InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kaito fought back the urge to growl and lash out at the two sentries standing before him, fear and anger threatening to overwhelm him and send him into a blind and bloodthirsty rage. Both warriors were battered and bruised and even a little bloody from whatever skirmish had fallen upon them. They were also hanging their heads in shame, their tails low, and they spoke no more words. They did not need to speak. The scents surrounding them told Kaito their tales, of a battle well fought yet lost, and they were undeserving of any further rage and harm. It did not mean, though, he cared for the news they delivered.
For almost as long as Kaito could remember, his wolf tribe had been at war with the local inuyoukai tribes and their daiyoukai. Many wolves died in the battles with the inuyoukai under his father's commands, something Kaito swore would never happen under his leadership. The inuyoukai were very much like the wolf demons. Both sides were fiercely territorial. Both sides would defend their lands and their leaders unto the death, and both sides possessed advantages with their heightened senses, especially sight and smell. The wolves were on the losing side, however, due to the inuyoukai's unshakable caste system. Warriors were not only trained among the inuyoukai, they were born among the inuyoukai. Kaito knew an inuyoukai warrior by his facial markings alone and knew that, when he saw an inuyoukai warrior, he needed to retreat as quickly as he could or his warriors would perish. Rumours of a single inuyoukai warrior's abilities were more than just rumours. They were truths he had witnessed in many battles, and Kaito could not afford to throw away lives for the sake of killing one inuyoukai.
This day, though, the problems his warriors encountered were not inuyoukai in origin. There were inuyoukai scents lingering around them, but there was another demonic scent about them. It was a scent similar to that of birds, and these bird-like demons, according to the words the two warriors had spoken before silence fell over the audience chamber again, nearly decimated the wolves hunting for food. The two standing before him were the lucky ones, only they also reported that Kaito's only child, his son, Kouga, was lost during the fight.
What his son was doing with the hunting party, Kaito was unsure. Kouga was only eleven summers old, not even of age to join the hunts. The one warrior recognized Kouga's scent when it was too late. Someone had snatched the boy away. As such, Kaito's parental instincts were railing against him, demanding he find his son and spill the blood of any who would dare harm his only child. Kaito inhaled a deep breath.
“You mentioned the bird demons,” he began. “What of the inuyoukai? What were they doing there? Have you a guess?”
“I am not sure of their reasons for arriving, Lord Kaito,” the first warrior said. He was the one who mentioned detecting Kouga's presence towards the end of the battle. “I barely recall the end of the battle. I only know they showed, attacking these creatures at will, slaying as many as they could. A few of their warriors fell in their struggles, but they did manage to drive the enemy away. That was when I caught your son's scent and heard his voice.”
“So the inuyoukai have him,” Kaito said. The warrior nodded his head once.
“I believe so, my lord,” he said. “I . . . I believe another child may have been there. I heard his voice almost as clear as the screeches of the bird demons.”
“Another child?” Kaito raised an eyebrow at hearing this from his man. It was obvious the warrior's memories were returning to him, and they were causing him to be hesitant as he spoke.
“Yes, my lord. I cannot be certain, but the child may have been one of their own, and the birds attacked him.”
“Only to bring the wrath of the inuyoukai upon them,” Kaito murmured. “Perhaps I will need to speak with the inu daiyoukai about my son's return.”
“Forgive me, my lord, but I do not think Lord Akira harbors your son. I . . .” The warrior paused yet again. “I heard the other child cry out for someone. I heard the child say this name as clear as I can see and hear you now.”
“A name? What name might it be you heard?”
“NatsuMaru, my lord,” the warrior replied. “I heard the child cry out for NatsuMaru. If the inuyoukai do have your son, and I believe they do, he is now in the Western Lands.”
“The Western Lands?” Kaito felt a shiver steal over him at the mention of the inu warrior's name. All wolves (and all demons, for that matter) knew of NatsuMaru, the oldest and deadliest of all inuyoukai warriors. He was an elite fighter, capable of felling many an enemy without so much as straining himself as he did. As far as Kaito knew, NatsuMaru remained in the East, with the most ancient of inuyoukai, Lord Rei Inu. The Western Lands belonged to InuTaisho, Rei Inu's third son. Akira, the one Kaito warred with, was the second oldest. “What have you heard?”
“Only that the Lord InuTaisho has a young son, a few summers younger than Kouga,” the warrior said. “He is a hanyou, much like Lord Hiroshi of the Southern Lands, and NatsuMaru now guards the boy. I have heard he goes by the name of Inuyasha.”
