InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Definition of Normal ❯ That Thing Called Revenge ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

NOTES: I'm back again and hopefully better than ever with chapter four of this lovely little story! Well, perhaps evil would be a better adjective...anyway, the long awaited chapter has arrived, and it is going to be such FUN, hehe! Please enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it...
 
Oh, and as always, thanks to everyone who left reviews! It makes all my hard work more than worth it when I know I've entertained someone.
 
Warning: Coarse language alert where Inuyasha is concerned, as usual.
 
Italics indicate flashback.
 
.
 
.
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing, though if I did, I would gladly rent the characters out to fan fiction authors for a small fee. So I guess it is a good thing I don't own them, hmmm? Count your blessings, people, count your blessings...
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
The Definition of Normal
Chapter Four
 
.
 
.
 
The day had barely begun, yet Kagome already had a headache.
 
“I feel like I have a hangover.” Kagome moaned out loud to no one in particular. A random pedestrian gave her an odd look as she passed him, but the miserable girl didn't even notice. Instead, she had one hand over her eyes in an attempt to rub them clear of the grit that had moved in overnight. “I think I'm getting to old for this. I swear, I'm never going to participate in another slumber party as long as I live!” Sighing despondently, Kagome uncovered her eyes before she ended up running into someone and making her day even worse than it was already going to be.
 
Despite the fact that she was verbally accusing the slumber party for her current ills, Kagome knew the real reason she was so miserable...and it had nothing at all to do with not getting enough sleep because of her giggly, boy crazy friends.
 
No, it was because her ill-fated `day of doom' was upon her already.
 
After Yuka and Eri had successfully cornered her into accepting a blind date the night before, the two girls eventually confessed that the whole thing had been a setup courtesy of Miroku. Kagome might have suspected her grandfather, but Miroku? She was going to have a few...words...with him when she arrived home.
 
“Figures he would have my friends' phone numbers.” The weary girl grumbled as she approached the base of the shrine stairs. “He probably stole them out of my notebook so he could flirt with them. Hopeless pervert.”
 
As annoyed as she was with Miroku, however, that wasn't the real reason she was so convinced her day was going to be bad. It actually had more to do with the OTHER thing her dear friends had confessed that had her so upset.
 
 
“Kagome-chan...um...there is one more thing you need to know.” Yuka actually looked a bit timid, which wasn't like the normally outgoing girl at all. Just noticing that was enough to send Kagome's stomach skydiving to her toes. A hesitant Yuka or Eri could never, ever be a good sign.
 
“You mean you aren't finished ruining my life?” Their victim joked nervously, absently wringing the hem of her pajama top with her hands.
 
Ayumi laughed out loud, thinking it was just a joke, but the other two exchanged wary glances before looking back at their most likely unstable friend. Too much upsetting news was likely to send her over the edge, but did they really have a choice but to tell her? It was all already done, after all, so there wasn't much they could do about it.
 
“Actually...” Eri began, steeling her courage. Taking a deep breath, she decided to just plunge in and get the worst part over with before she could back down. “Kagome-chan, your date will meet you at the shrine tomorrow around noon.”
 
“WHAT?!?!?!”
 
 
Taking a deep breath as she reached the top of the shrine steps, Kagome smiled as she remembered the beating she'd given those two with a pillow after Eri's announcement. It wasn't much, but at least it gave her some small revenge.
 
“Welcome home!” Miroku cheerfully greeted as he spotted her from his place in front of the house. He was still in the process of doing her morning chore of sweeping, though it was already well past ten.
 
Kagome returned the greeting in a subdued tone, but Miroku seemed not to notice her odd attitude.
 
“So, did you have fun with those lovely friends of yours?” He smiled wistfully and stopped sweeping so he could lean on the handle of the broom. “Ah, to be able to spend the night with, not one, but THREE beautiful ladies. No heaven more wonderful than that could possibly exist...” His dazed expression was accompanied by a mournful sigh. “If only...”
 
Rolling her eyes at his dramatics, Kagome snatched the broom out from under him and smiled as he fell flat on his face. Maybe the old saying was right, after all. The little pleasures in life were the best ones!
 
Miroku pushed himself up and spit out a few leaves that had been in a nice, neat little pile a few moments ago. “So, I take it you know?” He eyed her warily and she stood over his prone form still wielding the potential weapon she'd stolen from him.
 
