InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It had all happened so quickly. He knew he'd been pinned to the Goshinboku for some time. How long ago that had been, he couldn't even begin to guess. All he could remember from before had been the priestess, Kikyou, aiming an arrow at him and binding him to the sacred tree. And something had awakened him. What, he wasn't sure of, either, but it had happened. Now before him stood a monk in black and purple robes with some prayer beads over his right hand, a girl in strange clothing that emanated a great amount of power, and a group of demon exterminators, one of them female. They smelled like a family unit. One of his father's guards, NatsuMaru he believed, had captured the lead exterminator and held a blade to his throat. Natsumaru had demanded that the strange girl release him, which she had done immediately. He'd wanted to kill her but the guard had advised against it, and he'd seen the wisdom in it. The monk had an unusual air about him, as if he carried a secret weapon of some sort. There were the demon exterminators to factor in as well.

He had just stepped down and away from the tree when he caught a familiar scent on the wind. There were tears mingled in with his brother's scent. He must have ran into her he thought, his head glancing in his brother's direction. The female exterminator had turned, her blade drawn, at the same time as everyone else, just as his brother ran into the small the clearing . . . and into the female's katana. It had happened all to fast and he couldn't reach his brother quick enough.

"Se . . . Sesshomaru . . ."

He caught his brother as he fell backwards, crimson staining the all white kimono that all demon royalty wore. Pain-filled amber eyes gazed up at him and his brother's ears twitched slightly. Sweat began to bead on the younger demon's forehead, tears still streaking down his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, Sesshomaru . . ."

"Shh, Inuyasha," he soothed. "It's all right now. It's all right. I'm back now. You'll be okay now. I promise you."

"My Lord, we must get out of here," NatsuMaru urged. "Your father is close by. He'll know what to do. Please. We must go!"

Sesshomaru nodded numbly and gathered his brother in his arms. The humans nearby still posed a threat and she was close by as well. He couldn't let her see Inuyasha like this. Then he ran, NatsuMaru behind, and memories trailed in their wake . . .