who this he is?” Ronin asked curiously, interrupting the exchanges between the two of them. “I’d love to know who finally caught your attention, Kaida.”

“No.” Kaida said pointedly.

“Doubtful since she seems to desire to keep his identity a secret from others.” Sesshomaru said. “Sounds to me like she’s ashamed of him.”

“Trust me, if he wanted it known, he’d have been the first to say something. Seems to me like he’s the one who doesn’t know what he wants. All I can do is wait and see what happens.” she finished daringly.

Oh, that was the wrong thing to say.

Sesshomaru swear he felt a physical slap in the face when he realized what she had just said. But he couldn’t tell if it was anger or amusement that had his stomach rolling around inside him. All he did know was that he suddenly wished he and Kaida were back in the dojo.

He was about to say something else that would more than likely wind up with her even angrier at him, not that he cared at the moment, when Koto interrupted with a laugh and a shake of her head.

“Just you wait, Kaida. One day, some demon is going to come in here and sweep you off your feet, mark my word.” Koto said, shaking a finger at her, a knowing grin on the kitsune’s face. “One kiss and he’s going to leave you absolutely stunned. Although from what Sesshomaru is saying, it seems like it‘s already happened.”

“It hasn’t yet. But, when it does, you’ll be the first person I tell, Lady Koto.” Kaida answered with a small smile, nodding at the other woman, apparently back in control of her anger towards him. “I’ll send a letter especially to you just for that reason.”

Sesshomaru was once again about to interject when he noticed that Sakaki was standing over to the side, a respectful distance from the himself and the others. Kaida had noticed the head guard’s appearance as well, and it was apparent by the relieved look that crossed her face when she spied him. “I am sorry, Lord Ronin, Lady Koto, but my presence is needed in the training field. If you will excuse me?”

“Of course.” Ronin said, nodding as she bowed. “We are on our way as well. It was good to see you again, Kaida.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Lord Ronin.”

“Take care of yourself, Kaida. And I will be expecting that letter soon, you understand.”

“You’ll be the first one on my list, Lady Koto.” Kaida said with a smile and a bow. The Eastern nobles just chuckled and shook their heads. Sesshomaru watched as Kaida quickly covered the distance between herself and his head guard, taking note of the way her tense shoulders and stiff posture almost instantly relaxed once she was near the other demon. The two of them exchanged a few words, and then headed off towards the training grounds.

“Am I to assume that our head guard is the he you were referring to earlier?” came Ronin’s amused voice. Sesshomaru turned and sent the kitsune a glare that he hoped sufficiently answered the question.

“Sakaki is about as capable of ‘taming’ Kaida as Kiyoshi was. And you see where that neko wound up.” he said gratingly.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that. They seem to get along well enough to me.” Ronin said, grinning and climbing into the carriage behind his mate when Rin had exited it. “Take care, Sesshomaru. I will be in touch with you soon concerning the union ceremony.”

The Western Lord said nothing, and didn’t even wait until the carriage was out of sight before he turned and started walking towards the training grounds where he’d seen Kaida and Sakaki head, leaving a startled Rin standing there to wonder exactly what had happened this time.

Sesshomaru had some things to discuss with that Southern demoness, and she was not going to get away from him by simply disappearing with Sakaki under the guise of inspecting the new shipment of weapons for the elites.

He had looked through the archived tomes within the fortress libraries, searching for some sort of explanation as to why she was causing him to think of such things. Was it a spell? Perhaps some ancient ritual she had invoked to make him feel like ripping the heads off anyone who dared to venture to close to her.

But in the end, every passage he had read only confused him more since what it described was not what he was going through. Everything he read only made it harder to define what it was whirling inside of him. The definitions of the words were not what he had expected, and he had slammed the tomes shut and shoved them back onto the dusty shelves where they had set for years. Jealousy - Hostile or envious over the advantages or good fortune of others. Resentful of a rival. Earnestly vigilant in guarding or keeping something/someone.

Possessiveness - Overly desirous of owning or controlling someone or something.

Desire - To wish or long for someone or something.

Love - A strong, tender affection; deep devotion. Affection felt by two people who are sexually attracted to the other.

Sesshomaru had experienced all of them before. He had been jealous of his father’s gifting of Inuyasha the Tetsusaiga. He had been possessive of his lands, determined to keep them in his hands as long as he was alive. His desire for power had been what kept him alive for this long as the centuries passed, and when Inuyasha had sliced his arm off in the fight for the Tetsusaiga.

Rin had been the first person who had ever evoked a feeling of concern in him, the one who had stayed at his side for the longest despite his actions. And she had told him more than once that she loved him. The concept of love just seemed foreign to him. It made no sense, especially when used in conjunction with Kaida.