“Another hanyou,” Kaito growled. Like most demons, he cared very little for half-breeds. In his eyes, nearly all half-breeds were weak and short-lived. Most of the hanyous he had seen in his life were grotesque and distorted, not even worthy of living. The only exceptions to his beliefs were the half-breeds produced by inuyoukai warriors. Inu hanyous were beautiful, capable of mesmerizing any onlooker to distraction. Any child born from a powerful in warrior would undoubtedly inherit the parent's prowess and battle skills, thereby creating an opponent Kaito would not dare not trifle with or insult, but he still would never understand the reasons behind mating with a human. Why any demon would mate with a human to produce such a weakling was beyond his comprehension. Kaito rose to his feet.
“I will treat with Akira first,” he said. “It is possible the child you spoke of was traveling with his father to the Northern Lands. They may have taken Kouga there.”
“As you wish, my lord. I will . . .”
“I will travel alone,” Kaito said. “A single wolf will attract less attention than an entire pack. Someone will need to stay here and guard our home.”
“Lord Kaito, I must protest! You are our leader! We cannot afford to lose you to either these bird creatures or to the inuyoukai,” the second warrior cried out. He even took a step forward. “Send a messenger first! Please! I am sure Lord Akira will send you an escort of his finest once he learns of this new threat. Just do not leave by yourself. Our people will be lost without you.”
“Our people will be lost without my son as well,” Kaito replied. Again, he felt torn between his duties to his wolves and his duties as a parent. His men spoke the truth, but they had no young. They did not understand his position. Already, Kaito missed the boy and his enthusiasm. The caves did not seem so bright and cheery without Kouga's presence. “He must be returned to me, to us, and soon.”
“I cannot begin to understand how you feel, my lord,” the second warrior murmured, bowing a little. “I only know what I feel, and it is guilt for not noticing the boy sooner and protecting him. If I had, you would not be in this situation. For that, I am truly sorry, my lord. I will do whatever I can to make amends. Please. Allow me to travel in your stead.”
“You are not able to travel,” Kaito began. “You would not make it to the inuyoukai territories. Not without healing first.”
“My lord!”
“I will hear no more arguments. Both of you, go see the healer. My decision is final.”
Both warriors bowed then quietly left the audience cave. Kaito exhaled and found himself sitting on the floor's cold surface. All he could do in that moment was worry over his son. Were the inuyoukai caring for him or were they mistreating him? Was he injured? Did they even know who Kouga was and of his importance to the wolf tribes? Would they demand he and his wolves leave in exchange for his son if they learned the truth? Kaito did not know the answers to his questions. A part of him feared to find out.
`No! I mustn't despair. I will not despair! My son is alive and he will be all right. I know this.' Kaito inhaled a deep breath and let it out. There was much to be done, and he was not sure if time was on his side. Preparations were in order.
`Be strong, my son. Please. You will be home soon, my son. Even if I have to slay every inuyoukai to make it happen, you will be home. I promise.'
* * *
A low howl rang out in the distance, causing InuTaisho to raise his head, and he frowned the moment he heard the call. He rose to his feet and started to run for the main gates.
The daiyoukai knew the owner of the voice calling out, and the reasons for the call were enough to send InuTaisho into a panic. Dread pulsed through his blood as he ran, hoping he was not hearing NatsuMaru's call correctly. He did not want to see his son horribly injured ever again.
The howl never ceased in its cry to aid an injured child as InuTaisho raced towards the main gates. Shinsei was needed and desperately so, and he saw the healer a few paces ahead of him. Many of the servants scrambled to get out of their way as they tore through the halls and into the outer courtyard. The entire time, InuTaisho thought of Inuyasha and the fear his youngest was enduring.
InuTaisho and Shinsei met NatsuMaru at the gate. The warrior grasped the injured child close to him until he saw the healer. In the time it took InuTaisho to blink, NatsuMaru handed the boy over to Shinsei. Dark hair flowed between the two males, and InuTaisho halted. Dark hair? Inuyasha's hair was silver, much like his own, and the daiyoukai glanced at his friend.
“NatsuMaru . . .”
“He's a wolf child, my lord,” NatsuMaru said. “He was injured in a skirmish with some bird demons. I do not doubt his tribe will be soon be searching for him. I have sent word to Lord Akira of what's happened and where the boy is. However, I feel I must return to your brother's lands and soon. A battle is brewing, my lord, and I fear it threatens both the wolf tribes and all within the Northern Lands.”
