InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The City by the Bay ❯ Another One Opens... ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. The song “Reach” is sung by S Club 7.
 
Author's Note: To all my readers and reviewers: Thank you so much for reading, and most of all, reviewing my stories! I hope you enjoy this next chapter! A glossary follows the chapter.
 
Also, I had to revise the interaction between Bankotsu and Kagome in chapter 3 because those two got carried away in the chapters I've been drafting for Bane of My Existence. I am writing another prologue for BOME so I had to change the reference to the flashback as well.
 
Thanks to my sister, Hikari, for the beta and for helping me out with a couple of the tricky parts.
 
 
- * - * -
 
"One day if I do go to heaven... I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco. "
- Herb Caen
 
 
- * - * -
 
The City by the Bay
 
By Ericedwyn
 
- * - * -
 
 
 
Chapter Seven: Another One Opens…
 
 
-* Financial District, Friday early afternoon *-
 
"And so... Let me get this straight... You, a virile, happening young man, were at a beautiful woman's house, all alone, and nothing happened?!?" Miroku stared at the young man across from him with a mixture of stark disappointment and undiluted shock.
 
Sesshoumaru, with a faraway look in his golden eyes, remained silent. The brim of his ocha-filled mug remained a couple of centimeters away from his pale lips since before Miroku spoke, and his chirashi appeared untouched.
 
"I just can't believe it." Miroku shook his head. "I would have been all over her."
 
"That's because you're a lech." Sesshoumaru retorted in clipped tones as he set his mug on the table before picking up the Nihongo Times.
 
Miroku allowed his Boss's statement to fly over his head. "Why?" He lamented. "Why?"
 
Sesshoumaru popped the newspaper to stiffen it before focusing on an article about his recent acquisition in Tokyo. "Why what?" He finally asked in irritation.
 
"Why nothing happened? You're Sesshoumaru Takara! Women fall at your feet with just a glance from you."
 
Sesshoumaru pretended to continue reading. He had asked himself the same thing…
 
When it dawned on him that the young woman he would be sharing the house with was the unknown lady he had allowed in his dreams; all he was capable of doing was to take the key and agreement and make a quick getaway.
 
He couldn't fathom why he did what he did. Never once in his entire life has he ever retreated from anyone or situation before. He was always in control. It rattled him and cost him far more than a full night's sleep as he painstakingly analyzed just what ailed him.
 
Miroku shook his head from side to side. “Sess-man, I think you're losing your touch…"
 
 
- * -
 
-* Japantown, Friday night *-
 
 
It was Friday night and the city streets were littered with residents, vagrants, and tourists alike. Music escaped from opening doors luring passersby from the chilly March evening outside.
 
Away from the coast and considerably past Chinatown, sits a cultural spot where Nihongo stores and restaurants abound, aptly called "Japantown." Residents of Japanese heritage and those who have fallen in love with their food, culture, and tradition flock there to buy their groceries, kimonos, washi, J-Pop/Rock music, anime, and mangas for themselves or as gifts.
 
Kagome, Jak, and Jak's other associate, Kouga Ookami, arrived at a local karaoke bar and greeted the small group at a large table by the stage.
 
Jak's face immediately brightened at the sight of his current main squeeze, Trevor, and immediately fell into the seat beside him to "catch up" since they last saw each other at lunch.
 
"Oh, man! Get a room!" Kouga groaned at the high traffic PDA.
 
Kagome grinned at Kouga's predicament as she slid unto the seat beside her amorously busy best friend and his lover, after hugging Nobu and Hojo in greeting. "Where's Sango?"
 
"You'd think she would have been the first one here, living just a few blocks away, but she's still manning the Karate School." Nobu elaborated for Kouga's sake, while beating the young man to the seat next to Kagome. Busily grinning at his best crony, he was blissfully unaware of the heated glare Kouga sent his way.
 
Hojo peered at his watch. "She should be here in half an hour or so. She's just waiting for her Dad. We already ordered some food and some sake."
 
"Of course." Kagome chuckled and tapped Nobu's flat stomach. "It's Nobu's tummy's feeding time."
 
"Ha ha!" Nobu threw a dirty look at her with an accompanied exaggerated laugh before swatting her hand away. "You are so funny!"
 
Hojo sat down finally, on one of the remaining empty seats, after giving his watch a second glance and grabbed one of the binders containing the song list. As he was flipping through the pages, he found a new section. "Hey guys, it looks like they added more songs to the list since the last time we were here."
 