Kagome feigned a smile. “I don't know what you mean.” She replied innocently. “Anyway, I think you need to get up and finish sweeping before Grandpa catches you taking a nap on the job.”
 
Deciding it was better not to argue with her at the moment, Miroku reluctantly stood back up and took the broom from her waiting hand.
 
Satisfied that he was going to get back to work, Kagome moved to go into the house and nearly laughed at the relieved look on his face. Obviously he thought that the worst of her wrath was over with. Stepping inside, she stopped and turned around before closing the door. “Oh, Miroku, by the way...when you're done, I want to see you and Grandpa in the house.”
 
The young monk stiffened a moment before turning to her and smiling brightly. “Of course, Kagome-sama! Anything for you.”
 
Nodding briefly at his response, Kagome closed the door without another word.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
~*~*~*~
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
"I still can't believe you both set me up like this!" Kagome glared at the two men standing before her, hoping to strike some kind of fear into them. It didn't work, however, and she nearly gave in to the temptation to pull her hair out in frustration when neither had the good grace to even look the least bit guilty.
 
It was after eleven by the time Kagome had managed to herd Miroku and her grandfather into one room, and said girl was currently trying to forget the fact that her date with the devil was almost upon her. Instead of worrying, she was focusing her attention on the culprits who had started the whole mess. Oh, if only she were a more violent person...not that she would hurt her grandfather. Miroku was a different story.
 
"Kagome-sama..." Miroku stepped forward. "I swear I did not mean to damage your trust in me.” He reached out and grasped both her hands in his while gazing into her eyes seriously. “If you deem it so, I would gladly run away with you to save you from this evil fiend!”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and disengaged her hands from his, but before she could respond her grandfather popped Miroku upside the head.
 
"The moment things start looking dangerous, you turn your back on me, boy! Did your father teach you nothing about loyalty and dignity?!?" For having such a small stature, Tomita-san was doing an excellent job of intimidating the much taller, younger man beside him. He nearly had poor Miroku backed into a corner simply by brandishing a shaking fist. "I won't have a dishonorable young man staying in this home, so I suggest you do as I say and not go against me!"
 
Giving Kagome a woeful, dramatic glance, Miroku nodded his compliance to her grandfather. So much for trying to be nice.
 
Sighing in irritation, Kagome decided to let it go and just concentrate on survival. That meant learning as much about the enemy as she could. "Well, I guess since I have no choice now, I suppose I should ask you about this guy. Who is he and what old friend of yours is he related to?"
 
The heavy cynicism in Kagome's voice went unnoticed and Tomita looked as pleased as if his only granddaughter had announced she was getting married. He was really far too happy over having won one small battle and not having yet won the war. "I actually haven't met him myself, but he comes highly recommended by Kaede-san. You remember her, child?"
 
"Let me think..." Kagome searched her mind for any memories of someone by that name, but was coming up empty. "No, Grandpa, I can't recall. When did I meet her?"
 
"Kids these days!" Tomita threw up his wrinkled hands in disgust. "At your age I had a sharp memory and could remember everyone I'd ever met! Why, even now I can remember it all! Young ones these days don't train their minds like I had to when I was young. I practiced long hard hours-"
 
There was a sudden knock at the door, and all three in the group froze. Neither Kagome nor her grandfather noticed the look of shock that quickly passed over Miroku's face.
 
Feeling a growing dread in the pit of her stomach, Kagome glanced at her watch and nearly turned green when she noticed how late it was. Was it almost noon already?!?! It was amazing how spending time with her crazy grandfather could completely skewer one's sense of time.
 
After several moments passed and no one answered the door, another impatient knock sounded. Obviously whoever the young man was, he hated to be kept waiting.
 
Tomita rubbed his hands together gleefully. "Well, Kagome, why don't you answer the door and invite him in? As the head of the house, I must assure myself that he is indeed suitable for my only granddaughter." When she didn't move and instead just stared warily at the door, he finally had to physically shoo her in the right direction by flapping his arms. "Hurry up, girl! He's waiting!"
 
Realizing that her grandfather wouldn't rest until he got his way, Kagome reluctantly moved towards the door as slowly as if she were being forced to wade through molasses. The entire way she silently prayed that some miracle would intercede for her at the last moment. A giant meteor hitting the house, perhaps? Aliens? Anything would be better than what she was about to have to deal with!
 
