InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Closed Door Just Might Open ❯ something different ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey guys. In case you wanted to see pictures I'm posting them all at deviantart under my username blood-runs-thick. I have the a picture for each chapter so far. The first chapter's picture is of Sango looking at the sky. The second chapter's picture is Kagome looking over her room for her shoes. And the third chapter's picture is Sesshomaru at the door and Inuyasha at his computer. So yeah, I'm drawing a picture for this chapter, too, I just don't know what it's gonna be yet. So look them all up at deviantart because I don't have enough megabyte space on mediaminer. I think I'm only keeping it Kagome's and Inuyasha's PoV. I still don't know if I want third person yet.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own this idea that the fic is mostly based on from the book Who's Your Daddy? By Lynda Sandoval
 
On with the story.
 
The Closed Door Just Might Open
 
Chapter 4: something different
 
*********************(PoV change)
 
It's been a month since school started. I guess everything's going ok, well at least as good as it can for me. The schoolwork isn't that tough so it's not like I'm struggling or anything. And the bright side—ok not so bright, kinda dull—is I don't see Inuyasha often. Except for classes I don't see him because we both spend all our time in our own houses. I know why I stay inside, but I don't see why the most popular guy in school would want to stay cooped up in his house all day. Whatever, not my problem.
 
So everything seems great, as great as it can be. Until my mother drops the bomb on me. I was in my room—duh, I'm always in there—listening to music, drawing. I heard a knock on my door. I knew it was my mom because of how soft she knocks. What's great is she respects my privacy to remember to knock. That's something.
 
So when she knocks I close my sketchpad and place it under my bed. She knows I draw, but I don't show her anymore.
 
“Come in,” I call, lying back on my bed with the music playing. She slowly pushes open my door, almost tentatively. Uh-oh. I have a bad feeling about this. What does she have to tell me? I decide to just let it come out on it's own.
 
“Hi, Kagome.”
 
“Hi, Mom,” I say sitting up to look at her. She seems to just be observing my room. Not looking me in the eyes, that's a bad sign.
 
“What's up?” I ask her.
 
“Oh, nothing,” she says staring out my window. I cock my head to the side as I look at her
 
“Mom, why'd you come in here if it's nothing?” she hesitates for a bit then turns to face me. I'm starting to get scared about what she has to say. She walks over and sits next to me on my bed.
 
“Can you turn that off, please?” she says, gesturing to my music. I get up to turn off my iPod and sit back on the bed.
 
“Kagome, how are you feeling?” I give her a confused look.
 
“What do you mean `how am I feeling?' I feel great. Excellent,” I tell her putting on a cheery face.
 
“It's just…I don't know what's going on with you anymore.”
 
“What do you mean? I talk to you everyday.”
 
“Yeah, to say `hi, I'm back' and things like that…but, it's just not the same.” I look down in my lap for a minute then back to her face.
 
“What are you trying to say, Mom?” she sighs.
 
“You just…haven't been the same since your dad died,” right when she said `dad died' I was already rolling my eyes. “I know it must've left a big impact on you.”
 
“Mom, it has nothing to do with Dad.”
 
“So it is something?”
 
“No! It's nothing.”
 
“You didn't even cry when he died!” I look back down to my lap. That is true. I didn't. I don't know why. The tears just didn't come. I can tell my mom is already starting to tear up, something I don't do. I slowly lift my eyes up to hers.
 
“I have my reasons.”
 
“You don't go out like you used to. Sango barely ever comes over anymore. And every time you come home you just head up to your room and stay there the whole time. Sometimes you even miss dinner.” I look ahead of her into space, letting her continue.
 
“I know you blame yourself for your father's death—”
 
“No I don't,” I softly say, still looking away. She carries on like I didn't even say anything.
 
“But that doesn't mean you have to make yourself suffer.”
 
“I'm not,” I say in the same tone, looking out my window at the sunset.
 
“What I'm saying is…you haven't been the same…and I think I have a way of changing that.” My eyes snap to hers in dread. I have a feeling I won't like this, whatever this is.
 
“I'm signing you up for student council.” That one sentence made my heart stop and my stomach drop.
 
“Can you do that? I thought you had to be elected in.”
 
“Yes, you can do that.”
 
“What? Mom! No!” I say, standing up. No way am I gonna be in a group with stuck up preppies and popular jerks.
 
“I think this is gonna be good for you,” she states calmly from my bed.
 
“No way! I'm not doing this!”
 
“It is decided! And you're doing it!” she yells at me, standing up, towering over me. I plunk back down on my bed, looking into her fiery eyes. My mom never yells. She's usually a mellow person who barely ever gets mad. I can see how important this is too her. I look down into my lap again.
 
“If you want this so bad…I'll do it,” I say coolly, but reluctantly.
 
“Thank you. Dinner will be ready soon,” she says with a still stern, but gradually soft voice. She walks out my door leaving me to myself. I turn my iPod back on. I can't stand silence. I set it to songs by The Fray, and then flop down on my bed, burying my face in my pillow. I let out a scream at the top of my lungs, muffling it with the pillow. I scream until my throat goes sore.
 
My mom pops her head back in for just a minute. “Oh and Kagome?” I wave my arm to indicate I'm alive.
 
“Student council meetings start tomorrow after school.” I give her a thumb up from the bed.
 
