InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of Darkness ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 4

~*~*~

Inuyasha gaped in horror at the well. It was caved in as if something had exploded inside it.

Kagome stared, and walked towards the well. “Inuyasha, what if the munchkins crossed? They can’t get back ”

Miroku looked at Sango. Both were thinking the same thing. What if the kids HADN’T crossed?

“Okay, Miroku, you go back to the village. See if Keade could spare a few villagers to help dig out the well, and fix it. I’m going to try to get to the bottom and cross. I’ll see if they’re there.”

Inuyasha quickly worked his way down through the rubble of the well and reached the bottom. Instantly, a tingling sensation seemed to pull at him. He sank through the bottom of the well and resurfaced on the other side.

Inuyasha jumped to the top of the well and darted out of the shrine to the house. He could see movement inside, but still couldn’t smell anything. When he reached the house, he opened the door and nearly ran over Souta.

“Inuyasha, What are you doing here? Care for something to eat?” Souta asked on his way to the kitchen. Souta was 19 now, and also the priest to the shrine.

“No thanks, Souta. Are the munchkins here?”

“Uh, should they be?”

That was all the answer that Inuyasha needed. He headed outside and walked towards the well. “Inuyasha What’s happened?”

Never stopping on his way to the well, Inuyasha quickly told Souta the story. “I need to find them. Kagome, Sango and Miroku are really worried and we don’t even know where they could have gone.”

“Sorry I can’t help. When you find them, bring them for a visit. I want to see that they’re okay.”

“Okay.” Inuyasha jumped down the well and emerged back in his time. He heard voices coming from the top of the well.

“Don’t start working on the well, yet Inuyasha isn’t back yet and you might cave in the well and he won’t be able to get back ”

“Yes, Lady Kagome.”

“Do you think he’ll be back soon?” Miroku’s muffled voice asked.
“I am back. But the kids aren’t there. Any ideas on where they might be headed?” Inuyasha said as he climbed his way out of the well.

“Kohaku’s following their trail with Sango right now. We should go after them.” Miroku turned and started for the woods when Sango and Kohaku came back out. “I thought you were following their trail?”

“We were. But it ended about 7 miles from here. Right outside the woods. Sorry.” Kohaku looked at his brother-in-law in apology.

“It’s alright. Don’t worry about it. I have an idea on how we can find them, but it’s up to Inuyasha...” Miroku looked over at the hanyou. Kagome, Sango, and Kohaku looked in question between the two.

“Whatever it is, I’m for it. I’ll do whatever I need to to find the kids.”

“Even ask for Kouga’s help?”

Inuyasha looked incredulously at Miroku. “You’ve gotta be kidding. Me, ask for the fleabag’s help? No a-” Inuyasha looked at Kagome’s tired and fearful face and sighed. “Alright. Let’s go. Heck, who knows? They might even have gone there.”

~*~*~

Kiyoshi was exhausted. He had found the village before any of the others woke up, and had tried to find someone willing to show charity to 9 little kids, but all he got was doors slammed in his face. So he reverted to stealing what they needed. ‘Mom is SO going to ground me.’

He had stolen 5 big blankets that were hanging up on lines. Airing them out for the approaching winter, no doubt. He also broke into a barn and stole a bucket full of milk for Teito. But that was it.

After he returned to the hiding spot and brought the blankets and milk, he went off to do some hunting. He managed to get four rabbits in half an hour. After the morning hunt he proceeded to drag the heavy sled onto the road and headed west. He estimated it was nearly ten o’clock before Midori woke up. At that point they had entered another forest.

Kiyoshi dragged the sled off the trail and into the brush on the side of the path. He started a fire to cook the rabbits for breakfast. Midori, being a little chatterbox, woke the others including Aiko.

“I can’t believe you let me sleep. You said you were gonna wake me up ” Aiko scowled at him.

“I know, but you were really tired and one of us should be relatively awake to take care of the others.” Kiyoshi yawned as he took a bite out of the rabbit.

“Um, Kiyoshi? Where’d this stuff come from?”

“I got it at that village on the other side of the woods.”

“How’d you do that? We don’t have any money.”

“....”
“Kiyoshi How’d you get this stuff?” Aiko locked her golden eyes on his violet ones and refused to look away until he answered.

“They gave it to me, alright? Jeeze, you’re worse than Mom ”

Aiko sniffed and brushed her bangs away from her face. “I don’t believe you.”

“Fine Don’t believe me See if I-” Kiyoshi fell silent as his sharp hearing picked up the sound of footsteps. He hushed the little kids and signaled Aiko to grab one of the ropes. The quietly dragged the sled away from the road and hid in the brush.

Soldiers marched by, scanning the woods around them for anything suspicious. They never noticed the nine little kids hiding ten feet from them.

After they passed Kiyoshi let out a breath. He signaled to Aiko to help him pull the sled. After about an hour of traveling, Aiko cleared her throat.

“So where are we going?”

“To the western lands.”

Aiko stumbled. “Are you sure? I mean dad told us that our uncle wasn’t very nice.”

“Yeah, but we need his help. I don’t want that big demon to hurt Uncle Kouga or Uncle Shippou, so we can’t go to them. He’s the only one strong enough to fight that demon. Dad even said that he was strong; he can turn into a big white dog, probably bigger than that demon that’s chasing us.”

“Okay... but we don’t even know his name. What are we supposed to call him? Uncle? I don’t even think Dad’s seen him since we were born, so he might not know we’re his nieces and nephews.”

“We’ll figure all that out later. First things first. We find him. Then we worry on what to call him.” Kiyoshi yawned. He was so tired.

“Hey, Kiyoshi. I think you should take a nap now. I can handle this until you wake up.”

“No. I’m okay, just a little tired is all. I’ll rest later tonight, okay?”

Aiko sighed. “If you say so.”

~*~*~