InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ The Mystery Revealed ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kumouri and Sashi walk back into the inn, heading past the counter, from where the old lady is still absent, to the room where they left their companions. Kumouri carries a small sack, in which he carries the box, amongst some fruit. He quietly opens the door and lets Sashi in first, following her closely and quietly closing the door.

"What'cha got?!" Feyri practically tackles Kumouri as he turns around, apparently already recovered.

Higen smirks. "Probably just more fruit. I doubt he'll share."

Kumouri chuckles. "Actually, I've got a bit more than usual. Sure you can have a bit." He reaches in the bag, pulls out a couple of peaches, and tosses them to Higen and Feyri. They're peeled with claws or daggers and eaten in a matter of seconds.

Sashi laughs. "Hungry, huh?"

"We've just been through a desert, and I've been passed out, for I don't know how long! Of course I'm hungry!" Feyri snaps.

"Well then, I suppose it's time I let you guys know what I really dragged you out here for..." Kumouri looks serious again.

Feyri and Higen quickly calm down, listening intently. Sashi moves to an empty bed and looks out the window, listening, though she may not appear to be.

"I originally set out from my home village to prove that I'm not like my father.. to prove that I could be as strong as he was, without following the same paths that he did. The past couple of years, I've been following clues toward my father, not realizing them for what they really were. I recognized this box, when I saw it, though. My mother told me about it... He used to keep it with her, and he left his most valuable keepsakes in it - his engagement ring, his Shogun emblem... I've never seen before now, but I know it's description well." He pulls it out of the bag, turning it over to show the bottom, on which there are numerous inscriptions. "This last line reads, 'With much love, Kumouri Keitou.' That's my father's name. It was meant to be a gift... to my mother, I believe. It's the only entire line that I can read."

Feyri and Higen gape. "You're the son of.. the Great Keitou?" Higen manages to say. "Well.. that would explain.. a lot about you."

Kumouri nods. "After I open this, and find out what's inside.. I want to re-"

Sashi interrupts. "Go home, see your mother. Let her know you found a clue."

Kumouri nods again. "I'm.. going to open it now.. instead of waiting to let my mother read the inscription for me."

They all nod, even Sashi, who has returned her attention to him from the window. Kumouri takes the key out of his vest pocket, puts it in the lock of the box, and turns it gently. The box springs open, revealing a sheet of thin silk on the top of its contents.

"Fancy. Your dad must've had some connections to get that good quality of silk.." Sashi says, in awe.

Kumouri nods, and everything goes silent again as he peels back the silk to reveal a solid black, steel gauntlet, turned palm-up, with a shiny green gem in the center of the palm. Kumouri gapes. "His gauntlet.. that controls the winds..." Everyone's eyes go wide, and their jaws drop, as Kumouri covers it back up and closes the box, locking it carefully and putting it in his pack. "We'll ask my.. mother about it.. when we get there." He gets himself collected faily quickly. "We'll leave at first light, to avoid as much of the desert sun as we can. We'll try to run most of the way, alright?"

Everyone else nods simultaneously, similarly collecting themselves. A call comes from outside of the room, the old lady's voice, "Food's ready! Get it while it's hot!"

Everything seems back to normal; Higen and Feyri nearly topple Kumouri as they force him out of their way to the door. Sashi and Kumouri follow them at a slower pace, working on peeling a couple of peaches to eat on the way to the dining room.

"Hey Sashi?"

"Yeah?"

"Sorry I never told you.. who I wa-"

"Shut up and eat. I still lo-... don't think of you any different." Her cheeks show a tinge of pink.

Kumouri nods, changing color a little bit, too. "I love you, too, Sashi."