"Cool!" Nobu reached out and accidentally colliding hands with Kouga. This time, he was hit by the full strength of Kouga's undisguised glower, and for some strange reason, he thought he had heard a sort of snarl come out of the older man.
 
Nobu vocalized his apology, but it sounded clearly cheerful than contrite. To top it off, he deliberately leaned closer to Kagome so that they could “share” the binder.
 
Kouga, in an attempt at avoiding looking at the two, inadvertently casted his eyes on Jak and Trevor, who were still busy making out. With an exasperated sigh, he turned on his seat to find a better view—the door. 'Should have gone home...'
 
"Oh, Kami-sama! Look at that!" Kagome exclaimed as she pointed to one of the songs.
 
"Wow! I can't believe it!" Nobu laughed.
 
"What?" Jak asked, when he took a breather. He pulled away from Trevor and leaned in to his right, obscuring Kagome, to check out Nobu's binder, and then unceremoniously shrieked! "Oh, Kami-sama!"
 
"Is someone going to tell me why everyone is screeching like banshees over here?" Sango smirked as she snuck in on them.
 
"What page are you guys on?" Hojo frowned as he continued his hopeless scanning through pages of song titles.
 
"They have our song, "Reach,” on page 28!" Jak said excitedly.
 
"No way!" Sango exclaimed and ran to a spot behind Nobu and Kagome's chair to look over their shoulders.
 
"That is so cool!" Hojo exclaimed when he turned to the 28th page.
 
During the commotion, Kouga met Trevor's confused gaze and mouthed, "Do you know what they are talking about?"
 
Trevor shrugged his shoulders and straightened his shirt front. "No idea, whatsoever."
 
"You know what that means!" Jak jumped out of his seat. "We have to sing it..."
 
"For old time's sake." Kagome completed.
 
"I'll take care of it." Jak rushed up to the hostess, signed them up, and nearly skipped back to the table.
 
When the hostess called out Jak's name and the song "Reach," the members of the defunct Full Circle rose and nearly ran to the stage in excitement. They haven't sung together for nearly eight years.
 
Nobu took the center mark with purpose and grabbed one of the three microphones. Kagome and Sango flanked him on either side, and each one took one of the two remaining mikes. Jak took up shop beside Kagome while Hojo turned one of the monitors towards Sango and himself at stage right.
 
Jak and Kagome nearly couldn't contain themselves as they nearly jumped with excitement when the first note introduced the song.
 
Sango beamed as she began the first set. While her eyes drifted towards the monitor for the lyrics, she found, in delightful surprise, that she could still recall each and every word of the song.
 
-*-
When the world, leaves you feeling blue
You can count on me, I will be there for you
-*-
 
Sango held out the mike to Hojo, who pulled it closer to his mouth. As he did so, Jak, Kagome, and Nobu clapped their hands to the beat of the song and stepped from side to side; encouraging the audience to do so as well.
 
-*-
When it seems, all your hopes and dreams
Are a million miles away, I will re-assure you
-*-
 
Together, Full Circle sang the next stanza as if they had never stopped singing together at all... as if they were in one of their venues... Their enthusiasm brought more people on their feet to clap to the music, at the very least.
 
Trevor grinned up at Jak as he encouraged the group. "You guys, Rock!"
 
-*-
We've got to all stick together
Good friends, there for each other
Never ever forget that
-*-
 
When the next line rolled in, they sang the words to each other.
 
-*-
I've got you and you've got me, so
-*-
 
As the fab five bellowed out the chorus, they brought their available arm up each time they sang the part, "Reach for the stars."
 
-*-
Reach for the stars
Climb every mountain higher
Reach for the stars
Follow your hearts desire
Reach for the stars
And when that rainbow's shining over you
That's when your dreams will all come true
-*-
 
Hojo played air drums during the space between the chorus and the next stanza, bringing Sango and Kagome to near giggles.
 
Kouga's eyes continually found their way to his co-worker, watching the interesting display of emotions and expressions that crossed her face. When Nobu began to sing to Kagome, he felt a slight pang of jealousy, and he frowned in frustration.
 
-*-
There's a place waiting just for you (waiting just for you)
-*-
 
Kagome echoed softly, as she provided the secondary vocals while the rest hummed in the background.
 