“Where is Inuyasha?” InuTaisho inquired. Already, the healer disappeared into the palace, the injured boy with him. From behind NatsuMaru, Inuyasha appeared. The boy clung to his back.
“I'm right here, Father.”
InuTaisho's shoulders slumped in relief, and he reached for his son. A few of the servants started to gather around them, eager to hear whatever news NatsuMaru had. The moment Inuyasha was in his arms, InuTaisho hugged him close.
“Tell me, NatsuMaru, what happened?”
“Of course, my Lord,” NatsuMaru murmured, bowing. “We were leaving Lord Akira's home, near the borders of the wolf tribes and his lands. Your brother insisted upon an escort through the lands due to the amount of fighting between Kaito's people and his. He wished for Inuyasha to be safe.”
InuTaisho nodded as he listened, keeping a firm grip on his youngest. It sounded like his older brother, after all, and InuTaisho could not blame him for wanting to ensure a guest's safety.
“I am guessing there were some wolves along the borders, hunting for food. I cannot be sure, though,” NatsuMaru continued. “I saw no kills, and the wolves we saw were massacred by these bird demons. I daresay the wolves held their own against these beasts, despite their few numbers. Inuyasha was the one to see one of the demons attacking the boy. He called out for me to do something.”
“And you saved the boy.”
“I am hoping so, my lord,” NatsuMaru said. “His wounds are healing but not the way they should. Perhaps it is because he is still young, but it does not seem right, this slow healing rate. I fear poison though I did not detect anything amiss as we traveled.”
“You did the right thing, bringing him here,” InuTaisho said. He glanced at his son then back at NatsuMaru. “Return to Akira. Let him know what you may suspect and that I intend to send him help in dealing with these bird demons. Who is the wolf tribe leader in the north?”
“I believe his name is Kaito, my Lord.”
“See if he will allow you to speak with him,” InuTaisho said. “He should know one of his tribe's young is safe and in capable hands. We will return him as soon as he is well. Go now.”
“As you wish, my Lord.”
NatsuMaru bowed again, reached over and touched Inuyasha upon his head, and then turned to leave. With great celerity, the elite warrior disappeared from sight. InuTaisho resisted the urge to let out a heavy sigh. NatsuMaru's news did not bode well for Akira or his lands, and InuTaisho found he cared not for such ill tidings. He even felt sympathetic for Kaito and his people, despite the long centuries of hatred between wolves and inuyoukai. Already, he knew he would be leaving to assist his older brother.
“Father . . .”
At the sound of Sesshomaru's voice, InuTaisho turned. Concern shimmered in his oldest son's eyes, though his expression remained stoic.
“You will need to protect our lands while I am away,” InuTaisho said.
“You are leaving? When?”
“On the morrow,” he replied. “Akira will have need of my assistance before too much longer. I am sure of it.”
Displeasure flashed briefly across Sesshomaru's face, but the younger demon did not speak of it. Instead, he nodded and reached for Inuyasha, and the hanyou reached for his older brother.
“I am sure you will want to take a few warriors with you,” Sesshomaru said. “To supplement with the ones Uncle Akira already commands.”
“Sesshomaru, I . . .”
“There is a threat brewing within Uncle Akira's lands,” the younger demon said. His gaze met InuTaisho's, and the daiyoukai was reminded very strongly of himself when he was Sesshomaru's age. “This threat could spread throughout all of the lands, including our home. I understand, Father. You need to go, to protect your family, and I will do my best to not disappoint you. Just do not forget we are waiting for you here.”
His son's words were profound, well-spoken, and InuTaisho found himself speechless. He was saved from speaking, though. Inuyasha lifted his head to look at Sesshomaru's face.
“Aniki, I wish to see the wolf-boy . . . he's with Shinsei.”
“Of course, otouto.”
With a final glance in his direction, Sesshomaru turned and headed for the healer's home. A feeling of pride swelled within InuTaisho's chest at the same time he felt a pang of loss. His sons were growing and so quickly before his very eyes, and he knew he was missing some very important moments in their lives. For the first time in his long life, InuTaisho felt torn between his younger brother and his sons. He wanted to stay, to be with them and to share in those moments, more than anything. InuTaisho lifted his gaze towards the sky.
“Father,” he murmured, mostly to himself. “What would you do?”
