InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ That's Show Business ❯ Hospital Blues ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or Bubba Gump's.

chihiro-san: Howdy, y'all! Guess what? I have a fat BOOK REPORT DUE ON MONDAY! Ohmygawd, ohmygawd, ohmygawd! I'm gonna die! *whimper*whimper*… heeeeellllllpppppp meeeeeee! *whine*….huuuuuuuuhh….huuuuuuuuuuhhh…I'm hyperventilating! AAAAAAA!!! Okay, on with the show.

~*~*~*~

He grudgingly opened his eyes, but when he did, all he saw was the color white. Inu Yasha looked around the pearly room before his surroundings swirled and pitched. `Oh man…I'm gonna…uh…' Thankfully, he was resting on a makeshift bed on the tiles of a bathroom. He crawled over to the toilet and heaved for a good half an hour. When every offending article was out of his stomach, he slumped back down onto his "bed" which was, in actuality, just a pile of blankets. Either way, it was comfy, warm, and he needed to lie down. `So this is what a hangover feels like,' he thought. He didn't know what had moved him to drink last night; he hated alcohol. But for some odd reason, Kagome made him nervous, and the more he drank that wine, the more relaxed he became…'Kagome!'

He stood on shaky feet and stumbled out of the bathroom, only to be blinded by the morning's light that was streaming through the portholes. He was in his boat. `How did I get here?' He looked around wildly until he found what he was looking for. Noiselessly, he slid the v-berth's door open and saw that Kagome was fast asleep in her bed. Even with the excruciating pounding in his head, Inu Yasha smiled. She was so angelic when she was asleep. He reached out a claw and ran it through her ebony-colored hair. She wrinkled her nose, turned in her sleep, and muttered something about `dancing purple hippos'. He tried not to laugh out loud, but a small chortle escaped his lips. Kagome's eyes fluttered open. She turned to open her door, but found that it was already open.

"Good morning," she said. Inu Yasha clasped his pounding head with a clawed hand and furrowed his brow.

"No it isn't," he groaned.

"Probably not for you. You drank most of that bottle, and that reminds me; I thought you didn't drink."

"Not usually. Maybe wine with dinner on special occasions." He sat down on one of the settees and Kagome followed.

"We didn't have dinner." He glared at her from behind his fingers.

"I know that we didn't have dinner."

"And it wasn't a special occasion."

"Maybe not for you." She started and gaped at him.

"What?" she gasped. He turned a bright red, then a pale green.

"Um…excuse me." Without a passing glance, he dashed off to the bathroom, threw open the door, and yakked up in the toilet bowl. After about ten minutes, he returned, wiping his mouth.

"Sorry about that," he said, sitting down next to her.

"No problem. Better in the bathroom than on me." He laughed half-heartedly and paused.

"So…um, this is kind of awkward, but…I didn't-I mean, we-no, I…I didn't hurt you last night, did I?" A strange expression, almost pleading, was in his eyes. Kagome was forced to look away.

"No. Nothing happened."

"Kagome, I'm an actor. What happened?"

"Nothing."

"What happened?"

"NOTHING, OKAY?!" He jumped in surprise. She didn't look like it, but that girl was a tempest in a teapot.

"Well, for whatever did happen," he said, taking one of her hands in both of his, "I'm sorry." He smiled at her in such a way that Kagome thought that she would be running to the bathroom in a minute. He was so sweet sometimes, not to mention the fact that he was hecka-bloody gorgeous. Just the sight of him smiling at her turned her insides into goo, but in one second's time the goo suddenly morph into butterflies. She took a labored breath and squeezed one of his hands.

"I'll be okay," she said.

"But not now."

"No. Not now."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to…I don't know how to…tell Kouga that I don't love him anymore." Inu Yasha's face remained solid, but inside he was jumping for joy. `HELL YEAH! WOOOOOOHOO! YEAH! That'll wipe the smile off of your face, you stupid little punk!' Through his mental celebration, he remained calm and almost unconcerned. He bent over and kissed her on the cheek.

"Don't worry; you'll think of something nice to say." Getting to his feet, he wandered over to the other side of the room and slipped into his berth. When his door closed, Kagome literally melted onto the seat. `Wow…what was that? I think that he's sober, but after THAT? Hmmm…he's always one to surprise.' They quickly yanked on their clothes at opposite ends of the boat, in closed rooms, but even so they were both thinking the same thing: `Now if only he/she liked me back.' (a/n they thought he/she because Inu thought she and Kag. thought he.)

