InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of Darkness ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 3

~*~*~

“These damn demons are a nuisance ” Inuyasha yelled as he swiped at another of the small brown demons, and again missed. The little toad like demon jumped swiftly away, stuck out his tongue, and laughed.

“I agree. But we have to get rid of them.” Miroku said as he swung his staff at on of the little demons and missed. “It’s times like this that I miss having my wind tunnel.”

Inuyasha was about to reply when he heard Kagome yelp. He turned swiftly to see if she was okay when one of the little demons jumped on his back and bit his ear. Letting out a yelp of his own, Inuyasha grabbed the demon by the leg and went to slice it to ribbons with his claws when the little demon bit down hard on his hand. Inuyasha cried out and tossed the demon away from him.

Inuyasha again turned to Kagome who was just standing there, bow at the ready, looking for a demon to aim at. “Are you alright Kagome?”

“Yeah, it’s nothing. One of those things just bit my ankle is all.”

Sango came over to Kagome. “They all left. It doesn’t make any sense, though.”

“Oh, Sango What happened to your cheek?” Kagome touched her friend’s cheek. There was a small cut under her left eye.

“One of those foul demons jumped up and scratched my face. I was to surprised and he got away.”

“Are you sure, Sango?” Miroku came over and examined the wound himself. “I think you should let Keade look at it. I don’t want it to get infected.”

“I’m fine. I just want to get back to-” But before Sango could finish her sentence, a large explosion came from the direction of their homes.

“Oh my God... the kids ” Kagome started to run towards their home when Inuyasha picked her up off the ground and ran for it. Miroku and Sango were at their heels on Kilala’s back.

When they reached Inuyasha and Kagome’s home, they stopped in horror. It was engulfed in flames. Before anyone could say anything, Inuyasha went inside the burning house. It was almost ready to fall but he had to make sure none of the munchkins were inside. When he was done checking the rooms, he headed to the small shrine in the back of the house to get the Shikon no Tama. When he reached the door, he found it open. Dread filled him as he peered inside. As he had guessed from the door, the jewel was gone.

The house groaned around him, telling Inuyasha he had only seconds to get out. He came bursting through the doorway to the outside just as the house fell.
“Thank heavens ” Kagome launched herself at her husband Hugging him close to her.

“The Shikon no Tama is missing.” Kagome froze. Slowly she pulled herself away from her husband.

“You can’t be serious.”

“I am. Kagome, can you sense it anywhere near here? The fire just happened so it can’t be that far.” Inuyasha looked around the area and sniffed the air. There was no scent of any kind in the air. Which was odd. He couldn’t even smell Kagome and she was right in front of him. Inuyasha smelled deep, trying to pick up the scent of his children, but to no avail. Panic started to pry at him.

“Miroku, can you use your monk powers to see where the munchkins are? I can’t smell them.”

Miroku stared at him a moment. He shook himself, then set to work on finding the kids. Sango also started using her tracking skills as a demon exterminator to find signs of the kids.

Kagome looked at Inuyasha. “I can’t sense it anywhere. Inuyasha...”

“I know. We’ll find it. But that’ll have to wait, I can’t smell the kids.”

Kagome’s eyes widened. “WHAT? ”

“I can’t find them. There’s no trace that they were even here.” Miroku looked over at Sango. “Any luck?”

“No.” Sango bit her lip. “Miroku, what are we going to do? Between the four of us, we should be able to find them, but it’s like they don’t exist.”

Miroku walked over to her and hugged her close. “Don’t worry. We’ll find them. They can’t be that far.”

“Inuyasha, this is my fault. I should have stayed with them. What if whatever started this fire got them? This is all my fault.” Kagome cried. Tears fell down her cheeks, and she fell to the ground.

Inuyasha pulled Kagome close to him. “Kiyoshi and Aiko will take care of all the munchkins. Don’t worry. They’re going to be fine and we’re going to find them.” Pulling back a little to look into her eyes, Inuyasha smiled. “This is going to be Kiyoshi’s first test at being a man. He’ll do just fine. Now we need to think of all the places they would go.”

Kagome sniffed. “The well. I told Kiyoshi that they should go down the well if he thought that they were in danger.”

“Okay, let’s start there. Maybe the kids have the jewel. Remember that they need it to go across. Maybe he took it before heading into the woods. And you know Aiko can hide the jewel’s power just by holding it.” Inuyasha stood up, pulling his mate up with him.

“I’m sure that’s what happened. They’re going to be fine.” Miroku smiled at Kagome and Sango. They all headed for the well.
~*~*~

“Okay, so where should we go? I mean we lost that big demon, but it’ll only be a matter of time before it finds us, or another demon finds us.” Aiko looked at Kiyoshi. “I don’t think we should head for the village. I think that that demon was the one that... that...”

“Aiko, it’s okay. I know what you’re saying.” Kiyoshi sighed. It was near dawn and they made a small fireless camp on the edge of the forest. He and Aiko had been up for the rest of the night wandering the woods trying to lose that big demon. About an hour ago, they stopped hearing his rumbling roars and his heavy footfall. They had decided to risk a short break. Of course the younger ones were asleep.

Aiko rubbed her eyes and yawned. “Aiko why don’t you take a nap? I’ll keep watch.”

“No. I’m fine, really.” Aiko said through another yawn.

Kiyoshi narrowed his eyes at her. “Get some sleep. You’re no help if you’re falling asleep when we have to leave. Don’t worry, I’ll wake you.”

Aiko pouted but stood up. She walked over to he sled and carefully laid down next to Teito, who was sleeping peacefully. Within minutes, Aiko was fast asleep.

Kiyoshi stiffled a yawn of his own as he climbed into a nearby tree. Aiko was right. They couldn’t go back to the village. That demon hadn’t been working alone. So his helpers might still be in the village. Where to go?

Kiyoshi thought hard. Of course, there was Kouga and his pack. Kouga liked them and treated them well whenever Mom and Dad took them for a visit, or Shippou and Kouga would stop by. But that big demon might go there and hurt the wolves.

Or they could go the the Shrine where Aunt Sango and Uncle Kohaku came from. He remembered Kohaku telling him once that a cave near there was where the Shikon no Tama came from and that no one without a pure reason for being there could enter. But then again, Dad also said that a large stone demon that died there came back to life because the jewel had been close.

Kiyoshi sighed. Where could they go? Then a thought occurred to him. Dad had a brother that was lord of the western lands. He never talked about his brother except to say that they never got along. Maybe he could help them. Maybe he might even be able to find their parents

Kiyoshi smiled and jumped down out of the tree. It was time to go. He wouldn’t wake Aiko like he said, but that was okay. She needed sleep.

There was a village nearby that they could get supplies from. How they were going to do that was a question for later, but they’d think of something. Teito needed milk, and Misa, Midori, and Mitsuko had to have their rice, or the world would end. Naoko, Toshihiro, and Chika would also be wanting breakfast.

With a sigh, Kiyoshi picked up a rope and began to drag the eight children.

~*~*~

Another part done! Yay. Hope that you people like it. I'm getting carried away with the plot. I know, but hey! I can honestly say that you won't guess what's going on. ^____^ Just try. LoL Well, anyway, please R/R. ~_~