InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ Progress ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
(Sorry for the very long delay between updates. Combination of writer's block and forgetting that this story existed.)


Morning crawls in upon the group early, bringing gentle light to the eyes of the four, still sleeping within the silence of the previous evening, yet quickly rousing. For the first few moments of waking up, they turn over, reaching for bits of fruit and meat that are still close enough to the fire to maintain warmth. They even take a few before Kumouri freezes in place.

A move that the others react to all-to-knowingly by following his gaze and smelling quickly for odd scents. Both acts of which bring results; Kumouri is staring down a human on horseback who watches them in silence, garbed in the combat armor of a Samurai. And the smell of the air reveals that there are many other human beings out of view.

"Good morning, sunshines. Welcome to the Plains. You are in my Lord's lands, and we have come to ask you to leave. Unfortunately, as you all appear to be demons, we are required to use force." His hand starts moving to his beltline.

Their daze of waking entirely faded, the four move with intense speed. Sashi draws Kumouri's sword before they part in opposite directions, and Feyri's hands mount an arrow onto her bow, which sat next to where she slept, before the man can draw his sword and fire it, piercing his face brutally. Higen stands and moves to her side, fully prepared to keep her defense until she collects her quiver, after which they both retreat into the trees.

Out of sight of the clearing due to a large hill, a group of thirteen men in far less sufficient armor watch their commander fall from his horse before drawing his sword to give an attack order. The second in command is, before the body reaches the ground, face-to-face with Kumouri. After a moment of locked eyes, the man turns to flee, and the men around him follow suit with much less hesitation.

One by one, they fall, arrow shafts almost magically appearing in the left sides of their backs or the backs of their heads, or otherwise cut down by Sashi with blinding speed. And once they have all fallen, Higen quickly moves from body to body to retrieve arrows.

Less than two minutes after the man spoke, the four have returned to their fire, exhaling annoyedly and tearing their breakfast down in silence; there is no need for anyone to say that they need to move.

-------------------------

"Genjy... Genjy! Please, just check the map!" Feyri gasps exhaustedly as she and Higen struggle to keep up through the tangle of roots and loose earth. "I'm not saying you're lost, I'm just saying, it would make us feel better to see that you're n-"

Kumouri stops and pulls the map from his vest, shoving it into Feyri's chest. "Here, Fey. Let me know if you have a problem with my course. But make sure you consider the layout of the lands here for the best place to.. build a Lord's castle."

Feyri looks over the map as Kumouri starts moving again, quickly catching up to Sashi, who didn't stop. She and Higen look at each other and nod approvingly, and they take off again, hastening despite shaky footing. Feyri folds the map up and slides it into the front of her shirt, against her chest.

Before long, they break out of the trees and back into plains; however, the end of the plain lands is easily in view, giving way to a rocky bunch of hills. A communal smile of relief covers the group as they dash easily for the border lines. They ignore an arrow of warning from behind them, probably from that same Lord's scouts; they weren't about to chance another encounter and bring attention to themselves. They bound across the border into the cover of more, less lively trees, laughing quietly to each other.

"We'll reach the spot on the map mid-afternoon tomorrow if we keep pace." Kumouri treads earth as he digs a foot into the ground to stop and turn to face his companions, grinning.

They all nod in communal understanding, and follow him in suit as he turns and continues the direction he was walking at a walk.