InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ That's just how things are ❯ Death and Emptiness ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note:

Wow. I've only posted one chapter and already I have a flame. Meh, whatever. Go ahead and flame, I can't please every person in the world.

*********

"Susu! Here girl, good girl, you're such a good girl! Now sit. Stay." Kagome said as she sat down on the couch. Rin sat down beside her and Sesshomaru stood beside the doorway leaning against the wall. Susu was a big grey-black wolf/wolfhound who was as tall as Sesshomaru's shoulders. She was licking the giggling Rin in frenzy. Shippo was upstairs in her room.

Kagome closed her eyes, "Okay Kag. This isn't the end of the world, all you have to do is keep the house in one piece, ace five retests tomorrow, three exams and one final exam, leave Shippo and Rin at a day care, and then beg Sesshomaru not to kill anyone." She said opening her eyes and smiling, "I'm doomed!!!!" she groaned then slammed her head onto the couch arm.

"Kagome!!!"

"In the living room!"

Small footsteps resounded in the hall as a small fox demon ran, he entered the room, "Kagome!!! You finallly - " he skidded to a halt then turned around to see the western demon lord with his eyes closed. "AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! KAGOME!!!! SESSHOMARU IS - HE IS - AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!" he ran, jumping over Susu and climbing behind Kagome shaking like a leaf.

Kagome sighed, "Yes I know I invited him here."

Shippo gaped, then shouted, "YOU WHAT?! But Kagome!! He's tried to - "

" - Kill me? Yes, how could I forget that?" the teenager said dully, "Look Shippo its okay, you leave him alone and he'll leave you alone. No, don't say anything. He isn't Inu Yasha who'll take any chance available to kick your butt. Besides he can't get back without me and I'm sure he'd like to get home again. Now go run along with Rin and play with Susu outside. And find Buyo. NOW." She said tiredly.

Rin wordlessly mounted the giant dog and Shippo followed. The dog gave Kagome a lick on the cheek then trotted towards Sesshomaru and nuzzled his stomach before leaving for the outside. The door opened and closed shut. The demon lord and the miko stayed in the room in silence each in their own little world, finally Sesshomaru said, "I promise I won't kill anyone."

"Thank you. You've saved me the job of begging pathetically." She said gratefully. "I'll show you the guest room where you can stay or if you want you can sleep just about anywhere else on the property. The kids will stay in the other guest room." She got up and climbed upstairs, Sesshomaru followed silently. They went down to the end of the hall then she opened the door to the left. Inside was a bed under a window, beside the bed was a lamp table, a dresser on the opposite wall and a closet.

Kagome yawned, "Wake me up if you or the kids need anything. I'll be ~yawn~ in my room." She said she backed out of the room and walked to the opposite door on the right of the hall. She threw off her jeans and shirt then threw on an oversized baby blue shirt, which fell to midway down her thighs, then jumped onto the bed and fell into a deep sleep.

*********

Someone shaking her lightly on the arm awaked Kagome. She opened her eyes and looked up bleary eyed at the tall form of Sesshomaru standing over her. "Oh, something wrong?" she yawned then sat up on the bed. She looked at the clock, five forty, she'd only been asleep for an hour.

"Rin needs to take a piss, she doesn't know where to though." He said.

Kagome nodded, swung her legs over the bed stood up then promptly fell down. She groaned then sat down on the ground, "Tell me something Sesshomaru. Has your leg ever fallen asleep? For that matter do the limbs of demon's fall asleep?"

Sesshomaru shrugged, "Never happened to me. I'm not sure about others though. By the way, how far into the future are we?"

Kagome tested her leg as she suspected she felt a stingy sensation running through her legs, "Five hundred or so."

"I did not sense any demons around when I first walked out of the well house."

"I'm not sure if any demons even exist anymore. They may all be dead or in hiding." She stood up then stingy sensation gone. "Most likely hiding." She said then walked into the door, "Erghn. I hate Sundays." She grumbled. Then opened the door and walked out muttering curses in French.

After showing Rin and Shippo the wonders of the bathroom with Sesshomaru watching in amusement. She went back to her room and changed into a blue sleeveless shirt with a whale on it and jean shorts that fell to her knees. Kagome then went down stairs, picked up the phone and dialed.

~bring~ ~ring~ "Hello Food Central, how may I help you?"

"I want two jumbo sized french-fries, one large pizza half meatlover half cheese, four hamburger chickens, one medium bucket of chicken legs, a large wonton soup, a dozen donuts half cream half jelly, one large bag of Fritos, and two two-liter bottles of Coke. Oh and I also want a three packs of sushi. Please."

"Okay ma'am may I have your address please?"

Kagome gave it to him then said, "And can you add a bottle of Iced Tea. I'd like my order here at six. Thank you. Okay buh bye." She hung up then turned to see Sesshomaru watching her and the phone.

"How does that thing work?" he asked after eternity. Kagome smiled then picked it up and started explaining.

*********

Rin and Shippo didn't even move as leaned back on Susu on the floor their eyes transfixed on the TV and Steve Irwin. Rin turned to look at Sesshomaru as he and Kagome played chess. "Sesshomaru-samma! Rin wants a kangaroo!"