But then he remembered how she had felt, molded against him in their brief encounter in the dojo. Kaida may be a fighter, and a damned good one at that, but all he could remember feeling was softness. Soft lips on his own, soft hands on his neck, soft curves pliant against his body. Sesshomaru wasn’t a demon who usually acted on lust alone, but damn he would have the night before if the stench of the dog merchant hadn’t shocked him out of his temporary stupor. And honestly, he doubted Kaida would have put up much of a fight if it had went any further.

Maybe he had surprised her.

But he refused to believe that she had been too shocked to reciprocate his actions. He knew better than that. She had been just as much a player in their little overture as he had.

Sesshomaru growled in pure annoyance and aggravation. She was giving off so many mixed signals that he honestly didn’t know what to do or how to handle it.

And it had taken a night of no sleep and reigning in his instincts to go find Kaida before he realized that what he was feeling was not going to be defined in any book within the extensive library. After all, what word could possibly entail the reactions she put him through? What word could describe how he was on the verge of insanity trying to figure the woman out, and then the utter feeling of contentedness when she was doing nothing but simply standing across from him in the dojo ready to spar with him? She infuriated and calmed him all at one time. She continued to surprise him, but yet she could be so utterly predictable at times.

What was it about her that had him in such a state of confusion over one kiss? This had never happened to him before. What was it?

He didn’t know. That much was for sure.

All he did know was that he was not happy with the knowledge that Sakaki had grabbed her attention, and that he was the reason she was still in his lands.

Whether it was his ego or his pride that had taken the beating upon hearing that fact, he wasn’t sure. He had just assumed that her continued stay in his lands had something to do with himself, not his head guard! After all, she had initially refused to even return to his lands after the attack. But after he had requested she return, she had said nothing else about not coming back.

Was this jealousy, these hostile feelings over knowing Sakaki had secured a place in her good graces. Was he that resentful of the head soldier?

You better believe it.

Was he going to admit it?

Not likely.

He crested the hill and peered down, quickly spotting the demoness in question as she spoke with Sakaki about something. She seemed to have sensed his presence, because she looked where he was standing, only to frown and then go back to the matter at hand.

Sesshomaru growled. She was ignoring him again. He walked down the small crest, headed straight for where she was standing. He closed the distance quickly enough, coming up to her side a respectable distance away and dismissing Sakaki with a curt nod. The head guard seemed reluctant to leave Kaida’s side though, and Sesshomaru glared at the demon, a look that promised painful retribution if he did not comply immediately and leave the area. Sakaki seemed to get the message and quickly handed the last of the requisition forms over to Kaida before leaving the two nobles to their own devices.

“You don’t have to act like you’re going to bite his head off, you realize. He hasn’t done anything wrong.” Kaida said, still looking at the pieces of paper in her hands

“Would you prefer his presence to my own?”

“At the moment, yes.” she answered, walking down the line, apparently counting the groups of weapons and checking them on the list she held in her hand. She still hadn’t even looked up at him, and his patience was growing thin.

“How inconvenient. I need to speak with you concerning some important matters.”

“Go ahead. I’m listening.”

“Not here.”

“You can talk here just as easily as you can talk anywhere else.” she said. “Besides I need to make sure the smiths didn’t short the order.”

“Let someone else do it.” he growled.

“Fine.” she said firmly, finally looking up at him. “Sakaki!” she called out, getting the head guard’s attention easily. Sesshomaru actually growled, causing her to look at him in question.

“You do realize he’s not the only one capable of doing such a mundane task.” he asked.

“Yes, but other than Rin, he’s the only one in this whole place that I trust at the moment.” she said scathingly.

“You called, General Kaida?” the demon asked, bowing slightly in deference to her and Sesshomaru.

“I need you to finish checking the inventory.” she said, handing him the papers. “It seems something has come up that needs my attention.”

“Yes, ma’am.” he said with a grin. “I’ll get right on it.”

“Thank you, Sakaki.”

“Of course, ma’am.” he answered, moving away.

“You shouldn’t thank soldiers for following orders.” he said coldly.

“I shouldn’t do a lot of things I do.” she answered primly as they walked away from the training field and back towards the fortress. Sesshomaru continued to lead her away until they were a sufficient distance away that no one could overhear what was being said.

“This is far enough.” he barked. Kaida nodded and leaned up against a large cherry tree nearby, her face placid even if the waves of energy rolling off of her screamed aggravation.

“Alright, Sesshomaru. You’ve pulled me away from my duties after thoroughly baiting me in front of Ronin and Koto, not to mention embarrassing the hell out of me last night in the dojo.” she hissed, her arms crossed over her chest. “So, what do you want to talk to me about?”

---------------------------------------------------------- --------

A/N - Not much to say this time, other than hang onto your seats, boys and girls, because the proverbial poop is about to hit the fan in the next chapter. We have Sesshomaru, Sakaki, and Kaze all in one arena, and everyone is pinning the other one with the blame on what’s wrong with our dear Kaida and why she’s snapping at all three of them.

It promises to be a blast! ;)

So, until next time,

A.A.

Oh, and please remember to review. I’d like to know what you are thinking.