“Great,” comes my muffled, sarcastic reply from my pillow. Ugh, remember awhile back I asked how this could get any worse? It just got worse, people.
 
***********************
 
I stand outside the door to Student Council for 5 minutes, looking at everyone inside. I don't want to go in there. I'm not scared, I just don't want to. I grudgingly open the door and step into the classroom.
 
“Oh, hi! Nice of you to come,” said my Social Studies teacher, Mrs. Sayakon, who's in charge of student council.
 
Mrs. Sayakon is a human teacher around 27. she has beautiful, layered, auburn hair. I'm a little jealous of her hair. No teacher should have hair that looks that good. She's a little like a kid inside. She's very happy a lot of the time. You rarely ever see her mad. She's as tall—or short, however you see it—as me, maybe an inch shorter at 5'3. You always see her in bright, lively colors. She's the type of teacher who can brighten your mood if you don't feel so great.
 
“Council, this is Kagome. She's going to join us in student council for the rest of the year.” I pulled my navy blue baseball cap down and shoved my hands into my baggy black jacket pockets as she introduced me, as if they don't know me. I grew up with most of them. Plus, I see them every day at school.
 
“You can sit anywhere you want.” She said, gesturing around the room. Too bad anywhere I want doesn't involve any place in this room. I head over to an empty space in the back.
 
“Your in luck, Kagome. We are just now picking partners for the year.” Uh-oh. This can't be good. I raise my hand as if in school, technically I am.
 
“What are the partners?” some students snicker. What? They expect me to know this? I just got here, and I got here late.
 
“The partners are who you will be sticking with on projects we'll be doing throughout the year,” she explains as she hands out white papers one at a time with a pen to everyone while holding a hat to put them in, “now I want all of you to write your names on these papers so you can draw your names from a hat to see who you'll be partnered with. Once you've picked out your partner's name, take out yours, too.”
 
When she handed me my paper I hurriedly scribbled down my name and placed it in the hat she was holding out. I was last since I was in the back. As soon as she got my slip she headed up to the front and called the first person she saw at the front to come up.
 
During the whole thing I was tuned out and looked toward the ceiling the whole time with crossed arms behind my head.
 
“Higurashi, Kagome,” said a voice after about ten minutes. I barely even heard my name called; I was so out of it. I looked toward the front to see whose mouth it came out of. My jaw dropped slightly. He turned around and I was able to get a better look at him.
 
Yep, you guessed it. It was Inuyasha Tsunaka. My arms fell to my sides and I looked at the scratches left in the desk I was sitting in. on the upside, I didn't have to go up and look for a name. I cross my arms on the desk and rest my chin there, tilting my head to the side.
 
Boy, did I luck out? Yeah Mom, this was a great idea.
 
When the partner picking was over and done with, Mrs. Sayakon went to the front and clapped her hands together. “Ok, now that we have our partners together, you guys can sit with each other as we go over the first project of the year.”
 
There was no way I was going over to Inuyasha. He'd just have to come to me. Which he did. I just sat there like nothing happened.
 
“So we're partners now,” he says, trying to release tension.
 
“So they said,” I say, looking forward through half-lidded eyes. He looks forward, too. I think he's trying to annoy me because he's mimicking my posture also.
 
“Well, a plus is it won't be hard to get together on projects since we live next to each other.” I stare back at the scratches on the desk.
 
“Aren't we supposed to be listening for the assignment?” I ask. I could care less about the assignment or anything in student council. I just don't want to talk to Inuyasha.
 
“I have a feeling you don't really care for the assignment.” I spare him a glance out of the corner of my eye. Creepy. It's like he read my mind.
 
“Are you listening to this?” he pauses.
 
“Kinda, yeah.”
 
“Good, then you can tell me the rest later,” I say to him, getting up and heading out the door. I feel everybody's eyes on me as I leave. Yeah, so I left early. It's not like they wanted me there to begin with. I reach into my pocket to pull out my iPod. I listen to it on the way off campus.
 
I reach the front door of the school when I hear footsteps. I turn around to find Inuyasha running toward me. I pause my iPod but keep the headphones on.
 
“What?” I ask him, annoyed.
 
“You can't just walk out of there like that. We barely even started.” Is he getting me to stay?
 
“Watch me,” I say, turning around, pushing the door open to let a cool breeze drift in. I feel something catch my arm. I look at my arm to find a hand and connected to it is Inuyasha.
 
“What?” I ask a little ruder than before, looking at him through bored eyes. He just looks at me and lets go.
 
“Never mind. Go if you want,” he says almost carelessly, and then turns around to go back.
 
Is he trying to make me feel guilty about not going? A lot of good that'll do, I didn't want to come in the first place. I turn back to the door and place my hand on the handle. I pause as I hear his footsteps recede. Damn my conscience I think with closed eyes. They snap back open and I wrap up my iPod, put it away, and head back.
 
“Alright, I'll stay. You happy?” I rudely say to him as I pass him to open the door. I think I saw him triumphantly smirk. That better be my imagination.
 
“Let's just get this over with,” I tiredly say, then heading all the way in.
 
*********************
 
a/n that one took awhile. I started at night but ended up falling asleep and finishing it this morning. I bet all of you knew who she was gonna be partnered with. I liked how this turned out. I know I skipped a month, but I think I'm going to put 2 years in this story. MAYBE. I don't know yet. That or a sequel. We'll just have to see.