-*-
It's a special place where your (dreams all come true)
-*-
 
Nobu continued, edging closer to Kagome and singing to her as if she was the only person in the room, just to tease the already scowling Kouga, earning him an odd look from Kagome.
 
Nobu twirled Kagome so that her back was against his chest and rested his cheek against hers as he sang, and Kagome once again echoed his lines.
 
-*-
Fly away (fly Away), swim the ocean blue (swim the ocean blue)
-*-
 
Nobu swayed them both from side to side, and Kagome played along.
 
-*-
Drive that open road
-*-
 
And the two young people sang the last part as a duet…
 
-*-
Leave the past behind you
-*-
 
Nobu and Kagome separated to sing the next parts of the song together as a group.
 
-*-
Don't stop gotta keep moving
Your hopes have gotta keep building
Never ever forget that
I've got you and you've got me, so
 
Reach for the stars
Climb every mountain higher
Reach for the stars
Follow your hearts desire
Reach for the stars
And when that rainbow's shining over you
That's when your dreams will all come true
-*-
 
Jak stepped forward, grabbing the mike from the distracted Kagome, when his turn came up, while the rest of the grouped hummed behind him. Jak thought he heard a shriek from the audience during his set and nearly faltered. He had to check the monitor for his marker, just in case.
 
-*-
Don't believe in all that you've been told
The sky's the limit you can reach your goal
No-one knows just what the future holds
There ain't nothing you can't be
There's a whole world at your feet
I said reach
-*-
 
Jak returned to the group line as Kagome's part neared. The rest of the group stopped clapping to snap their fingers during their friend's part, calling out "reach" after the first two lines.
 
-*-
Climb every mountain (reach)
Reach for the moon (reach)
Follow that rainbow
And your dreams will all come true
-*-
 
Nobu jokingly stepped away from Kagome when she belted out the last line of her stanza, earning him a playful swat on his arm. Hojo and Sango exchanged some eye rolling at their younger friends' antics before the entire group broke out with the chorus.
 
During the repeat of the chorus, a shriek rang out so loudly that no one on the stage or audience missed. Every eye scanned the entertainment bar to find out if anything was amiss. One by one, each performer found a young woman in a red sweater, jumping up and down, waving her arms about, calling out Full Circle's name. Sango learned forward slightly, caught Jak's eye, and grinned.
 
When the song ended, Full Circle bowed to the applauding patrons and descended the stage. As they did so, the woman in the red sweater caught up with them before they could even make it to their nearby table.
 
"Oh my gosh! I used to buy your albums and go to your concerts when I was in Junior High! I can't believe Full Circle is here!" She continued to shriek, to Jak's consternation. She held out a napkin. "Can I have your autographs?!"
 
Nobu stepped forward immediately, pushing Kagome and Jak, none too gently, out of his way, as he gave the young woman one of his “playa” face. "Sure." He held out his empty hand up in the air, as if waiting for the pen fairy to drop by and place a pen in his hand. "What's your name?"
 
Sango rolled her eyes as Hojo slid a pen into his friend's eager hand.
 
"Aya" The woman who looked just slightly younger than Nobu replied, her ponytail bounced up and down behind her like a happy puppy's tail. "Aya Tomori." While Nobu signed her napkin, she started to cop a hug from each member of the group.
 
Kouga turned to Trevor as he watched the small group being mauled by a diminutive woman barely five feet tall. "Did you know?"
 
Trevor shook his head. "No, not really. Jak did mention that they were in a band in Japan when they were in school before moving here. I didn't know that they were popular and had rabid fans, though." He chuckled as his discomfited boyfriend bravely bore a bear hug from the complete stranger, and a woman at that.
 
Hojo smiled. "What are the odds of this?" He asked out loud when he was steady enough on his feet after being yanked down from the steps for a hug.
 
"Unbelievable." Sango grinned, as she imprinted the fifth signature on the wrinkled, ink-stained paper.
 
"Are you guys reuniting the band again?" Aya asked, hope bursting like fireworks from her eyes.
 
No, we just saw our song and became nostalgic." Sango replied as she handed the napkin back to Aya.
 
"It was nice singing together again, though." Kagome smiled mistily.
 
"That's too bad... You guys were... are still great!" Aya said as she gripped the napkin to her chest.
 
"Why don't you sit with us?" Nobu suggested.
 
"Can my friends join too?" Aya asked excitedly, as she pointed to a small group of young office ladies near one side of the room.
 