At the same time that Kagome was trying to decide how likely an invasion from Mars was, Miroku was slowly edging himself out of the line of fire by moving into the kitchen, where he would still have a good view of all the action. No one in their right mind would miss the show about to take place, even at the threat of bodily harm. After all, he knew what Tomita didn't because unlike the old man, Miroku had a few spiritual powers and could sense certain things about those around him.
 
'Yes,' Miroku thought with a small grin as Kagome slowly slid the door open. 'Things are about to get VERY interesting, indeed...'
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
If Inuyasha hadn't been in a bad mood before, he was feeling particularly foul while waiting for someone to open the damn door. What the hell was taking them so long, anyway?!?! It wasn't as if they weren't expecting him, so why make him wait so long?
 
'Keh, not that I'm really anxious to go on this stupid date.' Inuyasha scowled at the thought. 'I just wanna get it over with so I can tell them both that they can go to hell with their stupid ideas about me needing a girlfriend. Crazy old busy-body women!'
 
Inuyasha cringed at the thought of actually calling either woman that to their face. Both could be scary in their own way when needed, so while he might be far stronger than either, fear implanted in him as a child by both women still remained true and strong. How else were two human women able to control a stubborn, strong-willed hanyou when needed?
 
Just as the said hanyou was able to get his thoughts back on track to his current situation, the door in front of him slid open to reveal a surprisingly normal looking girl. Well, normal if you didn't count the scowl on her face fierce enough to match his own, though it quickly turned to an expression of shock upon getting a good look at him. What had her so surprised, anyway?
 
"You...you..." The girl had started stuttering, causing Inuyasha to feel exasperated and more than a little worried. What had Kaede and his mother gotten him into, anyway? A blind date with someone who had a speech impediment? "I-I can't believe..."
 
"What's the matter, girl? Stop stuttering and invite the boy inside! Have you forgotten all the manners your mother and I have ever taught you?" At the end of the admonishment, a very short and very old man that reminded Inuyasha somewhat of Kaede came tottering up to whom was obviously his granddaughter. He peered around her just as she was obeying her grandfather and opening the door wider to admit him.
 
"Forgive my manners and please come in! My name is Higurashi Kagome."
 
If things had been strange a moment ago, they were doubly so as the girl named Kagome suddenly seemed very happy to see him, and the old man switched from welcoming to threatening at the drop of a hat. Their sudden change in attitude towards him caused Inuyasha to be wary as he accepted the invitation and stepped inside the door. And for good reason, as he was about to find out...
 
"DEMON!!!! Begone from this shrine immediately!" With a small roar that was probably meant to be intimidating but fell far short, the old man grabbed a piece of paper from his clothes and tried to slap it on his guest's forehead. It wasn't difficult to dodge the pathetic attack, but it still ticked Inuyasha off.
 
"What the hell is your problem, you crazy old man!?!"
 
"Now, now..." Kagome latched onto her Grandfather's clothing before he could launch another attack, and patted his shoulder soothingly. The expression on her face was strange, but without knowing the girl, Inuyasha couldn't put his finger on what it was. "Grandpa, that's no way to treat a guest in our home. Especially one that you yourself invited. So please behave yourself!" The last words she spoke were as hard the first words were soft, an obvious warning that no one missed.
 
'Damn, there really is something weird going on here. First she seemed upset to see me, then she seemed happy, and now she's just acting...strange. And the old man seemed happy, then angry before he started shouting about me being a demon...' As if someone had switched a light bulb on in his head, Inuyasha suddenly realized, at least in part, what all of the craziness was about. 'They didn't know that I'm a hanyou, did they? Aw, hell...'
 
Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts when he suddenly realized that Kagome had just asked him something. "Uh...name's Inuyasha. Takahashi Inuyasha."
 
"Well, Takahashi-san!" Kagome might have been happy to see him before, but it was nothing compared to the nearly brittle brightness she was displaying at the moment. "If we don't get going soon, we'll never get to enjoy our date! Goodbye Grandpa, and be good! Miroku, don't let him get into any trouble, and YOU stay out of trouble as well!"
 
