InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of Darkness ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 1

~*~*~

The rabbit’s ear twitched as it sensed a predator approach, but by that time, it was too late. The sharpened dagger entered between its ribs and pierced its heart.

With a whoop, the seven year old jump up from his hiding place. He grinned over at the tree where he knew his father was perched. Sure enough, Inuyasha dropped out of his tree and walked over to where the rabbit was.

"Not bad, Kiyoshi. It died instantly. No suffering." He looked over at his son. "You’ve been practicing, haven’t you?"

"Yeah. Of course, only when Mom’s not anywhere near. She would skin me alive if she knew I was still practicing when she told me ‘no’." Kiyoshi looked up at his father, his violet eyes sparkling with pride. "I’ve been hitting dead center on the bull’s eye."

Inuyasha grinned at Kiyoshi. "You know your mother is going to flay you when she finds out. I’m not going to take the blame for this one."

"That’s okay, Dad. I’ve been working on that. I figure Mom will be so pleased that I was able to catch a rabbit all by myself, that she won’t be mad that I practiced." He puffed out his chest. "And besides, If she thinks that I need to be punished, I’ll accept that. I did disobey her, after all. I want to show her I’m a man now."

Inuyasha grinned. "Okay Mr. I’m-A-Man-Now, how many more rabbits do you think you can catch in an hour? Your mother will want to start cooking then."

"Uh, I thought you said we were gonna hunt for a deer or something. My rabbit was for jerky."

"Miroku, Sango and the kids are coming over for dinner and I thought it would be nice if you were the one to provide the main course tonight, since you can hunt now."

Kiyoshi’s face lit up. He started to count on his fingers how many rabbits he would need. "One for you, Mom, Aiko, Me, Uncle Miroku, Aunt Sango, and four for the trips and the kids to share. So we need ten. Nine more. I can do that!" With a grin, Kiyoshi soundlessly headed further into the woods.

~*~*~

An hour later, Inuyasha and Kiyoshi walked into the yard in front of their house, each carrying a pole that bared six rabbits apiece. Aiko, who had been practicing with her staff, looked up at them. Her face broke into a big grin, and her golden eyes twinkled as she ran up to father and son.

"You have so many rabbits! Which one did you get, Kiyoshi?" She looked at the two poles that the twelve rabbits hung from.

"All of them." Kiyoshi straightened his back. "I’m providing dinner tonight."

"Oh, Kiyoshi! I’m so proud of you!" She glomped onto her brother, who lost his balance and tumbled onto the ground.

Kiyoshi yelped, then started to laugh. "Aiko! Get off of me! You’re squishing me!" Kiyoshi yelled through fits of laughter. Giggling, the little girl climbed off her brother.

"What’s the commotion out here?" Kagome came out of the house. Seeing that her husband and son were home, she smiled. "About time. I was wondering if you were going to get back in time for me to start dinner, or if we were going to have to have ramen tonight." She noticed the two poles of rabbits. "I thought you two were going to get a deer?"

"I caught them, Mom! All of them! And they were all clean kills, too!" He stood up and looked her in the eyes, but couldn’t suppress the glee from showing on his face. "Sorry, Mom, but I’ve been practicing with my knives. I know you told me not to, but I wanted to get better at throwing. I’m ready to receive any punishment you think I deserve."

Kagome blinked. She looked over at Inuyasha. He shrugged his shoulders, and then grinned. She was going to have to ask what all this was about.

Clearing her throat, Kagome looked at her son. "I’m proud of you Kiyoshi. This will be plenty for supper tonight. Take the rabbits out back and I want you to help your father to clean them. All of them. That will be your punishment for disobeying me." Of course, Kagome had known Kiyoshi had been practicing with his knives. Inuyasha watched him do it, to make sure he wasn’t goofing around. But apparently, Inuyasha hadn’t let Kiyoshi know this little fact.

"That’s it? Uh, okay! Sure!" He gathered the two poles and carried them to the other side of the house. Aiko trailed behind her brother. As they disappeared around the corner, Kagome looked at her husband.

"What was all of that nonsense about punishment?"

Inuyasha grinned at Kagome. "He doesn’t know I’ve been watching him practice. He thought he was making a decision to practice his knives without our approval. Which to him, makes it an adult decision. I didn’t want to destroy his first feelings of being an adult, Kagome. He disobeyed you by practicing his knives, and that means that he needed to pay the price. It doesn’t matter that we’ve known, and thought it was okay, because he chose to accept the consequences, like a man. And that’s what he wants you to see him as."

"Oh, for heaven’s sake, Inuyasha! He’s seven! He’s not a man, yet!" Kagome bit her lip. Not her baby. She wasn’t going to let him grow up, yet.

"I agree with you. He’ll have plenty of time to grow up, but he wants us to treat him like an adult. So give him more responsibilities. He’ll want to be a kid again." He walked over and kissed Kagome. "And if you want to, we can always expand the family some more."

"No thank you. Six is enough. Between the twins wanting to be adults, the trips getting out of their terrible two’s and going into terrible three’s and the baby teething, I’ll be insane by the end of the year."

Inuyasha just chuckled and walked to the other side of the house.

~*~*~

Here's the sequal to My Mate! ^_^ Yay! I hope you liked it. there is still more to come. LOTS more. O.o So no fears I'm gonna leave you hang. Just remember: More Reviews = Faster Posting of the next part. ( I know, I'm mean. But can you blame me? I mean I LOVE to know what you people think! ) Anyway, Please R/R. ~_~