"Sure, the more, the merrier." Nobu smiled hugely, as he waved the girls over.
 
- * -
 
-* Japantown, Saturday morning *-
 
 
"Thank you so much for letting me sleep over, Sango." Kagome chimed as she took a last sip of her tea and stood up to put on her coat.
 
"You don't have to thank me, Kagome-chan. You're always welcome here." Sango replied as she followed her friend towards the living room. "Are you sure you want to take the bus? I can give you a ride."
 
"Positive, besides don't you need to open the Karate school this morning? I'll be fine. It's not like I've never taken a bus before, you know."
 
"Well, duh. I know that." Sango muttered as Kagome pulled the door open. "Call me as soon as you get home, okay?"
 
"Hai, 'Kaasan." Kagome giggled as she crossed the threshold. She chuckled upon seeing Sango's glare when she glanced back.
 
Sango waited until Kagome was no longer in view before she closed the door. She recalled the private conversation she had with Jak last night before they left the karaoke bar. They were both concerned about the stranger that would be living in Kagome's house. She had been thinking about his suggestion since he made it and it played in her mind like a broken record as she walked to the window to watch Kagome wait at the bus stop.
 
Soon a bus obscured her view and she saw Kagome wave at her from inside the bus as it pulled away.
 
After a couple of transfers, the last bus finally brought Kagome closer to home nearly 45 minutes later. She jumped out of the municipal bus and started pounding the pavement in her pump, turning when she came upon her street corner.
 
From her vantage, she could see the blue bimmer parked in front of her garage and her new tenant exiting from the front gate. When she was but a few houses away, she called out to him in a cheerful voice. "Ohayou Gozaimasu!"
 
Sesshoumaru turned towards the voice of sunshine and took stock of the approaching young lady. Her long hair was slightly damp and appeared darker as it glistened dully from the meager rays of sunlight that burst through the cloudy sky.
 
As she neared, he was besieged by the brightness of her smile which made her unmade face glow with a freshness that he had not seen in others in a very long time.
 
He was captured… riveted… Bare of perfecting and enhancing cosmetics, however little he had seen her wear since their fateful meeting, Kagome Higurashi had looked more beautiful than any woman he has ever known. Not even his version of her that he imagined in his dreams could compare to the original's natural beauty.
 
It fascinated him, yet at the same time, disconcerted him… Not only from the impact this young woman was having upon his growingly upturning existence, but at the slightly crumpled pant suit she wore which suggested to him that she had slept elsewhere the night before.
 
Unbidden questions forced their way into his mind. Did she spend the night with a man last night? Was it with that man he had seen the day he came to view the house?
 
He took a hardened swallow and drove the questions forcefully to the back of his mind.
 
How could this waif of a woman have such impact on him? And why was he allowing her to have such power?
 
With each step that brought her closer to where he stood, wearing an open smile that threatened to engulf him, the same number of times he pushed himself away from her in his mind. He reminded himself that in a few days time, he would be back at home in his country, safely away from her allure.
 
“Can I help you bring some things inside?” Kagome asked tentatively, a little taken aback by his expressionless stare.
 
The young woman's voice quickly brought him back from his reverie, and with some effort, gave Kagome a limp smile. “There's no need, Higurashi-san. We are nearly done.” He said as he gestured towards the near empty trunk.
 
The smile on Kagome's face faded. Somehow Sesshoumaru's honorifical use of “-san” and the nearly stern tone of his voice made the atmosphere ten degrees cooler outside. She shivered subconsciously. “I see.”
 
“Hey, Sessman! What time is the delivery again?” Miroku called out as he bounded down the stairs. Upon seeing Kagome, his face lit up like a Christmas tree and he swooped like a famished vulture, as if seeing its first meal in days, between the two young people behind his car, breaking the somewhat awkward moment.
 
Miroku took hold of Kagome's hands in his. “Beautiful Miss Higurashi… You are truly a very welcome sight this magnificent Saturday morning. We weren't properly introduced the last time we met. My name is Miroku Kenshou, but you can call me Miroku, and please… call often. Will you bear my child?”
 
Kagome visibly winced at Miroku's words and pulled her hands free. Words utterly failed her and she shook her head from side to side in response. She clasped her hands tightly behind her.
 