"Fine I'll get you one later." He said focusing on how to get the queen. He moved his bishop. Kagome ate it with her queen and Sesshomaru ate that with his pawn, and Kagome moved his rook claiming a checkmate. "Dammit! Again!" he growled.

Kagome laughed and they arranged the pieces once more but before Kagome could move the doorbell rang. "That must be the food I ordered!" She got up and opened the door she looked at the delivery person in surprise, "Hojo?" she said in surprise.

"Hey Kagome!" he said cheerfully. He handed her the bags, which she set on the floor. She handed him the money.

"Food!" Shippo said as he raced towards the bags.

"Oh no you don't!" Kagome said plucking up the red furball. "We eat at the table Shippo." She said sternly.

"But mommy I'm hungry!!!" he whined and crossed his arms.

Kagome turned to look at Hojo's shocked face, "Adopted." She said. He made an `oh' sound then sighed.

"Can we eat now, Kagome?!" Rin said dashing out into the front, "Rin is really really REALLY hungry!!! So is Sesshomaru-samma!!" she skidded to a halt and clung onto the teenager's leg. "Who's he?"

Kagome smiled, "This is Hojo, he goes to my school. Hojo this is Shippo my adopted son and Rin my - err friend's half brother's - er - daughter."

Just then Sesshomaru walked into the hall with a peeved look on his face. "Are you done yet? I would really like to finish that chess game." He growled.

Kagome laughed nervously, "Um . . . . . that's Sesshomaru! Rin's . . . . . father." She sent a glare at The Western Lord daring him to contradict her. He glared back. "Well Hojo it was nice seeing ya! Bye!" she shut the door and leaned back against it and closed her eyes counting patiently. After she reached fifteen she realized that the food was getting cold. "Come on Ship, help me carry the bags and we'll eat." She said.

The kitsune jumped down and picked up a bag, Kagome picked one up and so did Rin. Sesshomaru picked up the last one and they all trudged into the kitchen, where the teenager arranged all the foods onto platters and such, then they ate. Kagome had to tell and show them what and how the food was eaten, Shippo all but inhaled his food, Rin was doing likewise, Sesshomaru was taking dainty bites and Kagome with appealing speed for a lady.

"What is this called?" Rin asked looking at the brownish black liquid in her cup which was fizzing.

"Soda. But that particular brand is called Coke, its really fizzy, try it its good." She said encouragingly. Kagome drank her Iced Tea and watched as Rin took a sip. Her eyes lit up and she began slurping it down.

"Uh Kagome. What's this?" Shippo asked pointing at a piece of chicken thigh.

"Fried chicken thigh."

"What? Doesn't look chicken!" he said picking it up and cautiously sniffing at it.

Kagome thought for a second then replied, "They put some seasoning and stuff on the chicken piece then deep fry it in oil. That's why it looks all yellowish." She said taking a piece and pointedly biting it. Shippo made an `Oh' sound then proceeded to pig out some more. Susu also dined with them eating chicken as well.

When they were done Kagome started cleaning up, Shippo and Rin ran of to watch TV with Susu in tow. Sesshomaru leaned against the doorway and watched her.

The phone rang and Kagome pressed the speaker button so she wouldn't have to talk into the receiver. "Hello this is the Higurashi residence. Kagome speaking how may I help you?"

"Kagome! Hey this is Matilda Aruda!" a low voice said.

Kagome nearly dropped the dishes she was carrying, she set them down carefully, "What do you want?" she asked warily.

"Why Kagome. Whatever do you mean?" she said sweetly.

Kagome growled totally forgetting the demon lord was still present, "What do you want?"

"Your father - "

"I HAVE NO FATHER!!!!" she snarled savagely. "I've NEVER had a father." She repeated angrily.

"Oh . . . poor wittle Kagome still hates her Jack." Matilda sneered, "You claim to want revenge but - "

"I'm tracking him down and when I find him I will roast him alive, then carve out his heart and eat it." Kagome said dangerously. Sesshomaru was surprised, he had never seen this side of the girl before.

Matilda laughed, "Jack and Mom are SO happy together, Jack has NEVER ever touched or beaten me!" she jeered.

`She doesn't mean. . . .' Taiyoukai's eyes widened.

"Of course not. He doesn't force his cock inside ugly bitches."

"YOU WHORE!!!" Matilda screeched. "Jack only fucked you because you begged him too!!!!"

Sesshomaru just barley masked his disgust and surprise. To think a parent forcing himself on his daughter, on Kagome! The thought made his blood boil, her own father had raped and beaten her! He bared his teeth with hate. If only he had the man's scent, he would've gone and given him hell. That factor only maddened him further realizing he couldn't do one damned thing about it at all, that he was helpless, that a monster had gotten away unharmed for the damage he done. For all those times she had cried out in fear and pain in her sleep, for those memories which apparently haunted her every minute of everyday, for the pure soul that jackass had ruined. And he The Great Lord Sesshomaru, Lord Of The Western Lands, one of the most feared beings in his time - was helpless.

