InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“They conspire against you, young prince.”
 
Inuyasha blearily opened his eyes as he heard the sound of whispering voices. It was dark all about him but one quick sniff told him that he was still in his room at his father's home and not the dank basement he had lived in when he had stayed with his mother.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Your father's advisors . . . they conspire against you . . .”
 
For a moment, nothing registered against his sleep-addled mind, other than the desire to go back to sleep. He was still a little child, after all, and he didn't feel good. Not in the least. Inuyasha closed his eyes once more. Then the words permeated the fog and his eyes flew open. He bolted forward, his eyes darting about.
 
“They conspire against me?” he whispered, his heart beating heavily in his chest. Why would anyone conspire against him, he wondered. He'd done nothing wrong. He was just a child, after all. Then he remembered. His father's newer advisors had never really liked him. They deemed him to be a spoiled and pampered prince, and did whatever they could to show their disdain for him. Chances were, if they were conspiring against him, they'd find a way to humiliate him in front of his father. Anything to try and demonstrate to him what a horrible little child they perceived him to be.
 
“You see already,” came the casual remark. It almost sounded like his aniki. “You're a very bright child, Inuyasha. What do you intend to do about it?”
 
“I don't know,” he murmured, casting his eyes to the floor. “I'm used to dodging people who want to beat me . . . not those who conspire against me . . .”
 
“Then you're on the right track already,” the voice assured him.
 
“I am?” Inuyasha blinked but the voice didn't answer him back. He heard no other sounds other than those of his heart and his breathing. Slowly, he laid back down and gazed at the darkened ceiling. He would've pondered the strange voice's words a little more but sleep claimed him, sending him into blissful darkness . . .
 
Inuyasha let out a small moan as his eyes fluttered open. His entire body ached, he felt hot and sticky, his mouth was as dry as an unused cotton cloth, and, to make matters worse, his nursemaids, Kiki and Kira, were hovering over him. A cool cloth had been pressed against his forehead.
 
In a split moment, his breath hitched in his chest and he opened his mouth to cry out for his father or his brother . . . anyone but the two human females. His mouth, however, felt so dry that it was nearly impossible for the boy. Instead, he let out a strange mewl and tried to squirm away. A rumbling sound greeted his ears, causing him to relax. He didn't need to be afraid of them, especially with his father right there. Inuyasha knew as much. He let out a ragged sigh just as strong arms scooped him up into a sitting position and a cup pressed to his lips. Cool water washed over his tongue and down his throat as the cup tilted, and Inuyasha drank as much as he could, as quickly as he could.
 
Once his thirst had been abated, Inuyasha leaned wearily against his father's torso, gulping for air. He couldn't ever recall being this thirsty before . . . at least . . . not since Sesshomaru had brought him here to live. And he knew that his mother had never even bothered to contact his father about him. She'd watched as the servants had beat him until he'd been on death's door. Why would she care if someone had kidnapped him for Kami knew what when she watched him be tormented?
 
At the thought of his mother, tears welled up in the small child's eyes. He loved her. He couldn't deny it. The woman had given birth to him, after all, and he was quite certain that she had showed it at one point . . . until he got older. Where he'd gone wrong with his mother, Inuyasha didn't know. He just knew that he had more bad memories of her than good ones. But a small part of him wanted to believe, did believe, that his mother, in her own way, loved him. For as much as he feared for everything she had allowed to happen to him, Inuyasha couldn't bring himself to hate her.
 
Strong arms cradled him close the moment the tears started to flow down his cheeks. He heard his father give his nursemaids some orders. One had to retrieve more water and linens while the other had to get Shinsei. As soon as they were gone, his father adjusted his hold on him and nuzzled him.
 
“Are you all right, pup?” came the tired murmur. Inuyasha nodded and closed his eyes. For a moment, he could pretend that there was nothing wrong with the world. That was all as it should be. He was safe for his father would protect him from anything that would harm him. His father obviously loved him and Inuyasha was willing to take whatever affections he could garner from his only parental figure.
 
“You're not hurting any where?” his father inquired.
 
“No,” he whispered, his eyes closing.
 
