InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Darkness Within ❯ The Darkness Within ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome returned home from the feudal era for the first time in what seemed like forever. While there, she was able to catch up in all of her classes. She decided to go back to the feudal era early because she didn't want to get too attached to being home.
 
Upon her arrival in the feudal era she found only peace and quiet.
'Inuyasha and the others must be out after a demon or something.'
 
Then, all of a sudden, she was attacked from behind and knocked unconscious by an unknown assailant. When she woke up she found herself in complete darkness. When she tried to walk, she realized that there was a shackle around her ankle and a chain that led to the cold wall behind her. Kagome tried, but was unable to remove the end of the chain from its place lodged in the stone wall.
 
At the other end of the room, something glinted in an unseen light and caught Kagome's eye. She saw the glint again, and again, and again; each time, getting steadily closer. Finally, Kanna appeared - pearly white- from the darkness. Kagome, fearing the capture of her soul, tried to escape, but the shackle and chain made it impossible. Now, she really began to panic.
 
`Will anyone come to rescue me? Does anyone even know I've been captured? Probably not. I'm not expected back until the tomorrow, and by then, who knows if I'll still be alive?'
 
The more she thought, the more darkness grew in her heart. Then, Naraku appeared in front of her. He wore an evil smile and Kagome knew this could not end well.
 
“I require your form, Kagome.”
 
Kanna, following orders discussed before Kagome's arrival, presented her mirror to Kagome. Then, Kanna began to drain Kagome of her contaminated soul. When half of Kagome's soul was swallowed by the mirror, Kanna stopped her work, turned to face Naraku, and handed him the mirror. Naraku absorbed the mirror, containing half of Kagome's soul, into his body. As he did, his body began to change. Before Kagome knew it, an exact copy of her stood where Naraku had once been. She noticed that Naraku's aura had disappeared as well.
 
(A/N Naraku looks, smells, and sounds like Kagome now)
“Thank you for letting me use your form Kagome. This will make my job so much easier. You will be watching the whole marvelous event in Kanna's new mirror.” As he said this, a new mirror, slightly different from the original one, appeared in Kanna's hands. “When I have finished my business, I will come back and end your pathetic life once and for all.” Naraku then departed into the darkness.
 
Inuyasha had been very reluctant to leave Kaede's village and the well. He knew the minute they were out of range of the well, Kagome would return. The demon they had set out to exterminate was more formidable than Inuyasha had anticipated. It took more time and energy to kill the quick and elusive demon. Inuyasha, eager to get back to the well and wait for Kagome, slew the demon as fast as he was able to and demanded they go straight back after killing the beast.
 
Miroku had to leave the group for a while to attend to some business after receiving a distressed message from Hatchi. Sango, knowing the group didn't have any solid leads on the Sacred Jewel shards, decided to go back to the slayers' village to tend to the graves, and to do some work on hiraikotsu. Shippo went with Sango to avoid being with Inuyasha because he had been severely irritating the hanyou since Kagome had been away. So Inuyasha hurriedly went back to Kaede's village alone. When he got back he instinctively went to the well and found Kagome climbing out of it.
 
"Hey Inuyasha! I'm not late, am I?"
"No, I just got back from a demon hunt."
"Where is everyone else?"
"Well, Miroku left with Hatchi, and the others went to the slayers' village. They won't be back for a while."
"Oh, I see." Naraku smiled inwardly at this. "Hey, Inuyasha, I need to tell you something."
"What is it?"
"Well... I don't know how to say this, but I'm not who I say I am."
 Inuyasha's calm, loving expression became one of confusion. "What do you mean Kagome?"
"I'm...I'm not Kagome...” Inuyasha didn't seem to understand, “...there never was a Kagome at all."
"Wha...then...who are you?" His expression turned to that of slight panic.
“I'm...” Her sad expression changed to one of malicious amusement. “...Naraku!” As she said this, Kagome transformed into Naraku. “KUKUKU!!! Fool! How easily you fell to my deception; but then again, you are just a miserable half breed!”
"But...but how?!" Inuyasha said feeling hurt and betrayed.
"Simple enough when you are as clever as me. I knew you'd fall for 'Kikyo's reincarnation', but I didn't realize you'd go for my bait so soon! KUKUKU!!!"
"This whole time...".
"Yes Inuyasha, you fell in love with your arch enemy! STUPID HANYOU!!"
"You …! How dare you toy with people's emotions!!!"
 