* * *
“Father isn't going to Uncle Akira,” Inuyasha murmured. At his brother's quiet declaration, Sesshomaru tilted his head. They were nearing Shinsei's quarters, and it was the first time Inuyasha had spoken since he said he wanted to see the wolf-child.
“He isn't?”
“No,” Inuyasha said, shaking his head. “He's going to stay here. He wants to stay here. I can feel it.”
“Who will go to Uncle Akira then?” he inquired. “I have no doubts about Father's words. Uncle Akira will need assistance, and Father is an excellent warrior next to NatsuMaru.”
Inuyasha's puppy ears flicked. Then he shrugged.
“I don't know,” the boy replied. “I just know Father isn't going to leave.”
“I see . . .” Sesshomaru fell silent for a moment. “And what of our wolf friend? Do you know if he will survive whatever is ailing him?”
“I think he will.” Inuyasha smiled faintly. “He's too stubborn to give up.”
“That is good to hear. I am sure his parents will be pleased to hear he will be all right.”
“Uh-huh . . . they're probably really worried about him, aren't they?”
“Yes,” Sesshomaru answered. “They probably are very worried about their son.”
“I don think he should be alone right now. He's probably really scared.”
Sesshomaru said nothing to Inuyasha's words. He could only imagine what his brother was thinking and feeling, and the memories that had to be haunting him. There was a time when Inuyasha was in this new child's position, fighting for his life, but the prince knew there was a difference between Inuyasha's situation and the one for the wolf-child. His brother's attackers had been his mother's servants. According to what he heard, the wolf-child had been attacked by large birds with human-like creatures sprouting from their backs. Sesshomaru gave his younger brother a gentle squeeze.
“I am sure you will help him to chase his fears away, Inuyasha. You are a brave child, you know.”
“You really think so?”
“I know you are,” Sesshomaru replied. “You are my brother.”
Inuyasha spoke no more, his gaze traveling from Sesshomaru to Shinsei's home. The scent of the wolf-child's blood grew stronger as they approached, and Sesshomaru lowered his brother to the ground. Inuyasha ran towards the shoji, resembling a blur of blue and white more than a hanyou child. Sesshomaru allowed himself a faint smile. His brother, it seemed, would be taking his words to heart, and it pleased him.
`Do not lose your desire to help others, otouto,' he prayed. `Do not become like me. It is not something I am sure I can bear.'
* * *
“Lord Kaito, a messenger has appeared. He says he brings news of Prince Kouga.”
The wolf demon leader lifted his head, unable to refrain from showing any kind of emotion. He could not help himself. His heart started to beat a little faster, hope blossoming within his chest at the same time as despair, and he could not tell whether the warrior standing before him was frightened or excited. The man trembled so.
“Who is this messenger?” he asked. “Did he say if his news is good or bad?”
“It is NatsuMaru, my liege,” the other male said. He inhaled a little. “He did not say if the news was good or bad. He only said he wished to speak with the child's parents first. Kouga's blood and scent are all over him, though.”
“Blood . . .” Kaito felt himself slumping, the desire to vomit strong. “Send . . . send him in . . .”
“As you wish, my liege.”
The messenger hurried out, leaving Kaito alone for the time being. A thousand thoughts tossed about in his head, like leaves in a whirlwind. His son's blood . . . on an inuyoukai warrior, and Kaito was nowhere near the boy to soothe any fears. That idea alone frightened and agitated the wolf demon leader.
From outside his audience chamber (the largest of the caves with torches for light), Kaito heard voices, detected the faint scent of his son, and he glanced in the direction his subordinate had disappeared. He recognized two of the voices as those of his tribe. The third voice . . . it sounded smooth, like a still pond, strong like the inuyoukai warrior NatsuMaru was, and it contained all the hints of warning and danger Kaito had come to expect from an inuyoukai. He wondered what the warrior looked like, if he even resembled any of his clansmen.
His wonderings soon came to an end. The voices stopped speaking within moments of starting, and a tall warrior, taller than any wolf demon, strode into his audience.
NatsuMaru's stride was one of purpose and one of confidence, and Kaito found himself respecting the warrior instantly. His silver hair had been pulled into a topknot to the back of his head, brushed and flowing like a river. Dark amber eyes gazed forward, gazed directly at Kaito, and the warrior stopped a respectful distance away. Like his clansmen, NatsuMaru bore three smooth, green stripes upon both sides of his face, though their colour was darker than those of the ones Kaito encountered. A long, elegant, and beautifully designed (and undoubtedly deadly) sword hung at the warrior's side. Upon stopping, NatsuMaru offered Kaito a half-bow.