Inuyasha barely managed to catch a glimpse of a dark-haired male lurking in the kitchen doorway before the girl unceremoniously grabbed his arm and escorted him from the house before her Grandfather could form another objection. She was dragging him along nearly at a run when her grandfather managed to yell out one last threat. "Demon, if you so much as harm a hair on my only granddaughter's head-!" before he could finish, he was jerked back into the house and the door was slammed shut, effectively cutting off any further pursuit as the pair neared the end of the shine staircase.
 
When they reached the bottom, Inuyasha jerked to a stop and yanked his arm out of her grasp, but the girl didn't protest as she stopped to catch her breath. He didn't speak but instead just stood there and eyed her doubtfully. She really needed to do some explaining, and he wasn't going to budge from that spot until she did, no matter what.
 
Just then, Kagome suddenly doubled over and started laughing.
 
"What the hell-?" For a moment he considered just leaving her there since she was obviously crazy, and the temptation to just blow off the whole thing was strong, but curiosity finally won out. He could ditch her later if he needed to, but first he really wanted to know what was going on! "Oi, quit laughing, would you?" He demanded crossly. "What the hell is the deal with you and your crazy ass grandfather?"
 
Making an obvious effort, Kagome straightened up and used the back of her hand to wipe tears from her eyes. A few more stray giggles escaped, but she finally seemed to be back under control. "I'm sorry, but..." Another small laugh came out before she could continue, and Inuyasha had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. "You see...um..."
 
"Would you just spit it out already?" Inuyasha huffed. This was getting old fast.
 
His attitude seemed to ruffle her good mood at last, and the giggles quickly turned into a frown. "You don't have to be so rude about it, you know. I'm trying to explain!"
 
"Keh. Could have fooled me."
 
"Ohhhh..." Kagome had begun to turn red from annoyance and anger as she faced the hanyou that her Grandfather had unwittingly set her up with. "You know, I'm already starting to regret that I decided to come with you, even if it was just to get revenge on Grandpa! I knew he'd hate it if I went out with anyone that wasn't human, but now I'm beginning to think that hanging around you for even a few hours wouldn't be worth it. Jerk!"
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened. "So you decided to go along with this just because I'm a freakin' hanyou? Hell, if that's the case then you're crazy, bitch!"
 
"Wha-?" If his eyes weren't witnessing it, he would have never believed she could turn redder than she already was. "Has anyone told you that you have a filthy mouth?"
 
Inuyasha smirked. "Yeah, but I've lost count."
 
Realizing that nothing else she could probably say would faze him in the least, Kagome sighed and admitted defeat. "Whatever. Look, I've already had to spend this much time around you so I might as well not let it go to waste. Let's just go find a way to kill a few hours and that way I'll at least get some kind of reward for my suffering."
 
"Keh. So why would I want to go anywhere with you if it's going to make you suffer?" He questioned her sarcastically. Shoving his hands in the pocket of his jeans, he scowled at her. "Just because you want to tick the old man off doesn't mean I have to go along with it. I did my part and showed up here like I was told, so that's it. I'm outta here...”
 
With that, Inuyasha turned around and walked off, leaving Kagome staring after him in shock.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Did he really just walk off and leave her standing there like that? Of all the nerve! Now what was she supposed to do? She couldn't just go back to the shrine because her Grandfather would be ecstatic that things didn't work out between her and the `demon.'
 
`I suppose I could kill a few hours and then just tell him we were out together the entire time.' Kagome contemplated. `But no, that wouldn't work at all. Miroku has told me hundreds of times how bad I am at lying. Everyone will be able to tell and then I'll never hear the end of it.' Groaning out loud, Kagome buried her face in her hands. “I've got to think of something!”
 
Suddenly, Kagome's head popped back up just in time to see Inuyasha's back as he rounded the corner at the end of the street. That was it! Oh, why hadn't she thought of it earlier? It was the perfect plan!
 
Kagome started down the street at a near run, praying that no one she was vaguely acquainted with was around to see her actually chasing a man. She would never live down the humiliation if that happened!
 
“Hey, wait!” Kagome called out as she too rounded the corner, knowing he could easily hear her with those dog ears of his.
 
Maybe he could, but that didn't mean he was planning to pay any attention to the crazy girl running after him. Instead he blatantly picked up the pace and tried to stay as far ahead of her as possible. He seemed to think that if he could ignore her long enough, she'd finally give up and go away.
 
Inuyasha apparently didn't realize how stubborn she was.
 
