InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter One - A New Member of the Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"My Lord! My Lord!"

InuTaisho looked up as one of his vassals came running towards him. Sesshomaru and his mother, Yashira, glanced up as well. The vassal had an air of panic and urgency about him. InuTaisho set his chopsticks down, his golden gaze bringing the male to a halt. He bowed quickly before them.

"My Lord," he panted. "I bring news from the Lady Izayoi on her . . . condition."

If it had been possible, the temperature in the room had dropped considerably. InuTaisho half-fancied he could see his breath, despite the summertime weather, and he felt more than saw the murderous glare his son shot him. Still, what was done had been done. He couldn't change what had happened. And he knew what condition the vassal spoke of. The Lady Izayoi was with child. His child.

"What about her condition?" InuTaisho demanded, ignoring his wife and son. The vassal remained bowed but he had at least caught his breath.

"She has sent word . . . she . . . she gave birth to a son four days ago . . . As soon as he came into the world, she sent the word."

"I see," he murmured, rising to his feet. "Prepare a mount. I wish to be on my within the hour."

"Yes, my Lord."

He hurried off as InuTaisho turned to Yashira and Sesshomaru. Their expressions had not changed but he hadn't expected them to. This child was his responsibility. Not theirs.

"Sesshomaru . . ."

"I'm not going with you, Father," the youth stated firmly. "I do not wish to see the Lady Izayoi."

"I know, my son," he sighed, "and I'm not going to ask you to travel with me at this time."

"Then what is it you wish of me, Father?"

"I would like for you to retrieve an article of clothing strong with you scent," InuTaisho replied. "And to act in my stead while I'm away."

"You intend for this child to live?!" Sesshomaru's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Hai," he nodded. "I do. He is my son and I will treat him as such. Now go."

"Yes, Father." Sesshomaru rose to his feet and went to retrieve what he had requested. Yashira gave him a curious stare.

"He will be tormented for what he is," she stated, her voice soft yet maintaining an icy edge. "He is hanyou and will become a target for all who despise you. And Izayoi's father despises you."

"I know," InuTaisho sighed sadly. "But as long as he is alive, I will not take any action against Izayoi and her father. They both know it."

"Tai," Yashira murmured.

"I know what you're going to say, Yashira, but I'm not going to change my mind. I know all about Izayoi's attempt to start a war between me and her father. However, if I kill them, I could end up facing a human revolt in our domain. He's already promised as much, and, that is something no one can afford."

"Tai . . ."

"That's when I'd told him that Izayoi carried my child . . . I could smell it on her even then . . . He threatened to kill the child as soon as it was born . . . I don't want to lose another child, Yashira . . ."

"So you did the only thing you could think of . . . You threatened him back," she stated flatly.

"No, Yashira. I did not just threaten him . . . I vowed that I would avenge the child's death by publically executing him and Izayoi both. That I would make sure everyone knew of the crime. It was the only thing I could think of at the time to save that child."

To that, Yashira blinked, her expression changing slightly. InuTaisho lowered his gaze from her and focused on the rest of his uneaten food. He didn't want to fight, not now. After the vassal had delivered his message, he'd lost his appetite.

'This day . . . how I've longed for it . . . and yet I've feared it. Kami, forgive me for what about I'm about to put my child through.'

* * *

Sesshomaru watched with mild disgust as his father took off towards the north, a small bundle under his arm. He had chosen an old obi of his that he hadn't worn for some time. His father had sniffed at it before nodding his approval. Then InuTaisho had left without another word or glance. Sesshomaru turned his gaze towards his mother, sadness filling his heart.

'Why did the Gods have to grant my wish this way? Why a half-breed? Why?'

He suppressed a sigh as Yashira re-entered the palace. She was beautiful, he though and he couldn't understand why his father had turned to a human female for another child. Sesshomaru had seen Izayoi once. That had been a few months after her pregnancy had been announced. The woman couldn't hold a flame when compared to his mother. Izayoi looked like any typical Japanese woman with her soft brown eyes and long raven hair. Yashira shimmered like a polished diamond with her long, flowing silver hair and deep amber eyes. There were times he wished he would have inherited more of her facial markings. She had a single smooth stripe on each of her cheeks, orchid in colour, in addition to silver stars adorning her temples and a golden crescent moon on her forehead.

'Father is a fool,' he thought contemptuously as he followed his mother inside. 'He can't even see what it is that he has. He's probably going to bring Izayoi and that half-breed here.'

"Something bothering you, Sesshomaru?"

"No, Mother," he replied. "Why do you ask?"

"You have this strange look on your face," Yashira commented. "What are you thinking?"

"It's nothing, Mother."

Her eyes grabbed a hold of his, searching. He felt himself being hooked by those amber depths. She always knew when he wasn't being completely honest with her. Always. He could never escape it.

"Something is bothering you, my son. I can see it in your eyes . . . Tell me . . . What troubles you?"

"Mother . . ."

"Is it the Lady Izayoi . . . or your brother?"

Sesshomaru averted his eyes. She knew. How, he couldn't even begin to guess but she knew.

"The Lady Izayoi and the hanyou . . ."

"You're angry at your father for this child's birth," she stated.

"Hai . . ."

"But there is more . . . Isn't there, Sesshomaru?"

The words caught in his throat. How could he tell her that his greatest wish had come true at the expense of her happiness? It killed him to envision her look of horror at such a confession.

"Mother . . ."

"Shhh . . . It's all right, my child. You don't have to tell me anything more if you don't want to. Just promise me . . . you won't take your anger at your father out on this child . . . He is the product of a union he never asked for . . . And there is more to this situation than what you know about."