“The delivery will be here in about an hour.” Sesshoumaru drawled as he shoved several boxes into Miroku's arms. “These boxes need to go to the kitchen.” He told his associate with a suggestive look of “leave now.”
 
Miroku gave his employer-friend a frown and sighed internally. He turned to give Kagome one of his dazzling smiles. “I'll catch up with you a little later, young lady!” He said smoothly before making his way through the front gate.
 
While gathering the last of the boxes and without making any attempts at making eye contact with Kagome, he uttered quietly, “I apologize for my friend.”
 
“He is quite friendly,” she said and chuckled, somehow finding humor in the situation. “Since you won't let me help you, at least come to dinner tonight. A sort of “welcome” dinner… What do you say?”
 
Sesshoumaru glanced at the young woman then. “I wouldn't wish to trouble you.” He shut the trunk with a firm thud.
 
“No trouble at all. Please come and Mr. Kenshou too. I'm sure you don't have many opportunities to eat home cooked meals when you are abroad.” Kagome continued to market. “You wouldn't have to think about where to eat tonight and can concentrate on getting settled.”
 
After a moment, Sesshoumaru gave her a smile, a smallish one, but genuine. “I would be a fool to say “no” to a home cooked meal, Higurashi-san.” He could tell that Kagome was pleased with his acceptance by the huge smile that transformed her face.
 
“Please call me Kagome. After all, we are practically family. Is seven o'clock alright with you?”
 
The young man nodded, and walked with his landlady towards the gate.
 
“Oh, before I forget. I've already moved my other car, so the left side of the garage is open. I'll get the spare garage opener for you.” Kagome said as she opened the side door leading to the garage.
 
“Again, thank you. I can pick it up at dinner.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Okay, then. I'll see you later.” She said as she left through the garage door.
 
- * -
 
“Hey, Sango. What's up?” Kagome asked when she picked up her home line.
 
“Can I stay with you for a few days?” She heard the tentativeness in her friend's voice. “Maybe, a week?”
 
“I don't mind, Sango.” Kagome answered. “Is anything wrong?”
 
“No…” Her friend responded, and then elaborated. “I need to take some time off from the Dojo. I haven't been working on my thesis, and I'm running out of time.”
“Is that all?” Kagome asked, gently.
 
“Well, with a stranger living with you. I thought, for your peace of mind, you might want some support.”
 
“My peace of mine or yours?” Kagome grinned as she baited her friend.
 
“Alright… ours. Your friends need to know that you will be safe.” The voice on the other end sounded defensively.
 
Kagome understood. She knew she would do the same for any of her friends. “What time will you be over?”
 
“Around four, maybe four-thirty…”
 
Kagome remembered that she needed some Japanese staples. “Would you mind picking up some bonito flakes and ponzu sauce on your way here?”
 
“Sure. I'll see you later. Thanks, Kagome.”
 
“Thanks, Sango.”
 
Several hours later, Kagome added the finishing touches to her dinnerscape. Tonight, she planned to serve a traditional Japanese meal on rarely used hand-made ceramic dinnerware.
 
“You certainly went all out.” Sango surveyed the table with appreciation before she placed a set of chopsticks on each of the small koi-shaped stands.
 
A few minutes before seven, the ladies heard the doorbell and the two ascended the stairs to the upper level of the unit. Kagome opened the door and smiled at her guests. “Good evening. Please come in.”
 
“Thank you again for inviting us.” Sesshoumaru murmured as he stepped inside and looked around. Except for the spacious living room with lush sofas and a bar, all he saw was a hallway, several closed doors, and a door entryway to a stairwell. He surmised that this upper level housed the bedrooms. (A/N: Please visit my website's fan fic section (the URL is in my profile) to view the floor plans of Kagome's home)
 
Miroku followed his boss inside the room sporting a huge smile on his face. “Good evening, Miss Higurashi.” He said before he caught sight of the other woman further in the room . “I must have died and gone to heaven,” he said beneath his breath at his luck at being in the presence of two beautiful women.
 
Kagome closed the front door and conducted the introductions. “Mr. Takara. Mr. Kenshou. This is one of my best friends, Sango Yamamori. Sango, this is Mr. Sesshoumaru Takara and Mr. Miroku Kenshou.”
 
Sesshoumaru stepped forward and laid a kiss on Sango's extended hand. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Yamamori.” He said quietly, his golden eyes neither failing to take in everything about the woman nor the dumbstruck look on her face.
 