“I said STOP!” She shouted, picking up speed and not caring about all the stares she was receiving from other people on the street. “If you don't stop, I swear I'm going to tell Kaede-san everything!”
 
That did it.
 
Inuyasha swung around and pointed a clawed finger at her, looking angry and perhaps a little fearful. “You wouldn't dare!”
 
Too out of breath to argue with him for the moment, Kagome stopped a few feet away from him and leaned down to rest her hands on her knees. It was really hard running in a skirt and uncomfortable shoes, but Kagome seemed to be a pro at things like that. Probably from years of scaling the shrine stairs in nearly every type of girly clothing known to women.
 
“Listen,” Kagome said once she'd caught her breath. “I know you obviously don't like me, and right now the feeling is mutual-”
 
“Keh, talk about stating the obvious!”
 
Kagome glared at him for his unnecessary comment. “Just be quiet for a moment, would you? What I was trying to say is that even though we obviously don't like each other, I'm in a bind and YOU are going to help me whether you like it or not.”
 
The mix of disbelief and outrage on Inuyasha's face almost made her back down, but she managed not to give in. “What the HELL-!”
 
“WAIT!” Kagome held up a hand to his face before he could rail at her. “Before you start yelling at me, I'll go ahead and tell you why, and it's simple; if you don't go along with this, I'm going to get Kaede-san's contact information from my grandfather and proceed to make your life miserable if you don't. Understand?”
 
Inuyasha's earlier protests died as he stared at her in shock.
 
She seemed satisfied with the expression on his face. “Ah, so I guessed right! You're scared of her, and that's why you even agreed to go on this blind date. Am I correct?”
 
Inuyasha looked ready to blow his top at that accusation. “The HELL I am! Why would I be scared of that old hag?!?!”
 
“I'll tell her you said that, too.”
 
Kagome grinned and crossed her arms over her chest in a confident pose when Inuyasha couldn't seem to come up with anything horrible enough to call her. For him, that was saying a lot more than if he'd shouted numerous curses at her.
 
“It's only for a few hours, so you don't need to get so upset.” She reasoned. “Then I can hold it over Grandpa's head for a while and we'll never have to see each other again. That doesn't seem so bad, right?”
 
Inuyasha seemed to be considering his options. As she watched his expression change she knew she was winning, and sure enough when he spoke, it was exactly what she wanted to hear. “FINE! But it's NOT because I'm scared of anyone! I'm just doing it so you'll shut up and leave me alone!”
 
Kagome resisted the urge to laugh at him. “Fine, fine. I'll accept that.”
 
With that, their `date' officially began.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Meanwhile, back at Kaede's shrine, she suddenly sneezed.
 
“Kaede-san, are you feeling ill?” Kikyo asked in concern. Kaede was elderly, and to become ill with something even as simple as a cold could be dangerous.
 
A hoarse laugh was her response. “No, no, child. I am not ill. Most likely someone was talking about me.”
 
The younger woman eyed Kaede doubtfully. “Do you really believe in that old superstition?”
 
Another laugh. “If I am truthful, then no, I do not. If I know Inuyasha, however, he has probably said enough foul things about this old lady today that it might make a believer of even the most dedicated of skeptics.”
 
Sudden understanding dawned on Kikyo's face and she stopped sweeping to stare at her companion thoughtfully. The elder woman was sitting on the porch reading over some documents. “Kaede-san, I take it that you followed through with your plans.”
 
“Ah, I did.” She nodded, never looking up from what she was reading.
 
The place was quiet for a few moments as Kikyo digested this information.
 
Then, in an uncharacteristic move on her part, she smiled. It was a small smile, but a smile none-the-less.
 
Kaede never noticed.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
NOTES: Yes, things are getting uglier, aren't they? I really enjoyed writing this chapter! I think this is the first story I've written where both Inuyasha and Kagome seem to have a very strong dislike for each other, and I'm finding it a very entertaining situation to write. And trust me, things are going to have to get worse before they can get better, but that will just make things more fun!
 
I had some issues with this chapter, so thank my cousin for reading it over and telling me why I was unhappy with it, lol...it's amazing how you can feel that something is wrong, but it takes someone else to tell you exactly what. And hey, because of that, you got an extra 1,000 words because I had to add an entire scene to get it flowing correctly.
 
Please leave me your comments, and I look forward to hearing from you again in the next chapter...