"Do you say this because of Uncle Hiroshi?"

"Hai . . . I do, Sesshomaru," she smiled, laying a hand against his cheek.

"I shall do my best, Mother . . . and I will try to treat my brother as such, especially if Father brings him and Izayoi here to live. But I will not treat her as family. No matter what Father says."

"Do not alienate her, Sesshomaru," Yashira cautioned. "As I said, there is more to this than what you realize."

She turned around and disappeared before he could question her further. Then he shook his head. Whatever was going on, he'd find out in good time. In the meantime, he had duties to see to. His father had left him to act as regent and he did not intend to fail in his father's request.

* * *

Yashira crept quietly through the palace. It didn't matter if the inuyoukai servants heard her or not. They were able to detect her by scent alone. No, it wasn't the inuyoukai servants she wanted to avoid. They had served her and InuTaisho's families for many, many years, and knew when to approach her. It was the newer of the human servants she wanted to avoid. InuTaisho had made it painfully clear that they were not to be harmed, no matter how inquisitive they go, and Yashira had a habit of lashing out whenever they got to close to her, especially when she wanted to be alone.

'It's better to be safe than to raise InuTaisho's ire,' she told herself as she opened the door to a lightly dusted room. It smelled of the dust as well as sunshine, sakura . . . and old memories. Sakura petals littered the floor in front of a large window that faced the south.

The room itself had once been Sesshomaru's room and it had been specifically chosen to act as a nursery because of the amount of light it allowed in. Not too much, not too little - any child could rest comfortably in this room and it had helped that it wasn't too far from her and InuTaisho's room.

'He'll probably want to use this room for his new son . . . and I can't say that I'd blame him if he does . . . but I don't want another child to be in this room. I don't think I could take it.'

She closed her eyes for a moment, willing away the pain that had stabbed her in the heart and the tears that threatened to follow. It had to go away, no one could ever find out the heartache that she endured. Her eyes opened. As quietly as she had entered, Yashira slipped out of the room. Her time as a child-bearer had ended, though she still remained as the alpha. She had to make room for others.

'But they shall receive no compassion, no sympathy from me. Not any more. I am done. I shall become a heart of ice, and nothing shall melt me.'

* * *

InuTaisho sighed softly as Izayoi's home came into view. It had been nine months since he had made what he'd considered to be the biggest mistake of his long life. But he couldn't call it a mistake. Not anymore. A child had resulted as a consequence of his actions, and he'd be damned if he made his infant suffer because of it. The Gods already knew he'd endure much suffering in years to come.

'And if Izayoi should someone more suitable for her, I shall not put a stop to it. I shall take my son to live with me when he is older and stronger. And I don't care if Izayoi will allow it or not. I will not let some other male to take advantage of him living with her. I simply will not.'

He approached the palace at a steady gait, the guards allowing him passage to the main entrance. InuTaisho kept his back straight and his head held high. He ruled over these lands. Sure, they were divided amongst many nobles, youkai and human alike, but he reigned supreme over them. If one noble had a problem with another, he'd see to it that everything was taken care of.

'And one day . . . it shall be Sesshomaru who rules over my lands. That is the way it must be.'

InuTaisho brought his mount to a halt and leapt nimbly to the ground. He strode inside the palace with a purpose - to find Izayoi and his son. Nothing more, nothing less. Sniffing gingerly, he picked up Izayoi's scent - and that of his infant - then made his way to her chambers.

'This is it. I am obligating myself to this child . . . No, I'm not . . . I've already obligated myself to this child. And there is no going back.'

Cautiously, InuTaisho entered Izayoi's bed chamber. The young woman lay propped up against a wall, a small bundle in her arms. She smiled gently as he entered.

'Lord InuTaisho," she murmured. "I'm glad you came."

"Lady Izayoi," he nodded. "How are you feeling?"

"Good," Izayoi replied. "The little one hardly cries much. He just stares at everything with wide, curious eyes."

"That's good. That's very good." He knelt next to her. "May I see him?"

"Of course. He's your son, after all."

Izayoi carefully handed him the small bundle she'd been holding. He peered under the wrapping at the child sheltered within them and smiled.

The boy had a wealth of unruly, silver hair on the top of his head as well as two fluffy, white ears on either side. He slept contentedly. InuTaisho brought the child to his face, imprinting the child's scent into his memory. A light sniffing noise told him that the infant had done the same.

"How long will you be staying, my lord?"

"A few days, Izayoi. After all, I want my son to know me. Have you named him yet?"

"No," she shook her head. "I thought you'd want to be the one to name him . . . though I did have something in mind . . ."

"Oh?"

"Yes . . . I rather like the name Inuyasha . . ."

"Inuyasha . . ." He mulled it over for a moment then nodded. "Inuyasha it is then. I'm going to walk around for a bit. Do you mind if I take my son with me?"

"Not at all, my lord. Not at all . . . Just one question, though . . ."

"And what is that, Izayoi?"

"I would like to stay here, in my father's home, and keep Inuyasha with me . . . Would that be all right?"

InuTaisho hesitated for a moment. He didn't like the idea. Not one bit. Still, he simply couldn't take Izayoi from her home and Inuyasha was definitely too young to be taken from her.

"Of course, Izayoi," he replied as his stomach twisted itself into several tiny knots. "I trust that you shall take care of him?"

"He's my son," Izayoi exclaimed softly. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Nothing," he smiled. "No reason at all."

InuTaisho rose to his feet, careful as not to disturb the sleeping infant.

'A son. I have another son, and he's beautiful,' he thought as he stepped quietly out of the room, nuzzling the babe as he went . . .