“Kaito, of the wolf demon tribe of the north . . .”
“That is me,” he replied. “I am told you bear news of my son.”
“Hai,” NatsuMaru said, his posture straight and regale. “I do bear news of your son. I can tell you that, when I last saw him, he was alive.”
“When you last saw him? What do you mean by that?” Kaito demanded. Fear and anger gripped him, and he rose to his feet.
“It means I left him in the care of a healer,” the warrior answered. “As soon as I reported what I encountered to Lord InuTaisho, I returned here, to aide Lord Akira with these beasts. Lord InuTaisho also requested that I inform the boy's parents of his whereabouts and his condition. He promises the boy will be returned as soon as he is well.”
“You sound confident that my son is still alive,” Kaito remarked. NatsuMaru gave a slight nod of his head.
“I have faith and trust in the abilities of our healers,” NatsuMaru said.
“Is that why you took my son to the Western Lands?”
“Your son's wounds were not healing as they should,” the warrior replied. “I could not be sure if he was poisoned or not, and, if he was, our healers are more capable of discovering and combating the toxins. Their knowledge is great, and it runs deep into their bones. They know of things other healers do not. I do not mean to sound mistrustful, but I wished for the boy to live. I took him to the healer I've trusted with my life. I do hope you understand.”
Kaito nodded, and he closed his eyes. He did understand, and he could not say he would have acted differently in the warrior's stead. He felt relieved to hear his son was in capable hands, and his shoulders sagged. Then he remembered what his warriors told him, of another child present during this unprecedented attack. Kaito opened his eyes.
“And what of the other child?” he asked. “Two of my warriors survived the attack. One told me he heard the voice of another child. Is the other child safe?”
“Prince Inuyasha is quite safe,” NatsuMaru replied, a half grin forming. “It is because of Prince Inuyasha your son is still alive. He was the one to see the boy first and direct my attention to his predicament.”
“The hanyou prince?!” Kaito blurted out, shocked. As far as he knew, all inuyoukai knew how wolf demons felt about half-breeds. Why would one child care and say something?
“This surprises you?” NatsuMaru inquired.
“To be quite honest, yes!” the wolf leader exclaimed. “You cannot tell me the boy does not know of the war between our kinsmen. It is simply unheard of for a dog to spare a wolf!”
“Children are the most interesting and the most surprising of creatures,” NatsuMaru murmured. “I am sure that, if Kouga and Inuyasha meet, they will not see each other as either wolf demon or inu hanyou. They will simply see another child with whom to converse and to play. They only know of differences between our kinds because it is what they are taught.”
“You speak with such wisdom,” Kaito said. He tilted his head to one side. “You have children of your own?”
“No . . . I have merely observed young pups at play. That is all.”
“I see,” the wolf leader murmured. He then straightened his back and faced NatsuMaru's gaze directly. There were probably very few who could do such a thing, and Kaito believed they were probably the very lords whom NatsuMaru served. “I am guessing Lord Akira knows of the events that have taken place. Do you believe he will become involved?”
“Despite what you may think, Kaito, you are in Lord Akira's lands and therefore counted as being among his people,” NatsuMaru answered. There was no haughtiness or indignation in his voice. The inuyoukai warrior spoke with a matter-of-fact ease and coolness. “Wolf demon or no, he is sworn to protect all who live within his lands. You may not serve him, but he is honour-bound to protect you.”
“As I thought might happen,” Kaito replied with a weary sigh. “Wolves and dogs are not known for getting along and coming to a compromise.”
“But they have come together to face a common foe,” NatsuMaru said. “I have seen many things under the sun, Kaito. I recall a time when wolves and dogs lived side by side. There will be a time when it will happen again.”
“Then I will hope to be alive to see such a day come,” Kaito responded. He took a step forward then offered the warrior a slight bow. “I thank you, NatsuMaru. Not only for your words of days gone by but for saving the life of my child. If it were not for you, I fear the worst could have befallen the boy. Now, if you will excuse me, I must see to my clan. These bird demons are hunting us, and I will not risk the lives of our women and cubs by keeping them here.”
“A wise decision, Kaito.” NatsuMaru paused. “Lead them to Lord InuTaisho's lands. I will see to it that you have a safe escort.” The warrior stood taller then, if such a thing were possible. His hand went to his chest in a straight-armed salute. “May we draw swords together in battle.” Then he turned and left, as if he had not been there.