InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ The Gift... ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Last house, huh?" Kumouri sighs. "There's a lot more houses than you can see from the desert."

Sashi nods. "Indeed.. but there's the temple... I guess that house is it."

Kumouri and Sashi walk along the line of huts that started with the kind old lady's inn... A very suprisingly long ling of huts. When they finally get to the one in front of the temple, Kumouri walks up to it and knocks. "Old demon! I heard you might be who I'm looking for!"

The only answer is a gruff, scratchy voice, like that of an old man, yelling, "Go away!"

"I have a key from the south, and a story from the center plains! I was told an old demon could give me an answer to my dilemma, something that would link my travels in the four lands together."

After a bit of a pause, the door opens, revealing a very old wolf-demon. "So.. you're his son. Come on in, then."

They walk in past the old man, who quickly closes and latches the door. "You have the key to the box he left me, then. Very well.. show me the key, and I can let you have your gift from your father, young Genjan."

Kumouri sighs. "I thought he wasn't supposed to reveal so much of his past... but I suppose... it can't be helped." He reaches into one of his vest's inside pockets and pulls out the key, showing it to the old man. "Here it is."

The old demon observes it closely, then nods. "It's a bit older... and it's rusted a little bit.. but it's the same key." He almost instantly jerks around and starts digging through a pile of old things, eventually pulling up a big, solid iron box with a lock on it. "Here..." He hands it over to Kumouri, gently. "I never heard what he put in there.."

Kumouri nods. "Alright then." He turns and walks out. "Thanks old man." Sashi follows him.

The old man sighs, shaking his head. "Guess I'll never know."