“You sure?” The Lord of the castle sounded dubious. “You slept for a very long time, Inuyasha.”
 
“I'm sure,” he mumbled, snuggling closer to his father. He didn't care how long he'd slept. He just wanted to feel safe.
 
As he rested against his father, his mind slowly wandered to the dream that he'd just had. It was a warning. That much he was sure of. And he knew who the dream was warning him about. Just not what.
 
`Could always tell Father. He'd protect me,' he thought with a yawn but then immediately dismissed the idea. Why, he wasn't quite sure. He just had.
`I'll figure it out later,' he told himself, his eyes drooping close. `So tired . . .'
 
Inuyasha listened to the soothing breathing and steady rhythm of his father's heart, sounds that always had calmed him in his moments of fear. A moment later, his breathing had evened out completely and he had drifted off to sleep once more.
 
* * *
 
“How is he doing?”
 
InuTaisho glanced up to see Sesshomaru and Shinsei standing before him. Inuyasha had just fallen asleep not more than a few moments ago and it worried him. The boy had slept for a little over two days since the incident in the garden and he still burned with a fever. To InuTaisho's mind, it wasn't normal for a healthy child.
 
“He fell back asleep,” he murmured, adjusting the boy so that Shinsei could take a look at him. The healer nodded at his words and carefully took the child from him. Inuyasha whimpered once during the exchange then fell silent again. Whatever had stricken his son was taking a toll on the pup. InuTaisho grimaced at the sight of his son's taut and gaunt face but was thankful that the boy didn't look anywhere near what he had a year ago.
 
Shinsei, once the boy was secure in his arms, glanced over the small form, his brow furrowed in thought. Then he took a tentative sniff of the child before laying Inuyasha on top of his bedroll. As soon as he'd done that, he placed both hands on his son's temples. Finally, after checking the boy's belly and his breathing, Shinsei glanced at him, wearing an expression of relief.
 
“The worst is over, my Lord. The fever will be breaking soon.”
 
“You're sure of this?” InuTaisho inquired, trying his best to not dare to hope.
 
“Hai,” the healer chuckled. “The fever will be breaking soon. He'll just need to rest for a little while longer. After that, we can work on getting some more meat on his bones. He's too scrawny for my tastes.”
 
InuTaisho smiled at Shinsei's remark, a genuine smile for the first time in what felt like a very, very long time. His eyes traveled to the tiny boy who slept peacefully next to them.
 
“Hai. Sounds good to me, Shinsei. Very good.”
 
He reached his hand over to stroke his son's cheek. Silence ensued for a few moments then he glanced at the healer once more.
 
“Could you watch over Inuyasha for a moment? I need to speak with Sesshomaru.”
 
At Shinsei's nod, InuTaisho rose to his and motioned for his oldest to follow him. The younger youkai raised an eyebrow in question at him but obediently followed. InuTaisho left Inuyasha's room and headed for one of the many conference rooms along the corridor. Unlike most nobles, InuTaisho had conference and sleeping rooms mingled in the same hallways, and had done so on purpose. He'd just taken Yashira as his mate and had wanted to be as close to her as possible. It had been his responsibility then, and duty, to ensure her safety and the safety of any children they would eventually have. In his mind, it was still his responsibility, the opinions of others be damned.
 
Once he reached a room to his liking, and out of earshot of his youngest, InuTaisho stepped in and waited for Sesshomaru. The younger youkai still had a questioning look in his eyes as he followed.
 
“Yes, Father?”
 
“There's something very important I need to talk to you about.”
 
* * *
 
TsukuYouMaru listened patiently as Akari and several others continued to formulate their plans on how to get Lord InuTaisho to see his youngest son's true nature but didn't really contribute to these . . . sessions. They'd been meeting for the last few days, ever since the incident in the garden and only those who believed Inuyasha to be a pampered prince were the ones to know about these secret meetings.
 
So far, nothing serious had come from these gatherings, something that weighed heavily on TsukuYouMaru's mind. While he didn't like Inuyasha, he also didn't like the thought of the child getting hurt. The boy would be targeted for his hanyou heritage soon enough.
 
`If he hasn't been already,' he thought idly. `I know Shiori has.'
 