"Go fuck a cow Aruda." Kagome said calmly before turning off the speakerphone. She walked over to a machine beside the phone and punched a button. Kagome looked expressionlessly at it then turned to walk out the door she stopped beside Sesshomaru and said in a cold deadly voice, "Guard the children with your life." He nodded too surprised by her tone to argue. Then she went upstairs and came shortly down with a box in hand, she was wrapped up in a black trench coat, she put on her shoes then opened the door and was gone.

The Taiyoukai didn't trust the miko to take care of herself so he gave orders for the two children to stay and not to create a mess or any trouble saying that he was accompanying the miko somewhere. He lept out the window and was grateful for the cover of darkness. He stopped and sniffed fresh rain and rose her smell was sweet. He jumped from the buildings in hot pursuit of the human. He saw strange things along the way, street lamps. Kagome had explained to him previously about eel-lek-tris-ity and how a lot of it was used to power machines. But what really confused him were the metallic things that had lights in the front and back of it. He would ask Kagome later.

He caught sight of her peddling fast on her bike she seemed focused on one thing only, though he knew not what. He decided just to follow her to keep her safe. She peddled all the way across town not stopping for breath even though he knew her leg's were aching. She peddled to a suburban area and up a steep hill towards the only house on the hill. She braked then jumped out and threw her bike in the bushes. She walked up to a house, it looked like all the other houses, modern, but bleak. Sesshomaru landed on the opposite side of the street on a tree. She paused at the door then pulled out a hairpin, she stuck it into the door lock and it opened. Sesshomaru was impressed.

She walked in closing the door but not locking it. The demon waited a moment before speeding down and entering the building himself. The Western Lord walked silently thanking the gods that he decided to leave his armor. He heard a muffled scream coming from upstairs he quickly ducked into the shadows and Kagome appeared at the top of the stairs and pushed a man down it. The man was as tall as Kagome and had a fat round stomach, the man's hands were tied tightly and his mouth was gagged. The miko slid down the banister and held a black thing in her hand. "Get up Jack." She said emotionlessly. He got up and she kicked him down, "Get up Jack." She said sadistically. He got up again and she punched him hard on the nose he fell down again, "Get up Jack."

Sesshomaru gaped in surprise he had never ever seen her this way. She was being sadistic and cruel and she knew it.

Kagome kicked the man into the living room. Suddenly the black thing in her hand shot out a bullet of some sort. It hit the man's leg and his muffled screams were pointless. She went to the fireplace and lit a match then threw it in, she turned her eyes were devoid of all emotion except malice. "Get up Jack." She said. He got up and she pushed him towards the fireplace, she grabbed his neck and all of the sudden he went limp. "I've now paralyzed you Jack, you can still feel pain in your body but you will not be able to do anything about it." She said then pushed him into the large fireplace. She closed the fire screen, "Remember the song you used to sing to me while you beat me? You may have forgotten but I haven't. I haven't been able to sing or listen to that song without remembering. Let me sing it to you while you die."

"Yankee Doodle went to town riding on a pony. Stuck feather on his head and called it macaroni." She hummed the rest as if happy. "Well I'm off to kill your new family. C-ya in hell!" she said easily as if she were merely saying goodbye to her friends. She jogged upstairs and Sesshomaru followed silently. He observed quietly as Kagome slit Jack's mate's neck then set it on fire. The miko walked to another room and he witnessed as she tied the girl up tight and gagged her, the girl was anything but hideous. She was ugly and he knew that that had to be Matilda. Matilda woke up and started screaming in a muffled voice.

"Hello Matilda, dearest. Bye bye bitch." She said dumping kerosene all of her then Kagome lit a match, "Bye bye." She threw it at her and closed the door calmly as if no one was burning alive on the other side. She walked down stairs again then back into the living room. The demon lord followed. She walked into the living room. She stood before the fireplace then said, "After three years four months two weeks five days eight hours and twenty seconds I have found you, killed you, murdered your family, and avenged Kip-kip. I have avenged all of those people whom you've hurt - including me. I hate you, father." She said spitting out the last word as if it were a curse.

Sesshomaru was going to slip out behind her but when she reached the doorway she looked at him quietly, "You followed me. Thank you, I never would've had the guts to do that if you hadn't followed me. I would've let the bastards live." She said quietly. She walked outside and Sesshomaru followed closely, she walked to her bike and took out a tank of kerosene she took it the front of the house and unscrewed the lid. She weakly splashed it on the porch, she paused taking breath when she saw the demon take the tank and splash the liquid onto the front. She looked at him gratefully she took the tank and tossed it in the house, she lit a match then threw it. She watched mildly as the flames ignited, already there was fire coming from upstairs. She stayed and watched the flames.

"Let us go now." Sesshomaru said taking the miko by the hand and gently leading her away. He sighed gratefully as she complied. He went to her bike and told her to hold onto it, Kagome held it and felt Sesshomaru wrap a hand around her waist then they were flying. `Damn! If only I had my left arm . . . . . ` he thought cursing.

"I killed him. He's gone." Kagome said quietly, "He's hurt mom, Sota, Grandpa and Kip-kip. He killed Kip-kip. I avenged her. So why do I feel so empty?" she murmured.