Sango was struck speechless. All she could do was watch the most beautiful being she had ever seen kiss her hand. She heard herself mumble and she blushed wondering what she had said and if it was anything intelligent at all. She didn't have a chance to think about it further when her hands were taken in a soft grip by the other male guest. `What was his name again?'
 
“Well, hello, hello!” Miroku grinned widely. “Miss Sango, it would please me if you call me Miroku, and please… will you bear my child?”
 
Sango, at first, gave the forward, young man a dirty look, but her expression changed immediately, as if a light bulb had just turned on. “Oh, you are perfect!”
 
I am?!?” Miroku asked incredulously. His hands unconsciously tightened his grip. “Really?!?
 
“Oh, yes!” Sango said, almost breathlessly. “You are exactly what I've been waiting for!”
 
“This must be the happiest day of my life! No one has ever said that to me before…” He began planting kisses on her hands.
 
Hey! What are you doing?!?” Sango pulled her hands free from his ardent lips after a bit of a struggle. “You're a perfect subject for my thesispaper. Not for me! Ugh…” Sango began to wipe her hands on her jeans.
 
“I'll… I'll go… check on dinner.” Kagome suppressed her giggles by tightly clamping a hand over her mouth. She escaped towards the open door. Halfway down the stairs, her giggles escaped.
 
Sango glared at the direction of the staircase at the sounds emanating from there.
 
Sesshoumaru, who had remained quiet during Miroku's amorous pursuit and had watched his hostess leave so suddenly, turned to the other female occupant in the room. “Yamamori-san, if I may ask, what is subject of your thesis?”

Sango, who was now watching Miroku warily, responded. “It's on the development of hentaism over the centuries.”
 
Miroku's face fell. `She thinks I'm a hentai…'
 
Sesshoumaru turned away to hide his amusement. “I think I will check if Higurashi-san needs assistance.” Sesshoumaru exited through the open door.
 
Miroku glanced around the living room during the uncomfortable silence that followed. When he caught Sango begin to walk towards the door, he laughed nervously and asked, “Um… you didn't mean that, right? About the thesis thing?”
 
Sango stopped in her tracks and gave him a look that seemed to bore through his very soul. “Actually, I did. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable.”
 
Kagome's guest sighed. “You know I came from a long line of monks. I assure you that I come from decent stock.”
 
Sango's eyes lit up at the new information. For a few minutes, she grew quiet as she tried to recall some information that she had recently read. “You know, during my research of Japan's Sengoku period, I read about a family of monks from the Kenshou Clan.”
 
“Oh!” Miroku's sad, droopy lips turned up at the corners. “I'm the last of the clan.”
 
“Really? You're a monk?” Sango asked with visible excitement.
 
“Well, I used to be.” Miroku brightened and nearly lost himself in the brown pools of her sparkling eyes.
 
“We should get together for coffee sometime.” Sango smiled as started to walk towards the stairwell.
 
“Oh yeah?” Miroku followed the young lady down the stairs, and with a deeper voice, he added. “For you, Sweetheart, all you need is name the time and place, and I'll be there.”
 
“Great!” The young woman exclaimed and turned to face the still descending man as he approached the last few steps. “I was having such a hard time with my thesis, but now I feel like I have a great angle.”
 
Miroku gave Sango a confused look. “Wait,.. Is the coffee invitation still about your paper?”
 
Sango turned towards the other people in the room. “This is so exciting. To think an ex-monk of the Kenshou Clan, notoriously known throughout the Sengoku period as the “The Most Lascivious Order of the Monks” is here in person! I'm so seeing a perfect thesis paper!”
 
Miroku sighed, feeling greatly dejected. `This is going to be a long night…'
 
 
- * - * -
 
 
Glossary:
`Kaasan - Mom
Bonito - A fish cooked and eaten on its own or used to make dashi, a soup stock used in making miso soup.
Chirashi - A dish with a bowl of rice topped with a variety of sliced sashimi
Dashi - For making soup stock used in many traditional dishes, including miso soup
Hai - Yes
Hentai - Lecher
Kami-sama - God
Kimono - Traditional Japanese garment
Koi - A goldfish species
Manga - Japanese comic book
Nihongo - Japanese Language
Ocha - Tea
Ohayou gozaimasu - Good morning
Ponsu - A sauce made with soy sauce and a citrus fruit (i.e. Lemon)
Washi - Japanese craft paper