InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ The Desert ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Whatever our intentions were for heading north… I regret them. Even if they’re important.” Higen mutters.

Higen and Feyri trudge through the sand, miserable in the heat, moving just fast enough to keep the other two in sight ahead of them. Feyri spits words like flames, “She’s probably sweetening up to him while I’m too tired to.”

Higen snickers. “Maybe you’re just too jealous. They’ve been together eight years. If they’re not in love now, chances are they won’t be falling into it anytime soon.”

She turns her head away from him. “This desert is horrible…” They trudge on.

Kumouri and Sashi walk as if the desert sun has no effect on them, side-by-side, discussing things in low voices in case Higen decides to catch up again.

“Genjy… your sure we can reach the village by nightfall? I heard this desert was as vast as the woods where we grew up,” Sashi says, a slightly worried tinge in her voice. “If we don’t, our other friends might not survive another morning..”

“I’m aware. We’ll make it, and if we don’t we I can carry Higen the rest of the way if you can manage Feyri.”

She nods. “She’s a skinny thing, it wouldn’t be a problem.” She smirks.

Kumouri looks back at the others, and then back to her. “The village should be coming into view by now, actually.” He doesn’t bother looking forward. Sashi does, and sticks a tongue out at him, saying, “Smart-ass.”

Higen yells out, “I see the village!” He speeds his trudging up enough to catch up to Sashi. “We’re actually gonna make it before dark…” He says in his normal voice once he catches up.

Feyri catches up shortly afterward, but is too out of breath to speak. Kumouri sighs, looking at her with pitiful eyes. “Climb on…” He turns his back to her and kneels. “No sense in getting you worn out if we’re this close.”

Higen shakes his head. “How can you two stand the heat like this?” He and Sashi stop to wait on them, watching Feyri feebly mounting Kumouri’s back. “It’s unbearable for me and her.”

Sashi sighs. “This is our fourth journey through the desert. We’re used to it. The second one took four days, instead of just two like this one. You’re lucky.”

Higen nods and goes quiet again. Kumouri lifts Feyri, who has gone limp and probably passed out, up and starts walking again. “She’s not so lucky.”

They all continue in silence heading for the village. As they approach, the sand starts to mulch into fertile soil, and thick patches start to appear. Higen looks about in amazement. The ground around the edge of the village is as fertile as the village near the Bone-Eater’s well. Kumouri stops at the village’s closest house. “Well, Higen. Welcome to Botannfu. It’s a small farming village, lucky enough to have the only comfortable plot of land in the great desert. I want you to tell Feyri about it when she wakes up. Sashi and I have some business to take care of, so we’re going to drop you and Fey at the inn.”

Higen nods and looks about again. “There’s a breeze.. and it’s not hot…” He is completely astonished.

Kumouri leads Higen to one of the larger buildings, allowing Sashi to hold the door open for him as he carries Feyri in. “We need a room please. Room for four.” Higen and Sashi follow.

The innkeeper, a dirt-old woman, smiles and nods. “Poor girl there looks like the desert gave her the worst of it. You can stay for free tonight, if you keep to one room. Take the one at the end of the hall.”

Kumouri nods to Sashi, and she waits while he and Higen go down to the room. Kumouri comes back out a minute or so later with Feyri off his back, smiling at Sashi. “Well… Let’s find the person who’s looking for me.”

Sashi smirks. “Searching for someone who’s searching for us. Ironic, much?”

Kumouri shakes his head with a grin. “Hush.”

He starts to leave, but the old woman grabs his arm. “Look in the last house before the temple. There’s an old demon there, and he might be who you seek.”

Kumouri smiles and nods. “Thanks, lady. I’d like to pay for the room anyway, if you don’t mind.”

“I do mind, and you’re staying for free or not at all.” She smiles and retreats to a back room that smells like a kitchen.

Kumouri sighs and walks out, holding the door open for Sashi. “Let’s get going.” Sashi nods and follows closely.