InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Past of a Demon Warrior ❯ Taking a chance ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In the late afternoon, Higen and Kumouri have already finished setting up camp. The four have left food near the fire to begin warming and stepped away to a nearby hill for some combat practice.

"We're barely.. halfway across the plains!!... Genjy, aren't you... more curious?" Higen struggles to speak between oncoming blows from Sashi and his own attacks.

Kumouri adeptly dodges arrows and dagger-strikes from Feyri, but doesn't attack back. His hands are behind his back.. and he gently caresses the jewel over his palm. In spite of himself, he grins, "No, not really. I'm not too curious to enjoy seeing Sashi kick your ass."

Higen manages to laugh a few times, before suffering a kick to the jaw and soaring a few yards through the air.

Feyri starts to pout a little bit. "I know that fighting you because you're so fast and strong is supposed to help me, but how am I supposed to learn to defend myself if you don't fight ba- eek!" She gapes widely as she barely evades backward in time to avoid a gauntleted fist.

Kumouri gives her a bit of a serious look. "I'd like to hone your attacks. Higen and I can keep you safe, I just need you to be deadly. I don't really feel fond of the idea of hurting you, either."

Feyri nods, silent.

After a few more minutes, Feyri runs out of arrows, and they cease for a bit. Higen helps her gather her arrows, as Sashi and Kumouri start to stretch.

Feyri grins slightly as she turns around after slinging her quiver over her shoulder. "You two going to try a spar, hmm?"

All four of them grin together. They know these battles. Sashi and Kumouri were far better at melee fighting than Higen and Feyri, as a whole, though Higen's claws made him just as deadly, and Feyri really was kept safe enough to aim carefully. Her aim was near perfect.

Kumouri nods, seemingly for both of them. "We need our practice, too. Neither of us could find much better of a sparring partner." He smirks over at Sashi.

They turn and face each other, kissing gently before stepping a few yards apart. They meet eyes, and the tension rises immensely, despite Feyri playfully jumping up to wrap her arms around Higen's neck from behind.

Suddenly, the air changes entirely. Sashi and Kumouri meet bare fists in the air and seem to hang in that pose for a moment, before Sashi swings a kick toward Kumouri's side, which he deflects with a steel-encased wrist. The rest of the battle is too fierce and quick for Higen and Feyri to follow entirely. In the end, after nearly fifteen minutes, Kumouri manages to pin Sashi, immobile. She declares her own defeat with a grin, panting heavily.

Higen blinks. ".. I could've of sworn.. Sashi.."

Sashi interrupts him with explanation, before Kumouri can. "So could I. You'd think I could see him ploying after sparring him for eight years."

Kumouri lets her up, and they all return to the camp at a comfortable walk. The sky is beginning to change colors with the approach of sunset, and the smell of fire-cooked meats has begun to drift over. They chat, like normal. Kumouri continues, as he has been, fiddling with the gem over his palm.

When they begin to eat and help themselves to a little bit of wine and fruit, their chatter stops. They suddenly find themselves eating in near-silence.

The sounds of chewing and tearing meat, sloshing liquid as it approaches mouths.. the wind against the grass of the plains, the occassional animal passing by in curiosity.

All suddenly interrupted, as Sashi speaks, her eyes fixed on Kumouri's hand. "You should try it." Suddenly, silence and tension overtake the area. Eyes fall on Kumouri, who has stopped eating with his eyes now closed.

After a moment or three, he just starts eating again; the others follow suit. They understand that kind of answer, and know they won't get a more straight answer until they finish with supper.

They keep their silence again until the food is all eaten, and they have finished a good bit of the wine.

Kumouri suddenly stands after a long while, and starts walking toward the field where they were sparring. The others follow shortly, a little surprised, but eager nonetheless. Kumouri sighs slightly. "Stay a bit back, guys. I have no idea how this is going to work."

The others nod and stop following him almost immediately. Kumouri walks a good bit past where they stop, then awkwardly turns toward them as if to ask for advice.

When he receives none, he turns and raises his arm instinctively in front of him, at about shoulder level. He examines it for a few moments, almost hoping to find a clue, but doesn't look for long. He doesn't hope to find anything on this gauntlet that he's had two weeks to examine, top to bottom.

The tension and worry raises between all four of them. Kumouri takes a deep breath, glancing back at his companions once more, then parts his lips to speak softly.

"Kyoufuu bakuhatsu."

The gem shines brightly in its shade of green upon the first word, and then pulsates visibly, nearly buckling Kumouri's elbow, in a sudden vast release of power. A maelstrom forms out of nowhere, centered on Kumouri's palm, twisting the air inside it so quickly that the air's movements become visible. Kumouri, as well as his friends, looks on in complete awe. After a short moment, he moves his arm downward reflexively... perhaps a mistake. The air and energy collected in his palm discharges downward, in a sudden overwhelming and explosive bout of power. When it drives into the ground, it has not completely finished discharging from Kumouri's hand. Kumouri is launched backward in his lack of control, and caught completely off-guard by the sensation. He soars a good thirty feet across the plain, past his wide-eyed companions just to their side. He lands with a rather sickening thud.

Feyri and Sashi dash after Kumouri, worry bright in their eyes, and find him unconscious but barely harmed. A couple of cracked ribs, and some scrapes, nothing more. Higen stares with wide eyes at the spot Kumouri just left, where there is a small crater where he was standing, with a spiraled shape dug into the ground at the bottom.

They drag Kumouri back to the camp, still silent. Nobody speaks. Sashi keeps an awkward watch over him until he awakens deep into the morning, when the others are long-since asleep. They exchange enough words for her to be sure he is okay, and then she kisses him gently in relief. They cuddle up and go to sleep, solaced.

For the remainder night, there is still silence. No animals come to observe the damage to their plain. None pass to examine the camp. Nothing comes near.