(A/N during the conversation they walked to the Sacred Tree)
Inuyasha jumped forward to strike Naraku, but Naraku was too quick and stabbed Inuyasha in the shoulder with one of his tentacles, pinning him up against the Sacred Tree: the same spot Inuyasha had been sealed to by Kikyo 50 years ago. Inuyasha was furious at Naraku for such a vile act of deception.
 
Kagome was horrified by Naraku's evil plan. She kept screaming to Inuyasha that Naraku was lying, but in the back of her mind, she knew it was futile. The more she watched, the more evil and tainted her heart and soul became. Naraku could feel the darkness growing within him, as he still contained half of Kagome's soul. He smiled to himself evilly, deciding to draw the 'battle' to a close. So he poisoned Inuyasha with his toxic miasma and released him. Inuyasha fell to the ground, lying in the growing pool of his own blood.
'Now he can die, alone. Someone will find him... eventually.'
 
As Kagome saw Naraku walking away, leaving Inuyasha mangled on the ground, she was pushed beyond her limit and was transformed into a dark priestess. Her soul was black with her hatred of Naraku.
 
Naraku, unaware that his plot to kill Inuyasha would cause such an event, was injured by the once pure(ish) half of Kagome's soul as it became more evil than he could ever imagine. He couldn't stand to be in contact with it for fear of being consumed by Kagome's evil spirit. So, he discarded the soul and it went back to its body- only to make her more evilly powerful.
 
(A/N when Kagome went evil, the shackle and chain were broken by her power)
Kagome, being consumed and controlled by her evil heart, got up and left without any interference. (any demons that would've interfered in her departure was killed by Kagome's evil aura) By the time she was finished destroying the nearest town, she had new clothes (tsubaki style- navy blue with red and black spider web designs).
 
One of Kikyo's soul collectors came back with a report that Kagome was going around destroying entire villages, leaving no survivors. Immediately, Kikyo set out to find Kagome and put an end to this massacre. Kikyo soon found an almost unrecognizable Kagome on her way to the next village.
 
"Kagome, how pathetic of you. You truly are just a vile copy of me."

Inuyasha, barely alive because of the powerful miasma flowing through his body, limped up the path to come across a bewildering sight: Kikyo and Kagome in a deadly looking face off. (A/N he could just tell because...ya - who wouldn't be able to recognize the one you loved then got betrayed by?) Inuyasha noticed something though about Kagome, after catching a quick glance into her eyes, he say pain, sorrow, and anger. He then realized that this wasn't Naraku... it couldn't be. It was the Kagome that he loved.
 
'Naraku you…, you impersonated Kagome to make me hate her and then kill me! How dare you!!!!!!!' This new anger towards Naraku gave his some strength.
 
Kagome didn't make any effort to respond to Kikyo's comment, but took a battle stance. Kikyo then loaded her bow, while Kagome drew forth her deadly evil aura and attacked. (A/N when Kagome fights, she uses her evil aura as weapon like Sesshomaru's poison claws/Naraku's tentacles - evil aura attacks enemy and removes life energy and absorbs it- making Kagome more powerful) Kikyo shot her arrow without consideration of Kagome's life.
 
The arrow went straight through Kagome's attack- purifying it, and then the arrow pierced Kagome's heart, slowly purifying her spirit as well. Kikyo then left, having finished what she had set out to do. Inuyasha hurried out from his hiding place to Kagome's body. As he leaned down and lifted her into his arms, she looked at him -shocked. Inuyasha, knowing he didn't have much time, leaned down and tenderly pressed his lips to Kagome's. She melted into the kiss, which quickly turned from a simple kiss to a very passionate one. Then, it was cruelly ended as death overcame Kagome. Inuyasha watched as her spirit rose into the air and then disappeared. Upon looking down, he saw that her body was gone and that the wicked outfit she had so recently worn, had turned into the school uniform that Kagome wore whenever she was with Inuyasha. He cried out in pain and sorrow. This new feeling overwhelmed him, and the poison consumed him- killing him once and for all. So all that was left of the once happy and loving couple was a body, and the attire of his lover.