InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ Their First "Moment" ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Days later, Higen and Feyri tumble through a forest behind Sashi and Kumouri, surefooted as ever. Higen gasps out, "Your village.. is a long way... away from.. the rest of the world... you know that?"

Feyri groans to show agreement. "The desert again... mountains... rivers... and now this.. neverending forest..."

Kumouri chuckles underneath his breath. "Stop complaining. We're almost there."

Sashi nods. "We'll be there before sunset."

Feyri and Higen look up almost simultaneously to see the sun, nearing the western horizon. Higen raises an eyebrow. "But that's.. not even.. an hour.."

Feyri gasps and runs to catch up to Kumouri. "I see it!" She points excitedly through the trees.

Sashi chuckles. "See. Now unless you hurt yourselves, we'll be there in minu-" Higen trips over a very large tree-root and tumbles down a ways, toppling Feyri over and sending her rolling down with him. "... in minutes." Sashi shakes her head, pushing her temples gently.

"If all else fails, I'll carry them." Kumouri laughs. "We'll be there in a few minutes, just don't worry."

Feyri rolls out of the bottom of the hill, a good ways ahead of Higen, and comes to a stop just before a tree. She exhales, closing her eyes and thanking the spirits and her ancestors all at once for keeping her safe, when Higen rolls over her and into the tree, sprawling in his near-unconsciousness over her and going limp. "Get off me! Gah!"

Kumouri and Sashi wince with Higen's impact, but can't help but smile at the result - Feyri trapped underneath an immobile Higen, yelling her brains out. Higen quickly recovers his senses, however, and sits up to let her up. He stands and offers to help her up.. When she accepts, she is a little pink in her face, but she manages her normal attitude toward him. "It'll take way too many baths to get your smell off me now. Thanks a lot, klutz."

Higen snaps back, "Yeah, well, I'm stuck smelling like you, too.. HEY! Don't you leave us!"

Feyri turns, just in time to see Sashi and Kumouri walking on by. "Hey! Genjy-y!" They exchange a quick glance at each other, then run after their guides.