*

Inu Yasha and Kagome spent a somewhat normal day in San Francisco. They took a tour of Alcatraz Island, sailed out in the bay, and window-shopped on Pier 39. More to the point, Kagome dragged him into every shop she saw, much to the hanyou's despair. For some reason, she had forgotten that it was no longer the new moon. Needless to say, most of the shopping day was spent running away from screaming fans. The latest throng of fan girls had chased them down the Pier and into a quaint little seafood restaurant called "Bubba Gump's". They dashed into the famous eatery and stopped in the foyer, panting.

"Dinner for two?" A seating hostess asked. The tired pair turned to face her. Kagome nodded and suddenly noticed just whom she was nodding to. It was, in fact, the seating hostess, but she was one of the prettiest girls Kagome had ever seen. Kagome narrowed her eyes and forced herself not to growl. Inu Yasha smiled at the lady and nodded as well. The hostess picked up the menus and directed them to their seats. When they sat down, the girl gave him his menu first and winked at him coyly. By the time she had left, Kagome was seething with rage.

"What's with you?" Inu Yasha asked.

"You mean you didn't notice her?" She asked in surprise.

"Notice who?" Kagome could have leapt in his lap and kissed him right then. Could have, but didn't. `He didn't even notice her! HA! That'll show you, Miss Flirty Knickers!' She smiled in spite of herself, until she noticed that he had pulled out his cell phone and was talking quietly into it. He snapped it shut and directed his attention back to her.

"Who were you talking to?" He tucked the silver phone into the pocket of his jeans.

"Just the hotel."

"Why?"

"I didn't want them to think that we'd died, or something, seeing as we're spending another week here." She was beginning to think that he'd never take her home. They picked up their menus and ordered. The rest of the evening was full of laughter and good food. Kagome had ordered something with shrimp, or at least she thought she had. She was so sucked into what Inu Yasha had to say that she didn't even taste her meal. It seems that both were eating mechanically that night, because he hadn't even remembered that he'd ordered when the food came out. Both were so absorbed in each other's company that anything else was superfluous. There was one interruption, though. His cell phone went off.

"Oops, sorry. I could have sworn I'd turned it off. Hello?" He said.

"Who is it?" Kagome asked, fearing that Naraku was on the other end.

"It's Sango. What? I-what?" Suddenly, all of the color drained from his face. The rest of his speech was limited to `yes' and `no' before he flicked off the phone.

"Well? What did she want?" He stood up sharply and yanked her out of her chair.

"We have to go back. Now."

"Why?" She asked, trying not to let her arm be ripped out of it's socket by his pulls.

"Because Miroku's in the hospital."

~*~*~*~

"Are you Sango?" A tall, handsome doctor asked. She looked up at him from where she was sitting and nodded. The hospital waiting room was loud and busy with many waiting patients. Children with colds, men with inner problems, and women with migraines were bustling about and making a general commotion. Even through the noise, Sango caught every word that the doctor had said.

"It seems that Miroku was ambushed by a mugger, like you thought. Fortunately, the knife was angled in a way so that there was no permanent to any of his organs. We had to go in and fix some minor tissue damage, but other than that he just has some bruises and a nasty scar. He's awake now and has been asking for you. Would you like to see him?" She nodded dumbly and followed the doctor into the nearest elevator. They stood in silence as Sango tried to take hold of herself. `The doctor said that he'd be all right. Nothing too bad happened to him. So why am I still scared?' The more she thought about it, the more she understood. It didn't matter if he was in the hospital because he had had a heart attack or if he was here because of a large bunion on his foot. There was just something about the smell and the feel of the place that made her stomach turn. When they reached Miroku's floor, they only had to walk about half of a hallway down before reaching him. The doctor smiled grimly and held open the door for her. When she saw Miroku, she clutched her chest and gasped.

The poor, withered producer was quite still under the stiff cotton sheets of his bed. He had a nasty gash over his right brow and, possibly, many bruises that she could not see. Even though he was going to be fine, the sight of him so wilted and vulnerable brought tears to Sango's eyes. Silently they trickled down her colorless cheeks and onto the floor. The young doctor took his leave, closing the door with a quiet snap. That snap seemed loud enough, though, to wake Miroku from his light sleep. He sat up with quite a lot of effort, groaning and stretching in the process. He was half sitting, half lying down when he noticed that he was not alone. His dark eyes sparked with an unquenchable flame when they rested on Sango. If there was ever a smile that could look both naughty and innocent, it was on his face.