Perhaps, if he were to think about it, that was truly his problem with Inuyasha. The boy, as far as he had seen, had not been targeted because of his hanyou heritage. If anything, the servants - human and youkai alike - treated the boy with the greatest of reverence and, at times, like he was a very delicate little boy. TsukuYouMaru had no doubts that it was because of Lord InuTaisho. No one wanted to be a target of the youkai lord's wrath. They had observed that the other day.
 
`But why do they treat him like he's delicate?' he frowned. `He's a little boy. Little boys are not delicate creatures.'
 
Still, he couldn't deny that the boy was somewhat . . . frail. Most little boys he knew didn't crumple after being punched in the stomach. Most little boys got back up and started fighting. It struck TsukuYouMaru as odd.
 
“TsukuYouMaru?”
 
“Hai?” he blinked at the mention of his name, focusing on the serpent youkai who had addressed him.
 
“Are you all right?” one of his fellow advisors inquired.
 
“Yes,” TsukuYouMaru nodded. “I was just . . . thinking. That's all.”
 
“Ah, I see,” Akari smiled. “That's why you weren't paying attention to us.”
 
“Hai,” he murmured, feeling his cheeks burn. “What have I missed?”
 
“The finalization of our plans. We execute them right away.”
 
“Right away?” TsukuYouMaru frowned. “What exactly do you have in mind?”
 
“I thought you'd never ask,” the serpent smirked.
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho watched as his youngest son devoured bowl after bowl of soup and smiled. It heartened him to see the boy's appetite returning. As of late, Inuyasha had barely touched his food during meals, and he'd become somewhat sullen. His recent illness hadn't helped any, either. InuTaisho hated how . . . fragile Inuyasha's mental state had become. At some point, the boy's mental state had shattered, though he hung on with all his might. He knew his son cried a little more often. He knew what his son feared. There wasn't anything he could do, however, to put the boy at ease. Something had been triggered in Inuyasha, something InuTaisho knew he could never erase.
 
`Still, this change in him isn't good,' InuTaisho mused. `It isn't what I want to see in my son. In either of my sons.'
 
As he watched Inuyasha, a light smile crossed his face. The boy certainly had a light of his own. Inuyasha had somehow managed to melt some of the iciness that had surrounded both Sesshomaru and Yashira. His oldest had become a little more compassionate towards others. Sesshomaru wouldn't entirely become compassionate - that's just how the younger youkai would always be and InuTaisho had come to expect that. But the biggest difference had been his mate. While she didn't act motherly towards his hanyou son, she had warmed considerably. She'd even become a little protective of Inuyasha, often at odds with his newer advisors.
 
His newer advisors . . . InuTaisho fought back a heavy sigh when he thought of them. Several of them had hanyou children themselves yet they seemed to find it prudent to point out his son's faults. And their current silence where his son was concerned was not lost on InuTaisho. It worried him. Why, he couldn't exactly say. It just . . . did.
 
`I know my son isn't perfect . . . he's just a child, after all.'
 
“Father?”
 
Inuyasha's quiet voice broke through his thoughts and InuTaisho glanced at the small boy crouched in front of him. Golden eyes gazed at him brightly . . . happily, almost. InuTaisho tilted his head some, noting it as a rather small change in his son. It had been months since he'd seen that . . . happy look in his boy's eyes. What had brought that change, he didn't know.
 
`I'm not going to be able to find out, either. Not until we get back . . .'
 
“Yes, Inuyasha?”
 
The small boy tilted his head again, the tone of his eyes shifting from happy to curious.
 
“Something's bothering you,” he murmured. “I can see it.”
 
“You can?” InuTaisho blinked. To that, Inuyasha nodded then placed a finger next to his temple.
 
“It's in your eyes,” Inuyasha said softly.
 
For a moment, InuTaisho said nothing. Could say nothing, in fact. The fact that his nearly six-year-old son had noticed something troubled him confounded him.
 
`How did I end up with two observant sons?' he wondered as he shook off his shock. He gave Inuyasha a reassuring smile.
 
“I'll be all right, child. I just have something very important to tell you.”