InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of Darkness ❯ Chapter 6

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 6

~*~*~

Kiyoshi yawned. After his encounter with his uncle, Sesshoumaru had taken them all to a cave that was nearby. Even though all the other children felt they were safe, Kiyoshi still refused to let his guard down.

It was night and the others, all except Aiko, were asleep. Kiyoshi sat near the entrance of the cave and watched the swirling snow. It had begun to snow earlier that day.

“Kiyoshi, you don’t need to keep watch anymore. We’re safe here. Nothing’s gonna get us in here.” Aiko walked over to her twin and sat next to him. “Please go to sleep; you’re gonna get sick.”

“I’m fine. You don’t need to worry about me.”

“Boy.”

Kiyoshi jumped and turned to look at his uncle. Sesshoumaru had refuse to call him anything but ‘boy’ since Kiyoshi had told him his name.

“What do you want?”

Sesshoumaru quirked an eyebrow. “I wish you to tell me why your parents abandoned you.”

Kiyoshi growled low under his breath. He stomped over to his uncle and glared at him. “Mom and Dad didn’t abandon us And it’s none of your business ”

“Then why did you seek me out?”

“Oh, that’s because we wanted to ask for your help.” Aiko said, putting a hand on her brother’s shoulder. “Kiyoshi, will you please tell him what happened. I only know what happened after the well.”

Kiyoshi scowled at his sister. “Fine.” With a huff, Kiyoshi sat down in front of his uncle. He began telling Sesshoumaru what happened in the middle of the night five nights ago.

“So a demon attacked the village to lure your parents away so the house would be unprotected and they could get the Shikon no Tama. And your parents haven’t found you yet?”

Kiyoshi stared at the floor. He didn’t say anything for a long time. “I think... I think that the demon got them. I think that they might be dead.” Kiyoshi closed his eyes. He hated even thinking that that might even be true, but he couldn’t think of any reason why his parents wouldn’t be there with them by now.

“Don’t say that, Kiyoshi It’s not true They’ll come for us, and everything will be okay I know it ” Aiko’s pained voice was high with anger and fear.

“Yeah? Well, I hope you’re right. I want to see them, too.” Kiyoshi’s voice didn’t go above a whisper. He raised his head and looked at Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru was regarding him in a thoughtful manner.

“I’m going to go to your village tomorrow to see what has happened there. I want you to stay in the cave. You are safe in here.” Sesshoumaru said this as an order, expecting them to follow it.

Kiyoshi’s temper flared. “What gives you the right to order us around? We don’t even know you and you didn’t even know we existed We don’t have to listen to you ”

Sesshoumaru’s hand moved faster than Kiyoshi could see. He grabbed the front of Kiyoshi’s kimono and pulled him inches from his face. “You were the one who was looking for me. I have kindly decided to see you safely back to your parents, and you will listen to me. Otherwise, I will throw you out into that storm and you can fend for yourself, boy, while your siblings and friends stay here and stay warm.” He let go of Kiyoshi’s front. “Decide what you want to do, because I’ll have no more of this insolence from you.”

Kiyoshi stood up and brushed the dirt off his backside. He glared at his uncle. “I’m gonna go to bed.” With that, he turned and walked over to where the other’s were sleeping. He curled up and tossed one of the blankets over his head. Within seconds, Kiyoshi was asleep.

Aiko sighed. She looked up at her uncle. “He’s normally not like this. He’s really nice and very mild tempered, but with everything that’s happening, and a lack of sleep, he’s gotten a little cranky.” She brushed her bangs to the side.

Sesshoumaru blinked. Aiko had a little crescent moon on her forehead. He reached out and took her chin in his hand, tilting her head so he could get a better look. He ran a solitary finger over the little moon, then trailed his finger over to her ear. If he didn’t know better, he would have said she was his daughter. Sesshoumaru sighed and released her.

“Just make sure you stay inside the cave tomorrow. Jaken will be back in the morning with enough food to last you all for the day. I will be back later in the afternoon.”

Aiko looked over at her sleeping twin. With a sigh, she looked back at her uncle. “Okay.”

~*~*~

A soft giggling sound woke Sesshoumaru the next morning. The children had woken up early, apparently, and were playing. Sesshoumaru tried, unsuccessfully, to ignore them and go back to sleep, but unfortunately, the children were playing very close to him.

Sesshoumaru opened his eyes with a sigh. ‘I hadn’t realized I was such a light sleeper,’ he thought to himself as he turned to see what the little ones were so amused with.

To his surprise the children weren’t playing anything. They were looking at him. “What is it?” He asked, looking into their faces one by one. His question just seemed to encourage more fits of giggling.

Kiyoshi, on the other hand, looked alarmed. Aiko, who was holding the infant, looked a little hesitant herself. Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at her. “Ummm...... Here.” Aiko said as she handed him her little pocket mirror.

Sesshoumaru looked at her for a moment longer before peering into the little hand mirror. What he saw shocked him, although the only sign of any change in his mood was the slight widening of his eyes. ‘I guess I’m not a light sleeper after all...’

His silver hair was sticking up in all directions, tied with colorful little silk ribbons. Each of the little pony tails had five or six bows going down the length of it.

Slowly, he turned his head to look at the little troublemakers. Midori piped up. “Momma never lets us do her hair and you have such pritty hair that we’s had to dress it up some more and tie lots of pritty ribbons in it and make it colorful-like. Do ya like it? Huh, huh? We was careful to be quiet, although Big Brudder wanted us to leave your hair alone, thinkin’ you’d get mad-like at us, but I didn’t think so.” A big toothy grin was plastered on the little girls face.

Sesshoumaru made no comment about the little girl’s explanation. Instead, he looked back into the mirror and back at the kids. All seemed to be waiting a response. Even Kiyoshi, although he looked like he would rather be running headfirst into a wall than standing there.

“Run.” With shrieks of laughter, the children all ran in different directions, seeking out hiding places. Even Aiko grinned and dragged a stunned Kiyoshi off to hide.

When all the children were out of sight, Sesshoumaru looked back into the hand mirror. He pulled one of the small bows out of his hair and looked at it. ‘This would be something that Rin would have done when she was this age.’

Sesshoumaru couldn’t understand why these children weren’t afraid of him. It seemed like all children, human and demon alike didn’t fear the all powerful Sesshoumaru, Lord of the Westlands. Even demons had the sense to fear him.

Silently, Sesshoumaru stood up. The cave was filled with the sound of little children laughing, but his ears, even with his demon enhanced hearing, couldn’t tell the direction the laughing was coming from. But his nose still worked, and he set off to find the little ones. He would leave to check the village after he found all the children.

~*~*~

^_^ I hope you enjoyed this part! LoL What did you think of the Kid's Makeover of fluffy? LoL I've been wanting to add that in ever since I started writing the story. ^_^ Please let me know what you think! R/R ~_~