"Hi," he whispered.

"Hi," she echoed. She hadn't moved an inch from where she stood because the mere sight of him made her legs freeze in shock.

"Are you alright? Why are you crying?" Something inside of her snapped as anger rose inside of her.

"HOW DARE YOU ASK ME IF I'M ALRIGHT! YOU'RE THE ONE IN THE HOSPITAL!" Mild surprise lifted his brow as he stared blankly at her pace around the room.

"I should be asking you if you're alright! You're horrible! I hate that you're such a self-less, kind, considerate, caring, jackass!" She stopped next to his bedside and panted with frustration.

"I'm sorry."

"SEE?! How can you do this to me?!" A fresh mass of tears fell from her eyes as she collapsed on Miroku. However off-guard he was, he still had enough sense to scoot over and comfort her. She slid onto his bed and cried into his chest for a good ten minutes. When at last she could no longer cry, she hugged him for all that she was worth.

"I'm sorry, Miroku. I'm so very sorry that this happened to you. There should have been something I could have done."

"You did enough for me. Just seeing you was more than enough." She drew back a little ways so as to look deeply into his eyes.

"Why did you do this?" she breathed.

"Do what?"

"Why did you make me fall in love with you?"

"I didn't make-" His words were cut short, for Sango had kissed him right then. They would have gone about it all evening if a sudden cough hadn't have interrupted them. They turned and found Inu Yasha and Kagome standing in the doorway.

"Is this the right room?" Kagome asked. Sango smiled sheepishly and slid off of the bed. Kagome tutted at her while Inu Yasha winked at Miroku. The girls decided quickly that they needed to catch up on things and left the boys to their own devices. They wandered down the halls of the hospital until they came across the cafeteria. They went in, bought some coffee, and sat down at the nearest Formica table.

*

"And then he said, `because I can't think of a better last thing to see,' and passed out. Can you believe it?" Sango said, supping her coffee thoughtfully.

"He certainly is one to romanticize things," Kagome answered.

"Speaking of romance, how was your vacation with Inu Yasha?" Kagome choked on the hot liquid that she was about to swallow.

"What?!" she coughed.

"Come on, girl, don't play innocent with me."

"But I am innocent!"

"If you are, then why don't you tell me what happened?" Kagome sighed and told her everything. She told her about waking up in the vineyard, wishing in the fountain, Inu Yasha's human transformation, and about his horrible past. When she had finished, the coffee was miles away, cold and forgotten.

"Oh my God," Sango breathed.

"I know. Of course he was completely plastered so I don't blame him for telling me…or kissing me," she added in an afterthought.

"He kissed you?!" Kagome waved the statement away with a flick of her wrist.

"It was nothing; just a drunken fool's rambling."

"Tell me the rambling."

"No."

"Now!"

"Alright! He told me that he loved me and that he wished that he could make me love him as much as he loved me." Had they have been outside they would have heard crickets in the background. Sango gaped at her friend.

"He told you this and you don't even care." It was more of a statement than a question.

"I care!"

"Then why don't you do something about it?"

"Because I'm afraid!"
"Afraid of what?" It was not Sango that answered, but Inu Yasha himself. Kagome whipped around in her seat and stared straight at the hanyou. He was smiling sweetly at her, as if he had been in the conversation the whole time. Sango mouthed the words `oh my God' and looked away.

"What are you two talking about?" he asked, joining them at the table.

"I-uh…" Kagome faltered.

"Nothing. Nothing important." Sango filled in for her dithering friend.

"Well, if it's nothing important then why are you afraid of it?" he asked Kagome. She looked at him in an almost fearing way and stood up sharply.

"I have to go," she muttered and dashed out of the room and down the hallway. Inu Yasha stared at her seat blankly before turning to Sango.

"Was it something I said?" he asked.

~*~*~*~

chihiro-san: alrighty then! We've got Inu Yasha and Kagome back in LA, Miroku's gonna be okay, everything's dandy! I guess we can wrap up the story now! Just kidding. There's still a LOT to be said and a LOT to be done, or undone. Now I must go and work on my book report, because if I don't then I'm totally screwed. Toodles!

Ps. Hey, do you guys think that I update too fast? I mean, it usually takes people forever to update, and I think I'm just a bit overeager. I dunno. I love writing this, but I was just wondering if I'm overdoing it with how fast I update.